Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#126 Old 14th Mar 2012 at 8:51 PM
Phaenoh... It was post 15 The "foundation itself must remain the same shape, size and must remain foundation." So sadly, no decking, but you could use a wood-like wall covering on your decking for a similar effect!

Like this post? You'll love my Tumblr! 😉
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#127 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 1:52 AM
Round 2 - The Barkworth Family
Dear god, did these sims ever test me. First thing that happened when I loaded the lot to take pics? It rained. Then a tree got struck by lightning and caught fire. Then the living room rug caught fire. Then Porthos found a lovely place to sleep which coincidentally completely blocked off access to the garden - this inbetween destroying the sofa and digging holes in my very carefully terrain painted veggie plot. Bloody dog.

Anyway! *ahem*

Mike and Meadow Barkworth, their children having long since flown the coop, are living their version of the dream. Their cosy lodge, isolated in the middle of the forest, is absolutely idyllic. Surrounded by nature in all its forms, from morning birdsong to midnight silence punctuated only by the sound of owls; from bats scaring the living daylights out of the dog (artistic license #6014941), to the former trees these nature-lovers have loved into their living room wall: Mike and Meadow have it all.

The interior of the house is warm, of course: from the spacious living room, complete with reading corner and Meadow's sewing machine and fabrics, to the small but functional bathroom, to the luscious bedroom: more of those well-loved former trees are all around. Aww. The kitchen, on the other hand, retains the original theraputic toe-cooling features, particularly in the small but sunny breakfast area.

Don't worry about that quilt under the dog's basket. If he loves it enough to pull it off the wall and use it as a towel, he might as well keep it.

The modest breakfast area, however, is of little concern to Mike and Meadow, who much prefer to eat outside on the deck.

The rest of the garden is no less Mike and Meadow's pride and joy. With plenty of space, a vegetable plot to aid in trapping wild rabbits, a much-used campfire spot, and both a warm pool and a sauna on the deck, to unwind the hiking muscles in in the evenings; the great outdoors really is bloody great for these two.

On those occasions when it really is brass monkeys out there (and that's not something the Barkworths admit to often), the living room provides more than adequate shelter and comfort. The high ceilings create a feelng of grandeur, while the roaring fire keeps things cosy and intimate, and the sleeping dog keeps them punctuated by wet snores.

The bedroom is equally delicious, with its own small stove, rich colours, photographs taken by Mike and Meadow on their hiking trips n the wall - and a door to the garden, so Mike will stop falling over things in the kitchen when embarking on the occasional sleep-hike.

The bathroom, surprise surprise, is simple, functional, and in keeping with the style of the house. It even has decorations and flowers, all in one picture frame! Score!

And finally, the kitchen, centre of the home. Meadow always wanted an AGA; well, this is close enough - and it has more shelves, and doesn't cause the water to come boiling out of the taps when someone forgets to turn it off (and you can't get spares for them anywhere any more...). With the fire burning and tomato-fed rabbit in the oven, this room might just be the warmest and most wonderful-smelling room anywhere - so long as you're wearing fuzzy slippers.

Well hell, in the course of making this house I've learnt to recolour rugs, doors, and windows, and to make walls - not bad, hey!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
#128 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 6:07 AM
Dangnabbit! Now I needs me some Thumper pie, and rabbit season ends Saturday; with no chance of me getting out of work this weekend. Phooey!

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.
Top Secret Researcher
#129 Old 15th Mar 2012 at 3:00 PM Last edited by Riptide651 : 15th Mar 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Dear National Historic Society,

Here are the main aspects of my home you wanted me to illustrate, because well... I live in a refurbished factory building. The outside I renovated and turned into my highly prized, slightly messy Sculpture Garden.

The back of the house was left as it was with only a bit of restoration and landscaping added for looks.

The entire house is very artsy studded with tons of artwork by my favorite artists, including a few works by Rodney White which were gifts from a close friend.The First floor contains the entryway, the library/Living Area, the dining area, the kitchen and the Art Studio.

