Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 5 (Who?), Viewed: 868 times.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 2:14 AM
Default Video Codec problem
Hi there,
I am trying to capture video's of my sims but the game keeps telling me that I am missing the required video codec and video compression can not be used? No only do I not know what this means after doing 6 hours of reseach on video codec via google and several other search engins I am still none the wiser as to how to fix this problem.
It also informs me to read the readme.txt which will inform me how to fix the problem. However I cant find this file and I have been through all of the expansion pack movie folders (and all the other folders) on both the ea folder on the C drive and in my docs. I cant find anything resembling anything about video codec.
I know you guys are incredibly knowledgable about all things sims so I'm not panicking just yet!
Hope you have a great day!
Thanks in advance for any help you can give!
Carladam

~Hold tenderly that which you cherish~
Advertisement
Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
staff: moderator
#2 Old 14th Mar 2006 at 6:34 AM
Hmmmm, that is odd because the codec is a custom one that is supposed to install with the game. I'm not sure how to remedy this but will take a look and let you know if I find out anything.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Mar 2006 at 7:35 AM
Oh thank you Julianarosalia! How sweet are you! I'd really appreciate it!

#4 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 6:15 PM
Carladam, Here's what I've found. The readme.txt file is located in "Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\Support\en-us". And here's what it says about video capturing/codecs...

"*Advanced Tips: All the video capture settings default values are in an .ini file that you can edit. You can modify things like capture frame rate, default folder to capture to, file naming, capture size, max bit rate, and preferred codecs. Want to capture in a different codec? Just install the codec and then make it the preferred codec. The file is located here: My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ConfigVideoCapture.ini."

"Sharing video captures with friends but they cannot view the video? The codec we are including on disk is the On2 VP6.1. On2 Technologies, Inc. offers free downloads of VP6.2 for personal use. In our tests, it appears to be seamlessly backwards compatible with VP6.1. Please visit the On2 Technologies website for more information."

Here's the link to On2 Technologies downloads site .

Hope this helps and good luck.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 16th Mar 2006 at 9:44 PM
Thanks darls! Wonderful! I'll check it out!

#6 Old 17th Mar 2006 at 12:51 AM
Glad I could help.

Section jump