Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 4:52 PM
Default Trying to slave or recolour a clone that has no GMDC/GMND/SHPE
I've both failed and succeeded slaving clones following this tutorial before (meaning I do not know what I'm doing wrong half the time and I'm still a bit lost but I SORT OF know what I'm doing.), but now I opened a package and it just does not contain any of the resources I need to edit.

It's the teleporter painting from here:
http://modthesims.info/d/188501

I have no idea how this package points the game to the painting texture, I really know close to nothing about creating/modding objects anyway.
If I try to recolour the teleporter, the package that gets created is empty. The other thing I noticed is that the "normal" painting has 2 subsets and if you open the teleporter in the catalog in game, it has only one. (I'm guessing that has to do with CEP, it's probably what the original painting looks like without it?)

So what I wanna do is ideally slave the teleporter to the original fruit painting, but I don't know how complicated that is. Either way I somehow wanna be able to recolour this thing.
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Sep 2016 at 11:45 PM Last edited by sam&skye : 29th Sep 2016 at 12:15 AM.
I figured, since the package doesn't contain anything that I'd know has to do with textures or a mesh. My problem is that I don't know which resource is responsible for that. So I can't look into it and try around or google or anything.

I was confused about it not being recolourable. At least it doesn't show the 2 subsets that the normal painting has with CEP installed, it looks like the not recolourable version that you get without CEP. I thought if the clone just references a mesh and doesn't actually contain a "copy" of it, shouldn't anything that overrides that one (like CEP) also affect the cloned object? I mean, obviously it doesn't, I checked that. But what do I edit now? Obviously not the mesh it's referencing because there's an override for that already in my downloads which theoretically contains the changes I want to this object, only the clone seems to ignore that. Someone please just shed some light on where to start looking.
Scholar
#4 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 4:23 AM
The resource node that it is actually using is in the text list named something like '3D Object names' (the text with an instance of 0x00000085), the resource node is defined/found by name.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 12:41 PM
Ah, thanks. I'll go try if I can get anything done with that info.
Instructor
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 2:05 PM
I'm at a loss. I eventually tried cloning the painting again without making any changes, extracting the mesh and texture from that and adding it to the teleporter package so that SimPE would let me make a recolour. And it did, but of course that didn't show up. Which makes sense. It should probably just pick up recolours from the original already but somehow doesn't.

I think the issue really is that it ignores CEP and points to the original which isn't recolourable. Can anyone tell me how to go about changing that? I could look up how to make that original painting recolourable but well, someone already took care of that part, it's called CEP and I have that so idk what's wrong here.
Theorist
#7 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 2:36 PM
I would try adding the missing GMND and SHPE resources you would usually have when slaving something and see if that does the trick. (No clue if it'll actually work or not but that's what I'd do.)
Scholar
#8 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 4:09 PM
That's one of those things that is very easy to do but difficult to explain. The GMND enables re-colours and there needs to be a 'block' named 'tsDesignModeEnabled' in it, which will contain the name of the part(s) that can be re-coloured in Array format. To add the block it must created as a 'cDataListExtension' then linked in to the first block, to link it to the first block you'll need to add it to the 'Datalist Extension Reference' under the 'cObjectGraphNode' tab. After that you'll need to create an MMAT(s) for the default texture(s). Use an existing re-colourable mesh as a guide is probably the easiest way to succeed (and learn).
Instructor
Original Poster
#9 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 6:33 PM
@Honeywell: Tried, sadly doesn't do the trick, but thanks anyway.

@Chris: I think I put that a bit confusing. That GMND with all the changes to allow recolours already exists for the painting; the CEP contains it and SHOULD actually override the original one. The teleporter seems to point to the original one that wasn't recolourable, though, and that's where I'm stuck. I don't know why it does that. There's logically no GMND in the clone (teleporter) to edit, because it simply points to that of the painting it was cloned from. Make an override for that one is what I would've done now if it hadn't been done already, but apparently there already is one in my game and it has no effect on the clone for some reason.

Now if there's no way to fix that I probably would have to change the teleporter to contain a mesh instead of referencing an existing one. I could clone the painting again to add the resources for it, but from that point I only have a vague half-knowledge about which resources I need, which options to tick when cloning and how to make the teleporter actually use those. So if anyone could help me out there that would be great.
Theorist
#10 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sam&skye
@Honeywell: Tried, sadly doesn't do the trick, but thanks anyway.

@Chris: I think I put that a bit confusing. That GMND with all the changes to allow recolours already exists for the painting; the CEP contains it and SHOULD actually override the original one. The teleporter seems to point to the original one that wasn't recolourable, though, and that's where I'm stuck. I don't know why it does that. There's logically no GMND in the clone (teleporter) to edit, because it simply points to that of the painting it was cloned from. Make an override for that one is what I would've done now if it hadn't been done already, but apparently there already is one in my game and it has no effect on the clone for some reason.

Now if there's no way to fix that I probably would have to change the teleporter to contain a mesh instead of referencing an existing one. I could clone the painting again to add the resources for it, but from that point I only have a vague half-knowledge about which resources I need, which options to tick when cloning and how to make the teleporter actually use those. So if anyone could help me out there that would be great.

That's not what's happening. The teleporter is only referencing the model which is probably why no recolors are available. You want to add GMND and SHPE resources to the teleporter file itself (I know you said you did but I think you may have misunderstood what I was suggesting judging by your post). Clone the Maxis painting (the default cloning options are fine), extract the missing resources and then open the teleporter file and import them into that package. Then follow your tutorial for slaving objects to get all of the correct information set up.
Instructor
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Sep 2016 at 10:38 PM Last edited by sam&skye : 1st Oct 2016 at 6:05 PM.
Oh. Yeah I guess I misunderstood, probably because it doesn't make much sense to me, so I'll just trust you and try again. xD

One more question though, what about the renaming? This fix integrity window that pops up when you clone, does it all have to keep the filenames of the original or do I change it or does it not matter? (There's still this GMND in the CEP package, so not renaming anything would clash with that while renaming it would make it useless again because it's just a random GMND & SHPE added to the package, or am I thinking wrong agan? Chris said it's found by name.)

It clicked when I woke up today, for some reason, and the info from this thread suddenly made sense. Imported the mesh once I got a slaved clone to work, adjusted the STR like Chris said looking at my clone and voilá. It was that easy. Not sure if I had to do fix integrity after importing, but it didn't break anything. Yay. Thanks for the help.