Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#176 Old 16th Sep 2008 at 4:16 AM
Default Elsie and Constance - meet in the middle... of the road.
After picking up the muffins, Elsie went back to the Inn to make sure the guests were served and the rest of the morning tasks were finished. Once she was satisfied that everything was in order, she went to the General Store to get the flour she needed along with other essential supplies.

By the time she got back to the Inn, it was afternoon and Elsie had to take some of the guests’ clothes over to the Chinese Laundry. When she left the laundry, she was going to go back to the Inn for lunch. She didn’t get far, because she heard a young voice attempt to say her name.

“’I Miss Owsie!”

Elsie recognized the voice as coming from little Emmy, so she turned and saw both Emmy and her mother, Constance crossing the road toward her. With a smiled walked toward them to… meet in the middle…

“Good afternoon Elsie,” Constance said when they met up. “How are you today?”

Constance… good afternoon, hello Emmy,” Elsie said, “Things are looking up, and what are you two lovely ladies up to this afternoon Emmy?”

“We hava picic!” Emmy said.

“If you’re not busy, would you like to join us?” Constance added.

“I would love to but I’ve got quite a few things going on at the Inn today,” Elsie said, “so I’m going to have to pass up on your offer today… you know on second thought I’d love nothing more. There isn’t anything that the house can’t handle without me and I haven’t had an afternoon picnic in such a long time.”

My first 1st Place Miss~Mrs Universe 4 Augusta Stone

"Don't say thanks for nothing, knowing I did nothing for you is thanks enough."

Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#177 Old 18th Sep 2008 at 2:21 AM
Default William and Gabriel- Saloon
((OOC: Sorry for the delay! I really hope it won't happen again))

William had not become sheriff just because he was Mayor Morgan's freind. Anyone who knew what they were talking about knew that that was far and above the biggest reason, but there were others. He knew when a fight was brewing, when he cared to he could gauge other people's actions and reactions with uncanny accuracy, and he had a silently glowering presence at times that made others not want to mess with him. Other than that, it was a simple dog like loyalty. Not necessarily to the mayor, but to what he saw as right and practical. The latter often overcoming the former in importance, hence William's general calm up to now with Morgan running nearly everything and William being a figurehead.

And leave the people of Morgan's Creek without their sheriff's protection, and a bunch of outlaws around?" Gabriel commented, with his typical lack of concern for what the sheriff might have been thinking. For all Gabriel knew William might have had some kind of brilliant and elegant idea concerning the entire thing. He didn't, having decided this in an instant, but still. And then of course there was most likely a subtle point in there, on several occasions Gabriel had shown up in William's office with a small bag of silver and a message that the mayor wanted him to look into something in another town, or check out the entertainments in other areas. And when William returned there would be a small accusing stack of letters asking why he hadn't been in town as this that or the other occurred. He didn't usually answer those letters.

Thus, no point for Gabriel in the conversation, unless he was trying to appeal to some sort of ego? If the other man rightly saw that he was gaining a sense of civic duty then that might work... except William understood full well what a long and undoubtedly tiresome and painful process it was likely to be. Appealing to idealism when the one in question is still a firm pragmatist is not all that effective.

"They have yet to hit the bank here, and you're more interested in bringing the people of Fairgrove their money, than you are in protecting the ones to whom you truly have an obligation?" That one was so worthless that William physically turned to look at they other man. As if his presence, the nigh on legendarily useless sheriff would affect the outlaws decision at all?
Unless of course the entire legendary-ness was a product of William having some small bit of vanity and one particularly rude teenager in another town commenting that he thought William amazing, the perfect opposite of a heroic sheriff. Snot nosed brat. So unless William was much less infamous than he thought, still no points for Gabriel.

"One might get to thinkin' you're looking for an excuse not to be here to fulfill your duties" He caught an amused glance coming from the other man. Fine, one point. That did appeal just the littlest bit to his sense of honor, and vanity all in one go. The pragmatism remained cynically distant.

Regardless of where it came from, the thought that there was actually something of use that he could be doing in town was unbelievably appealing, but William knew, with that loud pragmatic voice, that there wasn't. If the outlaws hadn't hit yet, what were the chances they would choose tomorrow of all days? And William had the greatest respect for the little Hamlet of Morgan's Creek, there were plenty of people here that could and would deal with outlaws as quickly and probably much more harshly than he would. As sheriff he was constrained a bit by the letter of the law, a vigilante would know full well no jury in the west would convict him. So... half a point, if William was generous.

Before William could compose a suitably dismissive- but of course polite- reply, he saw out of the corner of his eye two of the saloon girls scuffle a bit, one of them getting pressed against the counter. His first instinct was to tell them to cut it out, the next to stay silent. The politics in the town were as of a few weeks ago his business, those of a saloon he would happily leave to Felicity. And besides which, if they were fighting with each other, they weren't eavesdropping on Gabriel and William.

An honest answer, that both of them knew that there was no reason on any given day for William to stay in town, would not be appropriate in this instance, and a dismissive answer would not put off Gabriel at all. A happy medium then, "Hardly. It seems to me though, that if they were to do a decent job-" both of them knew that the outlaws usually did, the mess with them not catching the horse was wildly out of character in its sheer idiocy, "-then my presence, or yours, or anyone else's out of earshot, would make no difference."

Hardly the most flattering thing for William to say, as almost the only one directly insulted by it was him- who else had any responsibility to do something?- but true nonetheless. Pragmatism won out over vanity, and William was quickly warming to the idea. It would quite likely continue to do so.

((OOC: I dunno if that's coherent or not, and I reckon its longer than I thought it would, but my head is starting to kill me, so I think I'll just post it and if anythings wrong with it, please do go right ahead and tell me))

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#178 Old 18th Sep 2008 at 6:11 PM
Default Robbie and the others - outlaw camp
Having successfully made two quick-witted jabs in less than a minute, both of which surprisingly went noticed, judging by the reactions they produced, yet not responded to, Robbie returned to eating his modest breakfast feeling pretty darned smug about himself. It wasn't often he would be allowed to have the last word, and even when he did, the others usually saw fit to retaliate in some other way, be it by ruffling his hair as though he was a child, or, as seemed to be James' favorite method, wrestling him to the ground, sometimes even shoving him. All in good 'fun' of course.
Well, most of the time, at least.

