Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#726 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 2:19 AM
@samantha_kathy that's fair enough. I wish my downloads folder would magically clean itself I still look forward to your revitalized neighbourhood!

So school's done for a week for me, so I've had so much more time to play. As I'm developing my story I'm trying to work in bits and pieces from the challenge into it. The large the population and village becomes, the more they'll have to adhere to the rules (because, unfortunately, if I played them with the rules right now, they'd all die...). But I'm looking forward to all of my future dice rolling and 3.0 coming out (which I hope I can use more of, at least in Eastdelle).

Also, how do you guys come up with cool names for places? I seem to be coming up short, but want the name to come up organically from the story. I've been examining my characters more closely now, to see who would be the most likely to name the land.

Eighth chapter is up.
Advertisement
Instructor
Original Poster
#727 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 5:04 PM
Quote:
I wish my downloads folder would magically clean itself

I second that motion! It took me a full week to go through the mess I'd made of my downloads folder from my last install. It seems that no matter how many things I learn about keeping things clean and organized, there is always more to learn. After purging the downloads folder and reorganizing all the content, my new install is much more streamlined, but I keep running across little things I miss as I rebuild all of the lots from the last nh.

Speaking of rebuilding ... what a job! I loaded my latest backup of the old Warwickshire and plotted the main nh terrain and all of the subnh's, and then went into every lot and took pictures, so I could begin the long, arduous task of rebuilding every single lot by hand. I just don't want to take the chance that some lots could bring corruption back into the new nh. I mean, I do have a few (count'em--very few) lots that I had the foresight to package in advance that had never been played, but for the most part, I was not planning for the inevitable bfbvfs. Ah, those reckless youthful days when I knew not what I did ... Well, this time round, I'm gonna be ready.

Quote:
The large the population and village becomes, the more they'll have to adhere to the rules (because, unfortunately, if I played them with the rules right now, they'd all die...).

A wise and prudent plan. Though I don't say this anywhere in the challenge, I generally start my nh around the year 1580 or so to give myself the chance to build a population before the dawning of a new day, or rather, before the advent of misery that will descend upon my poor simmies. With this rebuild, I made my main hood Westsea, rather than Warwick, and played one full generation of serfs and nobles before incorporating the health scores, childbirth system, etc. Still no disease in Westsea, since the population wouldn't withstand it yet. And I still have not yet created any classes between serfs and nobles. I need to build the towns first before I bring in merchants. And I'll need suitable schools and manor houses before I add the gentry. The gentry is, I think, the hardest class for me to play. I want to do better with them this time round.

As to naming. My place names broadly reflect the regional character and story of the place they name. Most of my regions are cobbled together mish-mashes of real places: none of them make any real sense and have very little historical accuracy. Westsea, for example, is a strange mixture of Dutch and Italian influences. The character names are all Dutch or Scandanavian, all found on Behind the Name and for last names, Behind the Surname, but the architecture is heavily influenced by Italian renaissance villas and Tuscan estates. That said, a lot of my names for Warwickshire are real places or events in England, since that is the inspiration for Warwick. However, the duchy of Amicouer is intended to be more like France, and rather than take real place names for this region, what I did was fashion my own names using google translate. The result is some rather non-French sounding place names that work fine for my world--Amicouer as its name suggests means "friendly heart." And the main town there is Bellamy, or "good friend." The pass through the mountains between Westsea, which is supposed to be something like Italy, is called the Godven Pass. Godven means "good friend" which is ironic considering how dangerous that pass really is. I have tried using place name generators but found that they don't ever mesh well with the story I'm trying to tell. But your mileage may vary as the saying goes. Early in my first Warwickshire nh (this is now my third attempt ...), I used a fantasy place name generator which yielded results like Applemere, Thistledown, and Butterbright meadows. Sorta fairy tale-esque and quaint in their own way, but turned out not to work so well for me.
Test Subject
#728 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 9:02 PM Last edited by Yvi-sama : 22nd Jun 2014 at 12:36 AM.
Soooo, I finally started round two It realy takes ages to play all the families

There are 21 families, 4 schools, a monastry and a convent. This round I will add all the Finishing Schools and Universities

I didn't use all of the rules yet.
Round one was basic: THS, schools, depts.
Round two: above + diseases
Round three: above + ?

