Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Apr 2007 at 5:15 AM Last edited by wes_h : 26th Apr 2007 at 5:24 AM.
Default Smoothing Groups for Object Meshes.
One of the things that have been sorely lacking for Sims2 object meshing has been the loss of the original Maxis-designed smoothing groups (because they are not in the game files).

I have designed a new plugin, as a part of my UniMesh suite for for MilkShape, that attempts to break a mesh into smoothing groups by using the face adjacency based on the UV mapping. While it cannot do 100% of the game meshes totally (some appear to be too complex without some human guidance), it has done a wide variety pretty well.

I have the plugin posted in a thread in the BodyShop Meshing forum. I don't like to make multiple posts about something, as that is somewhat wasteful, as well as making support harder for me. But I think the plugin will be of at least as much, if not more, use for object meshing purposes.

Anyway, you can view the post, and download if wanted, at:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=229550

<* Wes *>
Advertisement
Part-time Hermit
#2 Old 26th Apr 2007 at 6:20 AM
Thank you, wes, I will try this out the next time I work on a mesh .
Forum Resident
#3 Old 26th Apr 2007 at 7:34 AM
Wes, you're a genius! (It was about time to express this!)

happy simming,
Xanathon

Xanathon's Laboratory :: WishList

.: Do not harass me with requests via PM, you will only get ignored :.
.: Don't post my objects or objects derived from them on paysites or the exchange! :.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Apr 2007 at 8:01 PM
I KNEW I liked you, too!

I tried over a year ago to make this, but was using the wrong approach. I am polishing it a little yet, and plan to make it copy the smoothing groups identically to the MORPHMOD groups. While that is certainly an issue that affects body meshing, all the food seem to use morphs as a part of the serving animation.

<* Wes *>
Instructor
#5 Old 27th Apr 2007 at 11:22 PM
Excellent! I am getting ready to mess with some object meshes now. I will definitely be able to use this for mapping as well.

Cogito ergo nupta non sum.