This time, however, he was left with the triumph of shutting up not just James, but all of them. Even Dex. Ah yes, triumph indeed.

"So!" Ryder said, clasping his hands together as though he was getting ready to dig into whatever there was to do this afternoon. "What's the first order of business on the agenda for today, hm?"

A good question, since most of the others seemed to be mostly dilly-dallying.

"I think we should take a crack at what we've been talking about for days", Dex replied, confirming that he too was thinking along the same lines in which Robbie's mind had started moving. "Today is as good as any day. We need to get back in the saddle."

Though with little say in pretty much anything around the outlaw camp, the boy remained silent - for once - while listening, knowing well what exactly it was that the others had been talking about for the past few days, but had yet to get around to actually doing, and in which Robbie knew he would hardly get to play a part. Unless, of course, it involved waiting on a hill or a cliff or another good lookout point, for the intended target to appear in the distance so that he could signal to the others to get ready, all the while with the scorching heat of the sun high above bearing down on him. And frankly, if that was to be the part he would get to play, he might actually ask to be left behind by the camp as usual. Mostly because if the others did ride off, he had no intention whatsoever to actually stay there. There were other things to be done, especially with a few dollars now burning a hole in his pocket.

(((ooc: Sorry trampled and Psyche if it's not much to go on, but Robbie really doesn't have a say, and since we have yet to reach a decision through PMs, there wasn't much else I could have him do.)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#179 Old 19th Sep 2008 at 3:08 AM
Default Gabriel and William - saloon
Appearances, as any fairly skilled politician will tell you, is everything. There is a wide variety of mistakes, errors, sins and crimes that one can get away with, if one just knows how to maintain a facade of good intentions and propriety. The general public don't even have to fully believe in it, because for as long as the facade remains fairly intact, there will be no proof to suggest it is just that; a facade. As long as there is a plausible explanation for things being the way there are, and happening the way they do, only a fool will dare to throw accusations around, aimed at someone with a backer as powerful as the mayor. And yet, one must still tread lightly, for the operative word in all this, is indeed 'plausible', and one can only push things so far. Once the explanations given cease to be plausible, those with suspicions will soon find themselves justified at jumping at the next chance to consider these suspicions confirmed, and things will more than likely take a turn for the worse.

All this, it would seem, was a lesson that the good sheriff Dawes had yet to learn. Or perhaps he simply disregarded it, in his sudden and quite frankly at the moment rather self-destructive urge to grow a backbone. Whatever the reason, he didn't seem to take into consideration the fact that he was already walking a bit of a tightrope in Morgan's Creek, as the citizens would only tolerate a rather passive sheriff for so long. He didn't exactly have a reputation for doing things that would instill a sense of trust in them, and while wanting to return a bunch of valuables to the citizens of the neighbouring town was a noble endeavor - on the surface at least - it would seem William Dawes simply neglected the fact that he had no responsibility towards the people of Fairgrove. Not only was the town out of his jurisdiction, it was also nowhere near his duty to return valuables to the citizens there. His main concern should be the town of Morgan's Creek, and the people in it, and so while his intentions might be pure as snow - doubtful - it didn't really matter, because him riding off to return the money to Fairgrove would be seen as him once again taking a greater interest in something that was not his responsibility, while leaving what was his responsibility wide open for whatever trouble might arise during his absence. And while he might have gotten away with it before, there was now a major difference; before, he'd usually had the mayor and/or Gabriel to cover his rear end for not being where he was supposed to be, by either of them mentioning in passing to someone they knew would gossip about it, that the sheriff had had good reason to be absent. Now, however, there would be no one to cover for him, as he was currently in the process of opposing those very people, by insisting to do himself what the mayor clearly wanted Gabriel to carry out.
Not a wise decision.

"Hardly", the man replied to Gabriel's insinuation. "It seems to me though, that if they were to do a decent job, then my presence, or yours, or anyone else's out of earshot, would make no difference."

In essence, that might have been true, had Gabriel actually been referring to the outcome of a possible robbery. However, he had not. What he had been referring to, was appearances, and the power thereof. Much like the sheriff himself had said, they both knew that if the outlaws decided to hit the bank in Morgan's Creek, there wasn't all that much that he could do about it. But, that really was beside the point. The point was, that there was a h*ll of a difference in him being there and not being able to do much about it, and him not being there, and thus willingly seeing to it that he was not able to do anything. One indicated at least a feeling of responsibility and, if he so chose, the desire to be able to do something, whereas the other merely signalled disinterest in the people who so far had not grown quite jaded enough regarding his abilities, to demand that he was released of his duties altogether. But considering his reputation, such things might soon be subject to change, should he feel so very compelled to add to their list of reasons.

"Ah", Gabriel thus calmly replied. "But that is where you're mistaken, sheriff. It makes a world of difference."

Though he didn't elaborate, but simply left it up to William to connect the dots, should he be inclined to do so this time around, and instead continued with pointing out what he had felt really ought to be the obvious, but was apparently another thing either forgotten or ignored by William. So, one last chance then;

"Now, Dawes, correct me if I'm wrong, but in your line of work, it takes either the trust of the people in town, or some rather powerful friends - preferrably both - to maintain one's career. Currently, you lack one of these things. I would advice you to think carefully before simply throwing away the other."

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Field Researcher
#180 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 11:30 PM
Default Mae Starr & Scarlett O'Reilly - The Saloon
# 6 [Afternoon, day #1]

Mornings and middays was rather slow at the Saloon, the girls might be able to spark some interest that would mean business later on, but they didn't get many customers until then. Mae was good at enticing the men, and most would prefer her over their duties. None the less, they needed to work in order to pay for the entertainment she offered.