And again: more questions

1. At a twin birth, I need two birth records. Does every entry (except Pelvimetrix) change?
--> because I had a very unhappy twin birth with twenty hours before and after the first child

2. Do miscarries add to "Number of births"?

3. Healers / Midwifes. "Good Witch, Skill 1-4: 1" Does that mean one Healer-point per skillpoint or does the midwife-to-be get 1 point regardless of how many exactly?

4. About aktivies according to THS: Why is it that a toddler in poor health can be potty-trained but has to be in superior health to learn a nursery-rhyme? I would assume a sick child would be less able to perform all the actions require to use the potty (walk there, get on top, have controll of anal sphincter, get down and back), than repeat a song most mothers would use on a such a toddler to calm it in its condition.

Can't wait for the complete verson of V3

Thank you,
Yvi-sama
Instructor
Original Poster
#729 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 12:15 AM
Hello, Yvi-Sama, good to hear updates from you!

To answer your questions, I'll go one by one.
Quote:
1. At a twin birth, I need two birth records. Does every entry (except Pelvimetrix) change? --> because I had a very unhappy twin birth with twenty hours before and after the first child

Yes, that's correct. Pelvimetry is a lifetime score that does not change.

Quote:
2. Do miscarries add to "Number of births"?

Yes, they do.You should fill out a regular birth score for each miscarriage, but record the midwife score as 0, since women would likely be unattended during an unexpected miscarriage. Further, the fetal health score should be recorded as zero, since the baby is lost. This makes miscarriages quite dangerous, which many were.

Quote:
3. Healers / Midwifes. "Good Witch, Skill 1-4: 1" Does that mean one Healer-point per skillpoint or does the midwife-to-be get 1 point regardless of how many exactly?

No. These skill points correspond to the witch's level in game when you "check abilities" on the podium--you will see the bubbles fill up as the witch gains knowledge from studying magic.

As to the potty training versus nursery rhyme, I can see your point. I suppose it is ordered this way because the nursery rhyme skill is not a base game skill. But also because I cannot stand having toddlers that are not potty trained in my game. As to health score relationship--I think it makes sense to think about what the toddler is sick with--some illnesses might not preclude a child learning to use the toilet. Being sick is not synonymous with being disabled or learning impaired. It's just sick.

Quote:
Can't wait for the complete verson of V3

You and me both! (And yes, I have been working on it!)
Instructor
#730 Old 24th Jun 2014 at 6:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Yvi-sama
I didn't use all of the rules yet.
Round one was basic: THS, schools, depts.
Round two: above + diseases
Round three: above + ?

Now that's a very smart idea! Not jumping off the deep end but slowly implementing all the gameplay.
Lab Assistant
#731 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 2:23 PM
After reading through the teaser, I am very excited to try it as soon as it's completed! Do you perhaps have an estimate of when it might be done, even a vague one? I am super interested in your ideas for the self sufficient economy. Keep up your amazing and creative work for this challenge, it inspires so many of us

"Over the Mountains of the Moon, down the Valley of the Shadow, ride, boldly ride," the shade replied - "if you seek for Eldorado"
Instructor
Original Poster
#732 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 4:52 PM
blackivy, thank you for your interest and encouragement in the challenge! I am glad you are enjoying the teaser. My vague estimation is end of summer, not before. You may rest assured however that I am very committed to finishing this and I won't drop it. It consumes me.
Test Subject
#733 Old 27th Jun 2014 at 11:41 AM
Huhu

Quote:
No. These skill points correspond to the witch's level in game when you "check abilities" on the podium--you will see the bubbles fill up as the witch gains knowledge from studying magic.

