Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#51 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 12:56 AM
I dont really like the hairstyle,the brows and the beard on Daniel...
I would recommend something else
Otherwise they look great!

Check my tumblr:
http://eliasctifler.tumblr.com/
:)
Advertisement
Scholar
#52 Old 6th Mar 2010 at 6:50 AM
The twins' noses could be a bit wider - especially at the bridge. Eyes need to be a little farther apart to accomodate that. Daniel looks very good. The outer edges of his mouth need to turn down a little more. I think the outer corners of Mary Sue's eyes need to come down a bit. She needs a little more "indent" of the nasal bridge and her cheekbones lowered. Can you raise Mary Sue's eyebrows or lower her eyes a little? She looks very worried/sad. Excellent work!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#53 Old 7th Mar 2010 at 1:52 AM
Hraklis: Yeah I know, there are pretty much NO good facial hair options for Daniel, and that hair style was the closest I could get without looking even stupider. If someone could just convert all of the TS2 base game hairstyles, then that'd be perfect (and I looked into trying it myself and I got lost and confused almost immediately). But until then, I have to settle for what I have. I figure for now its best to just use TS3 base-game stuff with no custom content, so that way in the end its not like "To use these files you need to also have this-and-this-and-this-and-so-on" when its just custom characters.

SimmyRN: I'll work on them more. Mary-Sue and her eyes/brows definitely, but probably not the twins so much. I want them to look accurate, but I want to also make sure they continue to look good as they age, and also hope their genetics aren't messed up from all the tweaking, resulting in funny looking offspring as they get older and players marry them off and breed them. I will work on them though, I just want to be careful.
Field Researcher
#54 Old 25th Mar 2010 at 11:09 PM
Well done on the daugthers they look brilliant , wish i could work CAW just soo complicated looking lol i;ll tackle it wone day.. anyway one thing i would point out your terrain on the mountainslook really patchy is there a reason ?
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 27th Mar 2010 at 2:08 AM
How's it going on the Pleasantview remake?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#56 Old 28th Mar 2010 at 9:44 PM
Melanise: Yes, there's a reason the terrain looks patchy: I'm a terrible terrain-painter.

Erinmblair: I don't know about Hraklis' version, but mine hasn't really made much progress lately. I will get back to it, but right now I've been doing other things. I've been really busy with finding jobs (its a lot harder than The Sims makes it out to be), and keeping in touch with my social life, like seeing my friends, playing Dungeons and Dragons, and Belegarth (a medieval style fighting sport thing). Also, I'll admit that World of Warcraft is also taking up a lot of time.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#57 Old 31st May 2010 at 10:28 AM
Well, after several months of not having the drive to work on this (and WoW wasn't exactly helping), I've finally got myself back on the project.

First thing I did was re-paint the terrain. In my opinion it still looks terrible, but it's not as patchy as it previously was. After that, I started work on making the lots all my own. Previously I was using Hraklis' remade lots, but then Hraklis said he didn't want anyone using his lots in their own releases, so I'm taking the time to remove all of Hraklis' lots and remake them from scratch, using only the original TS2 lots as reference. However I'm using the same lot sizes as Hraklis, because for one, most of them are just the right size for the remakes, and secondly because if we both use the same lot sizes then that way if a player prefers one guy's town, but the other guy's lots, they can be easily switched out. I don't think there's any problem with that, is there?

Thankfully, my computer is fast enough to run both TS2 and TS3 at the same time, so I can easily switch between the two games, looking at TS2 for reference, and switching back to TS3 to build.

However I still don't have World Adventures, so I still can't add a bridge across the water. If I finish my project before I ever get World Adventures (or any expansion that allows a bridge in CaW), then I'll just release it without the bridge, and the science center will be located closer to town. Shouldn't hurt too much, since technically that area in the original was unplayable without camera mods anyway.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#58 Old 2nd Jun 2010 at 11:15 PM
Update:
(All compass directions assume that Main Street goes east and west, and the beach is to the south)

-Rebuilt all Sims 2 lots on the north side of Main Street. Now all lots on this side of town have been built by myself.
--330 and 290 Main Street (the clothing shop, and grocer/game/magazine shops, respectively) are now a bar and a rec center (inspired by Hraklis' changes but still rebuilt from scratch) due to the facts that clothes shopping is nonexistent and buying other goods such as groceries are relegated to rabbit holes.
-- Although I plan to make all of my lots compatible with those made by Hraklis (as in, they take up the same lot space and can be switched out), the clothes shop-turned-bar 330 Main Street will be its original size, and thus won't be interchangeable with Hraklis' version. This is only because I can't think of a good way to 'compress' the lot down without removing the parking lot or shortening other features too much.
--Added lot descriptions to the community lots on the north side of Main Street, both original and new. Some descriptions have been modified to be consistent with modifications to the lots.
-Moved the science center from the 'island' in the southeast to right beside the water tower on Woodland Drive. This is until I can buy an expansion that adds a bridge in CaW. Until then, the land across the water is inaccessible.

