Home | Help | Download | Community | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 2 (Who?), Viewed: 4975 times.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2009 at 10:11 PM Last edited by fling-89 : 5th Oct 2009 at 5:18 PM.
Default Tutorial: How to make an "illusional" half wall as a roof
Okay so because I've gotten a few questions regarding a "foundation" as a roof, I've decided to make this tutorial. In this tutorial I'm going to explain a nice and simple little trick step-by-step that you can use to make an "illusional" half wall as a roof. I am going to be VERY thorough, so even if you have never used building cheats, you should be able to, at the very least, get the basic idea of how to make an "illusional" half wall as a roof...This particular tutorial uses a foundation and is only 1 level high...This technique works for both TS2 & TS3. So let's begin shall we....

- Step 1:
Put down your down your basic foundation layout, as shown below:

- Step 2:
Build 1x1 "pillars" on the corners of the foundation, as shown below:

- Step 3:
Build walls that connect the "pillars", as shown below:

It should look like this from above:

- Step 4:
Go up a floor and build the second level, as shown below:

This second level will become the "illusional" half wall...

- Step 5:
Now go down to the first floor and delete the connecting walls, as shown below:

It should now look like this:

- Step 6:
Now build walls that connect the "pillars" on the inside, like so:

- Step 7:
Place one set of modular stairs about 2 or 3 tiles away from your house, as so:

Then put down another set of modular stairs:

Here's a better image of the 2 sets of modular stairs:

- Step 8:
Now go into the terrain tools and click on the "leveling tool":

Now click and drag it over about 2 tiles starting at the base of the bottom stairs like such:

Your results should be similar to this:

- Step 9:
Delete both sets of stairs and put down a 1x1 foundation:

- Step 10:
Now build 4 walls on top of the 1x1 foundation you just placed down:

Then build 4 more walls on top of those:

- Step 11:
Now it's time for the cheat. Enter the cheat menu and type in "BoolProp ConstrainFloorElevation False", it should look as such:

- Step 12:
Go back into terrain tools and again use the level terrain tool:

And click and drag it from the top of the second level of the 1x1 foundation over to the second level of your house like so:

Then just level out the rest of the roof as such:

- Step 13:
Now delete both levels of walls on the 1x1 foundation:

Now then, notice that big pit in your yard?:

Well we're not going to leave it like that...So now you have to turn off the cheat, go into the cheat menu and type in "BoolProp ConstrainFloorElevation True", like so:

This will turn off the cheat and it is necessary, because if you just level the ground without turning off the cheat you will end up with some funky looking warped walls, and you don't want that...(or maybe you do, but this tutorial does not, so turn off the cheat)

- Step 14:
Okay so now, go back into terrain tools and click and drag the leveling tool over the pit as so:

Now that that pit is gone your lot should look similar to this:

- Step 15:
Wallpaper your house any way you would like, and don't forget floors:

- My completed product:

Obviously yours will probably vary as everyone has their own tastes and what not. Well that is all, I'm not sure if you could tell, but my "half wall" wasn't quite low enough, and thus looked a bit strange, you might want to lower the ground more in order to get an actual foundation height half wall... At any rate, I hope this clears up any confusion and I hope that this will be very helpful to many! I wish you all much luck and happy simming
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
staff: retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Oct 2009 at 10:55 PM
Nice tutorial, thank you.

I have one suggestion: in your first paragraph, you mention "foundation" twice (in quotes), which I think is rather confusing since foundation is technically something else than a wall (and you also use actual foundation in this tutorial, which adds to the confusion).

You're calling it "illusional half wall" in the title and everywhere else, which I believe is much clearer why don't you just stick with that term? I believe this would make it easier to understand the idea.

Newbie Road/Wee Barnoid: Starter houses | Backdoor Lane: Urban lots | Baskerville | Middleground | Elsewhere

I'm gone for now. Boats > Sims. Thanks for everything it was a great time!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Oct 2009 at 11:08 PM
LOL, I fixed it now, I guess I was just so excited to be posting this tut that I was in somewhat of a rush. Thank you for pointing that out though

Section jump