Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Oct 2010 at 11:15 PM
Very confused about flattening bump maps!
This is my first time creating clothes for TS3, but I've dabbled in it for TS2 in the past. The tutorials have helped me wonderfully so far.

I decided to start out small and just recolor an existing Maxis mesh. I chose the tight halter dress for young adults and adults located in formalwear. I managed to re-texture the dress, changing the top from a halter to a bra top, cutting out the middle to make it a two-piece, and adding buttons to the back. Great! The only thing is, the slight shadow of the halter and the corset at the back is still showing.

Here's a picture of what it currently looks like in CTU with arrows pointing to the problems:

Keep in mind that I haven't changed the color yet (that's the next step).

After harassing Google and roaming the message boards, I've discovered that these shadows are not part of the texture at all-- they come with the mesh! Apparently they're called bump maps and the only way to get rid of them is by going through a complicated process involving Postal and MilkShape3D.

I have both Postal and MilkShape3D installed (just in case I want to try my luck at creating meshes) but I'm extremely noob at using them. It seems that the majority of creator queries on the message boards are asked by people who generally know what they're doing. I've found some things explaining what to do, but I need information on how to do it.

Specifically, I need information on how to flatten a bump map in terms a toddler could understand. It would be much appreaciated! :D
Advertisement
Mother Function
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Oct 2010 at 12:07 AM
I made a video tutorial that shows you how to remove bumpmaps! It has step by step information :D

http://thesimsupply.com/showthread.php?tid=244

No postal or S3PE needed :p

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Oct 2010 at 1:21 AM
Thanks so much! This was a lot easier than I thought it would be. :D
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#4 Old 13th Oct 2010 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daluved1
I made a video tutorial that shows you how to remove bumpmaps! It has step by step information :D

http://thesimsupply.com/showthread.php?tid=244

No postal or S3PE needed :p

Great tutorial! I wish I'd seen it before spending hours last week figuring out how to do this!

I could give pointers on how to make a blank bump map in GIMP if needed.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#5 Old 13th Oct 2010 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CmarNYC
Great tutorial! I wish I'd seen it before spending hours last week figuring out how to do this!

I could give pointers on how to make a blank bump map in GIMP if needed.

Gimp tutorials are ALWAYS needed. :D

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"