Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2005 at 5:22 PM Last edited by Numenor : 8th Nov 2008 at 9:15 PM. Reason: Added German translation
Default Sims 2 start to finish Object Creation Tutorial V 2.1 - UPD 22 feb 06
By: JWoods, Numenor, Lethe_s & IgnorantBliss

IMPORTANT - The tutorial is based on the creation of a dining table,
but CAN be used to create different objects; however, you should use this tutorial
only to create non-animated objects, with single-state textures
(NO clean/dirty or lit/unlit objects)

-----------------------------------------------------------

07 NOV 2008 - Added German (Deutsch) translation for the Milkshape tutorial (V. 2.1) by "magicdawn"

------------------------------------------------------------

List of available tutorials in this thread:
  • Object Creation tutorial V.2.1 (Milkshape) (English) - UPD 22 feb 2006 -> Split in 2 parts
  • Object Creation tutorial V.2.1 (Wings 3D) (English) - UPD 22 feb 2006 -> Split in 2 parts
  • Object Creation tutorial V.2.1 (Blender 3D) (English) - UPD 22 feb 2006 -> Split in 2 parts
  • Object Creation tutorial V.2.0 (Milkshape) (Italian) - UPD 05 sept 2005
  • Object Creation tutorial V.1.0 (Milkshape) (English) - UPD 03 may 2005
  • Object Creation tutorial V.1.0 (Milkshape) (French) - UPD 03 may 2005
  • Object Creation tutorial V.2.1 (Milkshape) (Norwegian) -> Split in 2 parts
  • Object Creation tutorial V.2.1 (Milkshape) (German) -> Split in 2 parts

All the tutorials are provided in PDF format.

------------------------------------------------------------

(Original JWood's post follows)
In these new tutorial's you will learn to create a new "Dining Room Table" that is color enabled and E.P. ready. You will also learn how to work with SimPe's new "GUI" in the object creation aspect. You will also learn basic UV mapping and texturing.
We wrote these tutorials to try and help the ambitious new "object maker" get a hands on "how too" on creating a Sims 2 color-enabled E.P. ready object's. With the added "Wings 3D" and "Blender 3D" versions you have a greater array of choices as to which 3D editor better suits you.
The tutorials teach the process we use, we do not claim it to be "the only way". It is based on the success we have had using this procedure. You will learn every aspect of creation from picking a good object to "clone" to saving your final package and viewing it in the game as a complete object.
We will answer any questions you have here but please do not ask questions if you have not read the entire tutorial. They are mainley image based asside from the introduction's which we think is as important as the actual directions.
:idea: If you are already capable of making a mesh, Numenor and I have co-written another tutorial for creating quick color enabled objects.
You can find it here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=52499
:read: Again I will stress do not miss a step, most error's we find are due to missing a step. The process must be followed "Exactly". Sometimes we want to add a little of our own creativity to even the newest of things. This is exactly how I make and have made on timeless accounts...
We will not be checking faulty packages in this thread unless they are strictly related with this tutorial. In our efforts to organize things a bit, a new forum called "Object Creation Workshop and Repair Center" has been created for trouble packages. Any uploads or posts not to do with the tutorial this thread covers will be deleted. This is to help "us" help you...
NOTE To all users: Please take the time to look through the threads pages for answers to your questions before posting... A great many questions I am answering over and over that are right here in the thread... I am always happy to help but please help me out and read the posts before hand.. Thank you...

