Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Sep 2006 at 5:35 PM
Default Is there an easier way to UV Map messhes?
Is there an easier way to UV Map meshes??

Im having problems mapping my mesh. My shoes wont show up properly.

I tried DR Pixels shoe tutorial and I am frustrated with it as Im having a hard time selecting the right faces. I tried the other tutorial, it didnt work out either. And, I have tried the lithunwrapper as well.

Thanks for any help.
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Sep 2006 at 5:57 PM
I find it's generally easiest to zoom in really close, and then use the face selection "by vertex". You can always unselect any other vertices not related to the faces you want to select. Also, erm, if you're using Lithunwrap, I think that means you're exporting as .obj, and if you're doing that with more than just your shoes, you're losing bone assignments by doing so - which you REALLY don't want to lose in a body. Reassigning 2000 bone assignments sucks. A lot.

Really, Milkshape's UV mapper is pretty decent (I'm gonna assume you're using Milkshape since you mentioned "the other tutorial" and the only Body Shop meshing tutorial I know of on uv mapping is for Milkshape). Milkshape's uv mapper lacks some more interesting mapping types for certain primitives, but base primitives come fairly well mapped - it's just a matter of mapping from whatever the "flattest" side is, then adjusting. If you use Tig's blue grid as your pattern, it can help a lot with getting a non-distorted map (as you'll know your map is pretty distortion-free when you have a perfect grid pattern showing on your mesh). Carefully read over her tutorial on mapping in Milkshape, and you may also want to check out some of the Milkshape help files and tutorials on the Milkshape site. They can help you learn a lot about Milkshape in general, and I bet there's info on the uv mapper that can help you.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Sep 2006 at 6:17 PM
Thanks for replying so quick!!

I'll try you suggestions, with more patience

Thank you again
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#4 Old 13th Sep 2006 at 8:11 PM
For these shoes, it's too late, but if you are making your shoes from scratch, I also know that Dr. Pixel often uvmaps _as he is building_ as opposed to pulling things apart again after the fact. In the InfoCenter there's an article about milkshape tips that points to a mini tutorial of his where he shows how he went about making a violin - and as he builds each part, he uvmaps it.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Scholar
#5 Old 13th Sep 2006 at 11:11 PM
Yes, I find it is very often easier to do the uv_mapping as I go, rather than trying to do it afterwards.

In fact, I usually make at least a preliminary texture, with all the planned new parts already on it before I even start editing the mesh at all.