Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Mar 2013 at 2:47 AM Last edited by SystemsOperator : 31st Mar 2013 at 3:13 AM.
Sims 3 randomly doesn't like *some* packages. Game won't start, black screen.
Hello,
I've been looking all over for answers to this. I've gone back and read through "CC basics", cleared caches, etc. etc. etc. all the normal things one should hopefully try before posting. I've reinstalled god knows how many times.

I've managed to fix any game issues on my own (crashes and things that happened before; runs perfectly smooth now) but cannot figure out why installing packages is such a pain in the *. I'm SO CONFUSED.

Every time I download new packages, I have to go through this long process of starting my game only to see the Black Screen of doom (it just doesn't start up — no error, nothing). So I remove the new stuff and go through one by one, all the while deleting caches and quitting wineservers and force-quitting, etc.

Finally, I usually get a few new pieces of cc to work and the game loads up. But sometimes nothing works. Other times, it doesn't work the first few times and then suddenly it does later (I have no idea why, even if I repeat the steps for a different file from the same creator, I can't replicate the effect). I can't predict which types of content will work or won't — sometimes it's a wall, a pattern, a chair, something from a creator whose other stuff works. Delphy's Dashboard doesn't identify any conflicts with the new stuff. Nothing on the creator's sites alerts me that it won't work. It's a complete guessing game. So annoying.

Anyone else having these problems?

Please Note:
  • I'm playing on a Mac Mini, 10.7.5.
  • My game is patched to the latest version: 15.0.135... All of the obvious, please trust I have it done.
  • I'm running World Adventures, Late Night, Pets, and Supernatural — all correctly installed, in order, and updated.
  • I no longer use Sims3Packs or the Launcher's DL manager. Package only.
  • I've converted any old Sims3Packs to packages.
  • I use Delphy's Sims3Pack converter and Delphy's Dashboard to manage and check my content.
  • There are no issues with any mods or cc currently installed; everything runs fine once installed. There's only a problem when installing new packages.

Thank you for reading!

P.S.
I started out playing with Pets and Supernatural, and had no CC problems at first. Then did the whole clean-install process later when I got WA and LN. I didn't have these problems when I just had Pets and SN. It seems like it all started happening after installing WA, but as I said I've tried to clean up the install itself and update so many times, I don't know if it's just something in WA or LN that makes CC unrecognizable?

P.P.S
A few other things I just thought of to mention:
I don't have any crazy core mods like Awesome, etc.
My only non-cc mods are:
SimsMX Consignment Overhaul
Granthes OMSP and Tipsy OMSP (kind of cc)
and NoBuildSparkles (I removed NoIntro when this stuff first started happening because it gave me less anxiety to at least see the EA logo pop up)

Also, my WA was installed via CD because at the time Origin's download/installation wasn't working. They've resolved the matter, but I haven't wanted to try reinstalling my WA via download because if download doesn't work out, I'll have to re-install with CD again and that takes HOURS.
However, could it be screwing things up just because it's a CD install? Supposedly you can mix CD- and Download-based installs, but also supposedly you can install out of order and I'm sure we all know that works REAL WELL /sarcasm.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 31st Mar 2013 at 11:04 PM
UPDATE:
I just tried something else I didn't before — I took out my existing mods (I've done that part; of course game loads fine when vanilla) and then inserted the new ones that wouldn't allow for start-up before. The game started.

That tells me that either:
A. one of my existing CC things is messing with new things being installed... now to find it.
or
B. I saw something on another thread saying that a Mac has a certain amount of files (in GB) it can load up at a time. I don't know if this was accurate or totally true. However, I have 1.36 GB of CC/mods. The person who made that thread I think had a weaker Mac and nearly 4 GB of CC, so if there is indeed a limit I don't think I should be at it yet.

My Mac Specs:
2011 Mini
Ram: 8 GB
Hard Drive: over 300 GB left
Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

It's probably A. Will keep updating in case there's anyone else out there with this particular problem.

Amazing how much debugging one has to do with this game... I just want to play. Ridiculous.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st Apr 2013 at 8:23 PM
Update #2:

After using the above method of putting in the NEW cc and seeing that it worked alone, I tried keeping it in and then testing my OLD cc folder-by-folder.

I kept track of what I did with thorough notes (might post these, for future reference), hoping to come to some kind of conclusion... but have not reached a meaningful one.

At first it looked like I had some bad plants. But then I took out all of my hair because I suspected that and put the plants back, and what do you know! The plants were fine. Then I put all the hair back in, only taking out some... For sure, it doesn't like some of the hair. Which is strange, because it worked before — it's like some hair is somehow interacting with my new objects and plants? Even though that doesn't show up as a conflict in Delphy's Dashboard or anything.

Still a guessing game... at least now I'm pretty sure that my root problem is in some weird CC interactions that I can't trace.

Also, one other strange problem I don't think I mentioned in the OP: Ever since I installed World Adventures (no matter that I re-installed and clean installed a few times and updated the right way) some window and door sets just don't work. I'm sad that the clear wall set from here doesn't work, and CycloneSue's awesome set of Colonial Windows and Factory Windows from TSR also don't (same problem: black screen on startup, no error, but usually able to ALT+TAB out to Force Quit).
Is there anything known about World Adventures that borks windows and doors? I haven't been able to find anything.
Test Subject
#4 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 10:47 PM
I've got the same problem and no idea how to solve it. Sometimes the game starts, others it doesn't. I've also got an awful lot of CC so I'm guessing that may be the issue (don't know if the quantity or the quality, though)
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 13th Sep 2014 at 11:36 PM
@TheBreakingHell, you should create your own thread instead of necroing a thread that's over a year old, not all issues are identical.

For now, I would suggest trying this:

http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title..._Custom_Content