Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#76 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 8:35 AM
Kiri, thanks for having answered: sometimes I completely miss the help requests even on my own threads

I've tried to re-mesh a window, but I guess that the MeshTool can't manage correctly the hole_material of the "wallmask" mesh (that is the mesh that actually creates the hole in the wall): every time, my window turns into a frame applied to the wall, no glass, no hole, just plain wall.
I tried to export and reimport the mesh without touching anything, and still the problem occurs.
So far, I guess, re-meshing windows is not possible: the screened porches have to wait!
Advertisement
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#77 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 9:09 AM
The same trouble applies in reverse to countertops. They do not cut anything... instead they are cut by the sinks. Trying to replace this mesh even by exporting and reimporting a maxis countertop breaks the mesh (it appears to explode when you put the sink in).

RG
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 7:44 PM
Default Doors and Windows
Quote:
I've tried to re-mesh a window, but I guess that the MeshTool can't manage correctly the hole_material of the "wallmask" mesh (that is the mesh that actually creates the hole in the wall): every time, my window turns into a frame applied to the wall, no glass, no hole, just plain wall.

Hi, Numenor
I thought the problem had something to do with the MeshTool as well. Then I cloned a door and without changing anything imported it into the game.
The door showed as a frame. It did not cut a hole in the wall.
So maybe the problem is not related to the MeshTool after all.
I have SimPE 0.33. I had SimPE 0.34 installed but it did not change the texture for the glass parts of the recolourable doors and windows so I
reinstalled the older version.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#79 Old 8th Apr 2005 at 10:46 PM
Thank you for your contribution. There is definitely something more that we have to learn about the wallmasks
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 10th Apr 2005 at 4:49 AM
Thanks for trying it out Numenor. Would there be anyway to trick it and just use a pic made up of tiny squares? ALmost like a stained glass window? *shrugs*
Test Subject
#81 Old 10th Apr 2005 at 7:46 AM
Thanks for giving it a go Numenor. I tried a Door as well, without changing anything. No luck as far cutting a hole in the wall goes, but I was surprised to see that the animation of the door still worked. I thought the meshtool was supposed to destroy animation.

ps: If anybody has built a new window or door mesh and cant see it in game due to the wallmask issue, go into BUILD MODE in TS2 and turn off show walls. (doesnt work in live or buy mode) You can see your windows/doors this way. Its obviously not a fix at all but you can at least check out you textures, UV's, and new mesh etc. Then they'll be ready to go when a real fix comes along.

Sorry if this is obvious, but just in case
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 15th Apr 2005 at 1:00 AM
Thanks! :D
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#83 Old 6th May 2005 at 2:15 PM
WONDERNOUNOU:
If you are reading this (and I hope so, since you PMed me about this tutorial), please post here the package that is creating problems.

And please check the "Enable private messaging" option in your Options panel, otherwise I can't send PMs to you!

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
#84 Old 7th May 2005 at 11:13 AM
Hi,

I'll try to send you the package (I've thaught to did it but don't know how,I'll try with the faq help...)

Read you latter...
Wondernounou.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Bureau.rar (81.8 KB, 22 downloads) - View custom content
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#85 Old 7th May 2005 at 11:42 AM
WONDERNOUNOU:
Seems that you have messed up a little with the hash numbers (the long numbers).

Anyway, I've read again my tutorial and I've found that, though it was correct, it might result quite confusing, in some points.
So, I've simplified it a little (the steps nn. 12 and 13 were removed, because with the new "Fix Integrity" of SimPE they are now useless).

Try again, and remember that now only one hash is needed: the Hash Generator should be called only once.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#86 Old 8th May 2005 at 3:03 PM
Default .
Thank's a lot to answer so quickly.

