Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM
Locked thread | Replies: 1398 (Who?), Viewed: 156292 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: Please refer to the ACTIVE THREAD ([url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=104795)[/url]. This is only an archive of old posts.
Page 3 of 56
Test Subject
#51 Old 4th May 2005 at 11:20 PM
Your welcome LadyDe! Your box came out very nice!!
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 5th May 2005 at 10:56 AM
Very nice work LadyDe
Lab Assistant
#53 Old 5th May 2005 at 2:46 PM
Thanks Lyran, and Spiritwolf. Lyran, that one you made is so pretty. And again thank you Spiritwolf on that simple explaination of working with the imaging process.
Test Subject
#54 Old 5th May 2005 at 6:43 PM
Default wicked
JUST WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR

your awesome, you have answered my question

well done by the way
Field Researcher
#55 Old 5th May 2005 at 11:36 PM
any chance of getting a WinZIP file for this tutorial
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#56 Old 5th May 2005 at 11:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ead425
any chance of getting a WinZIP file for this tutorial

That is getting to be a popular question here on MTS2. Instead of zipping a new file I will provide you with this link...

http://www.ultimatezip.com/download.htm

This "un-zipper" will open all the files here on MTS2 (WinZip & RAR) as well as many more you may run into in the future...

Reading is the key to all knowledge, math is the key to everything.
Test Subject
#57 Old 6th May 2005 at 2:45 PM
What an amazing job you did!! Thank you so much for sharing your 'secrets' :D

Bella
#58 Old 7th May 2005 at 8:22 AM
hey JWood. On pg 29 of your tutorial you said to save it as a .obj file. But when I click my down arrow there is no Maya Object file [*.obj]. The is only .package. Is there a plug in or something that will let me save it as a .obj or something?
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
#59 Old 7th May 2005 at 10:54 AM
The "Maya Object file" and the ".obj" are the same things.
Save it as "Maya".
Mesh Maestro
DELETED POST
Original Poster
7th May 2005 at 4:19 PM
This message has been deleted by JWoods.
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#60 Old 7th May 2005 at 10:12 PM
After much discussion and trying to figure out which end is up, we've decided that all tutorials should indeed stay in the tutorials forum. The mesh tool tutorials and career tutorials have sort of been excuded from that policy, and it's making for very very long lists of sticky threads.

Off it goes then. Sorry for any confusion.

RG
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#61 Old 7th May 2005 at 11:22 PM
I agree, I always wondered "why not put them all there"...

I also would like to thank RGiles for not only taking the time to do this but also for converting the turorial to PDF format. As if that wasn't kind enough he has also housed it in his own personal web space for downloading access, it can be found on the first page of this thread.
Thanks again to him...
#62 Old 8th May 2005 at 1:17 AM
but u don't understand, there is no maya object file, there is no .obj, there is only .package
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#63 Old 8th May 2005 at 1:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafia man
but u don't understand, there is no maya object file, there is no .obj, there is only .package

I think you may be looking in the file menu, does this help you?
Screenshots

Test Subject
#64 Old 8th May 2005 at 2:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwolf
Your welcome LadyDe! Your box came out very nice!!

Spiritwolf, I loooove your avatar!
How did you do that?
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 8th May 2005 at 1:43 PM
Yikes I have been really making a rod for my own back in making objects - I always thought that all vertices had to be link - otherwise you get a little line where they meet (where the UVmap doesn't cover) how do people get around this?! If I don't spend hours welding the vertices together my objects just don't look right when I texture them!!
#66 Old 8th May 2005 at 3:06 PM
I can't see the images on that tutorial.
Test Subject
#67 Old 8th May 2005 at 4:39 PM
I have the same problem as LadyDe with PaintPro8 - my textures turn out white with horizontal stripes. I'm sure I've tried all sizes of .png files, but it still won't work. I can't do a clone of the radio as SimPE says there's an error and there are far more textures listed than in the tutorial - it's definitely the right object, but maybe I did something wrong when first exporting this - I'm starting from absolutely nil knowledge of these things! So, I tried an end table instead, same sort of details as the radio. Thought I'd substitute a simple cube for it, made one, used Milkshape and UVMapper, got right to the end - and couldn't get the texture to show up! Or at least, just once it actually did but it wasn't in the game. Usually the texture's on the page after import, but the preview is white and when I go back into the page with the import button the picture of the texture has gone to white with blue stripes. Is there any way I can just play around on this import/export page just to test what will show up in the preview, and then hope it's in the game? And what's a dds file, it's not listed in PSP8, should I be making one?