It left Mae with plenty of time to ensure her place among the girls. Just as the men had to stay on top of their game, so did the working girls. Some of them took it as serious as Mae, and some didn't. Occassionally, it meant the latter got in the fray without thinking ahead.

“I think the rules are that no-one gets hurt", Scarlett said, causing Mae to frown.

No fun. Although it wasn't the kind of fun that put a smile on Mae's face, unless it was sinister in nature, it did keep her some what amused. And now, Scarlett had gone beside the point, making their conversation dull and almost resembling a plea.

"You silly girl", she said and put her hands on her hips. "It was a retorical question. Do you really think I would let you decide the rules?"

((( ooc: Alissa - Sorry for the delay. )))
Field Researcher
#181 Old 22nd Sep 2008 at 12:09 AM
Default Dex Woolgar, Robbie Logan & the outlaws - Outlaw Hideout
# 6 [Afternoon, day #1]

No one said anything, even though Dex had left a serious proposition hanging in the air. Maybe they were all affected by his hint to what had happened to their friend Richard, or they really didn't know what to say. Not even their leader Boyd said anything at first, though he soon gave a nod and a comment suggesting he agreed with Dex. Said and done, the ball was in play.

Since Dex had seniority, once they all had agreed, he was a man of actions. He didn't sit around, waiting for someone to point him in the right direction. He pretty much had a general idea on how to go about things. And though not all of them jumped at getting started, no one voiced an opinion saying they should wait.

"We need supplies", Dex said. "Me and Robbie will ride into town, and if that's alright with you guys, I suggest the rest of you scout and tie up loose ends so we don't get any surprises."

Their leader may very well be offended by Dex taking charge, but he was probably just happy to get some what of a break. It was, after all, his idea to rob the bank in Fairgrove. And though no one blamed him for what had happened, it wasn't likely that he was that nice to himself.

"Sounds good", he said, holding his hat, while brushing dust from its brim. "Don't forget to stock up on ammo."

Dex gave him a faint smile, as if to reassure him that they weren't jinxed, that their next job would be successful.

"I'm on it", he said, conveying calmness, and then he looked at the boy. "Robbie? Are you up for it?"

Though he was sure he didn't have to ask that twice.
#182 Old 22nd Sep 2008 at 11:46 PM
Default Constance and Elsie - In the meadow...
Constance knew that Elsie tended to be rather busy with the inn, so when Elsie started to explain why she couldn’t join them, she wasn’t surprised. Though she wasn’t going to let her friend off the hook easily, so when Elsie paused, Constance was about to comment that she worked too hard and deserved a break.

However, before she could say anything, she was pleasantly surprised when Elsie said, “You know on second thought I’d love nothing more. There isn’t anything that the house can’t handle without me and I haven’t had an afternoon picnic in such a long time.”

“I’m glad to hear that,” Constance said with a wide smile, as they headed toward the meadow. “Everyone deserves a break every once in a while. Luke may be joining us as well.”

“Mama I pay?” Emmy said pointing to where a couple of the younger school girls were waving at her.

“For a little bit,” she said, and she watched as Emmy ran off to play. Going on just a little further, she stopped and said, “This looks like a good spot. You know,” she continued as they started to lay the blanket down and set out the food. “We don’t see you often enough… How are things with you?”
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#183 Old 24th Sep 2008 at 9:06 PM
Default Robbie and the outlaw gang - outlaw hideout
Since he had expected to hear the others start discussing tactics of how to go about this next project of theirs, and 'known' he would hardly be included, Robbie listened with only half an ear to their discussion, taking more interest in the last few bites of the still warm roll in his hands than he did to what was being said.

"We need supplies", came Dex' voice, registering only somewhere distant in Robbie's mind. "Me and Robbie will ride into town, and if that's alright with you guys, I suggest the rest of you scout and tie up loose ends so we don't get any surprises."

That last sentence however, did the trick. While two seconds earlier, he may not have been paying too much attention, the moment he heard his name being mentioned, the young man's head perked up and he started listening more intently. Dex wanted him to ride into town with him, for supplies? Although it wasn't really something out of the ordinary, as it was one of the tasks Robbie had had the 'honor' or performing before, and although it wasn't something near the job he was yearning to do, it was still something, and alot better than just sitting around the camp doing nothing of importance. Plus, he did have that money he had taken from James, so if he could find a way somehow, to seperate Dex and himself while in town, he just might...

"Robbie? Are you up for it?"

Again the older man's voice sliced right through his thoughts, and drug them back to the present. The boy's previously thoughtful gaze thus soon landed on him, the look in his eyes now far more brisk and alert.

"Sure", he said, and in a split second was on his feet, almost as though he thought even the tiniest delay in reacting might make Dex change his mind. "Ready when you are."

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Top Secret Researcher
#184 Old 29th Sep 2008 at 10:51 PM
Default Felicity and Kate-Backroom
Felicity waited for her companion to eat. After all, she was not ravenously hungry, but she had been on her feet all day, and when she did bestir herself to cook, the results were always to die for. So once the food was cooked and smelling so succulent it was all she could do to not dive in and maybe eat the whole cow. In the interests of civility she restrained herself though. And in the interests of decorum and having learned long ago that a few manners went a very long way, she waited politely.

Her jape a few moments ago had drawn a grin onto her friend's features. Good. Felicity had the greatest respect for Kate, and she knew it was hypocritical to think her friend should loosen up about her work, but that didn't mean that she didn't and so was pleased when she didn't pry further.

“You are shameless,” Kate said, in amusement of course. She took another bite of the roast and let a rapturous expression slide onto her features. “God, Felicity, you certainly weren’t exaggerating, this is wonderful!”

Felicity was not a modest person, when complimented she had no problems with showing she was pleased. Still, she only smiled rarely, her life had not been as hard as some people she knew, but it had been enough to make a full smile that lit up her whole face a rare thing. Ever since she had started to let Kate into her confidences it had happened more frequently, but it was still a conscious decision every time. For some reason she allowed a broad smile to creep onto her face momentarily as she took another bite.

