Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 2:08 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Default replacement problems
One of the default replacement trousers I downloaded for a teen female sim wasn't working properly, and as I had a similar pair I just thought I'd delete it. It deleted ALL of the trousers, so kind of freaking out I quit without saving. When I went back into the game, the trousers were back but several of my default replacement clothing and hairstyles weren't working and had gone back to the maxis styles. Nothing has moved out of my downloads folder or into the recycle bin, so now I don't know what I've done.

Any help would be appreciated, I am having no luck with this game lately and I've spent the last 2 days downloading default replacement stuff thinking I had some great idea!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 5:59 AM
Well, firstoff I wouldn't use the game's basic "delete/disable mod" thing, because it looks like to me that it doesn't just "deletes" the selected mod, but all that he thinks he has problems with. I always only move things in and out of the folder, that's on my opinion the safest thing.

Well, a "remodding" could fix the problem. By remodding I mean, that:
1, you move out EVERTYTHING from the download folder.
2, Start the game. After it loads in the menu, you quit
3, places EVERYTHING back, except the one you had the problem with in the first place
4, Start the game and allow downloaded content.

Hope that will work, as it worked for me once
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 7:04 AM
What do you mean, you deleted trousers then quit without saving? You don't remove defaults from in-game or from Bodyshop, you manually remove the files from your Downloads if that's the folder where you put them.
If you've added a lot of defaults all at once, it's likely that some of them will clash if they affect the same meshes, I'd suggest adding them one at a time, or at least not too many, cleaning your cache files http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...ete_Cache_Files and checking either in game or in Bodyshop that they work correctly.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 2:00 PM
I went back to the problem custom content page, only to find the mesh was included, and added later in part of the post I didn't see -_- so I've fixed that, but moving everything back in didn't work as some things have gone back to the maxis orginal content, mainly the hairstyles. What can I do now? :/
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 2:10 PM
Maybe a link to that page could help, if possible? There usually isn't an additional mesh with default replacements, at least those I know were always single packages.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 2:14 PM
I think I misunderstood now I've gone back onto the page. Either way, I was supposed to download "custom" as well as "default." That one contained the mesh. But heres a link in case this helps anything? http://downloadsbyskell.tumblr.com/...ottomcargopants
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 2:23 PM
You only needed the default download if you wanted to default the pants. The custom is if you want custom and not default, you don't need both. You should never get rid of a default by using the in game delete button. That's okay for default recolours, say when something comes with 10 recolours and you only want three. Doing it that way just gets rid of those recolours and keeps the mesh, but defaults are taking the place of the Maxis pants and I think deleting it in game could be risky. I don't know if it's possible that you deleted the maxis item along with the default file, but I know you can mess your game up if you delete maxis items.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 2:34 PM
All the trousers are back now its just certain clothing items and it appears to be all the hairstyles are back to maxis :/
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 2:45 PM
The Sims2Pack Clean Installer is a very useful program, if you don't have it. It will let you see a preview (most of the time) of the various colours of a piece of CC. It helps identify what you want to remove, without having to do it in game or in bodyshop.

Now for your previous defaults, if you have deleted the cache files and it's still the original maxis content that shows, then I would redownload and reintroduce gradually, making sure you're using only one default for a single mesh. People who make defaults will state which mesh they are replacing (in your link, afbottomcargopants).

It would be a good idea to switch your Objects files properties to read only so you don't delete anything you're not supposed to.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 2:52 PM
If I use this installer, will it help me delete what I already have as the hair packages are still in the download folder, just not showing up in game? It would take me ages to delete each one individually from the folder.
Top Secret Researcher
#11 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 3:04 PM
Well it helps identify them, especially if the files are named stuff like 5ghj263kloccb5.package, but keeping the Downloads folder organized takes time, that's why many of us rename when adding the files, so they're easier to remove.
If you delete in bodyshop, the meshes are left behind, only the recolours go.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 3:07 PM
Now I realize I have no idea what I'm doing, but I think this might be the hair packages, coming up as incomplete body shop project. Is it possible that before they worked, and now they are corrupted or something so they're coming up like this?
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#13 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 4:02 PM
Defaults aren't complete bodyshop projects, so I doubt there's anything wrong. The program recognizes some of the components of the file, but registers that something is "wrong" or missing. They're sometimes only made out of a few of the resources needed to make a complete file, instead of all of them. They're not made to be separate files, but to replace something.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 4:43 PM
What should I do? Start over from the downloading stage?

I am getting quite sick of all the problems I'm having with these games. I had to give up sims 3 not long ago because of a custom content problem, and I really can't play that one without it.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 6:00 PM
I use a lot of defaults. Once in a while there's a problem, usually a conflict with another mesh. When that happens, I remove the default, reload the game and see if the problem is gone. If I don't know which default is causing the problem, or if I'm not even sure a default is to blame, I remove all the defaults and try again. I move the folder with the defaults to the desktop or a safe place while I test the game. I do NOT delete the defaults.

I can't tell what you're doing. It doesn't sound like you've removed all your defaults, just some of them. You should remove all of the defaults. All of them. Put them somewhere like the desktop. Run the game. If things look back to normal, no defaulted clothing or hair, no weird stuff, start putting the defaults back. Put one back. Run the game. If it works, put in another one. Run the game. Keep doing this until you find the problem default or you determine that the problem isn't a default. Eliminating problems using the 50/50 method, or one by one if your list is small, is the only way to identify the real problem.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#16 Old 1st Sep 2014 at 10:47 PM
Are your defaults together in one folder? remove the folder. If you tossed them into the download folder and everything is mixed up it sounds like it's time to start over. Make sure you make a Defaults folder inside of your download folder and preferably give each default it's own folder. So for that one I would have made a folder called Default_Fbottomcargopants. Then if I didn't like them I would just pull the folder. It pays to keep things like defaults organized and they are easy to pull. I'm still worried you might have done something to your game by deleting them in game.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 2:46 PM
I think, I'll remove everything again, play the game for a while (I don't really know what I'm expecting that to do, but its worth a try), then add the hair to see if that works, then if it does, put everything else back because now its mainly the hair that is the problem. I haven't really noticed anything else but I have replaced everything in the game, it'd take a long time to check everything. If that doesn't work...I might have to completely reinstall :/
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#18 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 3:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ace101
I went back to the problem custom content page, only to find the mesh was included, and added later in part of the post I didn't see -_- so I've fixed that, but moving everything back in didn't work as some things have gone back to the maxis orginal content, mainly the hairstyles. What can I do now? :/

Is the the actual CC or just the thumbnails you can see in Bodyshop/CAS? Because you can fix that by forcing the game to reset the thumbnails (either shift-click the image in CAS or delete the Thumbnails folder. Deleting the folder will cause the game to lag a bit as it rebuilds the thumbnails but will go away after a while).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 2nd Sep 2014 at 5:28 PM
Update: I decided to have a go at redownloading all of my defaults. Despite WinRAR constantly telling me that the files were already in there, I just redownloaded and replaced everything and it appears to have worked. Does that mean the files got corrupted or something?

Either way, I've only just started but it looks like I've done something right :p