Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#26 Old 20th Jul 2007 at 12:10 AM
Thank you very much for your idea and your great template
now it works and the logs look like wood.
but I wrote in shape :
subset name:logs
material definition file: fireplacehearthvalue_logswood

I found the name in the text lists at resource tree under model materials

Thank you very much again for your help
Birgit
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#27 Old 20th Jul 2007 at 12:42 AM
The reference you've put in the shape is correct:
"fireplacehearthvalue_logswood" is the Material Definition (TXMT) for the logs;
"fireplacehearthvalue-colors-white" is the Texture (TXTR), that is used by the TXMT.

I mentioned the texture because when creating an UVmap you need to load a texture into your UV program.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
#28 Old 5th Aug 2007 at 7:43 PM
Thank you Numenor for a brilliant and easy to use template!

I am using the 2-tile no chimney fireplace and I have one question:

Is it possible to make the flames larger? I want to make them taller (perhaps move them forward a bit too), but I don't know if this is possible. Is there anything I can experiment with or are the flames fixed by the game?

Thank you in advance!

Dylan
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 5th Aug 2007 at 8:17 PM Last edited by Numenor : 5th Aug 2007 at 8:27 PM.
The flames are "effects", fixed by the game; the only thing you can do is modify the BHAV(s) that call the flame effect and change it, so to call a different effect (there are several size of flame effects, in game; I don't know which one is used in the fireplaces).

On the other hand, moving the current effect is easier: open the CRES, look in the hierarchy and select the node that mentions the effect (sometimes the effects are referred to as "fx"); when you select it, you will be presented with a window that contains (on the left) the "Translation" box; change the Y value (if I remember well, a smaller Y moves the node toward the camera, but I'm not sure).

Please note that the Y value is expressed in tiles.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#30 Old 14th Aug 2007 at 7:15 AM
Before I get started on this, I have one question: I have found a beautiful Tudor-style fireplace front that has no mantle. It lies flush with the wall. Is it possible to use this for a recolor?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#31 Old 14th Aug 2007 at 10:09 AM
If you want to recolour the Tudor fireplace, then this clone template is no use for you. This template is needed only if you want to create a brand new fireplace.

Of course, when it comes to recolouring custom objects, you can do that only if the creator set it to be recolourable (if the Tudor fireplace has been created using these templates, then it should be recolourable)

Lab Assistant
#32 Old 14th Aug 2007 at 2:23 PM
I chose my words incorrectly. It would be creating a new fireplace. Frpm what I've seen so far, it would be unique.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#33 Old 16th Aug 2007 at 1:49 AM
Then you are in the right place The fact that the your fireplace will not have a mantle, it's not a problem.

Lab Assistant
#34 Old 16th Aug 2007 at 4:43 AM
So far, I am struggling with this. It appears that all of the individual elements of the "face" have to be arranged in a certain way in a single collage and I haven't got it right yet.... Oh well... I'll keep plugging away until I do. Thanks, Numenor. You're my hero....
Test Subject
#35 Old 2nd Nov 2007 at 1:01 PM
On the no chimney 2 tile, is it me, or are the lights set too far right?

Is there a way to adjust them side to side?

Jimbo-
Test Subject
#36 Old 7th Nov 2007 at 2:10 AM
I'll donate 10 bucks to ya numenor, if you'll just answer this question...
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#37 Old 7th Nov 2007 at 1:31 PM
LOL! No, please, don't donate anything for just one answer
If you appreciated my overall activities and creations, then you are welcome, but this answer is offered absolutely for free -
I'm just very busy with the real life, currently: that's why I sometimes reply with great delay...

As for the problem you point out, you are right, the light looks placed too far to the right in my opinion, too. However, it's the same light and position that Maxis included in the original fireplace (click on the thumbs for larger view):

ClickMe ClickMe

That said, you CAN move the light wherever you like, by editing certain values in the CRES.

1) Open the package in SimPE and select the CRES;
2) select the "Hierarchy" tab to reveal the CRES structure: you will see several nodes: the last two ones are the lights:

3) click on the first light and then select the "cTransform" tab:

4) Edit the X value to move the light horizontally; remember that the X-Y-Z values are expressed in tiles (i.e. 0.5 means half a tile), and that the Sims2 axis are set like this:

This means that increasing the X moves the light to the left (similarly, a greater Y moves the light toward the camera and a greater Z movers the light upwards).
I suggest to use a value of X = 1.5: this should move the light half tile to the left.

5) When done, remember to commit and save!

6) Repeat the same steps for the second light; use the same X value for it, too.

Test Subject
#38 Old 7th Nov 2007 at 4:44 PM
I tried that as soon as I decided they needed to be moved, but It wouldnt move regardless of the numbers I put it. The flame effect moves just fine and have built 3 nice fireplaces, but for the life of me I cant get the lights to move.

I'll try again, maybe I'm just screwy

Thank you for replying Numenor :D

Jimbo-
Test Subject
#39 Old 30th Dec 2007 at 12:43 AM
Thanks so much for this! I made a fireplace and it replaced the maxis one, I didn't know about the difficulties involved when I decided to try it, this is perfect, I can't wait to try it out!

And thanks for everything else you do for our community!!!!!

Sue (SusanJoan19)
Forum Resident
#40 Old 27th Jun 2008 at 4:05 AM
Oh, this is lovely! I've never liked fireplaces with chimneys anyway, as they got to be such a hassle. Now if I can just figure out what parts of the texture correspond with what part of the fireplace, then I'll be all set. :]
Test Subject
#41 Old 1st Jul 2008 at 8:32 AM
You are one amazing person for making things for the Sims. I really appreciate all your work, mods, creations and help on here. Thank you!
Test Subject
#42 Old 14th Apr 2010 at 12:28 AM
How do you actually MAKE them???????????
Page 2 of 2