If I understand well, I have just a hash number witch has nothing to do at the end of the texture filename and material definition file name.
I'll try again without it and I'll come again on this thread to tell you the result.
Thank's for your precious help, it's kind of you helping everybody like you did.:baloons:
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 8th May 2005 at 7:07 PM
Default yes, yes, yes!
Hi,

I did it! :yippee:
I've done my first glass recolor and it's working.
I'll be eternaly gratefull :bow2: I have tried several times to have what I exactely wanted, but at last I have succeded.
Numenor, you are one of the best! Thanks, thanks, thanks.
I'm going to abuse a little: Can you tell me now, how can I use this recolor with others frames that the one of the tutorial file?
In my naivety, I thaught that the glass will appair with all the windows frames, I was sure of having read it in this thread... :gonemad:
I would be so proud of me if I'll can use it in a set I'm working on (and so, impressed my teen daughter :laugh: There is not so mutch things that a mother can do to impressed a tenn!!!!)
read you letter.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#88 Old 8th May 2005 at 10:37 PM
WONDERNOUNOU: I'm so happy that you succeeded!
In order to use the recolour package for other windows, it's not very simple but you can try (I'm sure you can work it out ).

1) Export the Material Definition and the Texture from the package you have created right now. IMPORTANT: when the "save as..." window opens up asking for a filename to save, append to the suggested filename ".simpe".
2) Create a recolour package for the new window: when SimPE asks you which subsets you want to recolour, look if there is one that refers to the glass (most of the window have a recolourable glass, anyway; if you are not given the choice to recolour the glass, your custom glass isn't appliable to that window).
3) When SimPE finishes creating the recolour package, select the Material Definition, copy its filename, then right-click on the Material Definition and choose "Replace"; select the Material Definition that you have previously extracted.
4) As soon as the new Material Definition has replaced the older one, select its filename and paste the filename that you have previously saved. Commit.
5) Now select the Texture (if there is one in the package: sometimes there are no textures) and delete it.
6) Select the menu "File / Add" and select the texture that you have extracted in step 1.
7) Last step (IMPORTANT): select the menu "Tools / Fix Integrity"; when the window opens up, select the texture (the one with the extension _txtr), click on it twice *slowly* and then edit the texture name, renaming in a new, unique way (be sure to keep the _txtr extension). When done, hit the Return key and finally click the "OK" button.

You're done! Save the package.
Lab Assistant
#89 Old 10th May 2005 at 2:31 PM
Default have to get courage!
Hello,

Whao! Yes you are right, it's not simple! :gonemad:
I have to work on that as soon as I can, I think it will be hard for :screwy: me but I'm very tenacious and even if I have to work hours and hours I want to try it. :wtf2:
If I succed, I will search how to send a vue in a thread and I will send it here, just to say: i's possible!!!
Numénor,Have I already say to you: THANK YOU VERY MUCH! :thumb: :clap:
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#90 Old 11th May 2005 at 8:11 AM Last edited by Numenor : 11th May 2005 at 8:18 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by JayAngel
Numenor, Firstly I want to thank you for your excellent tutorial - I am now making stained glass windows happily using the tutorial_glass file that you uploaded. I would like to use the different shaped Maxis windows but when I use Object Workshop to recolour they have no texture file and I don't know how to produce one.

The tutorial_glass package can be used for other windows (almost anyone but there can be some exceptions), but you have to modify the Material Override. Do this:

1) Clone the window you like, with all the cloning options unchecked
2) Examine all the Material Overrides, looking at the field "Subset": search for a subset that refers to the glass.
3) Export the chosen Material Override, then close SimPE without saving.
4) Open the tutorial_glass file and, first of all, *replace* the Material Override with the one you have previously exported.
3) Now select the newly imported MMAT and change the "defaultMaterial" parameter to zero (= false)
4) In the "name" field, write ##0x1c050000!windowloftdoublehung_overlay_clear
5) Commit and save.
6) Now you can follow the tutorial using your modified package, instead of the original tutorial_glass one.

