Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Testers Wanted: Color Binning Tool 0.2.30.1

by Theo Posted 28th Apr 2006 at 7:14 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:20 PM by Nysha

207 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 199 Feedback Posts, 7 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 1 of 9
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#2 Old 28th Apr 2006 at 7:58 PM
Super plugin!!! I want to get it now!

Currently playing Sims 4 full collection. (and fixing my mods folder)
Field Researcher
#3 Old 28th Apr 2006 at 9:59 PM
Wow that works fast and easy!A much better alternative than the old way in simpe.I just tried it out and it works fantastic.Thank you very much.

Welcome to The Machine
*(`'·.¸(`'·.¸*¤*¸.·'´)¸.·'´)*
»~:¤.·º`·Pink Floyd.·´º·.¤:~«
*(¸.·'´(¸.·'´*¤*`'·.¸)`'·.¸)*
Sarcastic Evil Muppet
retired moderator
#4 Old 28th Apr 2006 at 10:28 PM
Thanks a bunch I'll test this out - I've been wanting to sort my custom hairs into bins but finding out where to start was becoming a headache ;p
Test Subject
#5 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 1:48 AM
I found this plugin about a week ago and I got to tell you that it is so easy to use! Thanks!
Slacker of Immense Slackness
retired moderator
#6 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 2:08 AM
This is fantastic! You have my utmost respect for making an intuitive useful and simple tool Here's hoping this prod's mor clever people into making SimPE plugins!!

<:3))~~ Loverat
"In some cultures what I do is considered normal"

www.loverat.net Check it out for other recolours & lot uploads =D
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 2:59 AM
Now this is one plug-in that shall be the most used! Thank you for creating such a program to make it easier to get things done.
Test Subject
#8 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 2:21 PM
I've been using this for a couple of weeks now (version 2.111 anyway) and haven't had any problems at all. It's fantastic: you've saved me hours of fiddly SimPE editing and the 'Change Appearance' screen is now clear of badly placed recolours.

Another great thing is Sims can now have decent hair styles that fit into the attraction/chemistry aspect of the game.

Thanks so much Theo. Top drawer stuff!

p.s. good tutorial too.

hasta la victoria siempre
Instructor
#9 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 4:17 PM
Wonderful! Thank you very much.

Melissa
Test Subject
#10 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 5:18 PM
Thank you very much for this

-- Cynna
Test Subject
#11 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 6:08 PM
Thank you so much-- I was trying to do it the old way and just kept getting bogged down. I really appreciate this!
Test Subject
#12 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 9:51 PM
Thanks a lot! I tested this tool, it worked perfectly! It's SO convenient!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 29th Apr 2006 at 10:52 PM
Squee! Yay! Downloaded and colour binned correctly my favourite custom hair! Works beautifully! Thankies!

Click here for my creations! Includes toddler outfits, nighties, alien eyes, custom majors, the t-shirt in my avatar and much more!
Instructor
#14 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 12:02 AM
Yay! Does a happy dance Thank you soooooo much!!! Because I've binned some, but am much too lazy to bin them all... Stupid 0's, ack!

~I no longer play Sims, so I'm not taking requests, sorry~
Test Subject
#15 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 12:28 AM
YES!!!
I was just about to start all this colourbinning thing and now it doesn't look like trouble anymore.
Thank you!
Scholar
#16 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 2:30 AM
Excellent!!
I t really bothers me to have 4 colors for each mesh in the custom content bin
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 30th Apr 2006 at 2:47 AM
wow....
that is awesome,
thank you
so so so so so so so so so so so so so so so MUCH!!!
thank you!!!!!!!!! you have just made things A BILLION TIMES EASIER!!! thanks ^_^!

i put my favorite sims on my avatar because i admire them so much ^_^
Instructor
#18 Old 1st May 2006 at 7:28 PM
One quick question: I took a quick look at the tutorial, and it looks as though the program makes a new package for each hair, right? So in that case, you would want to keep the old packages, so that sims using that hair would retain the right hair. Is that correct? Because doing it the old way, by hand, changes the number of the hair.

For instance, if I open the DNA of an existing sim with custom hair, the hair # is a4d346e6-4e54-db76-c2a1-05a2e29327a8

If I then bin the hair, the number becomes 00000003-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 (for blonde hair)

But I don't know whether the sim DNA changes along with the binned hair, or if this sim will show up with the default hair, since her hair # doesn't exist anymore.

