Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Site Helper
#26 Old 4th May 2009 at 6:41 AM
I can't think of any reason why you can't have a rectangular basement and an irregularly shaped house. Of course, you'll have to plan your porch to take the basement shape into consideration.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#27 Old 5th May 2009 at 1:48 AM
The only reason might be if the basement was smaller than the house - with an old-fashioned foundation basement, you can't do that. Well, you can hollow out less than the full amount of foundation, but you can't have part of the ground floor on foundation and part not. Not without a lot of CFE carry-on.

Must give it a try.
Site Helper
#28 Old 5th May 2009 at 3:10 AM
The main problem that I can see is that a sim cannot travel from one level to another without stairs. Even if two levels are at exactly the same elevation, a sim will not be able to cross the level boundary. I don't know whether this applies to your situation, but it's something to keep in mind.
Test Subject
#29 Old 8th May 2009 at 6:24 PM
sorry if I am in the wrong place, I know it'll be nice to have a house with basement, this tutorial is great, but what I want to know is how to transform a first store house into a second store? (construct a second floor) every time I try, it says "need something to support" I don't know the meaning of that. I never made a house till now.Please, any help I do appreciate,Thanks a lot in advance
Alchemist
#30 Old 9th May 2009 at 3:49 AM
Not quite the right place, but it's easily answered - you need to see the white grid of sqaures that indicate you can build on that level. You may need to make an enclosed room, lay floor tiles, or use columns to get the second-storey grid.
Site Helper
#31 Old 9th May 2009 at 3:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
The only reason might be if the basement was smaller than the house - with an old-fashioned foundation basement, you can't do that. Well, you can hollow out less than the full amount of foundation, but you can't have part of the ground floor on foundation and part not. Not without a lot of CFE carry-on. Must give it a try.
You still aren't going to be able to have part of the main floor (level 3) on foundation and part on the ground. Is that what you were hoping to accomplish?

I've created a house with bay windows over a basement which does not include the bay area. As you can see from the attached picture, the bay windows stick out from the house at the same level as the rest of the main floor.

Is this what you're hoping to accomplish? If not, can you sketch something to show me what you want?
Screenshots
Alchemist
#32 Old 9th May 2009 at 6:56 AM
The bay I am currently using is filled in to ground level. Not a real bay window, just a bay shape on that part of the house.

What I meant was (no time for a pic today, see if this will do) to have the entry level of the house at ground level, as if it was built there, and entered normall without stairs. And basement dug out under that, without raising the house on foundation. I think I should be able to bury the basement completely with this new technique, but I'm not sure if sims will be able to enter the house without steps.

I don't bother with split-level building very much - it can be more effort to achieve than the effect is worth. It has bugged me, though, that it isn't possible to have a basement on a ground-level building.
Site Helper
#33 Old 9th May 2009 at 5:28 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 15th May 2009 at 9:18 PM.
Yes, after I posted this, I saw your uploaded house on the TS2GridAdjuster thread, so I was able to see what you are trying to accomplish. I continue to believe that it should work, although there may be problems with true basements in the base game. I honestly believe that you're on the right track, and that leaving some (or all) of the walls on the dummy level will effectively hide the non-basement area under the bay window.

I still want to try to determine the minimum EP requirements for this technique. As well, I'd like to see whether the base game issue can be resolved by having different ranges for level 1 and level 2, to reduce the likelihood of conflicts between the two levels. I'd also like to test whether the problem is being caused by the pond water record.

[Update] I haven't been able to get the GridAdjuster technique to work with anything up to and including OFB, or with Seasons or Bon Voyage. However, the technique definitely works with Mansion & Garden. I still need to test with FreeTime and Apartment Life. Can anyone verify whether the original tutorial works with the base game or any of the early EPs? It says OFB or later...

Alternative explanations why this isn't working for your bay window test (all disproved since I first posted):
- Elevation not -12 (unlikely).
- Your rotated version of Andi's shrunken lot.
- I've been using a true foundation for the dummy level in my tests.
[end update]

I believe that you can't have a true basement under a ground level entry. Why? Because anything with a true basement under it must be at least level 3 (level 0 is the ground level, level 1 is the dummy level, level 2 is the basement level). There is no way (that I know of) for a sim to travel from level 3 to level 0 without stairs (or an elevator). The minimum stair is 4 clicks. So, until someone comes up with a method for getting sims from level 0 to level 3 without any change in elevation, I don't believe that such a lot would be playable (although it could easily be created).