I got that (actually I never used magic in TS2 before this challenge).
But is it A) 1 healer-point per magic-knowledge-point (4 healer-points for 4 magic-knowledge-points)
or B) 1 healer-point when she reaches the first (total of 1) and two healer-points when she reaches the fifth magic-knowledge-point (total of 3 healer points)?

Ok, just checking: At a twin-birth each child gets a separate calculation (except for the mother's pelvimetry, which is a lifelong-constant). The births are calculated after one another. Each one of the twin's births counts counts as +1 for "number of births"

As I work my way through the disease-section, I noticed that the choice of a secondary aspiration is very important. It usually adds another 10% to falling ill. I always thought this part of the sim-menu was mostly off-limits for everyone under the class-station of 3. But it would make the sims who are "better off" even more prone to illness than the poorer sims...

Ah, so it was more a decition based of personal taste, that is fine. Potty Training is one of the very few parts I hate when raising a sim-toddler... I think it would be ok, if I simply exchange the two toddler-skills, as long as no toddler can learn all the skills unless in superior health or higher.

The THS is a very good invention I cannot repeat it too often But sometimes it gets a little out of hand. Just had a sim crossing over the THS 200 marker

Byebye,
Yvi-sama
Field Researcher
#734 Old 30th Jun 2014 at 2:35 AM
I have a female sim who was following the midwife path, until an ROS rolled for her to try and disguise herself as a boy to get into the medical career properly. I hate for her to lose the skill she's built up as a healer. Would it be cheating too much to mix and match the doctor/healer skill sets, if I halved the outcome? Like add the physiology skill, witch levels and career/education levels all up (a max of 40) and then halve the score so it's still a max of 20?
Instructor
Original Poster
#735 Old 1st Jul 2014 at 5:27 PM
Yvi-Sama, I see what you're asking now--the second is true. The healer receives one point if she has begun studying magic and has anywhere between zero and 4 magic points. When she reaches five skill points, she may add another two to her total, to have three skill points for her magic skill.

You are correct about twin births. Each birth adds to the birth total, and each are calculated separately.

As to the secondary aspiration and disease: yes, it might make upper class sims slightly more prone to disease; however, they have access to better health care which measurably improves their chances of survival. Many nobles lived at court, or in a city, where close proximity, poor sanitation, and bad ventilation did lead to a higher incidence of disease. This is why if disease ever broke out, nobles fled for the countryside--where the peasants were living, hence the common wisdom of that "healthy" country air, taking an airing, and so forth. As the economy has changed now, the situation is largely reversed (as it has been since the rise of the industrial revolution), with poor people living in cramped, dirty conditions in cities. Of course, not all of them. And disease has changed too--not only which diseases but how we understand them. So, in all, the challenge is simulating the social reality of the day, i.e. the perceptions people held and not necessarily medical truth or even historical reality.

THS over 200? Wow. Time to implement disease for sure. The diseases are an optional population control measure that sim gods can use strategically to keep the balance within playable parameters. I think my healthiest sim is somewhere round 133 ...

MattieOReilly--hi again! As to your question, hmmm ... the answer is that none of her healer skills will transfer: a gardening badge simply does not make up for college or a professional career. Midwives and Physicians had entirely different knowledge bases, a large part of the reason midwives remain largely misunderstood today--depending, of course, upon where you live. However, it would seem that your female sim could become a great healer and a great physician, and you would have the flexibility to determine how she practiced. Not a bad thing, actually.
Test Subject
#736 Old 2nd Jul 2014 at 7:05 PM
Well, the THS-200-Sim is a very lucky elder, so I guess the "problem" will "fix" itself eventually

Oh, now I understand. I really love how much research and thought you put into your work :lovestruc

What about the second aspiration "Cheese"? I avoided it until now, because it seems more like an unhealthy obsession...

Uff, I remember now why I avoided the colledge add on until four days ago: It takes forever!
Therefore I put University + Finishing School on the same lot. Looks like my sims got just as bored as I was... Three pregnant girls before the third semester Go figure...

