Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 6:45 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 26th Sep 2015 at 6:55 PM.
Default Income for Young Adults
My own sims live all in the main hood using the Scringe College pack so they live like normal adults, but because the major and class performance replace the career or school icons in skill/career section/panel (don't know what you call it!), they can't have a part time job like teenagers which is something my sims really need because they have kids early and move out just before they are becoming young adult and live on their own AND have to pay rather high taxes daily (they are more like custom bills that replace any other fees, rent, tax, electricity, school everything, so I don't really think its too high). They don't live in a modern society, depending o their parents or have kids at 25+ (which is typical where I live).

SO, I really need to find another way to pay these "custom bills" and food/repair expenses. Which is In my hood, each family has to fork up at least a couple thousands weekly..

Other than : kaching/motherlode, loaning or having relative send money (something I use hacked objects for, but unless they're rich, most family have barely any pocket money left.. AND selling painting (obvious) or looking for treasures (which I don't allow in my hood unless and NON-CUSTOM kinds,
What can they do to get a reasonable income since they can't have a normal career?

not so important for this thread, (or its more like a personal gameplay. The topic is about earning money for a certain age group, which probably every player has to do whe playing) I tends to play with rather strict rules where they can only earn money based on their lifestyle, so if they are musicial, they're not allowed sell crops or own resturants, its need to be music related, making their option fewer.. Although Im consider myself a creative person, I don't always come up ideas on my own and need inspiration and starting this thread to see what other do with their young adults, finance wise. .

Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 7:01 PM
They do have the ability to work on community lots while visiting. DJ, bartender, not sure if there are other choices. Young adults usually do these types of jobs while at college.

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 7:12 PM
DJ and bar tending, but my students, performing on musical instruments on community lots (must have enough creativity skills to make money); performing free (must have enough charisma points to make money);
hustle at pool table; making pottery or flower arrangements or something, sell paintings.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 7:17 PM
Farming and fishing. Farming involves an initial capital investment in land, but fishing doesn't.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#5 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 7:33 PM
Maybe you can use the meeting controller and wallet controller to simulate a job for them? For example, say you have a Sim who runs a restaurant. They can't hire the YA Sim, but they can bring them in via the meeting controller, and you can make them go deliver the food and tidy up plates. Then, at the end of the day, you can use the wallet controller to pay them. You could do this with other things, too! Daycare, farmhands, janitors, perhaps even an employee for a firm (architecture, law, etc... some big office, basically). I think it could work! Sure, they don't gain money when you're playing their household, but at least they have some income.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 8:07 PM
Are you saying YA's can't have a job when using Squinges mod to let them study in the main hood, or YAs in general? Because there are ways to give YA's jobs, and I don't see why they wouldn't work for main hood Sims.

There have been a bunch of threads in the past on all the ways Sims can make money. You could probably find inspiration in one of those, if someone could link to them.

Monique computer lets you write articles, that could be one way. Pretend they are writing for the school paper or something.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 8:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
Are you saying YA's can't have a job when using Squinges mod to let them study in the main hood, or YAs in general? Because there are ways to give YA's jobs, and I don't see why they wouldn't work for main hood Sims.

Because the career/school panel is replaced to the major and performance, young adult can't, or least I'm not aware of, having a Career, the one you get by paper or computer, so they need find other ways to earn decent money.

But since they live in the main hood they're (probably) less restricted than living in dorms but Im not sure if certain way sim adults earn money are restricted for Y.A, like community lots and such because Im not aware of it, I never needed them to work before because they lived with their elder parents, but now I got a couple of couples (lol, double use of couple), who live on their own with 1-2 toddlers/children and has seperate bills (their parent's houses are too big so I moved them out via teenpc hacked computer).

I was looking for some more creative ideas rather than "well, they earn it by painting".
Mad Poster
#8 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 8:50 PM
A YA can have a job, just like a teens, even though they are studying. Maxis didn't design ways for them to apply for jobs, but you can get YAs as suggestions for employees when running businesses so the job-part is there. You can't see the job information in the tab, but this painting by christianlov tells you everything you need to know.

Don't remember if you need any other mods to be able to give them jobs with Simblender and such, though. The painting also lets you pick a job, so you probably only need it.

Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#9 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 8:53 PM
I believe if they make dean's list, they will earn extra simoleons.

Catalogue of Custom Neighborhoods for TS2
All Hood Building Group neighborhoods are available here
Want to get rid of EA's sims in neighborhoods? Check out my Clean and Empty Steatlh Hoods and Clean and Empty Neighborhood Templates
My Simblr
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 9:02 PM
Someone in the dorm can also buy a small lot (if you have a custom commercial 1x1 lot, the better ... it's not too expensive, then), and your Simmies can sell their paintings, crafts, etc. I don't believe that's affected by a custom mod. I had an entrepreneurial student do that once, and he made some decent cash.

Just be a little careful, though. I have no idea whether one of my mods did this, but once, I got a food judge on the lot. "Twas easy to ban her butt using the Blender, though, and that was a one-time occurrence.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Scholar
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
A YA can have a job, just like a teens, even though they are studying. Maxis didn't design ways for them to apply for jobs, but you can get YAs as suggestions for employees when running businesses so the job-part is there. You can't see the job information in the tab, but this painting by christianlov tells you everything you need to know. .