"Course its wonderful," she said cheerfully. Food was about as thoroughly discussed as it was going to get, the saloon's more famous- or infamous, depending on where you stood- patrons was not a subject that Felicity would bring up on her own, but she was far from out of ways to keep the conversation flowing. A barkeep had to learn such things quickly, especially if she wanted to keep her skirts down. "So, what happened with those men from Fairgrove a few days ago? Were they all right?"

((OOC: Sorry for the delay, hope that was ok with you, and I tried to give you stuff to work with, since they seem to just be small talking
Atropa- I'll get a reply up for William eventually, prolly before thursday. Can't swear for it))

The humor of a story on the internet is in direct inverse proportion to how accurate the reporting is.
Top Secret Researcher
#185 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 2:52 AM
Default William and Gabriel and Panda's Mental Puttification
((OOC: My brain has turned into a fine viscous fluid that tastes vaguely of chicken. If post reflects that, sorry in advance.))

William had a tendency to warm to a subject quickly. He also had an unfortunate habit of picking the wrong battles and not realizing until it was far too late to back off with any degree of dignity or finesse. William Dawes had never been a man of many words, or much skill with those words he did deign to say, and despite the common wisdom saying otherwise, becoming Sheriff Dawes did nothing to change that.

So when Gabriel responded to William's prior comment by saying, "Ah, but that is where you're mistaken, sheriff. It makes a world of difference."

William was firmly in the picking battles part of his arc at that point. He waited for Gabriel to elaborate. It made no difference at all whether he couldn't hear from a mile away or from fifty so far as he saw, after all the only reason he was sheriff was Morgan's goodwill, and... oh. Dissent in government was perfectly acceptable, but not if it put William's livelihood on the line. It was certainly not out of the question for him to get a job as a carpenter again, but being sheriff was much much easier.

William's expression contracted a bit, and his inkling was confirmed when Gabriel continued, seemingly idly, "Now, Dawes, correct me if I'm wrong, but in your line of work, it takes either the trust of the people in town, or some rather powerful friends - preferrably both - to maintain one's career. Currently, you lack one of these things. I would advice you to think carefully before simply throwing away the other."

Well, William wanted to do right by the people of the town, and knowing Edward Morgan, that wouldn't happen if the man's goodwill was not thrown away. Still, the thought of being deposed of the office of sheriff was humiliating, nigh on horrid, for William to contemplate.

So he decided the best thing to do would be to cut his losses, continue his quiet moral rebellion elsewhere. And more quietly than he had been. William had learned a long time ago to cut his losses before he was too hopelessly far behind. Cutting out while he was ahead had never happened, so he didn't have a contingency plan for that.

However, somewhat accurate descriptions of spinelessness aside, Sheriff William Dawes was not a stupid man. He could be thoroughly oblivious and set in his ways, but he was no idiot. He did not like Gabriel Callahan one bit, and did not want the people of Fairgrove getting ripped off. Since going himself seemed out of the question, there was no reason he couldn't contact the sheriff in Fairgrove some other way. Quiet rebellion.

Contrary to the popular opinion that all he did was sit around all day, the day after the stage coach robbery he had telegraphed the sheriff in Fairgrove saying that a portion of the money had been found and would be returned in due time. The men driving the stage coach also surely had told their harrowing story, to free rounds of drinks in the Fairgrove saloon. The money was expected, and it would be a simple matter to continue on his merry way over the mayor's head and send a telegram again, saying exactly how much. If Gabriel got too suspicious in the other town William knew there would be enough doubt in the entire situation that he could say that the other riders must have worked out the amount themselves. After all, who would expect that the notoriously incompetent Sheriff Dawes would have sent off a message to limit corruption?

However, this little bit of silent rebellion, that quiet resistance couldn't take place if William didn't handle this part, the conversation with Gabriel, properly. He was a fairly proud man, and Gabriel surely knew that from their years of business. So bowing aside with no fight was out of the question, it would arouse suspicion that he was still fighting, just not here. And continuing this argument much farther could make things very awkward. His job was safe for the moment, what he planned would not put it at risk, but still, acting stupidly would not do him any benefit.

So decided he answered coolly, "Fair enough." He made no effort to mask the dislike he felt, both of them knew it was there, pretending it wasn't was both out of character for the somewhat surly sheriff, and counterproductive to his purposes now. "I suppose the expectations of the town must come before any actual ethics."

He turned back on his stool to face the bar again. His glare was still firmly in place, and quite content to be there, but having been beaten, at least for the moment, he would make an attempt at forcing civility. The entire thing had actually put him in a slightly amused mood, but a glare was rather easy to maintain, especially in this man's presence. "So when exactly will you be taking the money back?"

A perfectly fair question, after all, William would need to know when to expect Gabriel and company to show up and pick up the cash.

((OOC: I hope that's ok... and it does make sense that William would have telegraphed Fairgrove, they would know about it by the riders too... and him having blackmail on Morgan... that I pulled out of mine arse, but it makes sense if they were army buddies that he would.
And see, I even did it when I said I would, putresent brain and all!))

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#186 Old 3rd Oct 2008 at 11:02 AM
(((ooc: Furry - Well... What you just 'pulled out of your arse' kind of changes things, alot. Including Gabriel's part of the conversation, and his reasoning, up to this point. I mean, as Morgan's right-hand man, he would know that Dawes had leverage on Morgan, because considering their dealings and all the stuff he's done for Morgan (Gabriel, that is) he would really need to know what rules applied, and Dawes having leverage on Morgan would be a major part of that... So... I'm not really sure what to do now. There's no way I can keep Gabriel consistent as a character, unless I go back and edit all the previous posts of the conversation, and I'm not really too keen on the idea of suddenly changing the way he is because of the backstory apparently being different than I had been lead to believe initially... So... I'm kind of stuck...)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Top Secret Researcher
#187 Old 4th Oct 2008 at 7:12 PM
((OOC: Edited))

Scholar
#188 Old 5th Oct 2008 at 9:57 PM
Default Scarlett and Mae - Saloon
With the usual display of mischief, Scarlett escaped by the skin of her teeth. It wasn’t quite the thrill if there wasn’t danger involved, to always keep her on the edge, fists and jaw clenched until she made it out. However, she always got away with it…. Always so far. Here, this particular morning, with her making life difficult for Mae Starr of all people, it was going to be quite a close call. And yet, one thing stood out in Scarlett O’Reilly’s mind; she started it.

