Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 7:27 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Conflict & the 50/50 Method
So I've been having some really serious crashes on my Legacy Household lot. The crashing seems to increase the more sims I have on the lot and I did some things to try and correct the problem like remove recently added hacks, send the graves to cemetery, even move the family onto a smaller lot and get rid of household items that might be retaining old sim data clogging up the lot. The only thing that seemed to help was removing a hack that just didn't work for me and reducing the number of sims in the house. But this only sort of helped. I'm still having pretty bad crashing problems with that lot.

I did some more testing, played some crowded households in my other neighborhoods, and no problem. The problem is something to do with my legacy household. So at this point I'm thinking there must be a corrupt sim or something. I decided its time for the 50/50. So I took out all my content, played through a sim week and no problems. I invited a lot of sims over to visit, sent sims on outings, let a pet die, threw parties had fires, all sort of things and no crashing. And then I proceeded to test my downloads (clothing,furniture,hairs,etc...) played a sim week no crashes. Took the downloads out put the hacks in played a sim week no crashes. Took the hacks out put the saved sims folder in played a sim week no crashes.

So all right according to the wiki I must have a conflict of some sort. But I literally have no idea how to figure this out. What kind blouse conflicts with a hack? What I am asking you all is how would you proceed to the next part of testing? I know I have to put the folders back in together to test, but rather than putting in a random half of my downloads with all of my hacks are there any items that are more likely to conflict with hacks than others?

For example custom counters crashing with pescado's OFB hacks, that sort of thing. Also the crashing was most frequent when there were a lot of sims on the lot so maybe that does factor in some way? IDK yet. Any thoughts on what might speed up or make this process more efficient would be greatly appreciated.

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 8:10 PM
Have you gone through the list that might cause corruption? Do that first and find out if you did anything to cause corruption.It is on Wiki.

Some downloads should never be taken out - I am not sure of all of them, but I know terrain paint should stay, it crashes lots. And you should not take out multi pollination technician default replacements. Mods should only be removed according to the creator's instructions.

Sometimes, it can just be cc, though, so I'd start with taking out the buy things - wals and floors should not crash your game. Hair should not, but hair with extremely high polycounts slows your game down immensely. I have myself encountered a kitchen counter problem once. CC conflicts can also lead to crashing and sometimes, a cc item may get corrupted during the download process and it has to be downloaded again.

I would first remove the latest cc you have added to your game.

I take the long way. Keeping in the stuff that has never caused me problems (and it is only a tiny amount of cc) - I put the other cc back one by one. I have been putting things back one by one for about a week now (sigh) since my game suddenly crashed for the first time in years.

Make extra sure that you have the right mods for your game, though, and even other cc stuff - eg. some things are updated for pets or free time or seasons and others are not - I don't know if such cc will crash your game, but better safe than sorry.

Personally, I found removing default clothing normally clears up my problems - many do not agree with me, but then I have only downloaded defaults recently and some of those files have been around forever, so anything could have gone wrong there as well.

I am not sure that I can be of much more help, except that what I have done has saved my game after a - yes - urn - decided to go missing.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 9:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
Have you gone through the list that might cause corruption? Do that first and find out if you did anything to cause corruption.It is on Wiki.

Some downloads should never be taken out - I am not sure of all of them, but I know terrain paint should stay, it crashes lots. And you should not take out multi pollination technician default replacements. Mods should only be removed according to the creator's instructions.

meh I made a back up. the test hood is totaly going in the trash once I figure out what the problem is, that way I didn't have to sort through all the hacks that should never be removed(not that I have many of those) or only removed a certain way. I did wonder if it would impact the test, but zero crashes, stalls or glitches. I'm sure its not good for the long term health of the hood, but like I said its already trash.

Quote:
Sometimes, it can just be cc, though, so I'd start with taking out the buy things - wals and floors should not crash your game. Hair should not, but hair with extremely high polycounts slows your game down immensely. I have myself encountered a kitchen counter problem once. CC conflicts can also lead to crashing and sometimes, a cc item may get corrupted during the download process and it has to be downloaded again.

I would first remove the latest cc you have added to your game.

I take the long way. Keeping in the stuff that has never caused me problems (and it is only a tiny amount of cc) - I put the other cc back one by one. I have been putting things back one by one for about a week now (sigh) since my game suddenly crashed for the first time in years.

Make extra sure that you have the right mods for your game, though, and even other cc stuff - eg. some things are updated for pets or free time or seasons and others are not - I don't know if such cc will crash your game, but better safe than sorry.

Personally, I found removing default clothing normally clears up my problems - many do not agree with me, but then I have only downloaded defaults recently and some of those files have been around forever, so anything could have gone wrong there as well.

these seem like good starting places tbh. I know for a fact that I have both the pet compatible and non-compatible Holy Simoly claw foot bathtubs in my game when you're only supposed to have one. its never seemed to cause a problem so i've never taken care of it. who knows this could be exactly the problem. I also have defaulted clothing so I'll test that as well.

Quote:
I am not sure that I can be of much more help, except that what I have done has saved my game after a - yes - urn - decided to go missing.

thanks for the suggestions. you've given me a starting place at least. and the missing urn thing sucks. i once moved a sim out of her dorm after another sim died on the lot. yup. thankfully it was only for a one generation round-robin legacy, but still. :/

Check out my simblr https://www.tumblr.com/blog/tbssimblr

Click the link, you know you want to. ;)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 10:23 PM
I hope you solve the problem
Mad Poster
#5 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 10:29 PM
Turn on testing cheats and see if an error report will pop up and post it a Simbology and they will help you out with it.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#6 Old 20th Jul 2015 at 11:03 PM
Even with a test hood, do not remove No Sim Loaded, removing that can cause the Debug Super Hug to manifest in your game. Anything that is game wide not just hood specific should stay. I'm not sure about multiPT mods but I would not remove them either in case it might break the family tree in another hood.

Anything can make your game crash from some hair which might crash your game as soon as the sim with that hair walks on the lot to a counter. It does not have to be a mod, in fact any crashing I have ever had that was cc related has never been a mod. Mod conflicts tend to give jump bugs or random glitches or suddenly another mod doesn't work.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#7 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 12:20 PM
Something I forgot - you might need the smarter EP check by Cyjon if you have nosimloaded (I am not sure if it goes for all the versions, but it definitely goes for the one I use) - I once kept doing the 50/50 and everything only worked after I (contrary to Jo's advice!) removed nosimloaded. My Sims could not go fishing! When I went back to what Boiling Oil wrote about his mod, I realised that I had somehow removed the smarter ep check.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#8 Old 29th Jul 2015 at 12:47 PM
A few mods need Smarter EP check and that should be with No Sim Loaded in your 'Do Not remove' folder. It's easy when you sort cc or make a new game to forget things that are extras. Like today in my newish game I placed the Annie couch and wondered why it didn't turn modular but I was playing two toddlers and thought I'd check later. Then I realize sims are pausing every few seconds even while play is running and one visitor seemed to be stuck paused by the couch. On a hunch I removed the Annie sofa, moved the sim and put down a maxis couch- sims once again start moving like normal. I'd never had an issue with that sofa in my old game so i went over to redownload it, read the thread and saw I needed another mod with it. Issue fixed. Sometimes it pays to go back and read carefully over the details and readme's of new items not just mods to see if something else is needed or if you have the correct file.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th Jul 2015 at 4:41 AM
I was just getting rid of cc I don't use that day and removed the smarter EP check unintentionally - and it literally took me hours to realise, since I honestly thought I have not removed any mods (nor added any). So I thought it might be helpful to somebody else. And marking files that should not be removed is a great idea.