You see: We NEED the law and order chapter
Lab Assistant
#737 Old 13th Jul 2014 at 6:01 PM
So I messed up when I tried to reorganize my downloads folder and now I've lost some meshes and whatnot. So right now my neighbourhood is unusable :'(

Time to start redownloading... (Have I mentioned my current internet cap is 25GB, a month?)
Instructor
Original Poster
#738 Old 14th Jul 2014 at 4:47 PM
AriTheWise--yikes! sorry to hear that. Happened to me too when I purged my dl folder, but I was getting ready for a reinstall at the same time, so it didn't hurt as much. I already didn't have a playable nh at the time. I wish you well! Let us know what you're looking for and we might be able to help.

Yvi-Sama--wow! I love the drama. Sounds like your sims are learning a lot at college. :lovestruc As to the law and order chapter, if you're needing info for desecration of marriage or defloration of virgins, you can still use 2.0 for those cases. There will be some changes, but the overall scheme for the romance cases won't be altered measurably. That chapter is mainly going to change for the fortune crimes and for how success/discovery works in most other areas. But the romance stuff is probably going to change the least of everything there. Although, you *can* ditch the formulas on p. 59--just go ahead with the table on p. 60.

----and now, back to writing ....... !!!!
Lab Assistant
#739 Old 17th Jul 2014 at 11:05 PM
Well, so far I'm redownloading and trying my hardest to keep it under 5GBs. Best part is that I've found most of my old mods that I need for playing

My old sad bit is that I'll need to download Sim PE for the first time to adjust the eye colours to my set I like to use, unless anyone knows of a mod that can change this (but I think old Sim PE can, from what my Google-Fu has shown me).

Anyways, about the Warwickshire challenge: I reread the teaser since it's been ages and I wanted to remember what the future is supposed to hold and I read that you're looking into a self sufficient economy! How's that coming along? Since I'm starting off in an isolated community, I'm very much interested in this little tidbit of 3.0 Still very much looking forward to 3.0 (despite my sad looking downloads folder)
Instructor
Original Poster
#740 Old 18th Jul 2014 at 3:57 PM
AriTheWise, the self-sustaining economy has been something that I've thought about for years and years. It will be a part of the final edition. I have the chapter contents written--now for the tables and supporting info. If you want to get started right away and can't wait, just pm me and I'll give you some idea of what I'm doing there. Good luck with the dl'd'g!!!
Instructor
#741 Old 19th Jul 2014 at 10:52 AM
The self-sustaining economy is one of the parts I am most looking forward to! Eagerly awaiting the final edition, and using it as an excuse to not rebuild my hood just yet
Instructor
#742 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 3:14 PM
Hey there! Guess what! I'm back I know I've been absent for quite some time (a couple of months or so), but now it's finally summer for me too and I can't wait to play&write more.
Also, it's great to see new faces around so ... for anyone that hasn't been here back when I used to haunt this place ... welcome here! I can't wait to read other people's stories and maybe even see some photos. So share some ideas/photos with us!
Now, about my game ... If i remember correctly, it's the 10th round in my neighbourhood (it's also winter there) and there was a war (or something like that) happening. Lots of sims suffering, starving and so on and so forth. Just as I like it
I have some more households to play with (around 6 or 7), so this rotation is going to take some, but maybe I'll manage to finish it in a month. I'm eager to install a monarchy in my game (mainly because I've downloaded some pretty interesting crowns).
So ... once again, it's nice to see you all and ... see you around!
Instructor
Original Poster
#743 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 5:03 PM
Hi, Lady Scarlet--it is so good to see you! :D

I am hoping we'll get to hear new stories about Alleken. Her story is my favorite. I will be excited to meet your new monarchy! Will they be wearing Wawa's crowns? They are so gorgeous!)

I have been doing nothing but working on 3.0 for the past month. It has been my life. So no simming for me right now.
Lab Assistant
#744 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 1:42 AM
So, good news: I've redownloaded a bunch of stuff I've needed which is super awesome. I even found some new stuff! And the best part is that I have not needed to dip into SimPE. When I redownloaded my custom skin and eye colours, they reinserted themselves into my sims, which was super surprising. I knew the skins would but not the eyes.