I have tried to think of some way to mod the lot package to create a zero-height "ramp" between two levels. But, I'm convinced that it can't be done.

I believe that there is only one way for something like this to work: for someone to find a way to create a stair or elevator which has a height of 0. Since I've never done object modding before, I'm probably not the person to do this. Perhaps it would be worth posting in the object creation forum to see whether anyone knows whether this is actually possible.
Site Helper
#34 Old 9th May 2009 at 6:23 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 10th May 2009 at 4:35 PM. Reason: Added aelflaed's suggstions.
OK, I spoke too soon. I've come up with a possible solution:

Try to convince everyone that level 3 is actually level 0. How?

- Ensure that level 3 is at an elevation of 0 for the entire lot. Or, perhaps an elevation just above 0, so that there will be no z-fighting.
- Put down floor tiles which look like grass on level 3 for the entire outside of the house, so that people can move around on that level.
- Move all your plants and flowers upstairs (using moveobjects?). You will also need a hack to allow plants on floor tiles.
- Move the road up to level 3; you'll have to unlock the road and sidewalk tiles in the catalog.
- Move the vehicle and pedestrian portals up to level 3; you'll have to use the portal revealer to move them.
- Move any driveways up. (Is this possible? Driveways always seem very difficult to place.)

Are you interested in trying this?

Oh, by the way, creating a house with a ground-elevation entry above a real basement is pretty easy. Just use my technique with an elevation of -16.
Alchemist
#35 Old 10th May 2009 at 12:23 PM Last edited by aelflaed : 10th May 2009 at 1:32 PM.
Yes, I could see that creating the lot itself was straightforward, but I didn't believe sims would be able to get into the house. As you said.

I can try your method for making level 3 look like level 0. Not sure about the driveway - would have to try it. I don't have trouble with driveways in the normal way, but I often use moveobjects and place only the extension.

The plants and flowers might be a problem as they would be placed on floor rather than ground, but I think there's a hack somewhere around to make that work better.

I've seen info also on unlocking those road and footpath tiles. Have to look for it. (EDIT - do you mean unlocking by showing them in the catalogue, or just unlocking all lot tiles with LotAdjuster?)

When you say "just above 0", what value are you thinking of? Remember I'm a bit numerically challenged.

Edit - you can have usable two-click stairs, but I've only managed it in combination with split-level houses and the stage tool.

More Edit - should windows placed in the basement level be usable? You can do that with traditional basements as long as they are six clicks or more above street level. One disadvantage of this new system would be if they cannot be naturally lit. I haven't been able to check this yet with the basegame houses, as I can't place things on the lower levels.

I've made a new basegame 3x2 lot, to try the level 3 entry. Nothing worth reporting thus far (the basement is not usable and sims can't get in) - but I have to try higher EPs next, as well as your other suggestions for fudging what level the sims think they are on.
Site Helper
#36 Old 10th May 2009 at 4:33 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 10th May 2009 at 4:44 PM.
I've seen info also on unlocking those road and footpath tiles. Have to look for it. (EDIT - do you mean unlocking by showing them in the catalogue, or just unlocking all lot tiles with LotAdjuster?)
I meant making the sidewalk and road tiles appear in the catalog. There's no other way that I know of to get a road on an upper level (short of modding 3D Array instance 0).

When you say "just above 0", what value are you thinking of? Remember I'm a bit numerically challenged.
If I were going to try this, I'd first remove everything from level 0 (including the road and sidewalk), then try an elevation of 0. If there's no z-fighting, then I'd stick with 0.

Assuming that there is z-fighting with an elevation of 0: If you're using clicks, then 1 click is "just above 0". If you're using floating point numbers, then I'd try .0001. If you still get z-fighting, I'd try .001, then .01, then .1. I imagine that one of these values would fix the problem, but would still be a lower elevation than 1 click.

Of course, you're aware that such lots are basically built over-the-road, and may not be able to be shared using traditional methods. (I've never tried this, so I can't say for sure without testing. During my work with the LevelAdder, a road on level 1 at an elevation of 16 clicks did not prevent moving the lot; being able to move a lot in the neighborhood view is a prerequisite to being able to share the lot as a Sims2Pack.)

