Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 11:16 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Open for Business, Pets
Default EP Installation Order
Okies, I have the Base game, of course ^^ and University, and as an early x-mas present I was given OFB and Pets (YAY!) So, on to my conflict: I most likely won't be getting nightlife until my b-day, or possibly x-mas if I'm very lucky. So, does it matter which order I install the EPs? Thank you ^^
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 11:26 PM
No, it doesn't seem to matter in which order you install the games- as long as the basegame is first. Remember to apply ALL patches for each EP/ SP you have:
http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=188931
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 11:26 PM
Really? Awesome, thank you very much ^^
Test Subject
#4 Old 19th Nov 2006 at 1:44 PM
Hi, I wanted to do the same thing, too and it's very cool, that there hasn't to be an order in installing the EPs I've already made plan about deinstalling OfB and making Back-Ups first
But I don't understand what these patches are. I've read the thread you've posted and I have read on thesims2.com about the OfB patch (at the moment I have just base game and OfB) but I have none of all these bugs etc. that will be removed with this OfB patch. So what do I need this patch for?

oh and by the way, if I, for example, now install university and then nightlife after havin Ofb installed already, which cd will I need to run the game??
What just happend?
retired moderator
#5 Old 19th Nov 2006 at 1:58 PM
I believe that you would still use OFB as the other 2 came out before OFB. You should also read this http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=188931 It explains "why" you should patch all EPs.

Life is for LIVING so, LIVE it and have Fun

Please use "spell check" when posting!!!
Prejudice is the child of ignorance.
Stupid people are stupid
#6 Old 19th Nov 2006 at 1:59 PM
You need the cd from the latest EP that you have to run the game. And you really should patch your game as you can get the bugs that are fixed in the future.
Test Subject
#7 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 2:50 AM
I'm glad there's a thread on this topic, I've been agonizing over whether or not I'd end up starting an unnecessary thread on this matter.

I've got the University, OFB and Pets expansions installed, and I just recently acquired Nightlife. A friend of mine experienced some critical bugs with this expansion, though I haven't really done any research on what has been documented as 'known issues'.

I have a very minimal amount of custom content (less than 50 items, I think), so I don't think I'll be experiencing compatibility problems. But anyway, is it safe for me to assume that backing up (that is to say, copying the EA Games/Sims 2 folder in My Documents) is enough of a precaution before I install this pack?

Also, regarding the issue of patching --- I've never bothered to patch any of my expansions or the base Sims 2 game, mostly because I've never experienced any real issues --- but if I understand correctly, any problems I could possibly experience with Nightlife would be remedied with a patch.

So let's say the patch doesn't work. I'm a little bit lazy about attempting a clean install as documented in the FAQs, but that should be my last resort, right? And my backup Documents-EA Games-Sims 2 folder will still be able to work on a clean install (plus Nightlife) even though it was generated from an install that was not 'clean', right?

Anyway, answers to these questions would be much appreciated.

OMG, this is my first post and it's so damn long.
Moderator of Please Read the Help FAQs
retired moderator
#8 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 5:27 AM
First of all, welcome to MTS2 ourchair *waves*

Yes, backing your EA Games/Sims2 folder before installing is a good idea. Also, take a look at this faq regarding getting ready for EPs: http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=86959 If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Please do not PM me with Game or Site Help questions. Post them in the appropriate section after going through the FAQs.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." ~ Verbal Kint, The Usual Suspects
Test Subject
#9 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 5:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by julianarosalia
First of all, welcome to MTS2 ourchair *waves*

Hahah, thanks. I've been lurking a long time, though my account got deleted due to inactivity last year. :D

Quote: Originally posted by julianarosalia
Yes, backing your EA Games/Sims2 folder before installing is a good idea. Also, take a look at this faq regarding getting ready for EPs: http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=86959 If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Ah yeah, I read up on all the FAQs before getting any further into the site. Because you know, it's good msg board etiquette and all that. Anyway, I'm just concerned that installing expansions out of order would cause some kind of problems but I'm glad to know the risk is minimal.

