Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 7:14 AM Last edited by Kuree : 16th Oct 2012 at 10:15 AM.
[Tutorial]: How to make a custom-color PlumbBob
When I uploaded my creations for the PlumbBob, I found many people were interested in this little PlumbBob. After I consulted Whiterider and was encouraged by him, I just write the Tutorial here, because I feel more free with BBcode.

What you need
1. S3PE 2. NotePad or something like that
3. Some basic knowledge about XML tuning and RGB
4. A little program by me (Optional)

The Steps

1. Open the GameplayData.Package in the Sims3\Game\Bin\Gameplay

2. Using the filter to localize the XML we need
In the name, enter MoodManager, as the following image shows.

3. right click the XML and export to anywhere you can find

4. Open the file you extracted from GameplayData with S3PE 5. right click it in the S3PE and choose the notepad

6. You will find what we need to modify is at line 114, as the image shows

These odd number stand for RGB with 0-1 range and thus there are four groups of color in the text. From left to right, the text represents the worst, bad, a little bad, normal. Now, you can just replace them with the RGB value you like ( Note, please divide them with 255 and change them into 0-1)
If you choose to use my program, just choose the color like in the painter and click Generate, then replace the numbers. Like the following image shows.

7. Finally, save the text and the package, just try it!!
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Color_Maker.zip (11.9 KB, 174 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 9:11 AM
Actually you don't need steps 3 and 4. If you go into S3PE Settings | External programs and tell it where your notepad or similar editor is, then you will have the option to right-click on any text-based resource and choose Text Editor to open with. You can edit directly and when you close the editor, you will get prompted if you want to save and commit.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Actually you don't need steps 3 and 4. If you go into S3PE Settings | External programs and tell it where your notepad or similar editor is, then you will have the option to right-click on any text-based resource and choose Text Editor to open with. You can edit directly and when you close the editor, you will get prompted if you want to save and commit.

But then you will lose your original color by doing so.
Maybe it's the MOD style that makes difference.
#4 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 10:31 AM
Oh I see! Sorry I had assumed you had already exported the xml and made it into a package first. I always create a mod package before starting editing work. You can do that in one step by opening the original game file then choosing Export | To package. Then I would advise to open the new package and do all the work from there. Then you can make many subsequent tweaks without repeating the export process.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 10:38 AM
Oh I see! Sorry I had assumed you had already exported the xml and made it into a package first. I always create a mod package before starting editing work. You can do that in one step by opening the original game file then choosing Export | To package. Then I would advise to open the new package and do all the work from there. Then you can make many subsequent tweaks without repeating the export process.

That also works nice.

PS: Are you Inge on the simlogical? If so, I have accomplished my save cleaner demo. Would you like to know it?
#6 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 10:39 AM
Oh that's exciting, yes! Come and post and let us know how you approached it eventually.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 10:47 AM
Oh that's exciting, yes! Come and post and let us know how you approached it eventually.

After I have done my messy works, I will post it immediately.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 2:32 AM
Do you mind if we share our own recolors, of course linking back to you as reference?

If I was capable of recreating what's in my head, the world would be screwed.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 17th Oct 2012 at 5:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vgbookworm
Do you mind if we share our own recolors, of course linking back to you as reference?

Of cause I don't mind. Just feel free to do what you like
Test Subject
#10 Old 26th Nov 2012 at 9:12 AM
Hi there! I'm sorry if this has already been answered but I am having some trouble having the plumbbob show up in the first place? I did every step exactly as you described, I commit, I save, I load up the game (after copying the pack over of course) and the plumbbob is not above the current sim's head. Is there something I am doing wrong?
Test Subject
#11 Old 22nd Feb 2015 at 2:57 PM
please make a light purple one xx
Test Subject
#12 Old 19th Mar 2016 at 10:04 PM
Hi! please help. I've gotten to the part with the numbers where they look like 1,0,0,1 ect. I don't know how to change the colors or what numbers to change. I somehow changed it to black before reading all of this and am trying to change it back to green