Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 3:26 AM
Default Is there a special house I need for ocean?
I have looked on MTS2 and I see homes with oceans, but its custom water or something, they don't seem to go with the ocean in game. So is there a special word search I need to use for homes I can place on the beach in BV and the new FT hood for the sims to hang out in the ocean and do the things beach folk do?
Thanks in advance
Aine
BTW I tried using- oceanfront, beach front, beach lot, ocean lot when I searched MTS2 but I only got solitude lots that aren't for ocean connections.
Advertisement
#2 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 3:38 AM
Your lot has to be set on a road near the ocean and the land level has to be very low (to the sand). I find this very annoying personally. But this is more a BV issue, not FT. You can use the new cheat though, that came with FT "modifyNeighborhoodTerrain on/off" and use the [ raise ] to lower p to smooth and \ to level so that the terrain is low enough to house a beachfront lot.
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 3:50 AM
OOOoo thank you I had no idea about that new feature. I guess I just need to find a nice house that reaches far enough to get to the ocean. Right now this really cute house I like goes half way down the beach.
Thanks again
#4 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 4:14 AM
Actually the lot has to go about halfway or about a third of the way into the ocean (I think). If you're using a custom 'hood Rome works pretty well and Harmony works okay and DiamondBar Islands, Spain is one of my favorites but needs a bit of tweeking with the new cheat to make work with the ocean lots.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 5:06 AM
I am trying to use the new hood that came with FT, I have just gone through 60 pages of homes on MTS2. But I don't see anything that looks like a nice airy beach bungalow. I wanted my sims to kinda be free spirited beach bums for a while before they had a family. Anyone suggest a nice beach home?

Doh nevermind, I by accident just found one by clicking on one house and then clicking something else and I found this-
http://www.modthesims2.com/member/s...ad.php?t=157982
Hope I didn't break any rules there
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 6:01 AM
Hmmm its me, I did the terrain modify, but it wont allow me to swim in the ocean. Is there something I have to do to get it as a option?
Scholar
#7 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 8:50 AM
To make use of the Bon Voyage beach features, you need to use a specialty lot. Regular lots, like the one you linked to, won't work. SamLee has some great beach houses up for download here.

♦ Animal Lover, Eco Friendly, Loner, Perfectionist, Vegetarian ♦

Sensitivity is strength.
#8 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 12:30 PM
Well, I did a quick search on MTS2 using the keyword "beach" and came up with several beach lots, here: http://sumomo.modthesims2.com/downl...ername=&csort=0
Just do a quick check to see if they have BV as one of the EP requirements and you'll get the lots that are most likely ocean connectable before downloading.

You know, I think I'll mention this on MTS2 and see if they'll make a subcatagory for beach lots.
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 2:14 PM
You know, I think I'll mention this on MTS2 and see if they'll make a subcatagory for beach lots.[/QUOTE]
That would be a great idea- would the recommendation be for lots that use the ocean? Cuz some beach lots I found out aren't really made for the ocean they are for something else, not sure what that something else is though.
I did search using "beach" and the ones I did download didn't work
I did get one to work, but unfortualty it somehow shrunk my house lot (it threw sand up onto her steps and back porch) so the ground go all wobbly and she couldn't walk to the beach- I tried to fix it as best as I could but its still wonky in some parts. Its a beautiful house, I just have to restructure some of it.
Thank you all for the great links and help- I was getting a tad miffed over the whole thing. I just wish there were beach lots in Strangetown aside the vacation spots which it seems you cannot live in permanently. So many hoods to pick from and so little time hehe
Aine
#10 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 7:23 PM
Change the foundation to the deck with the posts and that should do the trick, if that doesn't work, go into the lot and raise the level of the land a couple of notches, that might work. The problem with BV lots is the weird perfection that needs to be met for beach lots. So much of it has to be in the water, and if it's too close to the road it won't work if it's too far to the water it won't work. It's really a pain in the ass. I'm a builder myself, so I rarely use premade lots unless I need a few fillers for a theme specific 'hood.