That said, Mae sure as hell wasn’t going to finish it. That was regardless of whether or not Mae actually wanted to finish it – she just wasn’t going to get to finish it. That wasn’t because Scarlett had a predilection for being childish – though, that did contribute – but because Mae’s method of ending the game would involve more malicious intent and consequences than any of Scarlett’s methods ever could. Hence, Scarlett had to have the last say. Thankfully, it didn’t seem that Mae was looking to finish up anytime soon:

"You silly girl,” Me frowned, further exacerbating the intimidation she was wielding. "It was a retorical question” Yes, Scarlett figured as much, though she hadn’t counted on Mae making the situation and Scarlett’s position in it so bluntly obvious: “Do you really think I would let you decide the rules?"

Though it was unexpected, it wasn’t shocking that Mae was taking this – any figures of authority having made themselves scarce – as an opportunity to possibly give Scarlett a preview of what she’d set herself up for… and Scarlett needed to tread at least a little carefully and hence, the entrance of Simon Beckett – the aging, drunken and weathered looking ironsmith – stumbled in for his afternoon ‘tea’. Taking the few precious moments, Scarlett immediately poured him a pint of his usual, sliding it over to him with that disarming smile, before turning back to Mae.

There was no dancing around the issue; Scarlett would have to be equally blunt at this point because Mae was probably looking to help Scarlett dig a deeper hole and ambiguity wasn’t going to help.

“Well then,” she started softly, still with assurance lingering in her melodic voice. “Maybe we shouldn’t play.”

(((OOC: Hope that works for you, Psyche. So sorry for the delay!)))

"Life is just a chance to grow a soul" - A. Powell Davies
Field Researcher
#189 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 12:12 AM
# 7 [Afternoon, day #1]

Robbie didn't waste any time.

"Sure", he said and got on his feet in two shakes of a lamb's tail. "Ready when you are."

Going to get supplies might not be on the top of the boy's wish list, but it was better than to be left behind. Futher more, Dex was going too, and he didn't indicate that he had to go along with Robbie to make sure he got the job done and didn't get into trouble. On the contrary, he regarded this little side mission as one small step towards Robbie's ultimate goal - to ride with them. If Dex had any say in it, that might happen sooner rather than later. But it was really up to their leader, and no one wanted to push him to put a boy in the middle of the fray. However, Dex was a little worried that Robbie would take matters into his own hands, if they strung him along for too long.

All the usual admonishments went out the window when Robbie was with Dex. Of course, even he could give a mild warning or an advice every now and then, but seldom something meant to put him down because of his age or lack of experience. Dex wanted to see how Robbie handled himself, guided by his own mind. He watched the boy as they both prepared the horses for the ride, automatically since they had done that a million times. Dex wouldn't make unnecessary comments on how Robbie should keep the gun when in the city, that they needed to stay low and make sure they blended in as much as possible - without trying too hard. Etcetera. Instead, he mounted his horse, all along with an amused twinkle in his eyes.

"Had I been younger", he said with a chuckle. "I would have raised you to the rocks over there, fair and square. But an old man can't play by the rules, so I dare you to race me, starting from the ground."

When he had started talking, he had seemed calm and peaceful, all in all to not rush the boy to get on his horse. But as soon as Dex finished his dare, he kicked the horse and exploded into a full gallop towards the said destination.

((( ooc: Atropa - Sorry for the delay. )))
Scholar
#190 Old 12th Oct 2008 at 12:06 PM
Default Kate and Felicity - Saloon backroom
Meals, for Kate Hilton, had always been more about the conversation than the actual food on the plate. However, it wasn’t to say that she paid no attention to the meal, that she had no appreciation of the efforts that were poured into it, for she did. It was simply that meals, when taken with company, had always been more about the company. It was simply the result of hailing from a family of politicians.

Today was no exception. Though, admittedly, Felicity’s cooking was far more than enough to distract Kate from any of her ingrained obligations to do with making scintillating conversation over the dining table, and yet, habits were habits and thus, relishing the taste of the food was only a fraction of Kate’s mind. The majority of it had automatically devoted itself to Felicity’s company.

"Course its wonderful," she smiled one of those broad, beautiful smiles that Kate appreciated more for the fact that she never seemed to see it when they were in more public company. "So, what happened with those men from Fairgrove a few days ago? Were they all right?"

Ah, yes, that matter. Of course, Kate’s main interest over that matter had always pertained to the wellbeing of the people involved rather than the money, which she would bet was a contrast to the interests of William. However, she couldn’t blame him for it, though, one would contemplate that upholding the law would be for the people involved and hence their wellbeing would feature quite heavily, more importantly than that of the money. Still, she supposed the money was the motivator that endangered the people in the first place.

“They were pretty badly cut up,” Kate admitted, a slight memory rushing through her mind carrying the sight of some of them, a grimace flickering over her porcelain features. “Though, I’m glad to know they’ve arrived back in Fairgrove safely. I’m sure Dr Griffin is more than capable of following up their treatment.”

“Have you heard anything about it?” Kate continued asking, slight more cautious as she glanced up at Felicity, knowing that it could be somewhat of a difficult affair for both of them to discuss this.

(((OOC: SO sorry for the delay and hope this works for you, Furry )))

Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#191 Old 12th Oct 2008 at 3:51 PM
Default Gabriel and William - saloon
"Fair enough."