Anywho, I've been busying writing up my story because my sims are in their first winter while my story is still in spring (I got a little overeager and sped through some playing without pics) so I need to take pictures and write it up. So I'm in the same boat as you, @M3g7e because it's all write (and download) and no play

On the subject of 3.0 I am very appreciative of your pre-release offer, but I should redownload (and maybe do my schoolwork) before I start poring over the self sufficient docs. When I am all ready and set to go (and maybe when people actually have roofs over their heads ) I can allow myself some fun reading.

As for everyone elses stories... I want to read them

I'm so stumped for getting into the writing flow that I find reading other stories really help.
Instructor
#745 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 9:29 PM
I've started the rebuild of my hood. Quite frankly, I'd forgotten how much work it was. But, I've got the basic buildings down for the Royal court, although I do need to adjust some of them a bit.

Right now, I'm debating over if I should have the church and cemetery owned by the abbott of the monastery or if I should appoint a specific priest/vicar/whatever it's called in the religion I'll pick...The church and cemetery are located in the royal court, and I'm not planning on other churches yet, so it could be a royal appointment. I'm leaning towards the latter because I've got a plant for the monastery.

On another note, in my re-roll I rolled a vacation hood, which I was very happy about, since it meant I could bring back the Far East! Also rolled a combinec rural/community area. which will be farmers and craftsmen in a village. Also rolled a uni hood, but I'm doing everything in one neighborhood (with adjusted lot sizes), so it's a university where a town sprung up around it (think medieval Cambridge). The plan
is to have some of the monks teach at the university, alongside secular professors, as was the norm back then. The ladies finishing school would be attached to the convent. The hospice/hospital care would also be attached to the convent, while the monks at the monastery will be beekeepers.

I want to grow the neighborhood organically, so I'm not starting with too much people. I also lucked out (or not, we'll see) in rolling 1 fief for the duchies. So the main neighborhood will contain the royal court, two duchies, of which one will have a barony and one a baronetcy. Warwickshire challenge reduced style It's an experiment, but one I'm looking forward to.
Test Subject
#746 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 12:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by samantha_kathy
I want to grow the neighborhood organically, so I'm not starting with too much people.

I did the same. My hood started out with 20 families, but I "knew" all of them from previous challanges (i.e. Charter-Challenge, etc). All the momeries with their ancesters makes the community feel "older" :lovestruc

In addition, the ages of the offsprings are more evenly spread. Before it was like on one monday I would marry about 6 couples and then I'd have to wait for the next generation (well, almost), but now I wed about 2 couples per routation. Makes the game a lot more enjoyable, because it's not the same in every family.

Question: Diseases again How does a person gain the quality "mean"/"nice"? And for how long does "death of relative sim" count towards Melancholy? Same for "Needs failure". Do the events add up? For Example: A sim lost two familymembers is it still "+10" or "+20"?
Instructor
#747 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 7:03 PM Last edited by samantha_kathy : 9th Aug 2014 at 7:19 PM.
I've seen mentions of a tree that sims can "cut down" and it then changes into a pile of wood. I haven't been able to find it, though. Does anyone know if it's still available and if yes, where? I've asked in the WCIF forum as well, but I think I first saw it mentioned by someone on this thread, so I'm hoping someone here will have the answer.

ETA: never mind. They were found really quickly!
Instructor
#748 Old 10th Aug 2014 at 2:25 PM Last edited by samantha_kathy : 17th Aug 2014 at 11:18 AM.
So, I'm building my neighborhood and I want it to be self-suffient, integrated economy (maybe some trade, with the Far East, for example). So I've been making a list of all the crops and other food-foraging/making I could find, both in-game and with downloads. Food-producing animals were also added (with actual animations and food production in-game, no pretending needed). Then I added things like mining, wood, and crafts of items needed. So, this is the list I ended up with - have I missed anything that you guys know of?