I'll try out when Ive created the businesses (just finished editing and now on creating the lots), because selling stuff from doing different objects can get a bit tiring and boring.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 10:06 PM
They can have jobs, there is a mod called 'Hire Young Adults'. Only I am not awake enough to find it right now. I will later. Just got out of bed and feel like I was going through the jungle all night. -_-

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 10:36 PM
Well, I did had ideas like armies, monastery and stuff (but never got around it) but most of the kids are toddlers (real life age 1-4 years old) so they're a little early to marry them off or send them away.

I heard of tutoring or working for a wealthy before, and Ive a scientist geek dude who got married off early, but there are not so much (non cc) stuff related to science sims, but he probably could work as a tutor, but doesn't the sim need to live at their house?
(most families are full apart from the younger families).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 10:36 PM
Florentzina it doesn't allow normal jobs like Military or medical but it allows your business owners to hire them. So they will go to work and come back home like a normal job.
http://www.insimenator.org/showthread.php?t=41951 Hope that shows, the page is having trouble loading. It's by Squinge. After hiring them I put the job description in the bio and say who they work for since the YA panel is all you will see and you might forget where they work- or I certainly do.

Hope this makes sense, this is after 2 cups of coffee and headache pills. It was my sons birthday party last night and I feel like I am hung over on talking, BBQ and cake.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 10:44 PM
The linked worked joandsarah, thanks.
Going to be useful so everyone won't own business or sell crafted items. (Ive a farmer family where four sims help with the crops and taking care of three toddlers, urgh, somewhat tiredsome
A sibling of the couple had to move with his wife and two kids. Both households will work as farmers/fishersims so it's a family I don't to need to worry much about finance. ).
Mad Poster
#17 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 10:55 PM
The painting I posted works for regular maxis jobs. I don't believe I needed anything else to make YA's able to use it, but I could be forgetting some mod that made it possible. Perhaps someone else uses it and has better memory than I do.

Field Researcher
#18 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 10:56 PM
Can young adults use the lemonade stand?
if so jack up the prices as high as they can go and wait for profit.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 10:59 PM
Interesting I'd never seen his YA painting before. Does it say somewhere it works on YA?

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#20 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 11:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Florentzina
Because the career/school panel is replaced to the major and performance, young adult can't, or least I'm not aware of, having a Career, the one you get by paper or computer, so they need find other ways to earn decent money.

I too use Squinge's College mod and have been able to give young adults normal careers just fine. Though the information panel is indeed blocked, I just simply make a note of the time they have to leave for work, as well as what time they return home (for the purpose of making sure there is no overlap with their classes).

Also, I do not use the 'Hire Young Adults' mod that Jo mentioned - I simply use Mog's Job Noticeboard (have not tried using the computer or newspaper) to choose a career that has the preferred work hours and then put Cyjon's Job Stopinator in their inventory to keep them from being promoted. The carpool will pick them up and drop them off just as it normally would.

That aside, there have been some great suggestions in this thread.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 11:36 PM
@PenelopeT You only need 'Hire YA' if you want a sim to hire them at their business as a sales person, or cashier or something like that. You can't hire them with the job notice board, that's just for regular jobs.

If the job board will get them regular jobs then I won't need the painting as I already have the job board, I just haven't tried it with YA yet as I haven't needed to/didn't think to try So far the hood only has 3 YA not doing Uni, 2 work at owned businesses as hired employees and the third runs his own business. Well a market stall that is doing quite badly.

~Call me Jo~
Scholar
Original Poster
#23 Old 26th Sep 2015 at 11:47 PM Last edited by Florentzina : 27th Sep 2015 at 12:05 AM. Reason: double now. -.-
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
OP, I am not sure if you can have factories in your game. You did say that you play a pre-modern neighborhood, which may imply pre-industrial times or before the age of mass production..
'

I don't follow the period to the letter. I just keeping futuristic stuff away and have more oldfashioned customs and many things are altered.
(How many people nowadays get married and kids at 17-19 or have more than one wife, as a "normal" thing for example? )

Because I prefer shorter lifespan, I would just get overwhelming making everything pre-modern-ish, because the hood would develope rather fast, plus want to keep CC to the minimum (have 1GB now, most are hacks or replacements). Avoiding aliees and male pregnancies are easy but I don't bother much about careers and objects and chocolate probably existed during 1700-1850
Theorist
#24 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
@PenelopeT You only need 'Hire YA' if you want a sim to hire them at their business as a sales person, or cashier or something like that. You can't hire them with the job notice board, that's just for regular jobs.

Ah, I see. Most of my Sims cannot afford to hire employees for their business ... sometimes I will have other household members help out if need be.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#25 Old 27th Sep 2015 at 12:07 AM
Yes that is an issue I know well, it's why I went over to the simlogical auto pay sign for some places as a lot of my sims are quite poor. My cafe needed a barista and you need to hire somebody to run it because it doesn't work if your owner runs it, due to Maxis breaking it. So I hired one there and the other that I hired for the library, I might try the job notice board instead for her since the library doesn't really need her. I allow the library to get the money perks which is what she is being paid out of.

~Call me Jo~
Page 1 of 2