Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#26 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 9:11 AM
hi.... that's my problem, too...
i'm using the same version of simpe....
what kind of mistake is that?... :?:

this is my HP - cu there?
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 9:13 AM
You are right! It did't use to be so in the previous versions of SimPE. I'm going to tell Quaxi about this issue.
Thank you.
Field Researcher
#28 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 9:43 AM
Yup... I'm running 2 versions of SimPE at the moment, so I can make more glass - 14e works fine with it.

And once the new MATD and TXTR have been attached to the object, 14h works with it.

OK. more interesting notes with glass.

The glass picture itself is upside down. (well at least in the independent expressions showcase window

Also, is the texture and the alpha channel stored as a single file? I'm noticing that the quality of the texture deteriorates markedly as soon as I do any really fancy alpha channels. I think this may have something to do with the size of the texture in comparison to the size of the actual window.

Is it possible to attach a different shaped texture to the window? or is the 512x512 the expected size?

Kiri
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 2:08 PM
Kiri, I'm glad that you have found a way to go on with your work, using two copies of SimPE. But remember that the v 14h complies with Maxis standards, while 14e not. In particular, after you have created a package with v. 14e, check if all the files have GroupID set to 0xFFFFFFFF; if not, set it to this value.

Yes, the glass picture is upside down, i've noticed it. Odd, isn't it? Just like tha paintings that reverse horizontally the image...

As for the textures, I had some problems, too. Maybe the way that SimPE and my paint program (PaintShop Pro) handle the alpha is different.
I usually export the the alpha in a separate file; then modify the alpha in PSP and then reimport the alpha (update all sizes and commit).
The first times, I exported the whole texture, containing its alpha channel, edited both in PSP and then reimported the whole texture, but the results weren't good to me; so I changed procedure.

The size of the texture... I don't know if it can be resized. I only know that I had problems when I tried to import a smaller picture into a larger texture. And if you try the opposite (import a larger picture in a smaller texture), SimPE will only do it by cropping the picture.
If you discover something new about this, let me know.
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#30 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 2:16 PM
numenor,

Haven't we been given the go-ahead to use group 0x1C50000?

RG
Test Subject
#31 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 2:18 PM
numenor, i'm also using PSP8...
and it works good with simpe, but SimPE don't show it good enough, i think...
my way:
export texture, export alpha...
change both with PSP to the image i want to have
import the texture- update all sizes, than import the alpha- update all sizes...
after saving SimPE shows the glass image as damaged...
but ingame not.... looks always good...
look like my picture above....
i made the window this way and SimPE shows it very different ...
but all we need is a good result :D

this is my HP - cu there?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 2:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by RGiles
numenor,

Haven't we been given the go-ahead to use group 0x1C50000?

RG

I've read again that post, and I still think that the 0x1C50000 group is not hardcoded, yet; it will be in the future, with the next EP... Do you think it's already active? None of the current Maxis files uses that group...
And anyway, until Quaxi doesn't update SimPE, it's better (at least for us Mr. Fix-it ) that all the users adopt a uniform way of recolouring. Don't you think so?

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Field Researcher
#33 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 2:31 PM
I'm using PSP7.

I export the image and the alpha separately, do my fiddling, and then import the channels separately. with the windows I'm finding that anything less than opaque on the Tiffany stained glass, and I'm getting it VERY blurred both in SimPE and in the game. From the looks of the blurring, it looks like the problem is with the resizing algorithm, and the grey/white background is impacting the main image.

But it's really only noticeable on the large framed windows.

I'm assuming that if we want to adjust the texture mapping for a window, then we're going to have to make a clone, and make it as a new mesh?

BTW - Have we had any people doing new meshes of windows? I'd love a mesh for a wall to floor window without frame.

Kiri
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#34 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 2:42 PM Last edited by numenor : 31st Jan 2005 at 2:46 PM.
I was thinking that maybe an alternative procedure can be the following:
- Export the texture and the alpha
- Edit both in PSP
- Still in PSP, select the main texture; menu "Create new Mask / From image" and select the separate alpha image; menu "Save in Alpha Channel" (overwrite the current alpha channel); File/Save.
- In SimPE, "Create DXT" using the DDS tools (commit *without* updating all sizes, then save)

What you think? The explanation is too cryptic?
#35 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by numenor
And anyway, until Quaxi doesn't update SimPE, it's better (at least for us Mr. Fix-it ) that all the users adopt a uniform way of recolouring. Don't you think so?

It doesn't hurt. I think he was saying that Maxis isn't using that group and will continue not to. But I'm not entirely sure.

RG
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#36 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 2:48 PM
It doesn't hurt. I think he was saying that Maxis isn't using that group and will continue not to. But I'm not entirely sure.

RG

I'm going to run some tests, then. But if it's not hardcoded, yet, using a group different then the Private or the Global ones always produces flashing blue textures.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Field Researcher
#37 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 2:56 PM
That's not cryptic Numenor, I'll give it a go tomorrow (It's 2am)

Kiri
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#38 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 3:15 PM
RGiles, the new group is not hardcoded yet; the goth stairs are flashing blue (even the "main" texture for the stairs).
But if I change the groupID to the Global one, it works like a charm, no hashes needed at all, and the package can be renamed.
So, we have definitely to wait...
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 3:30 PM
Default recolouring glass doors & windows
Hi Numenor,

Forgive the stupid question - is it possible to recolour transparent window doors and doors the usual way or do we have to use only your "broken glass" tutorial?
I am a little confused.