Edit - you can have usable two-click stairs, but I've only managed it in combination with split-level houses and the stage tool.
That's good to know. I should fool around with that, since I prefer lower foundations. I, too, would love to have a ground level entry with a basement underneath.

More Edit - should windows placed in the basement level be usable? You can do that with traditional basements as long as they are six clicks or more above street level. One disadvantage of this new system would be if they cannot be naturally lit. I haven't been able to check this yet with the basegame houses, as I can't place things on the lower levels.
I've been able to place windows in these basements, but haven't noticed whether the sun comes in or not. I'll have to check.

I've made a new basegame 3x2 lot, to try the level 3 entry. Nothing worth reporting thus far (the basement is not usable and sims can't get in) - but I have to try higher EPs next, as well as your other suggestions for fudging what level the sims think they are on.
Again, I have no idea whether this will work or not. I still think that the best option is for someone to create a 0-click "stair". Then again, I'm not an object creator and have no idea how difficult that would be. The biggest advantage would be that these lots would be able to be shared as Sims2Packs, with a small amount of CC (0-click stair, plus invisible tile).

At this time, I'm not sure that the TS2GridAdjuster method works for anything except Mansions and Gardens; FT failed, I still need to test AL. Initially, I thought that perhaps the pond water level on the lot was causing problems with earlier EPs, but further testing shows that pushing the water level down doesn't fix the problem.

Clearly, the "difficult" method is changing more than just the array of grid elevations. I'm considering studying V1ND1CARE's lot with the ground level over the living area, to see whether I can determine what else needs to be changed.
Scholar
#37 Old 10th May 2009 at 7:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I've been able to place windows in these basements, but haven't noticed whether the sun comes in or not. I'll have to check.

The sun comes through windows with the basement level not deeper than 10 clicks.
Alchemist
#38 Old 11th May 2009 at 3:46 AM
If/when I get a usable lot with 'ground' at level 3, we can see how shareable it will be. I'm going to have to do it with M&G by the look of it, which is a shame really. It would be good if Mootilda can figure out how to allow lesser EP requirements.

If you manage to place a one-step staircase, sims apparently cannot use it - Niol mentioned that somewhere. Two steps definitely works, though.

Jonha, that's certainly the case with traditional basements. Good that it still applies with the new version.
Test Subject
#39 Old 11th May 2009 at 8:45 AM
Thanks aelflaed for answering my question once again sorry to have post in the wrong place, I do apologize
Alchemist
#40 Old 12th May 2009 at 11:14 AM
My video card has died, so I'm usng the factory one for now - which means I probably can't run Sims2 until a new card is bought. So if I'm quiet for a few days, it's not because I've lost interest!

I posted about the zero-height stair on Simbology in case someone bites.
Site Helper
#41 Old 12th May 2009 at 10:29 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 13th May 2009 at 2:25 AM.
If you manage to get level 3 working as the pseudo-ground level, I might be able to code up something to make this easier for people to do. This might fit in particularly well with my new program to add a level to a lot.

I'm trying to finish work on that program before I start to look into why basements require AL. It's getting pretty close; I just managed to add a real basement to a previously-ground-level house.

Oh, by the way, I updated the description of my technique with your suggested improvements. Let me know whether it still needs work.
Alchemist
#42 Old 13th May 2009 at 5:01 AM
I see the minus has been added, that should be more obvious for people. Thanks. No bites on the 0-height stair - Khakidoo made something that was suggested, but it is really only covering up a gentle incline, so sims are still on the same level. Different problem.

I can do pretty much everything on this old videocard, EXCEPT run sims2. Even text documents look pretty weird though. Hopefully hubby will bring home a new card this evening.
Scholar
#43 Old 13th May 2009 at 5:03 PM
Mootilda,

I have another improvement to you method. Instead of building the first level with walls and convert them using convertiwall to foundation walls you can easily build a plain foundation without any problems.
Site Helper
#44 Old 13th May 2009 at 6:12 PM
Yes, good idea. I've added this to the post with the simplified technique.
Space Pony
#45 Old 13th May 2009 at 8:07 PM
I found a quicker, easier way to do step 16. Switching to the one-tile terrain tool helps make it precise, but you can avoid the need for manual precision by simply using the largest terrain tool until it says "Can't raise terrain further". Once you've done that, everything will be at the same level, regardless of how different it gets in the process.
Site Helper
#46 Old 16th May 2009 at 3:58 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 16th May 2009 at 5:33 AM.
Default Problems picking up objects
From the download thread for my no-slope basement test lot:
http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=329909

We found a problem with the TS2GridAdjuster method (which may also exist with the original method) for basements with an elevation higher than -10 (ie, -8 or -6). It is sometimes difficult or impossible to grab objects once they've been placed.