Still any answers to my specific questions would be appreciated. :D
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#10 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 4:52 PM
Just to clarify- yes, backup your files before installing any patch (or any mod or hack!). To do this make a copy of your entire Sims2 folder from my Documents/ EA Games. Put it somewhere safe that is NOT in your documents folder- for example, on a CD/ DVD or even on the desktop.
http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?p=1105148
Even if you do not have the bugs that the patches fix, you should still patch the game. This is because many mods and hacks depend on a patched game (so will not work correctly on an unpatched game). Also some of the fixes are critical- this means that even though your game seems to be working okay, it is possible that one day the whole thing will explode into nothingness. Well, not literally but figuratively! You should apply ALL patches for ALL games that you have. So if you are fully equipped as I am (again, figuratively speaking!) you will have the following games:
Base game, Uni, Nightlife, OFB, Family Fun, Glamour, Pets, Holiday pack.
And you should apply ALL of the patches, like this:
Base game patch (get the correct one depending on whether you have CD or DVD version)
Nightlife Patch (The Uni Patch is also included in this one)
OFB Patch
FFS Patch (important unless you want your FFS clothes to vanish!)
And of course you should apply any future patches that are released.
http://thesims2.ea.com/update/?pid=Help_patches
The best way to apply these patches is to download them from the website and save them somewhere, then run them from your hard drive. Don't worry about accidentally applying a patch you don't need- the installer will not run if the patch isn't needed and in any case, it should not harm the game if the same files were patched twice!
The only reason the patches won't apply are if you have modified any of the Game files- for example, if you have a lighting mod or script mods, or you have made the objects.package file read only. In these cases you should restore the files to their unmodified state (you did back them up before modding, right?) or by getting a fresh copy from the install disc (all of the files are on the discs somewhere, usually in compressed folders). Reinstalling would be a last resort.
Test Subject
#11 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 9:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Even if you do not have the bugs that the patches fix, you should still patch the game. This is because many mods and hacks depend on a patched game (so will not work correctly on an unpatched game). Also some of the fixes are critical- this means that even though your game seems to be working okay, it is possible that one day the whole thing will explode into nothingness.

Well, not literally but figuratively! You should apply ALL patches for ALL games that you have. So if you are fully equipped as I am (again, figuratively speaking!) you will have the following games: Base game, Uni, Nightlife, OFB, Family Fun, Glamour, Pets, Holiday pack.

And you should apply ALL of the patches, like this: Base game patch (get the correct one depending on whether you have CD or DVD version)
Nightlife Patch (The Uni Patch is also included in this one)
OFB Patch
FFS Patch (important unless you want your FFS clothes to vanish!)
And of course you should apply any future patches that are released.

http://thesims2.ea.com/update/?pid=Help_patches
The best way to apply these patches is to download them from the website and save them somewhere, then run them from your hard drive. Don't worry about accidentally applying a patch you don't need- the installer will not run if the patch isn't needed and in any case, it should not harm the game if the same files were patched twice!

The only reason the patches won't apply are if you have modified any of the Game files- for example, if you have a lighting mod or script mods, or you have made the objects.package file read only. In these cases you should restore the files to their unmodified state (you did back them up before modding, right?) or by getting a fresh copy from the install disc (all of the files are on the discs somewhere, usually in compressed folders). Reinstalling would be a last resort.
Hey, many thanks simsample. Your specific notes on patches is very helpful, especially with regards to the working state of certain mods and stuff. That would explain why one or two skins I dloaded are not cooperating. Time to put my dial-up connection through the wringer of dloading all them patches.

Oh, and what's "FFS"? Family Fun Stuff? Meaning I don't need it if I don't have it, yes?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#12 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 3:12 PM
Yes- sorry, FFS is Family Fun Stuff. You don't need it if you don't have that particular stuff pack.