I'll get back to character re-creation as soon as I'm done re-building the lots.
Test Subject
#59 Old 5th Jun 2010 at 4:25 PM
Heya Baron, thanks for the update! I'm glad you're again working on this project, and I'm looking forward to its release!

Keep up the great work, and I support your efforts 100%!

Lab Assistant
#60 Old 15th Jun 2010 at 11:56 PM
Thanks for the update! I am looking forward to this. Do you have any updated pics?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#61 Old 18th Jun 2010 at 8:22 AM
Not at the moment, no. But next time I boot it up I'll get a few screenshots taken.

I'm almost completely finished replacing Hraklis' lots with my own remade lots, and I'm dabbling in character re-creation along the way. I've made the Brokes, and the Dreamers, and a couple of NPC's, those being Goopy GilsCarbo and Meadow Thayer. Not quite sure about their accuracy though, any of them.
Test Subject
#62 Old 25th Jul 2010 at 9:25 PM
Hey Baron,

Any news or updates on your work for Pleasantview? I hope it's coming along nicely.

Cheers!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#63 Old 1st Aug 2010 at 6:48 PM
Actually once again I don't have any updates. I started school not too long ago, so that's been taking up all of my time to work on the project. If I recall I only had one house left to rebuild out of Hraklis' lots which I'd been using as placeholders.

I also still don't have any expansion packs yet either, so I can't put a bridge up across that gap still.
Test Subject
#64 Old 7th Aug 2010 at 5:26 PM
Thanks for the update Baron. I sure do appreciate hearing what's going on. Best of luck with you in school and I hope you are able to finish up the last home. You can release w/o the bridge if you like. I think those of us that do have the EPs could add something in. But that's entirely up to you of course.

Cheers!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#65 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 1:46 AM
As all good things must come to end, so must other things begin anew.

In other words, my World of Warcraft subscription is going to expire this month since i don't have the money to afford more time, so that means I'll likely be able to get back into working on Pleasantview again.

But it'll still be a little bit before I do. Just thought I'd let you guys know that progress may start up again soon.

In the meantime I only just now discovered the existence of the official Create-A-Pattern tool (discovering useful Sims tools later than release seems to be a trend for me), so I may play with that a little bit, too. If I knew how to extract the textures from the Sims 2 basegame walls and floors, I would definitely look into importing them for the Pleasantview remake. Unless someone's already done that, in which case I want to be pointed in the right direction for usage.
Scholar
#66 Old 2nd Sep 2010 at 6:06 AM
There are a few Sims 2 walls converted to Sims 3 here: http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=399431, here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=355697, and here: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=351965, but I don't know if they are any of the ones you are looking for? Some siding here: http://awesims.sixty-ten.net/2009/0...ing-for-sims-3/. That's all I found in a quick search. Hope they help!
Field Researcher
#67 Old 16th Sep 2010 at 10:01 AM
Lol Baron your not serious hun, seems you found more time for world of warcraft than anything else, Just dont keep updating if your not actually working on anything? dont take this the wrong way its just if you know you dont intend on continuing the project then let everyone know for certain.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#68 Old 21st Sep 2010 at 5:07 AM
I actually do intend to work on it. I meant to get to work on it, but school is getting in the way, as well as this seasonal job I have working as a scare actor at a local haunted house. My work schedule has been finalized, and I don't have a lot of time right now, not until the end of October, sadly. I'm sorry I forgot to mention this before.

Again I'm very sorry for the lack of real updates, but I'll get to it when I can. But right now, my life outside the simulated variety is kinda more important right now. But when I have a real content update, I promise I'll post about it here. Not canceling the project, just... I have priorities, and a video game isn't a very big one.
Test Subject
#69 Old 30th Sep 2010 at 1:45 AM
Hey folks!
I just wanted to ask if there's any possibility to join this collaboration?
I, for myself, am terribly unskilled, concerning things like mapping with CaW.
The thing is, my boyfriend is pretty awesome in creating incredible projects. He just sees something, deals with it for less than two minutes and is immediately close to the subject.
He also dealt with the CaW and screenshots of the Sims2 Pleasantview town, which I always told, is the best neighborhood ever created in the sim-universe, so he started working on creating a map.
And wow, he was just incredibly fast by doing this, in less than 5 hours he managed to create at least a setup which looked a lot like the sims2 pleasantview.
And now, after 12 hours working on the neighborhood (and using Hraklis' buildings) we're kinda proud to present our "beta" - version of Pleasantview recreation.
Here are the first screenshots, after putting some decorations into the hood.