Thanks for all your efforts and best regards,

Mausi :howdy:
#40 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 4:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by numenor
RGiles, the new group is not hardcoded yet; the goth stairs are flashing blue (even the "main" texture for the stairs).

Did you do this like Tom described using
##0x1c050000!unique_as_possible_material_name

for the filenames and references? I just tried it (on a simple object, though) and it worked. Sorry for being off topic. :D

RG
#41 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mausi
Forgive the stupid question - is it possible to recolour transparent window doors and doors the usual way or do we have to use only your "broken glass" tutorial?

Depends on what you mean when you say "the usual way". Most Window glass does not use a texture image, so there's no image file to edit when you're starting out. For those, if you want to apply a texture image, you need to follow this tutorial. If your window is one of the few that already had a texture image applied to it, you can follow the usual steps. Or you can change the glass color (all as one color, without designs) by editing just the Material Description and not use a Texture Image at all.

RG
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 7:52 PM
Default transparent(glass) window/doors recolours
Thank you RG for your prompt answer. It really helped. I had some problems yesterday trying to create transparent textures, but it was rather late at night......

You guys are great.

Greetings
:howdy: Mausi
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#43 Old 31st Jan 2005 at 10:03 PM
Sorry for being off topic. :D

Yes, we'd better go on discussing about it on Tom's thread.

Field Researcher
#44 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 12:14 AM Last edited by celebkiriedhel : 1st Feb 2005 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Cause I'm an idjit who forgot the other reason why I was in here...
OK - Mask and Alpha was fine in PSP. I had a try of the DDS thing - and it wanted a file with a ".DDS" suffix. If PSP created one of these with the PNG - then I don't see it.

I tried doing the PNG anyways and it came up with a "arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow" error.

How do I generate a DDS file from PSP?

Kiri

P.S. Reason number duo.
I've been trying to do a recolour for the window "The Function of Plate Glass"

I followed the tutorial steps... everything looks fine and good.

I've compared the MATD and MMAT TXTR to a working recolour - and apart from the name (and the hash value) they're exactly the same.

But the window comes out as completely clear. It's even different to the original window, in that it's more like there's no window there at all, rather than the slightly fuzzy version one normally gets with them. I've attached the zip of the window, if you want to take a look at it.

Thanks

Kiri
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#45 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 1:18 AM
Kiri, you don't have to choose to menu option "Import DDS", but the one called "Build DXT": a small program will pop up letting you create the DDS starting from any image format.
Once you finish, *don't* cchoose "Update all sizes"; just commit and save.

As for your package, if you don't mind, I'll check it tomorrow: it's 2:30 here and I'm in bad need of some sleep!
Field Researcher
#46 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 1:30 AM
Of course I don't mind Numenor! You can take your time - I'm not in a hurry. (My suspicion is that it's another SimPE thing).

I'll try the Build DXT thing and let you know how I go.

Have a good snooze :D

Kiri
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#47 Old 1st Feb 2005 at 9:09 PM
Kiri, the "Function of Plate" window is strange... It has a different mesh from the other windows. So far, let's consider it not recolourable (or, at least, seems that it's impossible to *add* a glass texture: it is recolourable via the MATD only, as the standard glass).
Since you seem interested in windows, if you find other windows that look strange when you add a glass texture, let me know. Thank you.
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 3rd Feb 2005 at 3:02 AM
Default hello.....
hello :howdy: every body whats up?.......i've been read alot of the posts that all of u have put up about the broken glass for the windows........i would really like it if u could make some more and put them up for downlode because im working on a cool trashed house and it would look better with broken windows.....i would make my own but my pc is messing up so i cant downlode SimPE....if there are some that someone has put up for downlode will u post the link?.....thank you all u all rock!

P.S. sorry for waisting ur time if i did...........well byebye for now :wave:
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 3:59 AM Last edited by xbuttcheecksx : 16th Feb 2005 at 4:04 AM.
Im trying to make the stained glass windows from the show charmed, my problem is when after I pic the independent windows I get the option of selecting the overlay or border, either one I choose I dont get any options at all for the glass, just the overlay bars. And after that step I could get the LIFO option to pop up either, but Im sure and hoping that is because I cant find the glass itself. All I want to do is modify the actual glass and turn parts of it into stained glass, see through, and then change the border to white which Im sure I can figure out. Im a tad bit confused, thanks for any help

Oh and Im certain you may ask which version of SimPE it is that I am using, I just redownloaded it today, so Im guessing the newest one

Oh and this is extremley similar to what I want to do, I made these doors myself today, they are matching to the windows I want to make with the Indepent window...but I want the center to be see through, and the glass panels themselves b/c they are glass, im fine with the glass in the door not being transparent, for now I suppose.

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#50 Old 16th Feb 2005 at 8:35 AM
Every new version of SimPE changes something in the way Object Workshop works. When I wrote this tutorial, OW used to extract from the Independent window the crear glass (overlay), while now it extracts the bars, that are useless...

You can use the files archived in the attached zip.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Tutorial_Glass.zip (14.7 KB, 93 downloads) - View custom content

Page 2 of 6