Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Loft's Keep: A Medieval Fortress

by shaeturtle Posted 24th Sep 2006 at 11:04 AM - Updated 30th Sep 2006 at 10:19 PM by shaeturtle : bug fix

29 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 28 Feedback Posts
Page 1 of 2
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Sep 2006 at 8:32 AM
Big and well done job
and thank you for sharing

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Instructor
#3 Old 27th Sep 2006 at 8:33 AM
I think this is very cool! My computer is going to hate me (since it's so big...), but I really like your fortress anyway

Hey, wanna get rid of the PaySites once and for all?

Wanna join the Animal Army?
Give me credit and you can include/default/whatever my stuff - No Paysites!
- I always use skins from Enayla
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Sep 2006 at 10:51 AM
Default No title, you'll just have to make do.
Thanks. I didn't know if anyone would actually like it. It was originally intended to be bigger. I don't know if this is the game or just my computer but I ran out of walls. I suppose I exceeded some limit. Does anyone know if this is normal and if so, is there a method of circumvention?
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 27th Sep 2006 at 1:11 PM
waht I know its not normal...

Guilded by faith...probly....or was it...rly?
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 27th Sep 2006 at 5:21 PM
You ran out of walls??
Oh my this is soo lovely, but far to big for my pc. sniff.
thanks anyway

edit: think I'll still download, I might get a new pc
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 27th Sep 2006 at 6:08 PM
Wow this is nice, Thanks a bunch! I have a great place to set this out

~Crenellating Crenellations!!~
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 27th Sep 2006 at 7:35 PM Last edited by Vampixen : 27th Sep 2006 at 8:33 PM. Reason: Added Image links
Is it just me...ummm.. When I installed it onto a lot, None of the wall textures show up and on the lower tower the stairs was sticking out of the wall. I also see wooden fence gates underneath in a few places but no fence attached... Do I need to download more content for it to show? err was it supposed to be included?
Heres some pics of what I'm seeing, and if you notice the neighborhood view, it seems to be showing up there. Could it be that if you use the moveobjects on cheat, that when you set out a lot after one is built using it that the game sets it out back as defaults?
Screenshots
Test Subject
#9 Old 27th Sep 2006 at 11:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vampixen
Is it just me...ummm.. When I installed it onto a lot, None of the wall textures show up and on the lower tower the stairs was sticking out of the wall. I also see wooden fence gates underneath in a few places but no fence attached... Do I need to download more content for it to show? err was it supposed to be included?
Heres some pics of what I'm seeing, and if you notice the neighborhood view, it seems to be showing up there. Could it be that if you use the moveobjects on cheat, that when you set out a lot after one is built using it that the game sets it out back as defaults?

Mine is doing the same thing. I dunno...I thought it was me, lol! I have dial-up, so downloading lots usually takes a good five to thirty minutes depending on the lot size. This one just went ...bloop!... just that fast. Like two seconds! Anyway, my Clean Installer only shows the "lot segment for upload" and no CC. When I put it in the game, I get the structure, windows, and staircases, but no wall/floor textures or any other CC. Awesome structure, though! Just amazing!

Anyway, if you figure out it's not just me and it's something you can fix, I'll be more than happy to try to d/l again!!

Thank you!
Cindy
Instructor
#10 Old 28th Sep 2006 at 12:32 AM
if i were you guys, then i would just d/l the cc provided in the links, if it still doesnt work, then it is the creator's problem,
although he should specify whether or not you need to d/l the cc!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 28th Sep 2006 at 4:16 AM Last edited by shaeturtle : 29th Sep 2006 at 12:36 AM.
Vampixen, it looks like this was my mistake. I've never uploaded a lot before and just followed the tutorial blindly hoping to make this work. It looks like some custom content was left out that I thought would be included. There is supposed to be a fence in image 1. In image 2, those were meant to be targa's 2x1 ladder stairs. I hyothesize that running the upload through the Clean Installer took out ALL non-maxis content; which was either not replaced, as with the walls, or replaced with the closest substitute, as with the stairs. If anyone reading this would show me how to distinguish the specific cc the lot requires during an upload I'll fix castle and resubmit the post. I think the windows are stretching beyond the frame because I stretched out that wall to increase the tower height but that didn't happen on my system. I'll try and fix that too. I'll always jump at any chance to perfect my work so please keep the feedback coming. Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 28th Sep 2006 at 4:36 AM
Hi Shae, I'm Running a decent system, Nvidia 6800 Ultra, AMD Athlon 3500+,3 gigs of PC3200 DDR Ram, close to 200 gigs of available Harddrive space...etc etc, I can run the game with all settings maxed with no lag whatsoever. Even your castle caused me no lag LOL. I really hope you can get this all together, I really like the layout and planning of your structure here. If I were you, I'd try placing the lot that was uploaded here just so you can see what I do. Apparently some things were left out in your sims2pack file. Probably some setting in Clean Installer I speculate. And like CindyAnne I'd be happy to redownload this again

Test Subject
#13 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 12:29 AM
where is the dl link? i only see all the cc links please help.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 12:34 AM
Sorry Gorge, you caught me in the middle of uploading it. It should be there now.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 8:21 AM
Hello Again, After deleting the old lot and reinstalling the updated version,It seems all is well now except for 2 places I pictured here for you.
Thanks,
Vampi
Screenshots

Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 1:43 PM Last edited by shaeturtle : 29th Sep 2006 at 2:04 PM.
Vampi,

I can tell where the 2nd image is, but is that first window? I thought I got all those.

