Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 2:53 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons
Default Replacing/locating a downloaded file
The short version: I would LOVE some help to figure out the name of a download so that I can overwrite it with a new file.

Long version: I played Sims 2 extensively this summer and downloaded a great number of eye colours, skins, hairs, etc – and kept as many readme files as I could. I had a major hard drive failure, however, and all that remains is what I uploaded to my site – which was just three Sims. I re-introduced them to my new when I recently reinstalled it, but forgot to change the eye colours that I no longer like at all.

I know I can't change the genetics, that much I've found out after extensive searching, but is there any way to replace the actual file? Because the old readme files are all gone, I don't know the name of the file nor where I found it. I get that it should be easy to replace it (right?) if I just had the name of it, but how do I find out?

I very badly want to keep these Sims but I very much want their eye colours to be a custom set I'm making, more realistic for my new game. I do know I can use makeup on top to hide the actual colour but would vastly prefer an eye-colour that actually tags along when the Sims have children.

The colour is

Can I figure this out through SimPE somehow? Or does anyone know another way to do it? Help, I'm getting desperate. These eyes are spreading through my second generation now and I just want them replaced. (No insult intended to the creator – they're very nice eyes, just not the style I want right now. I want to do my own content as far as possible).
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 2:56 AM
Yes. Open up Simpe. Under the tools menu, you'll see 'scan file folders' or something. Click on that and then locate your downloads folder. When you click scan, be sure to include the captions in the options. Then, find the caption 'by choas...' and click "disable" in the options. You can find the file then because it will be named ....packagedisabled.

If you need any help just drop me a line.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 4:34 AM Last edited by Enayla : 22nd Dec 2005 at 4:49 AM.
Thank you SO much!

I think I might have messed up though. I used SimPE to find the name of the file (I located the thumbnail, the name of it was 3b3b4b5b7c581c. I then, probably stupidly, quit SimPE and just took the eye colour I wanted to use and renamed that file to the same name as the one I wanted to replace. After that, I pasted the new file over the old.

Alas, something seems to have messed up badly. The eyes of the Sim are now the same colour as another Sim on the lot - which isn't the colour I was replacing with, at all. I just don't get what I did wrong. Should I restore to the old version of the downloads (I have a safety copy) and try to find some other way than this?

Thank you again.

[Edit] In essence, I seem to have simply removed the eye colour by doing this, as I can no longer locate it in Body Shop. I obviously did the wrong thing. I just don't know how to do it right.
Test Subject
#4 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 5:49 AM
Aw sorry, I'm not good at trying to explain things to people. lol. And i skimmed too fast and didn't see that you wanted to replace the file instead of just deleting it. I think that things get screwy if you try to just rename things. Okay, I'm pretty sure that just renaming the actual files doesn't do anything, because the way that they are linked to sims and other things is through different coding within the package itself (which is a big fat pain to change).

I think when you pasted the new file that you wanted over the old file, it made it so that the sims couldn't find either file anymore. As for bodyshop. Hm. Bodyshop can get iffy with files (well it does for me at least).

What you could do is replace the images in the package files. If you have the actual image of the eye you are working on, you can locate the old file that you want to replace in your backup downloads, make a copy of it so that if you mess up you still have a fresh one, and then open it up in simpe.

When it's loaded, you'll see 'texture image' in the drop down menu under 'all resources' in the resource tree box. If you click on 'texture image', and then click on what comes up on the right hand side, you will see the image of the eye. You can then right click on that image, and choose 'import image'. Then, find the image that you are currently working on when the browser comes up. Then, after it is replaced, click on 'commit' and exit out of simpe.

If you don't have an image of the eyes you want anymore, you can export it out of SimPE the same way you would import a photo and save it to your hard drive.

It would also be best to make copies of both files so that if you make a mistake you can start over again. If you still have problems with it, you can email me at [email protected] with both files (tell me which one you want to use lol) and i'll see if I can do anything. Good luck! :wave:
Object(ive) Investigator
retired moderator
#5 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 6:25 AM
You could change the sims themselves:
  1. Use them to create sims in game (one each), but change their eyes to what you want.
  2. Use SimSurgery to export them to bodyshop.
  3. Delete the originals
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Dec 2005 at 9:58 AM Last edited by Enayla : 22nd Dec 2005 at 10:42 AM.
Yaay! Replacing the image file worked. My Sim now has beautiful eyes, and I needn't worry about bad genetics carrying undesirable eyes to his children.

Since his girl is pregnant, I didn't want to have to mess with the actual Sims, and especially not if the kid was going to inherit his children... but this worked out flawlessly. Thank you SO much!