Overview:
Island/Bridge:
City:
Business Area:
Beach:
Hills:

I'm not quite sure about the final placement of the business area, but for now it seemed to be the best decision...^^'

The kids of tommorrow don't need today,
when they live in the sins of yesterday...
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#70 Old 30th Sep 2010 at 11:15 AM
Wow, that does look really good. I'll point out though that Hraklis' houses are off-limits to other modders, at least last I checked. In mine I used Hraklis' lots as placeholders, but they're now all replaced with ones that i rebuilt myself. I had The Sims 2 running in the background for lot reference while I built my TS3 counterparts.

Again, those screenshots DO look really good. The terrain is much better shaped and painted than mine, and seems a whole lot more true to the original. On the contrary though, mine is overall larger, and a bit personalized and updated. We both have our strong points here.

Collaboration sounds like a good idea, i don't think I'll ever finish mine all by myself. The only issue is I currently don't own any expansion packs (can't afford 'em, but at least it means something made in base-game is compatible with everything), so that may present a problem involving compatibility.
Test Subject
#71 Old 30th Sep 2010 at 3:10 PM
Mhm, I agree with you, your creation is a lot larger (I guess you chose the large landscape~).
The thing is, concerning the "originality" of the town layout, what do the people want?
Do they really want the original Pleasantview, or do they want a pleasantview more customized ?
Because I would know like...at least 20 people who desire a pleasantview, as close to the sims 2 version as possible. But yeah, we both really got our strong points *gg*

And I've got a short question: What do you mean with "Hraklis' houses are off-limits to other modders" o.O? I somehow don't get it..
Are some of the houses not base-game compatible, or what?

Of course, our version isn't really finished yet. There's still a lot of decoration missing (street lights, terrain painting, city signs, sidewalks etc.). I'm working on that right now.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#72 Old 30th Sep 2010 at 10:01 PM
Meaning Hraklis doesn't give permission to use his lots in your own release. That's why his lots won't be present in my version of Pleasantview if/when I release it. They were only placeholders until I rebuilt the lots myself.

As for what the people want, if we go by this thread, I got some pretty good feedback on some of the new, added content such as the extra small parks and the squiggly sidewalks between houses. So my guess is new content will be welcomed for the most part. But it may be a good idea to have multiple versions of Pleasantview available to the community so you can pick and choose what you want. For players who want something as close to the original as possible, there's a Pleasantview for that. For those who want a version with new stuff for extra variety and flavor, there's a download for that. That way everyone is happy!

Mine has all but one of the original lots completely rebuilt (the last one was like half-complete when I last touched on it), and I plan to add a few of the free DLC houses from the Sims 2 Exchange as well. Most (if not all, I'll have to check) of the community lots and rabbitholes required for gameplay in The Sims 3 have been added, as well.
Test Subject
#73 Old 3rd Oct 2010 at 1:17 PM
Okay, if Hraklis really doesn't want his lots to be used, I have to use them at least as placeholders, until I created my own (even though I'm quite sure, that this will be a tough job, because Hraklis houses just rock >_<).
Of course, there're going to be some decorations and custom content in my neighborhood as well, I recently added a waterfall to the neighborhood for example.
At the moment I'm working on (as I maybe told before) the street lights and road signs and some other base-decoration, so this might take a while as well.

I don't want to sound bigheaded but I got some very good feedback in some German fourms as well (the most people wanted to have the download immediately in the exchange of the sims3 store, but I'm not sure if i'm ever going to upload my finished neighborhood there...)

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#74 Old 3rd Oct 2010 at 11:13 PM
Yeah most likely MTS will be the first place I upload mine to, whenever I get it done. Miiight go to the Exchange eventually.

I'm gonna have to buy an expansion pack eventually, as since I don't have any of them yet, I can't add the bridge over the water. I need at LEAST World Adventures, but I'm trying to make mine with as few expansions and fan-made content as possible. That way I don't have to upload it and say "Oh before this can work you need to have this, and this, and this, and this, Oh and that thing over there too, so go get them."
Banned
#75 Old 12th Oct 2010 at 3:49 PM Last edited by tjstreak : 12th Oct 2010 at 4:32 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Yuiri
Beach:

It looks like you have made the beach unusable. Probably no need for that in the Sims 3 version. The inability to go to the beach always drove me nuts in the Sims 2 incarnation.

Quote: Originally posted by Baron Obvious
Meaning Hraklis doesn't give permission to use his lots in your own release. That's why his lots won't be present in my version of Pleasantview if/when I release it. They were only placeholders until I rebuilt the lots myself.

I'm sorry, but this is as dumb as it is selfish. It illustrates a lot of what is wrong with the Sims community.

What you are saying is that Hraklis wants you to redo work which is already done, forcing you to spend hours and hours unnecessarily. As a result, this project may never be completed.

Awful! Just absolutely awful!
Locked thread
Page 3 of 8