Just wondering what happens to the sims already sporting the hair to be binned.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 2nd May 2006 at 10:56 AM Last edited by Theo : 2nd May 2006 at 2:37 PM.
That's right, the plugin uses the family guid of the first loaded package, which means that the family guid's of the other loaded packages will be lost.

Sims using one those other hairs will revert to the default (bald) hair, and you will have to change their appearance in the mirror.

And yes, the sim DNA will not be changed, meaning that a non-existent guid will be stored in it, so you'll have to edit the sim DNA entry manually, as the plugin doesn't edit the neighborhood packages (where the sim's DNA is stored).

Do you think the plugin should try to correct the DNA automatically? For me it's just a minor annoyance having to change the sim's appearance, but the DNA editing may not be an easy task for everyone.

Edit: By the way, I recommend renaming the old packages because the resource id's are not changed. Having two packages containing the same resource id's means that the game will load just one of them, and you can't control which one is loaded first.
Instructor
#20 Old 2nd May 2006 at 3:53 PM
Oh, *thank you!* I'm so glad I asked before I binned the hair, because nearly all my sims have custom hair.

It would be wonderful if the process could include scanning through and changing the DNA as well, because otherwise, you'd have to change each sim one at a time. I'll leave it up to you to fiddle with that - sounds like a nightmare to me

I think I'll just bin up new hair for now. I'm in the middle of a project neighborhood, so I'm reluctant to fool with the genetics at the moment.

But I doooo appreciate the tool - anything so that I don't have to look at hex And especially getting rid of all those extra grey hairs.

Idea for a new project: a plugin which enables you to replace the default cas faces with your own. Another thing I started to do, and couldn't slog through.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 2nd May 2006 at 4:20 PM
Quote:
Oh, *thank you!* I'm so glad I asked before I binned the hair, because nearly all my sims have custom hair.

It would be wonderful if the process could include scanning through and changing the DNA as well, because otherwise, you'd have to change each sim one at a time. I'll leave it up to you to fiddle with that - sounds like a nightmare to me

Well, I hadn't thought of it before because I made all my CAS sims with normal hairs, so their DNA had only normal guid's.

As for fixing the DNA itself, I do know how to do it, but the problem is that it would have to process all the neighborhoods and then save their packages on each binning session, meaning a big performance hit.
Obviously the scanning would be optional, but it makes sense that it should be done by the plugin, which can keep track of all the missing guid's.
Instructor
#22 Old 2nd May 2006 at 4:23 PM
Well, I would use it, since I didn't think ahead like you did and use Maxis hair (I just couldn't bear it!). Just one of those processes you start and go get a cup of coffee...

Forum Resident
#23 Old 8th May 2006 at 4:00 PM Last edited by jmtmom : 8th May 2006 at 4:10 PM.
Thanks so much for this great tool. I've nearly finished going through ALL my hairs. My sims in bodyshop look fine, even though I rebinned their hair, no hole-in-the head sims. I needed to do a restart anyway, so no ingame sims were affected. I didn't think about the DNA thing though. It's not too big a deal for me, but if it were possible to correct it easilly, I would do it.

So will the game still read the rebinned hairs as custom for attractions and genes inherited by children?
Instructor
#24 Old 9th May 2006 at 2:19 AM
Theo added a fix DNA option (did you upload it, Theo?). The re-binned hair becomes whatever color you made it. That is, if you had custom hair that you put in the red bin, that hair becomes "red," as far as genetics and Turn-on's. I tested it and didn't even have to change appearance - the sims kept the hair they had, even though it was re-binned. Fix DNA is available by neighborhood, and you don't even need to get a cup of coffee. It's fast!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#25 Old 9th May 2006 at 12:16 PM
I have had some reports at MATY that the tool is somehow 'eating' some recolors, but I'm still unable to reproduce the described symptoms on my computer (and I have been using the tool myself extensively ) . What I have been told is that some recolors of a hair lose their mesh definition and appear with the default hair mesh in the catalog.

If this is happening to you, please contact me and if possible, provide me a link to the files that have been output by the tool.

Quote:
Theo added a fix DNA option (did you upload it, Theo?).

I've been waiting for you to tell me it was broken!
It is a highly experimental change, so use it with care! It will change your neighborhood files, and it's better to backup those before using this new function.

BTW: The tool can now re-categorize facial hair, including meshed beards .
Page 1 of 9