Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Tentacle Of Righteousness
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jul 2009 at 9:47 PM
Default Tutorial - How to create Custom Non-Replacement Eyes with CTU
All Credits go to Xanathon for the discovery on this process.

I have attached a file you may use as a template. First open that up in postal
or S3PE http://www.simlogical.com/Sims3ToolsForum/index.php
and extract the dds file and you will see the image with the eye. Edit this with either Gimp or Photoshop.

Then:

First download Delphy's Great CTU tool:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=348082

After you have installed and run the CTU:
Click File--->New
Under Find a Mesh Decide what Age|Gender|Type
For the purposes of this Tut We will choose Adult|Male|Costume
Choose the amCostumeMakeUpFeline

Click the designs tab. Click the add new design button.
Now click where it says "other details"

Find where it says facial overlay click the Key:with number
Then at the bottom click replace and find your altered dds image.
Click Commit.
Next you will want to find the Mask key:00B2D882:00000000:556ADE6F3EA23246(just example)

now copy this new key and paste into the mask key:
key:00B2D882:00000000:78709F1C8E0CE3CD

This gets rid of the mask.
Commit all changes and go up to file-->Save as and save it into your mods/packages folder.

Exit CTU and start up sims 3.

Now you can see your new custom non-default eye which will be found under
Costume Makeup.

Simple color the parts white and your new custom eye shows up. The last colored circle will allow coloration tint of the white of the eye.

I hope this helps you all.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Wintermute-WolfEyes.zip (12.9 KB, 573 downloads) - View custom content
Description: Tutorial Template

Alt 255
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned
to a dead channel.
4 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 11:03 AM
THANK YOU so much for this! This is something I've desperately wanted to be able to do for several of my sims, and I've now run through this tutorial and it all works great! I wonder if there will turn out to be a way to layer costume makeup, so that a sim can have weird eyes AND a weird 'face' as well? I hope that will become possible.
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 9:18 PM
You're Welcome I hope the tut helps people. :D

Alt 255
to a dead channel.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 26th Jul 2009 at 11:22 PM
Thanks for the tutorial, good explanation.
I managed how to use masks, is the same way as clothing (Red - 1st color, Yellow - 2nd, Magenta - 3rd, Alpha - 4th)., have a look: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...342#post2739342
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 4:38 AM
Cheapncheerful could you post the file for reference please?

Alt 255
to a dead channel.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 4:47 AM
Here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tzebtjtjy5z
http://rapidshare.com/files/2604584...nished.rar.html

There's 10 designs inside the .package files, all of them different masks.
Original Poster
#7 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 5:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Cheapncheerful
Here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?tzebtjtjy5z
http://rapidshare.com/files/2604584...nished.rar.html

There's 10 designs inside the .package files, all of them different masks.

I was rolling when i saw this btw:
http://i27.tinypic.com/3091pwg.jpg
Should be your avatar :D

Alt 255
to a dead channel.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 5:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wintermuteai1
I was rolling when i saw this btw:
http://i27.tinypic.com/3091pwg.jpg
Should be your avatar :D

LOL i couldn't resist, the guy was looking really stoned.
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 4:46 PM
mhhh I can't see the eyes...
help me!

Forum Resident
#10 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 5:26 PM
You should give a more detailed description of the problem...

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 5:30 PM
mhhh I've followed the tutorial step by step, but I've seen only the black around the eyes, and don't view the colored irises and bulbs. Sorry for my english
Mad Poster
#12 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 7:59 PM Last edited by EsmeraldaF : 27th Jul 2009 at 8:10 PM.
Excuse me if this is a dumb question, as I'm new at making custom content, but is it possible to create our own thumbnails for these? As you know, by default all their thumbnails come out as a blank face which all look the same, so it's hard to tell which is which! Thanks!
Original Poster
#13 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 9:09 PM
I know Delphy's new CTU update has something for custom Thumbs so it should be possible.

Alt 255
to a dead channel.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 27th Jul 2009 at 11:26 PM Last edited by EsmeraldaF : 27th Jul 2009 at 11:43 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by wintermuteai1
I know Delphy's new CTU update has something for custom Thumbs so it should be possible.

