Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Aug 2008 at 8:27 PM
Default GIMP clothing color ALL turn BLUE
PLEASE HELP! I am new at recoloring and I have been following Vashti's FANTASTIC Gimp Tutorials and for some FRACKIN' reason ALL of my recolors turn blue. If I use a GIMP pattern, it even changes to blue tones. WHY? Any help is much appreciated. I am on a Mac Laptop. The attached picture (if it works...) is of a recolor with a patterned dress and black gogo boots. As you can see....the whole thing turned cobalt blue. And that is what happens to EVERY recolor I do.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Aug 2008 at 2:44 PM
ok. i'm just going to ask a few questions, and you can hash out for me if this is what's going on. First things first: what version of GIMP are you using, for curiosity.

What tool are you selecting? are you selecting pattern, or color fill? which choices to you have selected when this happens? Are you seeing everything showing up as the patterns with highlights in GIMP, but it's blue in bodyshop, or is it floodfilled blue in GIMP as well?

spending spare time drinking more coffee
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 7th Aug 2008 at 9:51 PM
HiAlistevens

Can you do a big screenshot of your Gimp when you're doing your project, and show us what tools you've got selected, the layers dialog box open and your project.. tile them together.. Because the first step is to see if you've got something unintentionally selected..

Second thing, maybe uninstall Gimp and the environment it runs in, and reinstall it in case your copy has gotten a bit buggy, does that help?

My home site is http://www.sublimesims.net/
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 6:32 AM
It happens no matter whether I choose color fill or pattern fill and I am following Vashti's tutorial word for word. I will try again and take some screenshots. How do I find what version I am using?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 6:33 AM
It is only blue once it goes into bodyshop. It looks great when it is on GIMP.
Test Subject
#6 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 8:50 PM
hmm... that's definitely odd. can you get a screenshot of your project open in gimp, and the tools selected? as far as determining the version of GIMP you are using: open GIMP, go to your gimp toolbar, select help, scroll down to "about" and click on it. that'll pull up a box that tells you which version of gimp you are using.

Also, and this is just pure unadulterated guessing on my part, are you using the version of bodyshop that came with your most recently installed EP?

spending spare time drinking more coffee
Scholar
#7 Old 10th Aug 2008 at 12:14 AM
Mm, obvious questions but are you using Gimp for Mac? If this only happens with the Gimp patterns, then thats where the problem is. Perhaps you have it set to fill that colour for some reason..
Test Subject
#8 Old 25th Aug 2008 at 6:13 PM
Default I also have this problem
Hi,

I'm also suffering from this problem and I wondered if anyone had come across any solutions yet?

I'm using version 2.4 of Gimp, on Mac OS 10.5.4. I don't have any expansion packs installed, just using the version of Body Shop which came with my base game.

I attached screenshots of how it looks in Gimp, and how it looks in Body Shop.

The weirdest part is that this wasn't happening yesterday, and I didn't change anything overnight!

I'm new to this recolouring stuff so I hope I haven't done anything silly to cause this, but any help or tips anyone could give me would be much appreciated!

thanks, Sarah
Screenshots
Test Subject
#9 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 1:27 AM
Default Quick Fix
I have this problem using Gimp too. The quick fix is to open the edited file in paint and just do a quick file -> save, and the image suddenly shows up correctly!
Test Subject
#10 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 4:02 AM
lrw757, wow old thread! I'm glad I saw this though, because I'm having the same problem, and I really appreciate your Paint tip!
Forum Resident
#11 Old 16th Sep 2013 at 3:47 PM
I had this recently too and someone suggested to use a different graphic program. I quit using Gimp (2.8 version) and tried photoshop. That goes so much better!
Of course, the Paint tip is fine too, but if you have to add an extra program anyway, then why not move on to a different program all together? At least, that is what I felt about it.
Some meshes use a certain color and when you edit that with a (colored) pattern, it's possible it blend somehow together. Sometimes a really nice creation shows up because of it, but other times it's better to make the colored mesh part white first and work from there.
Obviously I am very new to this and already proud of myself I managed to make three outfits Í like. The next step is to see how they look when one of my Sims is wearing it. If I then still like it.

~ English is my second language. Bear that in mind if you read my stories. :)
Scholar
#12 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 1:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mirjamsim2love
I had this recently too and someone suggested to use a different graphic program. I quit using Gimp (2.8 version) and tried photoshop. That goes so much better!

Yes, but Photoshop is about £400, and GIMP is free. I for one can't afford to spend £400 just to make sims clothes.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#13 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 4:11 PM
Photoshop CS2 is free: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entit...e=cs2_downloads You have to go through a somewhat arduous registration process, but you can use fake info and, well, it's several hundred dollars' worth of software for free .

Paint.NET is also a good alternative if you don't like Photoshop. Or you can try exporting your texture as a DDS from GIMP and using the Import DDS function in SimPE.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 8:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
Photoshop CS2 is free: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entit...e=cs2_downloads You have to go through a somewhat arduous registration process, but you can use fake info and, well, it's several hundred dollars' worth of software for free .

When I tried to download it, I got the message:

Adobe has disabled the activation server for CS2 products, including Acrobat 7, because of a technical issue. These products were released more than seven years ago, do not run on many modern operating systems, and are no longer supported.

Without an activation server, will it even work? I don't want to download hundreds of megabytes only to have to delete them when I can't activate the software.
Test Subject
#15 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 7:42 PM
Default Exporting Images
Quote: Originally posted by lrw757
I have this problem using Gimp too. The quick fix is to open the edited file in paint and just do a quick file -> save, and the image suddenly shows up correctly!

This happened to me my first few times recoloring and it is related to the color settings you choose when you export a BMP. When you "export" an image as a BMP in GIMP it brings up a dialog allowing you to choose settings. Under "advanced options" the default setting is "32 bits: A8 R8 G8 B8". This setting doesn't work in Body Shop. Instead select "24 bits: R8 G8 B8". Then you should be all set, no more blue. (This is basically doing the same thing as lrw757's response above, only it does it within GIMP itself).

So GIMP works, no need to download another program if you prefer GIMP. For reference purposes, I am currently using GIMP 2.8.6.
Screenshots
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#16 Old 14th Oct 2013 at 9:12 PM
Yes, fakepeeps - they still work. I believe the deactivation of the server is why they've posted keys publicly.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#17 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 7:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gemilya
This happened to me my first few times recoloring and it is related to the color settings you choose when you export a BMP. When you "export" an image as a BMP in GIMP it brings up a dialog allowing you to choose settings. Under "advanced options" the default setting is "32 bits: A8 R8 G8 B8". This setting doesn't work in Body Shop. Instead select "24 bits: R8 G8 B8". Then you should be all set, no more blue. (This is basically doing the same thing as lrw757's response above, only it does it within GIMP itself).

So GIMP works, no need to download another program if you prefer GIMP. For reference purposes, I am currently using GIMP 2.8.6.

I cannot thank you enough! I've been struggling with this for hours with searches leading me nowhere (until I put "blue" in the search). I'm a little amazed at how easy it turned out to be.