Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#51 Old 5th Jul 2007 at 9:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by strovod
Dear tiggerypum

I have a problem which makes my mesh ugly
You see, when I skin a thing every time the part were I editted the mesh, my printed is stretched out, it is pretty ugly,(examplehttp://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l...vod/problem.jpg
I know it ugly, but you can see, I made a sort of top whic shows the original print en you can see the skirt who's print is strechted out

I really on't know what to do about it...please can somebody help me?

Did you modify the uvmap in milkshape?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#52 Old 1st Aug 2007 at 11:31 AM
great tutorial... really really good ive learnt some new things front it

i dont mean to critisise but wouldnt it be easier to use the stretch/squish tool for steps 9-12 because i personally think it is easier and looks neater.... i dont want to sound like that im affending you because your tutorials have helped me alot
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#53 Old 1st Aug 2007 at 11:46 AM
Those steps aren't really hard using the Move tool, fusi0n556, nor do they take more than a few seconds once you've learned how to use those tools. I would prefer to move things row by row and to do it with a keen eye and precision, watching each row as I move it into place, than rely on a tool to do such a simple edit for me.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#54 Old 3rd Sep 2007 at 7:10 PM
tiggery! you're awesome. and, of course, hystericalparoxysm too I really admire you for writing all that stuff...
Test Subject
#55 Old 19th Sep 2007 at 3:39 AM Last edited by ajg812 : 19th Sep 2007 at 8:22 PM.
Default Please Help
First I would like thank you for having awesome tutorials My mesh turned out like it was suppose to, but when I went to edit the UV map I had trouble on #27. I got a solid black sphere. So I downloaded the UV map rar again & when I went to load it to Milkshape I got a download error My Milkshape is V1.8.1b & my UniMesh is V4.09 I tested my mesh in game & every thing looked ok including the morph. I just started meshing a few days ago & really want to learn. Is it a problem with my mesh or is a Milkshape glitch? How do I fix the problem?
Instructor
#56 Old 19th Sep 2007 at 6:20 AM
Default Two UVMAPS for one item?
I have been having problems with UV mapping. The basics I can understand. But I notice that some clothing items, specifically the ones that have alpha parts, also have a seperate uvmap for the alpha parts, either that or I am misinterpreting what I am seeing. Anyway, what I want to know is:

I have cloned the hula outfit, and also another dress outfit. I imported the latter into Milkshape without the morphs, and removed the arms, chest, everything down to the waist, legs, and the underbit that joins the legs to the hem, so that all I was left with was just what looks like a skirt. I duplicated that, scaled it slightly down, reversed the vertex's, and snapped/welded it at the hem and the waist, so that the skirt would texture both sides, alighned normals etc. I didnt alter the length of the skirt, as I wanted to keep all the original assignments. I then exported that using unimesh 4.09.

Now, I opened up milkshape twice, and loaded both with the hula export, (one simply for reference for the meshnames and comments, the other would be the one I am working on. I removed the fatmorphs, both the mesh and alpha part. I was left with just two meshes, the body, and the alpha part... I did some other alterations to the body, basically a chop job, to get rid of the bra straps, bow and cocconut cups etc, this part of it went fine, I checked the vertices, welded and aligned normals etc etc.

Now, I imported my other mesh, just the skirt, WITHOUT the additional skeleton. I renamed it to the alpha part, adjusted the comments etc, and removed the original alpha part, lined everything up where the skirt would join at the waist, aligned normals and got a nice smooth-looking mesh even tho there were two parts. I then duplicated these, renamed and adjusted the comments to create the fat morphs, and adjusted the mesh as needed.

Exported the complete mesh, and replaced it into SimPE as per. Everything worked fine, it showed up in bodyshop correctly, once I adjusted the alpha textures accordingly, but what I want to be able to do, is UVMAP the skirt, to a seperate image, so that I can use the whole of that image for the texture/alpha layer of the skirt, instead of having to try and squeeze it inbetween the two sets of legs.

The first screenshot is where I want to be able to UVMAP the skirt, as a seperate image, the second is showing the space I have to try and squeeze it into, you see my problem? I have read, re-read and read again the tuts on uvmapping, but I cant find the answer I am looking for, or if it is even possible.