Incidentally, while I was messing around with the lot trying to fix the bugs I discovered that if you enter build mode and select the wall tool, you can hold down the Ctrl key and, WITHOUT RELEASING THE CTRL KEY, erase and restore the offending wall. This seems to eliminate the gaping hole in the wall until you leave the lot. I believe this has something to do with the constrainfloorelevation cheat I used to get the tower to bridge to the barracks. The wall's been distorted when the window has not. I also discovered that if you just move the window over to one side the problem sometimes corrects itself. These two quick fixes don't last and will need to be done whenever you return to the lot while I work on a more permanent solution.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 1:51 PM
On another topic, I have a quick question, a long explanation, and a very simple favor to ask of those who like my lot.

Has anyone encountered any problems with building any more walls in this lot?

I had to leave larger rooms in the upper stories because I wasn't able to use enough wall sections to subdivide them. Oddly enough, if I removed some wall sections (as when I lowered the towers) from another area of the lot, I was able to add an equal number of wall sections to another part. I could only add as many walls as I had already removed though. So if I was 2 wall sections short of enclosing a room when the game disallowed more walls, I could erase 2 wall sections from the foundation and then complete the room.
I don't know why this is happening but it's vexing me. I had to make enormous sacrifices to the quality of the keep to accomodate this wall limit restriction. It might be that i'm trying to exceed some preset limit the game has for # of wall sections allowed. If that's the case then it would make sense that I first encountered this problem with a really large lot with many walls. However, I've built large lots of comparable size before and, while I never actually counted the wall sections, I have had no difficulties. On the other hand, if there is no preset wall limit inherent in the game then the problem is with my setup; either with my computer, my installation, my neighborhood, or my lot.
To come hastening to my long-winded point, if someone out there in sim land would be willing to let me know if they were successful in subdividing one of the upper levels of the keep into some smaller rooms, I'll know where the problem lies and can start looking for a solution. Thanks in advance.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 29th Sep 2006 at 5:57 PM Last edited by Vampixen : 29th Sep 2006 at 6:20 PM. Reason: added screenshots
I'll give it a try and add more rooms or divide... and let you know here today.

Results..
Okay I like you cannot add more walls, on any level. I didnt try to delete any, so im sure your method works. I took two more screens for you so you can tell better where I am seeing this happen and added them here.

Vampi
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 1:57 AM
Vampi,

I don't think this is the updated version you're showing me here. In the new version 1) those ladder stairs decend from within the thin tower, 2) I didn't include that "Pflaster" floor cc and removed the credit from the post, and 3) I chopped a story off that tower. I couldn't lower the top floor from the 40 brick height it was stuck on to the 16 brick height it needs to be to fix the wall. There was nowhere to level it from, so I just removed the top floor. If you dont like how stumpy that makes the tower look (I know I didn't) you could always just remove that 1 window.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 2:07 AM
Okay I figured this would happen... IT IS THE UPDATE, I have no reason to tell you anything different. Actually, I was trying to help you here, But since you doubt me, find a new guinea pig, later....
Vampi

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 2:10 AM
BTW... I should'nt have to remove ANY windows... The modder should ALWAYS make sure the mod will work in anothers game. I am really pissed here.

EDIT:
ALSO... HOW THE HELL would I be able to post NEW pics with WALL coverings without doing the update hmmmm?

Forum Resident
#22 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 6:25 AM
This is a beautiful and realistic castle! Thanks, I will add it to my medieval neighborhood!

Visit my web site:Fanciful Sims
Royal Kingdom Challenge:
http://tinyurl.com/b4ajz
Live your medieval dream
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 6:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vampixen
Okay I figured this would happen... IT IS THE UPDATE, I have no reason to tell you anything different. Actually, I was trying to help you here, But since you doubt me, find a new guinea pig, later....
Vampi

I'm sorry if I came across as insulting or unappreciative. I apologize if I did. That wasn't my intention. I just wanted to double-check. Upon re-reading my earlier post I see why you became upset with my lack of tact and, again, I apologize.

When I saw your screenshots I downloaded the lot back off of MTS2 to make sure I was addressing your issue correctly. I assumed I had made a mistake but the architecture in your picture and in my download just don't align. I'll try to show you what I mean. I'm not sure if I successfully included the screenshots in this thread so included the pictures up with the main screenshots where you download the lot. I tried to match your camera angles so that you can see why I was confused. The tower you're showing me is taller than the tower I pulled off the website today. It used to be that tall but I shortened it as part of my update. You have the updated file so either your system is creating an error for you, or my system is hiding the error from me. I'm no computer wizard so I don't know. But I'll work on it.
Screenshots
Attached Images

Lab Assistant
#24 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 8:16 AM
Well I dont know what to say here... I did replace the original castle with the new download... When i install new content from here it all goes to a seperate folder named "New"... I always install through clean installer,,, lets see,, My game settings are all set to high, other than textures are set to medium, running at 800x600 resolution at 32 bit. The pics I posted here have been photoshopped for brightness and clarity (they were too dark). I'm not sure whats going on here either, this is the first time I've ever seen this from any downloads I've gotten from here. I ran Clean Installer through all the directories in the downloads folder and removed any double entries there were. I will re-download and delete the castle and reinstall and see what happens. Sorry for being so crass last night, I have uploaded an item on here five days ago and it still hasn't been approved. That has me a bit edgy.

Lab Assistant
#25 Old 30th Sep 2006 at 9:04 AM
Okay this is really weird... after reinstalling the whole thing again... the same thing happens. I checked what was in the Sims2Pack file with clean installer. In my game for some reason it is using PFLaster for the roofing... shouldnt it be thatch roofing or something darker like whats in your pics? I've increased my texture size to large in game as well. I am ready to give up and just fix it myself.

Page 1 of 2