Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jan 2014 at 1:04 PM
Default Problems with adding shadows
So I made Anna's winter dress, and I spent hours on getting the details right on it, so I was actually quite happy I could just do the shadows and finish it, but then the shadows looked really weird...
I used Lidiqnata's shadow tutorial, which I always use, but then the shadows looked very rounded at the top and they didn't quite "blend in" my texture...
I've uploaded a photo of my dress just like it was, and one with the shadows.
I also made it into a new project, so I was sure I could start over if the shadows went wrong. To be sure I uploaded both

Could someone please help me with this?
Thank you in advance!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  AnnaWinterDressWithoutShadows.rar (696.1 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
File Type: rar  AnnaDressWithShadows.rar (701.4 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 30th Jan 2014 at 9:47 PM
It doesn't look that bad to me. If anything, I'd suggest more shadows, as it still looks somewhat flat.

You could always try using the smudge tool to "pull" the tops of those shadows upward to make them less round. My guess is that you made the shadows pointy to begin with, and then blurred them (right?)... but the blurring can kind of make things round if you're not careful.

Another thing you could try is to use an existing skirt as a template for placement and then copy the shadows/highlights onto your skirt (for example, make a new layer over an existing skirt and, using that skirt as a guide, paint the shadows onto your new layer, then apply it to your new skirt).

If you're going for authenticity, keep in mind that Anna's dress is kind of flat... but full. Using a mesh with a fuller skirt might help you approximate the dress a bit better.