Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #3 - posted on 20th Oct 2017 at 10:54 PM
Locked thread | Replies: 1398 (Who?), Viewed: 156241 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: Please refer to the ACTIVE THREAD ([url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=104795)[/url]. This is only an archive of old posts.
Page 2 of 56
Scholar
#26 Old 30th Apr 2005 at 8:51 AM
If you zoom or scroll too far in one of the windows and lose sight of the object, you can right-click in that window and choose "Frame All" to bring it back
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 30th Apr 2005 at 10:59 AM
Thanks Dr Pixel, I'll remember that for next time :D

Jack, I have a mesh :jig: It isn't perfect, but it is at least a mesh. I think I can use Dr Pixel's tut on how to altering a mesh to fix it. Anyhow you have cured me from my Milkshape fear, thank you :D
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 30th Apr 2005 at 11:10 AM
TEKNAKOLAIR: I think I know where you got lost because I also had problems with the step between Mesh Tool and SimPE. It is not the new SimPE file you created with mesh tool you are to open in the first step. You are first to open a .package file that you created way earlier in the tut. Look again at the section called "Naming and saving package:" Here you saved a .package file, and like me you might have saved it in your Downloads folder. This is the one to open first.
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#29 Old 30th Apr 2005 at 2:54 PM
Thanks Dr. Pixel for the added information... Lyran, Thanks for your input too... I knew you could do it.... This tutorial is mainly to get anyone started that is a "newbie"... There is Dr. Pixels Tutorial and one other I remember seeing that will more advance you into object making(these guys did a nice job on there's)...
Test Subject
#30 Old 30th Apr 2005 at 5:51 PM
This is really a wonderful tutorial and many thanks for taking all the time in including UV mapping which is for many still a nightmare. Also, thanks for explaining about not checking the V2 block.
Great job!!
#31 Old 30th Apr 2005 at 7:00 PM
I am downloading it now. I know how to make a 3d object, but I don't know how to get it in the game. Hope this helps.
#32 Old 30th Apr 2005 at 10:44 PM
How do you get Delphy's Mesh Extractor
How do you get the mesh extractor tool. I have followed the links, but I keep getting that I do not have permission. Is that because I do not have enough posts? :confused:

-dkimber
Lab Assistant
#33 Old 30th Apr 2005 at 11:11 PM
dkimber: You don't need any mesh extractor tool, I believe that is built into SimPE nowadays. I was looking like mad for it the other day myself.

Here is a pic of my boombox, I am glad I managed to create one. The mesh isn't perfect, there are some tiny glitches that need to be fixed. I also wonder if it isn't possible to create an UV-map that EXACTLY displays the area to texture. I had forgotten how much I hate it when the mesh stretches my texture in a way I can't control.
Screenshots
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#34 Old 30th Apr 2005 at 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkimber
How do you get the mesh extractor tool. I have followed the links, but I keep getting that I do not have permission. Is that because I do not have enough posts? :confused:

-dkimber

If you mean how to extract your obj. just click the "export object" button in SimPE/GMDC/plugin view

If it is the mesh tool you need you can get it here... http://meshtool.modthesims2.com/MTS2MeshTool.zip

Lyran: looks awesome.... You all are making my "Boom Box" look bad... LOL
I am really happy to see that too...

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Test Subject
#35 Old 1st May 2005 at 1:04 AM
Very Nice Job Lyran!!!
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 1st May 2005 at 1:17 AM
Thank you Spiritwolf, I am glad you liked it. Especially since I think yours looks fantastic :D
#37 Old 2nd May 2005 at 4:40 AM
I made two boomboxes, but they're both coming out blurry in the game. Does anyone know why? :confused:

-Dawn
Test Subject
#38 Old 2nd May 2005 at 7:14 AM
Glad to see this. I have been waiting for something like this to pop up since, well, look at my join date <-. Downloading the tutorial now and hopefully on my way to making objects. Kudos, JWoods. Much appreciated.
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#39 Old 3rd May 2005 at 1:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkimber
I made two boomboxes, but they're both coming out blurry in the game. Does anyone know why? :confused:

-Dawn

There are two reasons I know that make blurry mesh's, one is that the texture size is to small and two the U.V. mapping is incorrectly done...

Is your texture map 512*512? If you would like to upload the file I would be happy to take a look at it...

I will be going out of town for a day, possibly two but will take a look if it is here tonight. If not there are others well capable of helping you here once your package is up...

#40 Old 3rd May 2005 at 3:35 AM
I uploaded the package files and the UV maps. If you can take a look at them for me. I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#41 Old 3rd May 2005 at 3:57 AM
I took a look at the files and by what I saw the texture maps included were 512*512. The texture maps in your packages were 256*256 it looks to me as you may have imported the 256*256 map resized in your paint program or maybe forgot to "update all sizes" after you imported your texture... I fixed them both and they are both fine now...