I can recolour an object just by using the wizard in SimPE and making it one colour only , so I'm sure I'm using the the right number of colours and this RGB thing - but I just don't know enough to see where I'm going wrong, and after a week of trying it's driving me mad!
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#68 Old 8th May 2005 at 4:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitashy
I can't see the images on that tutorial.

On which tutorial? I just looked at both downloadable versions on two machines they show fine here...

Did you mean something on the site here? If so look up at the top of all threads, there is a message:

Downloads and thumbnails are currently OFF while we perform some upgrades to that system. They will be back soon.

[QUOTE=Aimoss]Yikes I have been really making a rod for my own back in making objects - I always thought that all vertices had to be link - otherwise you get a little line where they meet (where the UVmap doesn't cover) how do people get around this?! If I don't spend hours welding the vertices together my objects just don't look right when I texture them!!

If I notice a tiny line on the outer edges of a texture I do one of two things:

1. I will, if applicable, paint or stretch a bit over the bordering lines...

2. If need be I erase the lines or paint them matching the color of the pixels nearest to the line that is unwanted.

If this is not what your getting at then please post the texture or a picture of what you mean...

It is always best to weld your vertices in my opinion but it being a basic tutorial for begginers relying on regrouping the shapes has proven to be sufficient for the object that the tutorial produces...

It is also important when adding verts to be sure to create a face(triangle) and not leave open vertices this will make for a sloppy mesh with a good possibility of "holes in your mesh.

Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#69 Old 8th May 2005 at 4:54 PM
If you have a problem with something please read through the thread first.
Below is a quote from the second page that answers your question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwolf
LadyDe: To get around this using a png file where it says MipMap Level: add one the the number if ur only increasing by 1. By this i mean if the biggest image size is 256x256 and you want to use a 512x512 add one to the number in the box say its 10 you would make it 11 then click Build Default MipMap at the bottom. Then import your texture as normal.

DDS is another image format that I use oppossed to PNG. It is a matter of personal choice here...

To use in PSP follow the below instructions...

1. Make a directory in your Paint Shop Pro directory called Plug-ins.
For example:
C:\Program Files\Jasc Software Inc\Paint Shop Pro 7\Plug-ins
The directory above is what I have on my machine, yours might differ.
When I refer to this directory subsequently, please use the one that makes
sense for your computer.
2. Head to the following website and download the "dds photoshop plug-in"
AND "these required DLLs".
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/...ture_tools.html
3. Dump the contents of the "dds photoshop plug-in" into the plug-ins
directory you made.
4. Dump the contents of "these required DLLs" into the Windows\System
folder.

Test Subject
#70 Old 8th May 2005 at 5:20 PM
Thanks, I'll try that. Yes, I did read all the threads, and try increasing the number when using a png file, and no, it didn't work.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'm on my way to try this now.....
Test Subject
#71 Old 8th May 2005 at 7:49 PM
New texture still doesn't show up in the game, only the original texture. Still, I suppose I'm lucky it now shows up in the preview!

Everything looks good in the preview, new shape and textures - but when I put it in the game, the thumbnail is correct but the actual object carries the old object's texture.
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#72 Old 8th May 2005 at 10:02 PM
if you would like to upload your package I will happily take a look at it....
Test Subject
#73 Old 8th May 2005 at 10:36 PM
Thanks, I'd appreciate it. Here it is, (as you can see, by now I'd run out of patience naming the files!) - it's based on the Cornerstone Sentinel End Table, and the box replacing it is a simple box with 6 different coloured sides. It shows up fine as far as the thumbnail in the game - but on placing it in the game it's still the original wood texture.
Mesh Maestro
Original Poster
#74 Old 8th May 2005 at 11:04 PM
I am going to take a look at it... let you know in a bit..
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
#75 Old 8th May 2005 at 11:18 PM
DYLAN:
The table you chose to clone is "slave" of the Club Distress Square Coffee Table (i.e. it "borrows" all the textures from the coffe table); therefore, the custom textures that you included in the package are ignored.
You should clone again the end table, but this time check the option "Create a stand-alone object".
IMPORTANT: SimPE will pull by mistake two Material Override instead of one; just delete one of them.

Next time, if you are in doubt if an object is "slave" to another one, download the "Recolourable_And_Excluded_Objects" file from the main CEP thread.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 56