Temp. link to "UVMapper Classic":
http://www.uvmapper.com/downloads.html

----------
Tutorials:Sims_2_Start_to_Finish_Object_Creation_Tutorialwiki
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  TS2 Object Creation Tutorial V2.1 (Milkshape) - UPD 22feb06 - PART_1of2.rar (6.97 MB, 25006 downloads)
File Type: rar  TS2 Object Creation Tutorial V2.1 (Milkshape) - UPD 22feb06 - PART_2of2.rar (7.80 MB, 16798 downloads)
File Type: rar  TS2 Object Creation Tutorial V2.1 (Wings 3D) - UPD 22feb06 - PART_1of2.rar (6.21 MB, 8117 downloads)
File Type: rar  TS2 Object Creation Tutorial V2.1 (Wings 3D) - UPD 22feb06 - PART_2of2.rar (2.93 MB, 6093 downloads)
File Type: rar  TS2 Object Creation Tutorial V2.1 (Blender 3D) - UPD 22feb06 - PART_1of2.rar (6.73 MB, 11685 downloads)
File Type: rar  TS2 Object Creation Tutorial V2.1 (Blender 3D) - UPD 22feb06 - PART_2of2.rar (6.17 MB, 9018 downloads)
File Type: rar  TS2 Object Creation Tutorial V1.0 (Milkshape - English).rar (6.80 MB, 3996 downloads)
File Type: rar  La conception d'objets Sims2 V1.0 (Milkshape - French).rar (2.81 MB, 1050 downloads)
File Type: rar  Guida completa creazione oggetti TS2 V2.0 (Milkshape - Italian) - UPD 05set05.rar (4.61 MB, 1973 downloads)
File Type: rar  Start til slutt objekt laging guid_V_2.1_(Milkshape - Norwegian)_-_PART_1of2.rar (2.91 MB, 541 downloads)
File Type: rar  Start til slutt objekt laging guid_V_2.1_(Milkshape - Norwegian)_-_PART_2of2.rar (4.78 MB, 422 downloads)
Attachments Pending Approval
File Type: rar Objekte_Erstellen_V_2.1_(Milkshape_-_German)_-_PART_1of2.rar
File Type: rar Objekte_Erstellen_V_2.1_(Milkshape_-_German)_-_PART_2of2.rar
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 4:09 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 22nd Feb 2006 at 5:04 PM. Reason: Fixed a typo
22 FEB 2006 - All the three English versions of the tutorial have been updated to v.2.1, and now include screenshots from the latest SimPE v.054b

22 FEB 2006 - Added Italian translation for the Milkshape tutorial (V. 2.0) by "Lumen"

22 FEB 2006 - We have decided that this thread badly needed a good clean-up Therefore, all the older posts have been moved away and placed into a separate Archive Thread. Should you ever be in need to re-read some of those old posts, you can browse the Archive.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#3 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 12:39 AM Last edited by kenny : 24th Feb 2006 at 12:50 AM.
A litle problem i have that i hope you can help me with.

But first i want to thank you so much for this wonderful guide.

Thank you. :salute:

Now on to my problem i tried to make a computer desk.

The thing is that is look grey in SimPE and does not show up in the game.
I can buy it and read the text but i don't see any picture in the catalog or when i try to place the desk in the game.

i tried so hard to find out what the problem is but can't seem to find out what it is.

But i postet a pictures of how it looks in simpe, milkshape, uvmapper and the game.

And i followed the guid trought and did just like it told me to do.

And i cloned the cheap computer desk.

Please say that you can help me.

And again Thank you so much.
Screenshots
Part-time Hermit
#4 Old 24th Feb 2006 at 5:24 AM
kenny, in your screenshot I can tell that the invisibility problem is caused by an incorrect mesh name in the Models list in Geometric Data Container. You have named the mesh "pcbord". You should change it to "desk", like the original mesh name was. To do that, click on the Groups tab, then click on "pcbord", edit the name in the box on the right, then click Commit and save the object. This will most likely fix the invisibility problem, even though the catalog image won't be updated automatically. To get a fixed thumbnail, delete the packages in the Thumbnails folder in The Sims 2 folder in My Documents (leave the folder, delete the files inside of it). A new thumbnail will be created the next time you look at the object in the game catalog.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 6:02 AM
I have tried to download "TS2 Object Creation Tutorial V2.1 (Milkshape) - UPD 22feb06 - PART_1of2.rar " when I try to extract it. I get a message "the file is corrupt"...and another message "unexpected end of archive" what does this mean??

Please do not upload my creations to any pay sites or the exchange. Do not include my meshes with recolors. Uploading in lots is fine on MTS2 only.

Come and check out my other creations at Thesimszone. http://www.thesimszone.co.uk/files/index.php?Section=53
Part-time Hermit
#6 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 6:10 AM
Did you wait until it was fully downloaded before opening the file? If so, take a look at this post, some other people have been problems downloading, as well.
Field Researcher
#7 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 6:34 AM
Yes I waited until it was fully downloaded..I tried it 3 times downloading the rar file. Then I tried it with Q-Xpress install (twice)..there it stopped about 1/3 of the way through , and said there was an error (CRC error). I went to the "problems with downloading" page and everything worked there for me. Now what?

Please do not upload my creations to any pay sites or the exchange. Do not include my meshes with recolors. Uploading in lots is fine on MTS2 only.

Come and check out my other creations at Thesimszone. http://www.thesimszone.co.uk/files/index.php?Section=53
Test Subject
#8 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 8:05 AM
this tutorial is amazingly helpful, thank you very much, i had a problem, with the invisible object aswell, but then i fixed it up and now it works, amazing that SimPE is capable of doing this, b4 there was a seperate prog to do it
Part-time Hermit
#9 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 10:06 AM
MissWendy, if you PM me your email address, I can try emailing the first part of the Milkshape tutorial to you .
The ModFather
retired moderator
#10 Old 25th Feb 2006 at 10:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MissWendy
Yes I waited until it was fully downloaded..I tried it 3 times downloading the rar file. Then I tried it with Q-Xpress install (twice)..there it stopped about 1/3 of the way through , and said there was an error (CRC error). I went to the "problems with downloading" page and everything worked there for me. Now what?

