Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Nov 2014 at 5:23 AM
Default noob questions
Hi...totally new to this kind of thing so apologies for noobness in advance...

What's the difference between recoloring and cloning? What I want is to make sure I'm creating an 'additional' color of an object and not 'replacing' it.

And when using the Wizards of SimPE, can someone please tell me why I keep getting "you can't recolor this yet?" I've went through every post and haven't found a definative answer for this. I see someone posted that you just click 'back' but that's not working for me. Can someone explain it to me, please?

Thanks!
G
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 12:03 AM
Recoloring is making a new texture package that links to an existing object. Cloning is copying the data of an object into a file for a new item. What you've described is recoloring, except if you want to recolor a fence you have to clone it for reasons that are beyond me but not changeable.

I don't use Wizards of SimPe, so I don't know what that error message is. I use "object workshop," the button for which is probably on the bottom of your screen, and just follow along, it's easy and doesnb't give you that particular inexplicable error message. If you've gotten to the point of having error messages in SimPe, you probably already know that you need a texture which is in the ratio of 1:1, 1:2, or 2:1 (depending on what the original was," and with measurements that are a power of 2 (256, 512, 1024, for example). And you probably already know that when you get to the point of actually having the texture in front of you to replace,. you right-click it and choose "build DXT," and choose DXT 3 or 5 preferentially.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 12:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lucy kemnitzer
Recoloring is making a new texture package that links to an existing object. Cloning is copying the data of an object into a file for a new item. What you've described is recoloring, except if you want to recolor a fence you have to clone it for reasons that are beyond me but not changeable.

I don't use Wizards of SimPe, so I don't know what that error message is. I use "object workshop," the button for which is probably on the bottom of your screen, and just follow along, it's easy and doesnb't give you that particular inexplicable error message. If you've gotten to the point of having error messages in SimPe, you probably already know that you need a texture which is in the ratio of 1:1, 1:2, or 2:1 (depending on what the original was," and with measurements that are a power of 2 (256, 512, 1024, for example). And you probably already know that when you get to the point of actually having the texture in front of you to replace,. you right-click it and choose "build DXT," and choose DXT 3 or 5 preferentially.

Well, if I knew any of that, I'd probably have been using "object workshop" instead of the Wizard, hence the thread title. As to the rest, it's totally Greek to me because, again, ...noob. Thanks for trying though. I do appreciate it.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 1:30 AM
Wizards just doesn't support everything - but the Object Workshop is very easy to use, as lucy says. Here's a tutorial: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=102356

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Nov 2014 at 5:29 PM
By the way, cloning does not equal replacing necessarily. You must clone an object, to make your own though. Since you will give your object (the clone) a new GUID, the game will keep the original, but add yours to the catalog.
Not giving your own object its own GUID...is how you'd make a default replacement.
Just saying.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 8:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
By the way, cloning does not equal replacing necessarily. You must clone an object, to make your own though. Since you will give your object (the clone) a new GUID, the game will keep the original, but add yours to the catalog.
Not giving your own object its own GUID...is how you'd make a default replacement.
Just saying.

Thank you for the clarification, Rosebine.