The Second story is just the bedroom and my private bathroom, both of which are very modern and accented with books and magazines.

The main entryway is adorned with classic Broadway neons and ornate chairs contrasting from the modern hanging staircase and end tables (Fun Fact: The Spiral Staircase is floating above the ground hung from steel cables all around.) I hand-painted the staircase with a plaid print during the remodeling.

The kitchen is dominate by hues of yellow and blue, and contrasted by the transparent glass along the counters and the fridge. The bar stools are by BBR Furnishings and are custom upholstered.

The workshop is adorned (albeit slightly messily) with empty canvases, photos and bottles of paint and wine (What, an artist can't drink?) The centerpiece is a wooden draft table, which softens under the touch of a pen, much like a thick stack of paper.

The bedroom is very modern and very minimalistic. It features a low slung bed and modern colonial end tables which house the first editions that didn't fir in my library.

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Test Subject
#130 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 1:17 AM
I'm afraid I have to drop out. The fan of my simming laptop died yesterday and it'll take a few weeks to get it repaired.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#131 Old 16th Mar 2012 at 2:07 AM
Yenkas... that's a shame! Sorry to hear about your laptop! Hope it gets fixed soon!

Inconceivable!
#132 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 5:12 AM
Since we're discussing our trials and tribulations with this round, I thought I'd share my experience. Before I took my screenshots, I had Rain outside painting for a while so I could get some nice artwork to hang around the house. All of a sudden I get that little red popup- "It's gotten dark outside" (or whatever it says). It's been ages since I've had the meteor event, if I ever even had one at all, so what do I do? I panic of course, and the poor woman gets crushed like a meatball sandwich. Not only that, but half the house catches on fire while the fireman stands around stomping his feet and whining about routing problems (the meteor was in his way apparently...).

Thank heaven for twallan's saver mod, or I'd be a whole lot more upset right now. I do feel bad about Rain's rather gruesome end though. Perhaps next time I shouldn't send her to stand directly under the ominous looking shadow...

The Montenegro Family:

Rain Montenegro may not be as young as your typical up-and-coming artist, but age has never slowed her down before. Tired of the same old 9 to 5 grind, Rain decided a couple years back to quit her job, sell her house, and follow her childhood dream of becoming a painter. Once she sold her apartment in the city, the feisty senior packed her bags and moved to a charming little home in the countryside surrounding Riverview. While a farmhouse was not first on her list of desirable homes, she needed a place that had enough space to accommodate her art equipment, and in her budget that meant looking outside of town.

Two years later, she is as content as can be. She finds the laid back lifestyle much more conducive to creating those ever elusive masterpieces, and she loves having so much outdoor space. On clear days, she can even take her brushes onto the deck out back and paint in the fresh country air.

The Exterior:

Seemingly quite large on the outside, Rain was surprised by how much square footage her money got her a bit further from town.

First Floor Layout:

The open floor plan offers plenty of elbow room when Rain's friends drop by for a visit, and the separate entry way adds a nice touch of formality whenever clients stop in to look at her work.

Living Room:

When Rain first moved in, the house needed a bit of work. While a complete remodel was simply not in her budget, she quickly learned that a touch of paint can do wonders for a dreary room. The mural was a labor of love for Rain and provided a dramatic way to display her talent to potential buyers.

Kitchen:

She likes to keep things neat and tidy... at least in public areas.

The Bedroom:

Rain painted another mural over the bed in her bedroom, but this one is a more private indulgence.

Second Floor Layout:

The second floor is accessed by a spiral staircase in the living room. It is a loft-like space that overlooks the kitchen and dining area below. Rain absolutely adores all the windows.

Studio:

She spends the majority of her time up here in the art studio. It's not quite as neat as the rest of the house, but she does her best.

Backyard:

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#133 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 1:06 PM Last edited by wgroome : 17th Mar 2012 at 7:33 PM.
Just a reminder that Round 2 will close on Wednesday 21st March... We're still 14 entries short at the moment, but I'm sure the weekend will provide us with loads of amazing entries! If you think you're not going to be able to submit an entry by Wednesday, please PM me to let me know/ask for an extension! You've still got a few days, though, so let's see some entries, people!