Test Subject
#91 Old 11th May 2005 at 3:45 PM
Thank you, Numenor, you are so kind and generous with your time. I shall have a go immediately :jig:

You're very welcome to visit my Sims sites
After Midnight Sims
After Midnight Sims 2
If the apocalypse comes, beep me
Test Subject
#92 Old 11th May 2005 at 6:01 PM
Numenor, that worked absolutely fine with changing the type of window. I've done a quick test on the showcase shop window and the only problem is that it is appearing dark and dull. I have a pic here of the larger window and using the same image on the original tutorial file.

Is it possible you can tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Screenshots

After Midnight Sims
After Midnight Sims 2
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#93 Old 11th May 2005 at 8:01 PM
Mmmmh, odd... The "brightness" is usually set in the Material Definition, and tha MATD should be the same for both windows (you changed only the Material Override).

Check both Material Definition and look at the values for the parameter "stdMatDiffCoeff": they should be identical, but if not, edit the one in the larger window and set it to the same value of the smaller window.

If this doesn't solve the problem, please post here both packages, so that I can take a look at them.
Lab Assistant
#94 Old 11th May 2005 at 8:56 PM
hi Numenor,
I'm afraid that I have to disturb you another time...
I just don't know how to export the material definition. I feel very stupid but I've got a look everywhere around the "page" I was when I selected material definition and don't understand how to do. (with the texture it's so simple just right click...)

If I have well understood, I have choice to put my new glass recolor in a different window by the way you explain to me, or choose a new window and then change the glass color like you explain to JayAngel. What is the more simple? However I think I don't know how export material override too...
Can you instruct me another time?
Sorry, and thanks.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#95 Old 11th May 2005 at 9:31 PM
The two methods are basically the same: two ways to reach the same goal. But the method I explained for JayAngel is more "flexible", and maybe it's preferable.
To export a Material Override (or a Material Definition), you have to select the file in the upper part of the window, right-click on it and select "extract".
Test Subject
#96 Old 11th May 2005 at 9:36 PM
The values appear to be the same so it must be something I've done incorrectly. Sorry to give you this trouble. I tried to attach the files for when you have time to look at them, but uploading doesn't seem to work at the moment. I'll try again tomorrow. Thank you very much :fallen:

After Midnight Sims
After Midnight Sims 2
Test Subject
#97 Old 12th May 2005 at 5:30 PM Last edited by JayAngel : 13th May 2005 at 7:51 AM.
I'm having another attempt at uploading the files. I expect I've just done something horribly wrong, but I'd appreciate it if you could have a look at them

After Midnight Sims
After Midnight Sims 2
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#98 Old 12th May 2005 at 8:59 PM Last edited by Numenor : 12th May 2005 at 9:02 PM.
JayAngel, the Alpha channel in the Library window somehow got lost. You have encoded it selecting the DXT1 mode, that doesn't allow alpha channels. Do you use the DDS utilities? Then try and "Build DXT" again, but this time select the DXT3 mode.

If you want to check if the alpha was correctly encoded, just look at the texture in SimPE: if the transparency is correct, you'll see a light chequered pattern under your texture; if you see only solid colors, then the Alpha is missing.

Note: if you encode the texture with DXT3 and still the alpha is missing, then the problem is in the texture (the .png file): check it.

Test Subject
#99 Old 13th May 2005 at 7:50 AM
Thank you so much for your kind help :salute:

After Midnight Sims
After Midnight Sims 2
Lab Assistant
#100 Old 14th May 2005 at 9:51 AM
Hi Numenor! :howdy:

I have try yesterday evening to recolor the glass of the window that I wanted.
I have choose the way you explain to JayAngel and, like in dream, it takes me a very few time to did it and it works perfectly. :yippee: :buddies:
People like you are really providential for people like me! I felt so alone and lost with my problem before I post you my first thread. :lonely:
I'll try to put a pic if I can, it's not a very spectacular transformation, but it's exactly what I wanted to do.
I have begin to try a recolor with stained glass, I'm not very satisfied with it, and for the moment cant' put it on the window I want. If it work's for one it have to works for others so I will try and try again. :rage:
My husband say that as soon as I success in one thing, I want to go further and then I failed and then I disturb Numenor again... He think that you are great.
Page 4 of 6