Oh, I have an idea. bin your home for a bit and take an empty beachlot and place it on the ground where you want your home to be. If it doesn't fit, (same size and shape as your house) try somewhere else. If it does fit. Level the terrain, which will make a strange cliff edge where the ocean beach would go, but don't worry about that yet. Next bulldoze the empty lot and replace it with one of the homes you downloaded, or the one you binned. See if that works. If it doesn't work PM me. I have one other option that will work.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 8:07 PM
I got the one house working, I was thinking of just making a row of that home for now. Yanno like cookie cutter street, just change the colors of the house and change the trees around so they aren't so boring. I appreciate the help, but since I just started that hood there isn't much in it yet, so I might not play it as often as my other one until Insim is updated. I kinda like to keep relationship decay off so I don't have to do all that stupid friend refreshing.
I do have a off the side question though- how do "you" play a hood? Do you have one family as your main and then the others you play to take a break from that one or something? I just know that one family can have kids for so long before it gets repatitive. I am not much into designing homes, so its the sims I enjoy more and I just download homes so I don't have to do alot of building- I lack imagination on that part. I know that question is more for general chat, that one seems to be locked for me.
#12 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 8:19 PM
Me? Well, I have about 3 families per hood that I play, but mostly I enjoy building thing from the ground up. I did some work recently on a SW/ Strangetown Hood with a bunch of adobe and spanish style homes, I'm planing on making an old west subhood for it, but needed a break so now I'm working on an oldworld feel Japan-like hood for my daughter (she studies Japanese). I'll probably put up a few of those for upload on the site.

If all else failed with the Beach lot, I was going to offer to make you one to your specs.
Instructor
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Mar 2008 at 12:42 AM
Oh thats neet that you do special hoods. I am just getting into filling hoods. Before I'd make 1 or 2 families and just branch off from there. I haven't really looked into custom hoods as they seem overwhelming. I also don't know much about NPC spawns or how to fill them without doing CAS alot and that loads slow for me. Some hoods I have seen look really fabulous- just like I said it seems like I'd be lost as soon as I loaded into it as to what to do next.

If all else failed with the Beach lot, I was going to offer to make you one to your specs.[/QUOTE]
Thats very sweet of you, but I wouldn't want to fill your plate more then you already have. If you have any recommendations for a new custom hood player- that would suffice. You prolly already recommended the Diamondbar and others in a previous post, but they look like alot of work since I don't do much house design.
*hugs* hope your day is going well
#14 Old 16th Mar 2008 at 2:50 AM
Check your PM.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 16th Mar 2008 at 9:45 AM
hi, i don't know if "psivampyr" found the sloution, but i did not...

Quote: Originally posted by PenChris
Your lot has to be set on a road near the ocean and the land level has to be very low (to the sand). I find this very annoying personally. But this is more a BV issue, not FT. You can use the new cheat though, that came with FT "modifyNeighborhoodTerrain on/off" and use the [ raise ] to lower p to smooth and \ to level so that the terrain is low enough to house a beachfront lot.

im just wondering how to use this cheat? will it create an ocean? i tried it, it just lower or raise the ground.. how can i insert a beach lot in there??
i don't have origional ocean in the Neighborhood.
#16 Old 16th Mar 2008 at 1:06 PM
I was playing around with this cheat yesterday, and you need water in your hood to place beachlots, if there's no water it won't let you place them even if you lower the terrain.

To Use the Cheat: type "modifyNeighborhoodTerrain on/off" without the quote and Then click on the ground and drag a square of any size. Use the [ (the bracket key) to raise the terrain, ] to lower the terrain, p (the letter p) to smooth and, \ (slash) to level.

But as I said, if there's no water, the cheat won't let you create it, it just helps you lower the land so that you can use beach lots if you have a road near the water that's too high.
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 16th Mar 2008 at 2:45 PM
I did find how to move the ground up and down, but it didn't help me after all as the lots I was using were not compatible and so I just had a house on a piece of land that had a ocean, but they couldn't actually swim in it. Even with half the lot sunk into the ocean- just was unaccessable to them. As it was pointed out earlier in the thread, you have to have special house lots that have the ocean as a part of the land- which is a pain in the rump.
Field Researcher
#18 Old 1st Apr 2008 at 2:33 AM
ocean lots are sort of specialty lots, which can be selected to place as empty lots adjacent to water in any neighborhood -- under empty lots, you'll see an icon of a lot with a stream going thru it. Any lots that you are downloading and wanting to use as beach lots have to have first been constructed on beach lots by the artists. So you need to specifically look for beach lots compatible with Bon Voyage(I think) and up. "Swimable lot" is another term I've seen used for those lots you're looking for, if that helps.