Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Mar 2006 at 5:51 PM
Default How to get rid of external shadows?
Hi everyone
I am wondering how to get rid of the 'outdoor' shadows that show up when we have the options set to high in-game, I know for a fact, that paintings and rugs do not have them... On the object I am creating, I had no problems getting rid of the 'indoor' shadows, I wanted to get rid of the ones outside too... I have tried deleting all the references that point to the shadows, including the ones on the GMND among others, but that doesn't seem to help at all... Can someone light up my path, please?

Do you belive frogs can bite? If not, then you should, because they do! LOL!
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 25th Mar 2006 at 7:20 PM
At first, you should delete the subsets with 'shadow' in name from GMDC - from 2nd-level tab named Groups.
At second, you have to delete it from multiple places in GMND:
- from tsNoShadow block (select it on Contents tab)
- from Edit Blocks tab; and, important - when you delete something from Edit Blocks tab, you must delete the same number of rows from Content/cObjectGraphNode tab, Datalist Extension Reference list
At third, you should delete it from SHPE.
As far as I remember, these were all I deleted in windows objects, and those windows are working in game.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 25th Mar 2006 at 7:37 PM
If you want to get rid of shadows, just tyoe in the following cheat code in the cheat box: boolprop objectShadows false

This will get rid of the shadows on objects outside. (This may not be the answer you're looking for, but if you want to see building shadows but not object ones, then this cheat will be useful)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Mar 2006 at 8:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jasana_BugBreeder
At first, you should delete the subsets with 'shadow' in name from GMDC - from 2nd-level tab named Groups.
At second, you have to delete it from multiple places in GMND:
- from tsNoShadow block (select it on Contents tab)
- from Edit Blocks tab; and, important - when you delete something from Edit Blocks tab, you must delete the same number of rows from Content/cObjectGraphNode tab, Datalist Extension Reference list
At third, you should delete it from SHPE.
As far as I remember, these were all I deleted in windows objects, and those windows are working in game.

Yes, I deleted these, Am I missing something? I should go back to SimPE and do a double check... if it doesn't work I may have to clone another object that hopefuly has no shadows...

@Sim Master: This is not what I am looking for, thanks anyways

Instructor
#5 Old 25th Mar 2006 at 11:58 PM
Quote:
Yes, I deleted these, Am I missing something?
I suppose that you forgot to delete a row from Datalist Extension Reference list, because it's what I forgot to do when removing shadows at first time What is happening with your object - does it crash the game? My did.
Ah, and of course you should delete TXTR and TXMT resources that correspond to shadow.

Another thought - are all subsets of your object listed in GMND/tsNoShadow block with value=0? If not, try to add them.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Mar 2006 at 2:08 AM
No I deleted the row from the Datalist Extension too, deleted all the TXTR and TXMT related to shadows.... I also deleted the GMND/tsNoShadow... perheaps I shouldn't have deleted this one? Hmmmm This is starting to confuse me, the shadows are still showing up with my object

Part-time Hermit
#7 Old 26th Mar 2006 at 5:32 AM
I think removing those aforementioned shadow references only affect the indoor shadows, which are different from the outdoor shadows. The outdoor shadows are generated "on the spot", automatically based on the shape of the object. When you create a new mesh, you don't even need to edit the outdoor shadows in any way, they will automatically work, unlike indoor shadows. I will ask Numenor if he knows anything more about this.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Mar 2006 at 7:43 AM
Thanks IgnorantBliss

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 5:44 AM
It seems there was no luck at this... So I actually decided to finally migrate my object to a shadowless base object... And I found the perfect base object for it, the towels that come with OFB (for several unrelated reasons, that I don't think it's worth explaining here, this is the only object that seems to serve all of the purposes I have been looking for)... However after cloning the towels I found it had no useful TXTR files! Any ideas on why it is like that, and what can I do to solve the problem?!

Part-time Hermit
#10 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 5:48 AM
If there is no texture included, the object is probably "slave" to another object and borrows its textures from that. Probably another similar towel object. To get the textures included in the package, check the "stand-alone object" option when cloning it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 6:28 AM
Thanks so much IgnorantBliss... I had checked all the other towels objects and none of them had the textures... I will be going to try this now and see if it works!

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th Apr 2006 at 7:30 AM
Ok, I did just like you said, it worked perfectly
And to add to my happiness... I just checked in the game, and it has no shadows, inside or outside :D
I am glad my issue is solved! thanks for your help once again!
*runs off to work on my ambicious little project*