The voice of the sheriff as he replied to the not-so-subtle hint that Gabriel had felt forced to deliver, due to the sheriff's stubborn unwillingness to cooperate, was calm but revealingly chilly; an obvious indication that he was not all that pleased with the point Gabriel was making, and which the sheriff only now seemed to be catching on to.
Finally. Sure took him long enough. Although Gabriel had his doubts that true dullness of wits had anything to do with it, but that it was more a case of the sheriff intentionally making himself difficult. For whatever reason.

"I suppose the expectations of the town must come before any actual ethics", he added.

Ethics, eh? Bold words, coming from a man whose own ethics didn't appear to be anything but in a rather poor condition, considering he had been paid on quite a few occasions to neglect them. Not that Gabriel thought it was up to him to judge the man for it, since it made his own job alot easier, and also would be much like throwing bricks in a glass house to do so. But then again, Gabriel didn't really go around pretending he had ethics in the first place.

"So when exactly will you be taking the money back?" William continued, turning away from Gabriel to face the mirror behind the bar again, much like Gabriel himself had been doing the whole time, with the exception of a brief sideway glance here and there.

It was a reasonable question, yes, but what the sheriff didn't seem to realize, or at least chose to challenge at the moment, was that by proving so very reluctant to be cooperative from the get-go, he had pricked Gabriel's already constant suspicion, and fuelled it further with that surly expression Gabriel saw when glancing at the man's reflection in the mirror. Granted, it only made sense for him to be grumpy, having had Gabriel, a man he clearly was nowhere near liking very much, threaten his comfortable position in Morgan's Creek, but given the previous reluctance to accommodate, Gabriel wasn't about to brush it all off that easily.

"I see no need for you to worry yourself with that, sheriff," he thus said casually. "Just make sure the loot's there, and we'll get in touch when everything is set."

Dawes might have bowed out of the fight, but Gabriel didn't trust him. Never had. And the fact that there had even been an argument in the first place was proof enough that he had good reason not to.

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#192 Old 12th Oct 2008 at 8:37 PM
Default Robbie and Dex - prairie
Currently at the height of his teen years, Robert 'Robbie' Logan, like most other teen boys, wanted action and adventure at almost every given time. He wanted life to be exciting and filled with things to do, which was part of the reason why he had sought out his older brother in the first place. Even though he hadn't known at the time that his brother was an outlaw, he had figured James' life had to be more interesting than what Morgan's Creek had had to offer the young boy. Especially considering that the whispers behind his back and the glares of certain people were still getting to him, and that some insisted on making life troublesome for him whenever they got the chance. And as it had turned out, James' life was indeed far more interesting, and Robbie had finally managed to make himself a part of it.
Only to discover that just because life was interesting for James, it didn't mean it would be alot more interesting for Robbie than it had been back in town, since the men of the gang just wouldn't let it.
Most of the time.

Though of all of them, Dex and Ryder seemed to be the ones that didn't need Robbie to hit them over the head with the fact that he could really be far more useful than making stupid meals and running stupid errands, or just sitting around the stupid camp doing nothing. And they also seemed the most willing to make life less dull for him, in a way that didn't include him getting wrestled to the ground or otherwise teased just for the sake of it. As proven by Dex just now, by not only suggesting that Robbie rode into town with him, but that they would race part of the way as well;

"Had I been younger", the man chuckled as he settled in the saddle, "I would have raised you to the rocks over there, fair and square. But an old man can't play by the rules, so I dare you to race me, starting from the ground."

With that, he urged his horse into a full gallop, leaving a momentarily dumbstruck Robbie behind in a cloud of dust, before the challenge registered in the young boy's mind.

"Hey!" he then called out indignantly, doing his best to throw himself up on his Palomino as it jittered and danced, enlivened by its mate's sudden departure. "Cheater!"

Only moments later, his attempt succeeded, and second horse and rider were off as well, in hot pursuit of the first. Now, as far as riding went, with the many years of experience that he had on Robbie, Dex was quite a challenge to the young boy and without a doubt a more skilled rider. But he also had an older horse, which even though it knew its rider and its rider knew it, through years of faithful service, didn't do much to keep the considerably more youthful Robbie and his considerably more youthful horse from gaining on them, and eventually take the lead, just in time to claim the victory.

Once past the finish line - the rocks indicated by Dex - he tugged gently at the reins to slow the animal to a pleasant trot, and turned in the saddle to shoot Dex a grin so triumphant that words would seem nothing short of redundant. And yet after a few seconds, he couldn't help but to state the obvious;

"I won", he declared.

(((ooc: Okay guys, I have a question. Considering we're now down to only four active players, and that it sort of limits the RP possibilities a bit, I've been pondering if it's enough to keep this RP up and running. I'm not saying I'll shut it down tomorrow, I'm just asking for thoughts and opinions. Do you guys want to keep going? If you do, I'll do my best to try and liven things up here a bit, maybe see if we can get some of the other players back, and would gladly accept suggestions for how to improve things. )))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Top Secret Researcher
#193 Old 12th Oct 2008 at 9:10 PM
((OOC: Well... my personal opinion generally runs to the flogging of dying horses, rather than shooting them. Flogging generally in the form of [for this situation] changing time, throwing a party, exploding an armory {sorry, I've been reading crappy ww2 fictions...} or similar.

And besides which, I don't object to little, close knit RPs anyway. I figure that if everyone, being the four people, is still having fun, then let it be a little close knit RP.

So short version: Yeppers, very much so.

P.S. sorry for the analogy about flogging a dead horse...))