MissWendy - Some older rar archiver (I can't say for the Q-Xpress) don't manage correctly rar with long names, or placed in deeply nested folders.

After having downloaded it, *before* unpacking it, rename the rar, making the filename shorter; and possibly move it in a "simple" location, like "C:\". Then, try unpacking it again.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#11 Old 26th Feb 2006 at 5:22 PM
what is the program you open it in
hey i dont know what file you open the totorials with can you send me a downlode :hover: :hover: :hover: :hover: or could you just give me a link
Part-time Hermit
#12 Old 26th Feb 2006 at 5:58 PM
See this FAQ topic on how to install rar files.
Test Subject
#13 Old 26th Feb 2006 at 7:34 PM
Help
Im new to this site and I dont know how to make my own thread. I was wondering why my rar files always have the paint logo on them. Help me please! :smash:
Part-time Hermit
#14 Old 26th Feb 2006 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ebilxbarbie
Im new to this site and I dont know how to make my own thread. I was wondering why my rar files always have the paint logo on them. Help me please! :smash:

For downloading and rar file help, go to the help forums. To post a new thread, click on the New Thread button you see at the top and bottom of forums.
#15 Old 26th Feb 2006 at 9:20 PM Last edited by Kylan : 26th Feb 2006 at 9:38 PM.
Numenor I am experimenting a problem at the beginning of the tutorial. When I open the object workshop and press start after it searches the files it only shows me a "others" category and there is no "surfaces" nor "tables" under it. Here are 2 screenshots:
http://users.adelphia.net/~javier.l.../spescreen1.jpg
http://users.adelphia.net/~javier.l.../spescreen2.jpg

:wave: (Update) I found out and corrected the problem. If any of you has it here is where I found the solution: http://sims.ambertation.de/en/faq/#43b6b23711
Field Researcher
#16 Old 27th Feb 2006 at 9:07 PM Last edited by MissWendy : 27th Feb 2006 at 9:13 PM.
[IMG][/IMG] When I try to register my tutorial table this is the message I get and I cannot register it....what have I done wrong? ( the message is : The underlying connection was closed. The remote name could not be resolved.)

Field Researcher
#17 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 12:43 AM
I did it!! I created the table!! Woohoo! Thank you so much for this tutorial. There's no stopping me now..lookout! Thank you IgnorantBliss for your help and for sending me the file. <<dancing around room>>

Part-time Hermit
#18 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 4:52 AM
Congratulations on your first object!
Field Researcher
#19 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 4:51 PM
I have a question..."In the BMP Export Options" for the table I entered 256x512 for the size of the texture map...Is that the same size for every object? If I wanted to make a statue or a couch, do I still enter 256x512? If not, how do I know what size?

Part-time Hermit
#20 Old 28th Feb 2006 at 4:56 PM
No, you can use different sizes (128 x 128, 512 x 1024, and so on). If you use the DDS Utilities for importing your texture (see Numenor's object recoloring tutorial for that that) you can use a texture of a different size than that of the original object. As a general rule, small objects use small textures, big objects big textures. Whatever you need for that particular object to have good texture quality, keeping in mind that large textures use both more bandwidth (while downloading) and game resources.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 2:16 AM
Hello...I tried to make a bakers rack today (twice), but both times it did not show up in the game...any idea as to why?? Is there a step that I missed?

Part-time Hermit
#22 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 4:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MissWendy
Hello...I tried to make a bakers rack today (twice), but both times it did not show up in the game...any idea as to why?? Is there a step that I missed?

If that's an Open For Business item, I can't say. Neither I nor Numenor have the new expansion pack yet, so at this point it's hard to say what might be the reason .
Field Researcher
#23 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 5:28 AM
no it is not an OFB item...I just wanted to make one to put a microwave on... I tried to clone the talking table to make it.

Field Researcher
#24 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 8:11 AM
Hi ..It's me again! I made a sculpture and it did turn out in the game, BUT now it also replaced the original sculpture. So basically I have 2 of my sculptures and no maxis one (the running man wooden sculpture) How do I get back the original item and only keep one of mine???

Part-time Hermit
#25 Old 2nd Mar 2006 at 9:11 AM
By "not showing up in the game" do you mean there is no trace of your object in the catalog at all, or it's in the catalog, but invisible?

Objects that replace the original are usually missing a new GUID. Did you get a new GUID, and also update the MMATs, and commit?
Page 1 of 58