ETA: added M3g7e's suggestions to the list.
ETA 2: added the sculpture manufactory (available on MTS) to the list, for when I get a mason.

Instructor
Original Poster
#749 Old 12th Aug 2014 at 8:54 PM Last edited by M3g7e : 12th Aug 2014 at 9:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Yvi-Sama
Diseases again How does a person gain the quality "mean"/"nice"? And for how long does "death of relative sim" count towards Melancholy? Same for "Needs failure". Do the events add up? For Example: A sim lost two familymembers is it still "+10" or "+20"?

The quality mean/nice is the sim's personality quotient, which they have from birth. It can change if you encourage a child in one direction or the other enough times, or if you have custom content, like a personality book, etc.

The "death of relative" should be within 1-2 days of the event, as long as the sim is still mourning. If the sim had a fear of losing the loved one, and they are still in needs/aspiration failure due to the hit, then the "death of a relative" modifier is still in effect. If it has been a long time, and the death is now only a bad memory, the modifier should not be used. Yes, the events should be added up: it certainly should make a difference whether a sim has lost multiple loved ones, especially when calculating the odds for melancholy--or anything, for that matter.

Samantha_Kathy, it looks like you've got a very comprehensive list here! (And I see that you're keeping abreast of all the wonderful developments at PBK!!!--they have me swooning!) I have just a couple of suggestions to add:

Metate & Mano places a container of corn in sim's inventory, sellable for $80
Candle Crafting Station Sims can make a variety of different candles for sale.
There are some Castaway Stories conversions available at MATY, which include coffee and tropical fruit trees (banana, coconut, papaya). All are harvestible for food/cash. There's also a crafting station included, but not totally clear on what, exactly, it produces. The trees are great, though.
Ermelind also made some crops , which can be harvested. I'm not entirely clear on how these work, so they may not be suitable for a self-sustaining economy, but they are worth a look.

And even though these aren't super important in terms of a broader economy, there are the witch craftables which are sellable, too.

If I think of anything else, I'll certainly post it here.
Instructor
#750 Old 13th Aug 2014 at 12:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by M3g7e
Samantha_Kathy, it looks like you've got a very comprehensive list here! (And I see that you're keeping abreast of all the wonderful developments at PBK!!!--they have me swooning!) I have just a couple of suggestions to add:

Metate & Mano places a container of corn in sim's inventory, sellable for $80
Candle Crafting Station Sims can make a variety of different candles for sale.
There are some Castaway Stories conversions available at MATY, which include coffee and tropical fruit trees (banana, coconut, papaya). All are harvestible for food/cash. There's also a crafting station included, but not totally clear on what, exactly, it produces. The trees are great, though.
Ermelind also made some crops , which can be harvested. I'm not entirely clear on how these work, so they may not be suitable for a self-sustaining economy, but they are worth a look.

And even though these aren't super important in terms of a broader economy, there are the witch craftables which are sellable, too.

If I think of anything else, I'll certainly post it here.

Thank you very much for the suggestions! The metate & mano download will be great to have farmers/workers process the corn I've got as a crop. The same thing I'm planning with the butter churn for the herders with cows. The castaway craft bench produces toys and robots (originally just toys but the robots were added in the conversion) according the the read me file accompanying the download, so it's a bit redundant in my opinion. (Besides, my dl folder is big enough already!). I'll have to try out the last crop link you gave me. The German text wasn't any more clear on what harvesting actually means than the English text. But, if it provide actual products, I'll add the wheat as a crop and the flower meadow as a feed for animals (cows, sheep, pigs). She's also got corn, but like with the castaway craft station, it's redundant since I've already got corn in my game. And I love the candle making! With bees being kept, I can have a production line from bees that produce 'wax' (okay, honey, but I can pretend), which is sold to the candlemaker, who can make candles from it (by selling the honey and using that money to make candles), who can then sell the candles to everyone who hasn't got electricity (aka, everyone who's not living in a grand manor, since electricity is new and exciting and expensive).
Page 30 of 44