Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Decoration Transformer (Designer Helper Object)

by netmicro Posted 28th Apr 2007 at 7:28 PM - Updated 17th Oct 2008 at 1:46 PM by -Maylin-

53 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 46 Feedback Posts, 6 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 3
Forum Resident
#2 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 1:11 PM
wow this is so cool!awesome idea!thanx so much 4 sharing with us!
Instructor
#3 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 1:23 PM
thanx a lot!!! i luved it!!!

hi!
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#4 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 1:35 PM
Awesome idea!
I guess it means it helps to place any placable objects on certain surface slot?

Currently playing Sims 4 full collection. (and fixing my mods folder)
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 2:08 PM
I don't understand any of the technical stuff about slots & how things become slottable, so please forgive this dumb question.

Will houses in which this 'tool' has been used, then packaged, uploaded and subsequently downloaded still have everything placed just like it was at packaging? Does the tool have to be part of the upload package? From your description of it deleting itself, I wouldn't expect it to be picked up automatically in the lot packaging. I would expect it to require manual adding to the upload file. (Which is okay. Lot builders are accustomed to doing a lot of hand adding & deleting.)

Final question (not so dumb), what is your policy on sharing in uploaded lots?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 3:06 PM Last edited by netmicro : 29th Apr 2007 at 3:11 PM. Reason: rephrase
to Ailias and bluetexasbonnie,

Yes, this "endtable" can make any endtable-placeable objects to become IN ADDITION placeable on coffee tables and decorative slots, but only those that can already be placed on endtables (otherwise you can't operate; counterexamples: the Maxis game console, kitchen appliances) AND have gone through the instructions. Once the transformation is done it'll be saved with the lot, and you DON'T need to include this transformer to keep the effect (but if the object features "self-protection" which rewrites the modification, the only thing that helps is to override its BHAV--but I don't think such object exists yet).

I won't put a limiting policy on this object on sharing in uploaded lots--you can use it whichever way you want, even modify it, but just keep the credit. Anyway since it deletes itself in Live mode it's not that necessary to include it in uploaded lots. As a good habit, you should remove any transformer used before saving and exporting lots--or the lot downloaders not knowing such endtable will have trouble figuring out what that flashy thingy was which vanished immediately :D. But if you do save a lot with the transformer still present, it WILL be packaged.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 3:11 PM
This is extremely awesome. Thank you!

NEW! LESS SUCKS SIGNATURE!

COLOR TAGS ACTUALLY REMOVED!
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 3:13 PM
Thank you! I really appreciate the generousity in allowing builders to share the fruits of your labors.
Instructor
#9 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 4:23 PM
A truly ingenious idea. Well done. This should be featured. Thanks.

They call me The Seeker.
I've been searching low and high.
Test Subject
#10 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 7:41 PM
How is this different from other 'one more slot' items that can be downloaded here or from other sites?
I'm a sucker for clutter so the more the better...
Theorist
#11 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 7:54 PM
This is an interesting alternative to the One More Slot Packages (OMSPs) by JohnBrehaut1 and ariffrazalin. The big advantage of this approach is that successfully placed objects can be uploaded within a lot package as is without including an OMSP. A disadvantage is that unlike the OMSPs, Sims would not be able to use the Transformer during game play for placing objects such as books, newspapers and magazines - but of course this limitation could be an asset at times also.

I suspect that I will prefer to use the OMSPs because I find them so flexible. However, I admire this ingenious approach - thank you netmicro.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 11:01 PM
Hmm, I think I'll download this and give it a go. Thanks!
I remember the first time I noticed some dressers allowed object on top of them but I think the dresser I discovered this on was floored. Any object I placed on the dresser sank into the surface rather than sitting on top. I wonder if that was anything to do with the weighting of objects that you mention?

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Field Researcher
#13 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 1:39 AM Last edited by Canoodle : 12th Aug 2008 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Off Topic. Please read the Posting Guidelines.
Great job, and thank you for sharing it.