Field Researcher
#194 Old 13th Oct 2008 at 10:43 PM
Default Mae Starr & Scarlett O'Reilly - The Saloon
# 7 [Afternoon, day #1]

There really was no excuse for Mae's behaviour. Maybe she was an only child, or the one in the middle or the baby. Maybe she had been spoiled, maybe she had been neglected. No one in Morgan's Creek knew, since she was not keen on talking about the past. After all, Mae Starr wasn't even her real name. But you could only go so far, and blame it on your childhood. There always came a point, from which you had to fend for yourself. And even if Mae harboured some deep dark secret or sin, that could explain her ways, she would never be caught complaining. Just like it didn't seem she would be caught being nice - not without an ulterior motive. Well, that would be plain if anyone knew her, but no one really did. Instead, people around her would get confused, when there would be intermissions of evilness in her seemingly somewhat kind streak. It seemed they came without notice, like some of her really ugly mischief did. Sometimes it entwined, and the tables didn't just turn; they broke.

"Well then", Scarlett said, seemingly sure of herself. "Maybe we shouldn’t play."

No one in their right mind would bet on Mae being kind, anytime soon. It would rather seem that Scarlett just tightened the rope around her own neck. The fact was, that Mae hated to be the target of fun and games when the instigator couldn't stand the effect it had. It was frustrating, even if it gave her the golden opportunity to make threats - something she loved to do if the time was right.
A soft smile, as polite as a godfearing child, graced Mae's lips, along with friendly deep blue eyes. Was she coming around, or was she just making her way like the snake in paradise?

"Oh, but we should play", she said, initially sounding like an upstanding citizen. "But I grow tired of your games, since you don't seem to wanna finish them. So I tell you what - you dropped the ball and when I decide to pick it up, you will notice."

She shrugged her shoulders, like she didn't have a care in the world. And really, she didn't.

"If I decide to do so", she said, like she was talking about a recipe or the latest fashion. "There might be too many choices for me to be able to settle for one. Should I scare you senseless in the middle of the night, or just put salt in your cup of tea? Decisions, decisions..."

The last repetitive word changed her whole demeanour. Her friendly eyes turned sour, like she was the witch in some ghost story, and then she smiled again - like she was the purest princess, waiting for the prince to save her.
Field Researcher
#195 Old 13th Oct 2008 at 11:45 PM
# 8 [Afternoon, day #1]

If cheating was a sin, it would be a small one according to Dex. He didn't keep tabs on if what he did at a certain time was a sin, but he had a pretty good general moral compass. It was just that he was so used at ignoring it, that he couldn't keep track of it. He followed his own direction, went where he wanted to go and did what he wanted to do. He was loyal to his friends, and if what he did kept them and himself happy, then no one could convice him it was wrong.

He was the kind of man that would mind his own business, and believe that everyone else should do the same. Especially the one's he didn't know, and probably didn't want to know either. Like the men of the cloth. Dex stopped going to church the second he left home. There was no need to point out the fact that he wasn't welcome anymore, and he didn't need the attention. He didn't even know if he had ever believed in God, or if it was just a tradition, like his father's beatings. And now, a long way from home, and many years away from his youth, he never thought of believing or not believing. If he trusted in anything, it was in himself.

So, if not playing fair would put a smile on Robbie's face, it was all in good fun. And probably the most innocent sin ever committed by Dex. And after all, the boy did win. However, it made them both winners. Though Dex hadn't let him win, he was pleased to see the young one happy. If for no other reason, it would hopefully mean that he was forgiven for giving him a hard time earlier.

"I won", the boy declared, and no one could wash that smug grin of his face even if they tried.

Dex had slowed down his horse too; the animal seemed a bit tired from getting such a shock, first thing that day.

"Yeah, I have to work on my cheating skills", he said, and seemed to be dead serious. "We can't have you running around, winning. The world would turn up side down, and James would be insufferable be around. I might have to shoot him."

Seconds later, he did smile, and gave the boy a glance. Friendly banter - lawless life on the prairie would be excruciating without it. And standing on Robbie's side against James, now that was only fun.
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#196 Old 16th Oct 2008 at 9:33 PM
Default Robbie and Dex - plains
Things were looking up. After having his day get off to a rocky start, with a mix of giving gibes and recieving them, things now seemed to be heading in a generally pleasant direction for Robbie, what with him getting to accompany someone who didn't insist on teasing and taunting him every chance they got, and ride into town with them, where he just might find the right opportunity to put the money he had stolen from James to good use. In whatever manner that might end up being. He could think of at least two options. And now this, getting challeneged by Dex, who Robbie knew was an excellent rider, as well as almost three times his own age, and actually end up winning, despite the old man's trick!
Oh yes, things were definitely looking up, and the smug grin on Robbie's lips felt almost as though it had stuck.

Dex, on the other hand, seemed to have decided to not let it faze him, but instead act as though, to him, Robbie's victory had brought with it some actual concerns.

"Yeah", he admitted. "I have to work on my cheating skills. We can't have you running around, winning. The world would turn up side down, and James would be insufferable be around. I might have to shoot him."

Turning back in the saddle to face forward once more, as they rode on towards Morgan's Creek in a somewhat slower pace than before, Robbie first gave only a snort, though it was soon followed by his seemingly incessant need to comment on everything;

"And that would be a loss why exactly?" he inquired with a sarcastic smirk at the thought.

Not that he really wished any harm would come to his brother, but James did tend to make himself such a pain in the backside that sometimes Robbie wished he could just shoot him.

(((ooc: Okay, since all the active players seem to be in agreement, we'll keep this RP going. Thanks guys for your thoughts and opinions.)))

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Field Researcher
#197 Old 22nd Oct 2008 at 12:11 AM
Default Dex Woolgar & Robbie Logan - Plains
# 9 [Afternoon, day #1]

Dex could use a beer right about now. The sun was just as high up in the sky as it would ever be, and the heat was a fact. It stopped being pleasant, and started to be a factor. The air around them moved, causing their view to tremble. However, Dex was used to it, and he didn't miss the chilly night.

"And that would be a loss why exactly?" Robbie asked beside him, wondering why shooting James would be a problem.

A sly grin lingered on Dex's lips, as he gave the boy a glance. No heartfelt sympathy for his older brother then, though Dex knew they did care for each other. But if Robbie ever hoped to be one for them, he couldn't run around in awe of James. He had to make his own way in the world. Joking about his brother's demise was just an ingredient, needed to have others know he wasn't a softie.