#42 Old 3rd May 2005 at 4:18 AM
Thanks. I appreciate it.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 3rd May 2005 at 8:13 PM
First I would like to thank JW Woods for this wonderful, and I must say easiest to follow tutorial that I have ever seen, you did a fantastic job on this and you deserve a BIG pat on the back, or at least a bunch of HUGS & KISSES .

I have read the tutorial at least 5 times to make sure I was understanding what you were explaining before I attempt to try it, and all came out find till I got to the UVMapper part. My UVMapper is different than the one you have in the tutorial, so I went back and downloaded the Classic one. Went back to the tutorial and tried it again, and again my item did not come out like it should have....I am having trouble with the texturing of the boom box, everything goes great till I get to the part of UVMaping. I open the boomboxUVmapper in PSP8 do my texturing, then in SimPE I export my Image and then save my boomboxUVmapper as the exported image and then Import it back into SimPE and update all sizes, commit and save....I then open the game to view the object and everything is fine but the texture...it shows up white with horizontal, vertical lines. None of my texturing shows up, I know it has to be something that I am doing wrong in PSP8. Is there any way you or some one else give me some tips on working with the UVmapper in PSP8? I know I am asking alot. Hey I am still amazed at even still making something that shows in the game...Thank you so much for the great tutorial.

Make a friend today and put a smile on your face! Lady De's Sims 2
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#44 Old 3rd May 2005 at 11:31 PM
LadyDe: I took a look at the tutorial today and noticed a mistake with the texture size, it should be 256*256. I had changed this to 512*512 to give more detail. I use dds. format when importing textures which enables the user to import any size map divisible by 2. IE 64*512, 512*512, and so on). It also has better quality then png. format. Last of all dds format allows you to save the texture from your paint program as any name you want to. When you right click and choose to "import dds" your file nomatter it's name will revert to the texture name in your package and create the mip maps.

I use to import using png images and forgot that most new creator's and re-colorers do in fact use and import png format.

I am sorry for the mistake and any confusion it may have caused...

I have also removed the URL and only kept the package containing the tutorial. It is just to hard to maintain my threads, the tutorial, my current projects and the web based tutorial. I kept the word format zip due to the fact that it can be printed, it is smaller in size and very versitle. The link on the intial thread to the "MS Word Viewer" can open the tutorial as well as being capable of printing the tutorial with your printer. I also think it is better to have the "Word Document" format so folks can use it even is they are not on-line for some givin reason...
Test Subject
#45 Old 3rd May 2005 at 11:50 PM
LadyDe: To get around this using a png file where it says MipMap Level: add one the the number if ur only increasing by 1. By this i mean if the biggest image size is 256x256 and you want to use a 512x512 add one to the number in the box say its 10 you would make it 11 then click Build Default MipMap at the bottom. Then import your texture as normal.
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#46 Old 4th May 2005 at 12:01 AM
spiritwolf; thank's, you are correct indeed... I am so use to using dds that I forgot the little tricks . That will also help anyone with the issue of 256*256 being to small though it is the original size of the texture that the clone base "boombox" uses....
Lab Assistant
#47 Old 4th May 2005 at 8:05 PM
OMG.....I did it....I just can not believe this....OOOOOO thank you so much JWWoods and Spiritwolf....XOXOXOXO...SO MUCH

One thing ya will get a good laugh out of this one. JW, you know in your tutoiral where you write about "we could add more things like knobs and tuner plate and all,wellll oh smarty pants me thought I would try it....and I did it, but I put the dang things on the wrong side in the "front" view. I ended up putting them on the back side. Big dummy me, but I was so tickled that I did it that I just had to laugh at myself.

But here it is....I just thougth the two of you would get a good laugh out of this. I was just proud of myself that I could do it, now I am gonna go back and change my BIG boo boo. Again, thank you two so much, and thank you JW for writing this great tutorial. Hope to see you do some more....(hint, hint)LOL
Screenshots

Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#48 Old 4th May 2005 at 8:45 PM
Very well done!!! Though the knobs were misplaced and gave you a bit of a laugh it also helped you learn through your own mistake... It is from our mistakes we learn more so in all actuality mistakes are a good thing...

Another fine looking radio and texture, very nice job...
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 4th May 2005 at 9:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWoods
Very well done!!! Though the knobs were misplaced and gave you a bit of a laugh it also helped you learn through your own mistake... It is from our mistakes we learn more so in all actuality mistakes are a good thing...

Another fine looking radio and texture, very nice job...

You are so right about learning from our mistakes. I also learned how to play around with MilkShape and I have lost all my fears of the program. Again, thank you so much. You can count yourself as a very good teacher.

I followed Spiritwolf's instruction on the imaging and it worked great, thanks Lady for that help.

Forum Resident
#50 Old 4th May 2005 at 9:46 PM
Thank you for the Tut.. I might get to be productive after all.. LOL

Makai
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 56