Please help, I have been trying to do this same project for three days solid, and my poor Sims aint getting any runtime lol.
Screenshots
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#57 Old 20th Sep 2007 at 10:08 AM
ajg812 - did you like unrar the uvmap file to get a graphic? There's a jpg or something in the download - which is what you need to read into milkshape, not the actual rar file.

FifthAce - first off - if parts are in separate groups (and you leave them that way, like if you are making what's called an alpha mesh, like the hula skirt is constructed), they each can have their own graphic and own alpha.

Frankly, if you want to get rid of the junk on the hula woman, import the hula outfit first, and then import the swimsuit mesh and replace the hula body with the simsuit one. Much better for mapping, you won't have to correct anything or worry about deleting bits of the body mesh.

The skirt should have already *been* uvmapped - because you took it from a sim body to begin with. I expect it's mapped more or less where the legs are. Matter of fact, it looks like it is, based on the screenshots.

So, you have your mesh, you have your 2 uvmaps. (Now this says nothing about how it will animate in game, if the legs are going to come through your skirt when the sim dances, but one thing at a time).

When you go into bodyshop, you'll see a messy looking recolor of your new mesh, because the hula girl does not follow normal layouts. Make a new project. Replace the body graphic and it's alpha with whatever you want the shirt, sleeves and feet to look like. You might even give her undies. Then replace the alpha graphics with a texture for the skirt, and matching alpha. So you need to make 4 different graphics (6 if it also has bumpmaps, for now just bumpmap it a solid gray, if it does, while you work things out)

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#58 Old 20th Sep 2007 at 5:02 PM
Default Reply to tiggerypum
I used WinRAR to download the file to a folder on my desktop. When I was in Milkshape I clicked the "New" button under the "Materials" Menu. I went to do step #27 then I clicked on the "None" button like the picture shows, it brought up my file screen & I selected the "_MACOSX" > "templates-patternsfouvmap" > "._templatecheckpattern". Milkshape box popped up that said "download error". I checked my folder to see if the patterns were there & I could see both of them fine. Am I doing it wrong?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#59 Old 20th Sep 2007 at 11:58 PM
you're on a mac running milkshape? I have heard that milkshape sometimes gives folks odd problems with opening files 'on the desktop'... try putting that folder into, like, your my documents folder and trying again.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Test Subject
#60 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 12:12 AM Last edited by ajg812 : 21st Sep 2007 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Double checked my problem.
Default Reply to tiggerypum
No I have a E Machine (it's made by Gateway) with Windows XP. But when I downloaded the templates that was the only one. So I just tried to download it again a couple of times & I get the same thing. What am I doing wrong?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#61 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 3:59 AM
okay. You should not be selecting any macos file (if you see one) that might be the icon, I am sure I made the file _on_ my mac. Hmm yes, it appears (just downloaded it) that there are two odd folders in it - one being the macos junk that I didn't know was in there... and another entire folder with the actual jpgs!

Look in the folder: templates-patternsforuvmap
and look for templatecheckpattern.bmp
or templaterainbow.bmp

Instructor
#62 Old 21st Sep 2007 at 4:21 AM
tiggeryplum thanks, I will have another look, once I have sorted out my PC's nervous breakdown...
Field Researcher
#63 Old 28th Sep 2007 at 7:42 AM
Hi Tiggery and Hysterical...thank you both for the tutorials. :*)

I have been altering a mesh, separated a dress into two pieces, altered them and then snapped them back together. The mesh shows up just fine in BS but when I go to work with the UV map, I see the checked background but not the actual UV map. I have used 'select all' so that the whole mesh is highlighted in red but still nothing. Body is selected in the little drop down menu and I have scaled down as suggested. I can only assume I have done something wrong. If you have any suggestions here I would appreciate it. Please let me know if my explanation is lacking. Thanks!

~JJ~
Looking for a forum to host your creations? Let's talk. PM me or email me from my site below.

Check out Lucentsims :*) And our forums.
Lab Assistant
#64 Old 1st Oct 2007 at 11:32 PM
Hi Yah,

Thanks very much for the tutorials they are really easy to follow. I seem to be having problems with the sims arms and legs in body shop. The leg's end up looking like stilts and the arms are stretched. I have body shop mechanic installed with the arms down the side pose. The dress looks fine. Have I got some settings wrong in milkshape?. I've mainly been doing object modding up until now. It all looks fine in milkshape and also in SimPE preview window after i've replaced the GMDC. I hav'nt tried looking at it in the game because something is obviously wrong.