Yes! I've just downloaded the new CTU and tried out the thumbnail option, and it works great! I made a cropped screenshot of just an eye depicting each style, and they look good in CAS. Will re-upload the eyes I uploaded last night with these new thumbnail versions. Thanks!
Mad Poster
#15 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 1:15 AM
Oh no... I've got an issue with these custom eyes now: just got a feedback post saying "But I am having one small problem. When the sim wearing these goes naked to take a shower or bath, the make-up switches to one of the standard facial make-ups." I just tested this, and he's right. The sim does, at least, automatically change back to the contacts when they do the 'get dressed' animation after the bath/shower. Have I missed something somewhere, or is this something you're aware of and that we're stuck with?

This is especially odd because with my SHODAN sim, when she has a bath her hair and skin go back to the defaults, but her custom costume makeup mask stays on! So as these eyes are just custom costume makeup, I wonder why they don't do the same? Very strange!
Original Poster
#16 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 1:38 AM
EsmeraldaF:
I opened your lizard eyes with CTU you forgot to also enable it for "naked" in the part category tab.

Alt 255
to a dead channel.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 12:34 PM
Well, this is weird. I was sure I had enabled it for Naked, after all, it is already enabled for Naked as default, so I don't know how Naked would have become un-clicked, but thought I must have un-clicked it in error somehow. So I re-made all the eye files to make absolutely sure Naked was clicked/enabled, tried again, and they still changed to a random default costume mask when bathing. I re-opened the files with CTU, and they again now showed 'Naked' as un-clicked. It was absolutely definitely clicked to 'Enable' when I saved the package file. I can't understand how this happens. Any ideas???? Thanks!
Mad Poster
#18 Old 28th Jul 2009 at 5:44 PM
OK, I've found out what was causing the problem, but I don't know why. Under Categories, I was enabling every one of them including 'All'. It seems that clicking 'All' causes the 'Naked' selection to become disabled when saved. I've now selected everything except 'All', saved it, and it's all correct and working as it should. Hooray!
Mad Poster
#19 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 4:49 PM
I've been having a great time with this new contact lens concept, making 'unusual' contacts of all sorts, but have just run into something very puzzling: My latest experiment, cartoony cross-eyes, has had some really odd results. After chortling over how well they turned out on my woman test subject,

I went on to see how they look on other ages and genders, and ran into a strange issue: On men from teen to elder, the eyes come out looking to the side rather than crossed:

But, it's not just a male thing - boys, including toddlers, come out crossed:

All females of every age come out with crossed eyes. It's only the males teen-elder that come out with their eyes to the side instead. It seems to be a 'women and children only' set of eyes. I'm completely bewildered by this. Does anyone, by any chance, have an explanation?? LOL.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 3rd Aug 2009 at 6:17 PM
Oh my, thank you for giving me a good laugh!

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Mad Poster
#21 Old 8th Aug 2009 at 7:54 PM
A quick question, something I've been asked a couple of times now and would like to be able to do: is there a way to make two eyes that are different from each other? For instance, a contact lens that only affects one eye?
Test Subject
#22 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 9:57 AM
I don't know what I did wrong I followed the whole tutorial step by step but everything I make ends up looking like this
Mad Poster
#23 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 3:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rose_Reveries
I don't know what I did wrong I followed the whole tutorial step by step but everything I make ends up looking like this

That looks like what happens when you haven't set the three colours in Create a Style to white when you apply the 'eyes' - have you set the three colours to white?
Test Subject
#24 Old 12th Aug 2009 at 3:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EsmeraldaF
That looks like what happens when you haven't set the three colours in Create a Style to white when you apply the 'eyes' - have you set the three colours to white?

Wow totally spaced it thanks^^
Forum Resident
#25 Old 17th Aug 2009 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by EsmeraldaF
A quick question, something I've been asked a couple of times now and would like to be able to do: is there a way to make two eyes that are different from each other? For instance, a contact lens that only affects one eye?

No it's not possible, since both eyes are pulled from one texture.

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Page 1 of 3