Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 7 (Who?), Viewed: 932 times.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 5:12 AM
Default How to edit material override?
How to edit material override?

I'm at a point wondering if certain properties of a material is limited by material override

I've tried to add or delete, but can't sort it easily without deleting the previous ones and fill them back in afterwards. But, seeimingly, neither way seems to work, or that it just doesn't work for editting the override. :confused:
Advertisement
The Resident Bunny
staff: retired moderator
#2 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 9:32 AM
Can you be more specific what exactly you want to do with the Material Overrides? Based on my understanding, MMATs are only used when a subset is made recolorable and/or when it's a state-changing subset. I don't think it in any way affects the material qualities of the subset, which are definied in the Material Definition. Which properties of the material are you talking about?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 11:26 AM
I meant the uncommon properties of the txmt...
MMAT seems to affect how txmt is recognised. So, I guess if any particular set of properties in TXMT has to link through it in order for the recognition.

So, I tried to add some lines from yet another objects to the one I'm interested in in the hope of getting the additional properties recognised

Also, can I also add more than 1 type of xml with the same guid ID to the same package file? Say, adding some object xml, floor xml, face arch xml etc... into a package with their guid ID all linked to the same one...?model name linked to the same or a fixed set of meshes?

Anyway, presently, I assume the instance number and group numbers are something to help organise where to store the files or how to sort them in a package file...

Well, I know I'm going bonker on this. Guess, I'll try this in a testing game copy.
Instructor
#4 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 12:07 PM
Quote:
MMAT seems to affect how txmt is recognised.
I have the same feeling
Name is name of a TXMT, objectGUID is GUID of master tile, subsetName is the name of subset to apply this material too. Never tried to alter others so far (except family - should be unique - and defaultMaterial - just one of MMATs per subset should have True).
Quote:
So, I tried to add some lines from yet another objects to the one I'm interested in in the hope of getting the additional properties recognised

Did I got it right - you wanted to reference the TXMTs from another object? If yes, then it is done in GMND, not in MMAT - via tsMaterialsMeshName setting.
The Resident Bunny
#5 Old 18th Mar 2006 at 5:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by niol
I meant the uncommon properties of the txmt...
MMAT seems to affect how txmt is recognised. So, I guess if any particular set of properties in TXMT has to link through it in order for the recognition.

I'm feeling a bit dense today, but what do you mean by "uncommon properties of the TXMT"? Can you give me a concrete example of what kind of objects and properties you're talking about? Are you trying to link objects together, or copying properties, and what kind?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 19th Mar 2006 at 3:56 PM
Jasana_BugBreeder,

That's a good idea, I may try that. But, presently, I've added some uncommon properties to the txmt hopefully in order to add certain effects to a particular recolour.

IgnorantBliss,

Sorry, I've been really dumb lately.. forgot to elaborate/clarify what I'm thinking....I meant properties like
waterSpeed
wmReflectionTexture
These are for water effect...
The ModFather
#7 Old 19th Mar 2006 at 9:22 PM
Niol, why do you think that the MMAT is capable of changing the way the game treats a TXMT? As far as I know, IgnorantBliss is right: the Material Override is exactly what its name suggests: it overrides the default material (as defined in the "Material Definition" field of the Shape), and forces the game to use another Material Definition, instead. This can only be done vie the game catalog, and therefore it can affect only the recolourable subset.

The *only* parameter in the MMAT that still is quite obscure to me is the "type", that is always set (in the Maxis objects) to "modelMaterial"; I'm not sure what it is for, but "modelMaterial" stands for Material Override (hence the acronym "MMAT"): I guess that it just declares the XML as a MMAT.

This btw implies that you can't add in the MMAT other lines taken from different XMLs, because they just don't make sense in a MMAT.

If you are trying to "activate" some less-used features in the TXMT, and it doesn't work, it's not the MMAT to blame, in my opinion.

Remember that, in the TXMT, the entries must always be in alphabetical order (there's a "sort" button in SimPE for this purpose); and I know that the TXMTs have a "type", too (It's in the cMaterialDefinition tab): usually, it's set to "standard material", but there are other values allowed too; if you have found some TXMTs that you like for their effects, try looking at that value, in order to see if actually can change the way the TXMT is recognised by the game.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 20th Mar 2006 at 5:07 AM
Yes, I believe MMAT can be a possible pathway to alter which txmt to use for a given MMAT, but unsure if I can alter the set of properties to be used... That's why I tried to ask here?
Sorry, I guessed I'm still in confusion, so I'm asking things confusingly. :sorry:

when I altered the type in MMAT, the file couldn't show up in the appropriate category.
As for the "modelmaterial", can it be a setting for a group of properties to be recognised by the game engine?

I've tried to switch the type in txmt, and it doesn't seems to help or that I messed something up.for not doing what I want...

By the way, I've collected a few extracts from the material.package in which it contains some xml/C++ definitions of the "material" effects like water, tile, etc... I'm basically trying several different ways to do a few things. I'm looking for some ways to add features to the tiles, terrain paints and wallpapers. Thanks to HCP, most works can be done very easily without modding the files. But, that's also why it's hard to find infos about them...

To make various sizes of a tile set, transparency, patterning, or some common features are so easy now, but there're some types of features like those the pool wallpaper and tiles have, they're still not available yet. N, they happen to be something I want as well.
I just realised genetics can have some other sets of txmt properties...

If they can be mixed, you may find a blinking eye in one of the wallpaper I make... :bandit:

Don't know where to find shpe for tiles, terrain paint and wallpapers....yet
But, tiles seems to be on guid layer 3 or the 'floor"

Section jump