It would appear that the problem occurs when the space between an invisible tile and the object underneath it is less than 10 clicks.

I have several potential solutions which I'm working on, but I just wanted to give people a "heads up" about this issue.

For anyone who wants to fool around with this, the first solution is to move the ground level in the center of the basement up, so that the invisible tiles are 10 clicks above the floor inside the basement, except at the very edge of the wall. This solution seems to be working fairly well for me so far, but requires more testing.

The second solution is to move the ground level in the center of the basement down, so that the floor inside the basement is at or above the elevation of the invisible tiles, except at the very edge of the wall. This solution doesn't seem to be working quite as well, since I'm finding it difficult (but not impossible) to move things in the square with contains the (invisible) slope (just inside the wall). Otherwise, this solution also seems to be working.

The second solution may prove to be a solution to creating no-slope basements for the base game and early EPs.

If you do any testing on either of these solutions, please be sure to post your results for us all.

[Update:]

I have updated my method with this information:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...451#post2172451

I also updated my test lots, if you'd like to help test the first solution:
http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=329909

Next, I'm going to see whether the second solution resolves the problems with base-game no-slope basements.
Site Helper
#47 Old 16th May 2009 at 6:13 AM
Default No-Slope Basements for Base Game
I have confirmed that my no-slope basement method works for the base game, with one small change and one caveat:

After creating the no-slope basement, you need to run the TS2GridAdjuster again, to move the ground (level 0) inside the basement underneath the basement floor. Be sure to specify a range which does not include the basement walls.

Caveat: some low items, such as the VroomMaster 4000 remote controlled car, may be difficult to pick up if they are on the tile closest to the wall. Suggestions for picking up difficult items:
- zoom in or out or rotate the camera; a different angle can help
- move your view so that the edge of the terrain overlaps the item (see picture)

I will be updating my method with this information.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#48 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 5:26 AM
What an insanely time consuming process o.o
Alchemist
#49 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 1:17 AM
Mootilda's way is less time-consuming.

You don't have to do either one, of course - depends how badly you want this kind of basement.
Test Subject
#50 Old 22nd Jun 2009 at 6:36 AM
I've been trying out both methoods and I'm having the same problem with both. I'm wanting to stay with the adjuster as it seems much quicker even with the constant restarts. Once I get the hang of it tho, the amount of restarts should be a non issue.

Anyway, my problem is much like the one Aelflaed discussed in the download thread for the adjuster. I put the basement into the ground at -12 clicks, but find that I am totally unable to place any furniture, doors or anything into the area. Anything I try to place instead ends up on the main level. I was looking at step 6 which discusses moving Level 0 either above or below the floor level of the basement, but have had no luck in getting it to work.

Here's a breakout of what I did.

After building the walls for two levels, adding the transparent tiles on the ground and the flooring for the basement on the second level, I closed the game and opened up the adjuster. I selected Level 1-3 and for the front 12-17, left 3-17, which was the range I needed to get the walls into the equation. I selected flat -12 and left the 16 default for the per level. I hit the button and restarted the game to check to make sure the walls were in the proper position. They appeared to be fine, but I could not place anything into the basement room.

So thinking that the problem might be step 6, I quit the game without saving and went back to the adjuster and input Level 0-0, Front 13-16, left 4-16. I selected this range because they did not include the walls. I then set the Flat to -16 to place level 0 below the basement floor. I hit the button, quit the adjuster and went back into the game. I still had the same problem.

I've tried a variety of different ranges, as well as trying the alternate step 6, but without luck. Each time I did this I did not use "variations." Maybe I should have?

Any suggestions at all would be most gratefully appreciated. And if you need more information, please let me know.

Thanks
Page 2 of 3