Instructor
#134 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 6:04 PM
Round 3 - The Lewis Family

For the Lewis family I have built a 5 bedroom (1 room is used as an office), 3.5 bathrooms, house with a 3 car driveway, large backyard, and a bonus room.

The first floor has a formal living room, dining room, and gourmet kitchen, with white tile floors. There is a half bathroom for guests right off of the kitchen. The master suite is also downstairs with an ensuite 4-piece bathroom. And a back patio leads out to the backyard with a paved sidewalk looping back to the driveway.

The second floor has 4 bedrooms and 2 jack-&-jill bathrooms. Leanne and Lorrie share one bathroom, while Lara has a bathroom on her own that she only shares with the office. Lucinda is a lawyer and she tends to get ready for her cases in the office.

Downstairs is formal. Layton, being a college professor, and Lucinda, being a lawyer, have dinner parties with their colleagues at times and this is the perfect place to do it. Lucinda loves the pristine black, white, gray look of the furniture in this area, but she also loves the bold red staircase.

Leanne has a wall full of books and movies. Originally her parents thought the room may be too small, but she loves it, all she does is read anyway.

Lara loves the color blue. She's also an athlete who dabbles in all sports, she's a fan of several famous sports stars and she hangs their posters on her wall.

Lorrie aspires to play or sing classical music in the largest Opera houses in SimCity. She also loves stained glass and the color green.

There's a bonus room in the Lewis family house upstairs. The family can be relaxed and listen to Lorrie sing, or Leanne recite poetry, or they can watch the highlights from Lara's last game on tv.
Top Secret Researcher
#135 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 6:11 PM
Wait... isn't Round 2 closing the 21st? Just Checking, probably a typo

BTW, lovely houses.

Why did I move here? I guess it was the weather.

GTA V
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#136 Old 17th Mar 2012 at 7:36 PM
Riptide651... yes, it was a typo. I, of course, meant Round 2! And I completely agree... we are being spoiled with all these lovely houses!

Alchemist
#137 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 2:34 AM
Default Rain Montenegro's Little Green Cottage
Rain, who loves green and green things, but can only afford base game prices, chose this house for its many windows which let in plenty of light for her painting, and also for its grassy yard with plenty of settings for her portraits.

While Rain paints wherever she happens to be, her favorite place is her hexagon room which she uses as her main studio.

She paints flattering portraits of all her friends and neighbors, but her favorite subject is her little gnome because he stays still for hours without complaining.

The dining room and kitchen are a large space with an artist's corner where Rain paints when she wants to be close to snacks.

The first floor includes living, dining, kitchen, guest bath, and art studio.

The second floor includes Rain's bedroom with painting corner and private bathroom.

Rain is hopeful that one day her gnome portraits will be world famous. Perhaps Mod the Sims will help!
Scholar
#138 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 3:36 AM
Default Round 2 - LEWIS
Whoops! Good thing I checked the site yesterday - I'd totally forgotten that Round 2 closes soon!

So, for Round 2 I chose the Lewis family. For this family, I sort of got the impression of them being a hectic, busy household where people are basically tripping over each other in daily life (sort of like life in MY house these days! ).

So, this house is a two-story home with four bedrooms, two bathrooms, and (quite frankly) not quite enough space. Of course, any house with three teenage sisters never seems to have enough space!

On the main floor, we have the kitchen, living-dining room (Lucinda discovered - to her dismay - upon arriving that she had overestimated how much space there was for her dining set), the foyer and the master suite.

While most of the house was redone when they first moved in, the kitchen hasn't yet been updated to the bright colours that Lucinda prefers in her decor. (Next promotion that Layton gets, that's where the money's going!)