For a species that claims to be intellectually superior to all other life forms, humans do some stupid things.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 4:53 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Menaceman44
Hmm, I think I'll download this and give it a go. Thanks!
I remember the first time I noticed some dressers allowed object on top of them but I think the dresser I discovered this on was floored. Any object I placed on the dresser sank into the surface rather than sitting on top. I wonder if that was anything to do with the weighting of objects that you mention?

In fact I do have some downloaded dressers which have 3 decorative slots as inherited (cloned) from Maxis 3-slot dressers, but the mesher changed the model and thus the height of the object, and didn't modify the slot locations. As a consequence decorative objects will "sink" into the surface.

As long as the object is placed on/in the dresser, it's "slotted" and the weight parameter is either met or ignored. Otherwise it goes straight on the floor; you can move the dresser away and find the object. There will NEVER be the cases where objects are "too heavy" and AS A RESULT sunk into the container.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 5:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sophie-David
This is an interesting alternative to the One More Slot Packages (OMSPs) by JohnBrehaut1 and ariffrazalin...

Yes, I personally use OMSP too. But I designed this Transformer solely because I have been trying to put objects of my choice onto dressers (of various heights--no OMSP fits any of the dressers at least as far as I know) and suffered from a very limited set of objects.

This transformer is for designers to decorate the interior only and during the gameplay the decorations should do nothing (some of them will emit some scent or drug or whatever to boost motives :D). It's not really an "alternative" if one considers the usages of the OMSP and the Transformer. Of course I admit OMSP is more useful :D
Scholar
#16 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 9:19 AM
Ingenious ! In combination with the OMPs, it offers the opportunity to customise the game in our way. Thanks.

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 4:44 PM Last edited by Canoodle : 12th Aug 2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Off Topic. Please read the Posting Guidelines.
Awesome and amazing, thanks a lot.
Theorist
#18 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 7:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by netmicro
Yes, I personally use OMSP too. But I designed this Transformer solely because I have been trying to put objects of my choice onto dressers (of various heights--no OMSP fits any of the dressers at least as far as I know) and suffered from a very limited set of objects.
Ah yes, good point about the dressers! I have had success with the OMSPs and one or two of the dressers, because I can remember using OMSPs to put hairbrushes and cosmetics on a dresser. I can't tell you which dresser and OMSP combinations worked just now because I'm away from my home computer. But I can see that this package would be very useful for dressers.
Test Subject
#19 Old 3rd May 2007 at 11:28 PM Last edited by Canoodle : 12th Aug 2008 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Off Topic. Please read the Posting Guidelines.
its an awesome idea.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#20 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 9:15 AM
Very ingenious! Including the idea of a temporary object to be used as transformer, and then deletes itself. Bravo!

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 13th Jul 2007 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by netmicro
In fact I do have some downloaded dressers which have 3 decorative slots as inherited (cloned) from Maxis 3-slot dressers, but the mesher changed the model and thus the height of the object, and didn't modify the slot locations. As a consequence decorative objects will "sink" into the surface.

As long as the object is placed on/in the dresser, it's "slotted" and the weight parameter is either met or ignored. Otherwise it goes straight on the floor; you can move the dresser away and find the object. There will NEVER be the cases where objects are "too heavy" and AS A RESULT sunk into the container.

It that case it was a MAXIS error then as the dresser I discovered it on was a MAXIS object that shipped with one of the expansion packs.

And to keep this on topic: I'm very glad I chose to download this as I've been using it a fair bit. Thanks again.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Scholar
#22 Old 22nd Sep 2007 at 5:40 PM
Excellent! Thanks! :D

"What we say is good for nothing, if we say nothing for good.".
Mad Poster
#23 Old 13th May 2008 at 11:21 PM
I can't believe I've just come across this! Why isn't it on the first page? I use the OSMPs all the time but they do not always suit every application. I can't wait to try your ingenious tool to see if it fills in those holes! Thanks!!!
Inventor
#24 Old 1st Aug 2008 at 5:02 PM
Awesome I'm glad LordDarcy pointed us over here. I can't wait because there are so many small objects I have wanted to use all over my houses, Thanks
Field Researcher
#25 Old 10th Sep 2008 at 8:23 AM
Great idea! Thank you!

Alia vel Margierytka
Page 1 of 3