"I dunno really", Dex said with a shrug, as if he was caught by surprise and couldn't think of a reason to keep the older Logan around. "Well, no use to prolong the suffering for everyone. I will make a mental note to shoot him when we get back."

He sounded pragmatic. There was no hint of jest, and he held his gaze towards the horizon. Though in his head, he had loads of fun. Robbie really quickened him, made his senses sharper.

"You're brother is actually very good", he said with a more serious tone. "He has a sixth sense when it comes to robbery. I have no idea how his mind works, and I'm sure I don't wanna know. Maybe it's just echoing in there, but he gets the job done. He might just be a lucky sod."
Retired Moderator
retired moderator
Original Poster
#198 Old 24th Oct 2008 at 9:31 PM
Default Robbie and Dex - plains, headed for Morgan's Creek
Considering Robbie's sarcasms, gibes and general display of disdain or at least annoyance, where his older brother was concerned, as well as James' rather similar conduct towards Robbie, one might get to thinking that there was no love at all between the two brothers. The times filled with insults and bickering back and forth would usually outnumber the times holding signs of affection, ten to one, and even during that one rare occasion, the signs of affection given would usually be quite remote.

And yet, no matter what their behaviour towards one another might lead others to believe, the two did genuinely care for one another. James' heckling comments would often be protectiveness in disguise, since it was obvious that more often than not, Robbie would turn a deaf ear to protectiveness on it's own, plain and simple. And Robbie cared for his brother as well. He looked up to James, despite the man not being one of the most pleasant ones in the vicinity, nor the most honorable, and he wanted to make him proud. With his mother no longer alive, and the man believed to be his father having all but run him out of town, the only family that remained, and whose approval young Robbie would seek, was James. It was only natural. But nothing that Robbie was any more likely to admit, than James was to admit that he cared for his little scoundrel of a brother.

Thus, Robbie's official albeit not completely serious stance, was that James was a nuisance, and indeed ought to be shot.

"I dunno really", Dex replied when the young man voiced said stance, and gave a shrug while looking as though he was giving the question some thought, before concluding; "Well, no use to prolong the suffering for everyone. I will make a mental note to shoot him when we get back."

However, as Dex seemed to be a man to give credit where credit was due, he apparently decided to answer the question for real a few seconds later;

"Your brother is actually very good. He has a sixth sense when it comes to robbery. I have no idea how his mind works, and I'm sure I don't wanna know. Maybe it's just echoing in there, but he gets the job done. He might just be a lucky sod."

Robbie, still unwilling to admit his true feelings for his brother, simply looked at him for a couple of seconds, in what seemed like silent wonderment.
Though as seemed to always be the case with the younger Logan brother, the silence lasted only for so long;

"Wow", he said in mock amazement, his tone of voice ringing with sarcasm at the wide range of possibilities painted by Dex. "You sure must have a good judgement of people. Either a sixth sense, or just plain ol' luck, and either a mind that works, or one that just echoes. My my, you've really got Jimmy pegged, dontcha?"

~ * ~ Volition ~ * ~
Scholar
#199 Old 25th Oct 2008 at 11:26 PM
Default Scarlett and Mae - Saloon
That feeling of being a little in too deep was getting to Scarlett. She knew that Mae was pretty darn far from an easy target for her childish mischief and she knew that Mae’s type of mischief was pretty darn far from childish and so, Scarlett really should have known better than to tick off Mae. Especially so early in the day. Still, she’d done it and now she had to deal with it.

Except, once given something to chew on, Mae was the type who didn’t let go until whatever it was was well and truly chewed up. And problem was that it was Scarlett who was currently stuck as the prey of Mae’s wrath. Most likely, this wasn’t going to end well… unless Scarlett managed to find some saving grace somewhere and God only knew what that would be in Mae’s case.

"Oh, but we should play,” Mae insisted, with a soothing yet chilling smile gracing her full lips. "But I grow tired of your games, since you don't seem to wanna finish them.”

Well. Scarlett was trying to finish them just a moment ago… apparently, the grand finish hadn’t been to Mae’s liking and Mae’s preference weren’t likely to be much to Scarlett’s liking. The only solution was to have one of them cave in and currently, it wasn’t likely to be Mae. Not voluntarily, anyway.

“So I tell you what - you dropped the ball and when I decide to pick it up, you will notice," she offered suddenly, making Scarlett look up at her in surprise. It was a truce and a threat in one and Scarlett knew only few other people who were capable of that sort of thing like Mae was.

"If I decide to do so,” she continued on offhandedly as if it really wasn’t of much concern to her and Scarlett wasn’t sure whether to be relieved or not – because just because Mae didn’t care didn’t mean she wouldn’t do something. "There might be too many choices for me to be able to settle for one. Should I scare you senseless in the middle of the night, or just put salt in your cup of tea? Decisions, decisions..."

And there wasn’t a choice over it at all, not one signified by the drastic fluctuation of the demeanour of Mae’s eyes from malicious to virtuous and again, all Scarlett was left with was the possibility – a very likely one at that – was that Mae would seek revenge, suddenly and swiftly. Though meanwhile, she was going to get everything she can out of just taunting Scarlett and as long as Scarlett kept that game interesting, she could keep Mae at bay.

“You should ask me closer to the time,” she thus answered with a sweet, innocent smile. “I’ll choose and tell you.”

(((OOC: :doh So sorry for the delay, Psyche!)))

Test Subject
#200 Old 28th Oct 2008 at 3:16 PM
((OOC: I'm back ! I know it's a short post but I'm trying to work back into the story at the moment. ))

After a break in the days work, Luke decided that he should find Constance and Emmy and see if it was too late to join them. He didn't like breaking promises, especially to his little niece, so it would be best to at least try and track them down. He wondered if Constance had found her friend yet but put this to the back of his mind as he headed off into town.

Once there, he realised that he actually had a little time to spare and so he made his way to the Saloon for a while to kill a time.
Page 8 of 11