On the second floor, the triplets have their bedrooms and the second bathroom. Leanne's room is conveniently located next to the balcony, so that she can read outside on a warm, sunny day! Lorrie was sent to the room on the opposite side of the house, since she spends a lot of time practicing her voice and violin, and it really bugs her sisters (Lara and Leanne both informed her of this the first day in their new home).

For Layton and Lucinda, they chose a neutral, soft colour scheme to give both a little reprieve from the noise and chaos that come along with three teenage daughters. While the room is minimalist at the moment, Lucinda would love to be able to rearrange to get a small sitting area.

For Lara, she chose a dark blue and gold colour scheme to match her school team colours (the Pleasantview Fightin' Llamas), with last year's divisional championship trophy placed right inside the doorway, so that you can't possibly miss it. Today, her room is reasonably tidy - only her baseball equipment is on the floor!

For Lorrie, she wanted a warmer colour scheme to reflect the rich tones of the elite Tennant Academy - a school for musical prodigies in SimNation, and the school she hopes to attend for her senior year. She practices her violin and voice in preparation for the entrance exams (24 hours a day, according to her sisters). When she's composing, Lorrie prefers to sit on her floor.

And as for Leanne, she wanted a kaleidoscope of bright colours. With her favourite egg chair tucked away in a corner, it offers her the perfect escape on a dreary day.

Not going to lie... I'm a little in love with Leanne's room. I want it in real life so badly.
Lab Assistant
#139 Old 18th Mar 2012 at 10:37 PM
Default Hencing - Round 2 (Lewis)
I chose the Lewis family for this round, going with a bright double-fronted building, complete with four bedrooms, two bathrooms (one of which being an en suite), living room, kitchen/diner, and a study/snug.

The House

The Floorplans

The Interior

May the force be with you because you're worth it
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#140 Old 19th Mar 2012 at 3:15 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 2nd Apr 2012 at 2:01 PM.
I also elected to do the Lewis family. Either I'm way off base with the names or I just suck at making people. The Lewis family ended up being the O'Donnel family in my game. Patrick, Brighid, Lara, Leanne, and Lorrie moved into an old Irish manor. (I was making Layton and somehow he became a leprechaun, so I made the family Irish from there.) (apologies to any actual Irish out there, this is way stereotypical).

The house has a long history, it was built many many years back before the roads through town were drawn up. What is now the side of the house used to originally be the front. There was a large garden and doors to both main areas of the house. When the town got bigger and expanded outward, the road ended up on the side of the house. The front porch was redone to accommodate the new entrance direction and a driveway was put in. Many of the original details in the house still exist - like the wood floors, bathroom tiles and much of the fixtures from the copper kitchen, though it was moved from what is now the dining room. The stone annex was less of a fire hazard. A good deal of the house has been renovated as well. Its an odd mix of old and new, and the O'Donnels think it's just perfect for them.

The kitchen and the living room are just the right size for the family to come together and enjoy their favorite activities without tripping over one another.

When the girls want to be alone, however, they each have an identically sized bedroom to partake in their hobbies. Lara is a ballet dancer. She has a barre and a mirror and she's also a bit of a girly girl. She loves pink and has crushes on all the celebrities.

Leanne loves Shakespeare and anything from the Olde World. She also has taking up acting and lives in a fantasy land. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, she has her head in the clouds.

Lorrie is quite the violin virtuoso. She regularly performs in concerts at school and sits First Chair. She's not just interested in Classical though, she also has a sweet stereo system to listen to the College Rock and Pop stations.

Just your typical family of redheads! The house is available for download now!
Field Researcher
#141 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 5:45 AM
Default Lewis' Lark: Round 2 foundation
"The Lewis Family - When Layton and Lucinda found out they were expecting it was the greatest day of their lives. When they found out they were having triplets? Not so much. Now their three daughters (athletic Lara, bookwork Leanne and musician Lorrie) are all teenagers, they are demanding their own rooms. Layton and Lucinda are happy to move, but want a large master bedroom and their own en-suite bathroom."