Thanks for your help angieb

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.
Thanks
Ange
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#65 Old 2nd Oct 2007 at 4:18 AM
Angieb, Did you move the arms or legs relative position? Did you change the bone assignments. If everything looks fine in milkshape but not when posed in bodyshop (fine arms out in bodyshop, but not fine in a pose) then it's a bone assignment issue.

Lab Assistant
#66 Old 2nd Oct 2007 at 4:09 PM
I must have without realizing it. I'll start again. I've read through the third tutorial but I'll go back to the first one again. Appreciate your help.

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.
Thanks
Ange
Test Subject
#67 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 12:10 AM
I did everything that the tutorial said, but it just didn't work. Could you help?
Test Subject
#68 Old 26th Oct 2007 at 12:55 AM
I Realy lOVE this tutorial! it is realy realy helpful! But one thing, at the begining of this tutorial, do we have to do just the steps listed or everything in beetween them?

Thanks!
Instructor
#69 Old 30th Dec 2007 at 1:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bobotoad
I Realy lOVE this tutorial! it is realy realy helpful! But one thing, at the begining of this tutorial, do we have to do just the steps listed or everything in beetween them?

Thanks!

Of course you have to do everything, the tutorial steps tells you what to do, but when you read what is between them you will understand "how to" do them
If you read ... You understand , If you understand ... You create !

Hope i helped ya!
Inventor
#70 Old 12th Jan 2008 at 9:54 AM
I'm going crazy. when the tutorial said start up SimPE and edit mesh on step #21. does it mean start up from the beginning and repeat the procedure of creating a folder on the desktop and a temp package on body shop?I've been going round and round

:::OpenHouse For Sims:::
[ click here to go there ]
::check out my site for updates and freebies::
Inventor
#71 Old 14th Jan 2008 at 3:10 AM
I've re_textured the mesh I just did with the tutorial but there's something weird please check it out and see what I did wrong. Also I think I made the upper leg fatter

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/8194/image1su1.jpg

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/4852/image2qv6.jpg

You and HP are amazingly smart

Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 15th Jan 2008 at 1:17 AM
Jack, I think the problem you're still having is in the uvmapping.

Assuming that you -did- pull down the upper leg part when you lengthened the dress (so there's no 'leg' inside the mesh) you need to also be sure to do the same thing on the uvmap.

As for the upper leg looking thicker - that was my error - because as you pull the leg downwards like that, the top of the leg remains as thick as the upper part of the thigh, and it really shows if you pull the skirt down too far.

What you can do is select the top row or two of vertices of *one* leg, and then use scaling (.99) to make that part of the leg thinner (similar to how you made the outer skirt wider). Then go do the same with the other leg. Keep track of how often you scale things so you do identical stuff on each leg.

Inventor
#73 Old 18th Jan 2008 at 8:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tiggerypum
Jack, I think the problem you're still having is in the uvmapping.

Assuming that you -did- pull down the upper leg part when you lengthened the dress (so there's no 'leg' inside the mesh) you need to also be sure to do the same thing on the uvmap.

As for the upper leg looking thicker - that was my error - because as you pull the leg downwards like that, the top of the leg remains as thick as the upper part of the thigh, and it really shows if you pull the skirt down too far.

What you can do is select the top row or two of vertices of *one* leg, and then use scaling (.99) to make that part of the leg thinner (similar to how you made the outer skirt wider). Then go do the same with the other leg. Keep track of how often you scale things so you do identical stuff on each leg.

thanks, great tutorials

Lab Assistant
#74 Old 22nd Jan 2008 at 2:12 PM
Great tutorial, very useful and easy to understand, just one question...how can we show our work here in MTS2??

Happy Simming Everyone!!
My SimPage on thesims2.ea.com
Don't stop playing Sims♥♥♥
Instructor
#75 Old 5th Feb 2008 at 3:28 PM Last edited by $RaMRoM$ : 5th Feb 2008 at 3:42 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Chimi
Great tutorial, very useful and easy to understand, just one question...how can we show our work here in MTS2??

Go to the Upload Area

Read the Upload Wizard FAQ
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: New, updated tutorial available.
Page 3 of 4