The Lewis' bought the house before the triplets became teens, and have upgraded it a little at a time over the years. They chose well:the stone and wood construction lends an air or solidity, while the beautifully colorful landscaping softens the hardscape:

Overview, top floor: the girls' rooms, and a shared bathroom that also doubles as the laundry:

Overview, main floor: living/dining/kitchen, master suite with en-suite bathroom, half bath:

Master bedroom suite; there's actually a balcony beyond the doors you see here. The room itself is cozy and relaxing; large windows also contribute a lot of natural light and give a sense of space:

A peek into the master bathroom; designed to be a bit of a wake me up, it's large enough to feel comfortable and inviting:

Lorrie's room; there's actually a nook where she's got a drum set as well, papered with posters of some of her favorite artists (not shown here):

Leanne's room; plenty of bookshelves, a comfy chair, even the carpet invites a young girl to make herself comfortable and curl up with a book:

Lara's room; she's pretty serious about her athleticism, clearly. Behind "us", there's a whole mirrored wall that allows her to watch herself as she does yoga or calisthenics:

Lab Assistant
#142 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 2:55 PM
Default Round 3 Montenegro Family
This house was an interesting build. I generally like to have two story homes, but thought since it was supposed to be only one person, one story would be perfect.

I ran the household in test play for awhile to be sure everything was accessible. Rain had other ideas about her single life. The unexpected joys of the ACR mod. (You'll see the man in the shot again in Round 4 as he is Mike Barkworth.)

The front door is there, it's just blocked open by the boxes. It looks like moving day. Rain almost has to move since she gave birth to Mike's twins. Such a mess my neighborhood has become....

I've maintained Rain's love of green to an extreme in all her decor. Her furniture is relatively cheap stuff and yet fairly bright in color.

At this point, I can't wait to see how the Barkworths deal with the events once their house is built....right next door.
Field Researcher
#143 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 6:23 PM
Round 2 - Tyler Gravel

Tyler Gravel likes sport. And girls. And parties. Basically Tyler likes anything that makes him happy; he is an egocentric pleasure-seeker.

On the ground floor of his modern home there is a spacious open plan living and dining area, with pleanty of room for entertaining.

Towards the front of the house there is a living room. Tyler wanted to make it small and cozy; the perfect place to snuggle up with a date. However, the addition of a flat screen TV kind of ruined this idea...

Also downstairs there are doors out onto the garden, a small bathroom, and Tyler's home gym.

Outside there is a large pool and patio area, perfect for parties on hot summers days, and a basketball court, complete with bleachers, where the rising basketball player can show off and impress the ladies.

On the first floor there are two bedrooms, both ensuite.

The guest room is decorated in pastel greens, fitting for his parents, brother, or old school friends. Tyler's bedroom contrasts the white of the furniture, carpet and three walls with the striking red wall, a pattern of decour which Tyler hopes will impress the ladies.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#144 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 6:29 PM
Natteryak... I'm going to allow your Round 2 entry, but please try and keep the requirements I posted when the scores for Round 1 were announced. You can find them here.

Test Subject
#145 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 7:44 PM
I missed the first round. Can I still join?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#146 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 8:02 PM
MegaMuntant... No, sorry!

Test Subject
#147 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 8:42 PM
Ok. Hopefully this contest runs again soon.
Field Researcher
#148 Old 21st Mar 2012 at 12:29 AM
Just noting I'm dropping from contest, wound up with too much on plate, sorry! Everyone's entries look stellar, shall be watching from sidelines with pompoms!
Lab Assistant
#149 Old 21st Mar 2012 at 12:58 AM
Round 2 - The Lewis Family

Exterior.

Downstairs living room.

Master bedroom.

Leanne's room.

Lorrie's room.

Lara's room.

First floor.

Second floor.
Scholar
#150 Old 21st Mar 2012 at 1:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by wgroome
Natteryak... I'm going to allow your Round 2 entry, but please try and keep the requirements I posted when the scores for Round 1 were announced. You can find them here.

I think you mean Rosebud1773, don't you?

Sarcasm is a body's natural defense against stupid.

Page 6 of 11