Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Oct 2007 at 1:46 PM
Default object lighting mess
I have built a new indoor waterfall to go with a spa I made. I used the "Florid font" waterfall. What I didnt realize was how screwy the lighting is on this object.

If you place it against a wall, it becomes a dark nightmare. Looks like it glows blue/black? This happens with the Maxis mesh, as well as all the custom ones I've seen.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or remove this function?

To see what I'm talking about just set the conditions to night time, and watch the fountain as you snap it to the tiles next to a wall.

Jimbo-
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 8th Oct 2007 at 6:40 PM
A few fairly good resolution screenshots might be helpful.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#3 Old 8th Oct 2007 at 8:53 PM
Sounds like a material definition problem, then again it also sounds like it could be a missing texture problem, they're blue/black

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 2:00 AM
Here are some pictures.

These are at night with no lighting on. but lights dont help at all.

one shot is the default maxis waterfall one tile away, and up against the wall, and the same with mine.

(it doesnt flash blue, its not a missing texture)
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 8:47 AM
I've canned using the waterfall as my base object to clone, so this isnt a problem for me anymore.

But it would still be nice to know why it happens on that object

Jimbo-
#6 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 8:54 AM
Could be your wall shadow was wrongly positioned, so you were actually looking at the object through its shadow rather than the shadow being up against the wall.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 12:26 PM
Wall shadows were deleted, but it happens on the default maxis object as well.

Whats funny, is if you turn it around so it faces the wall, it doesnt happen. It seems to me that the game thinks the fountain is outside, and lights it up like it is.
#8 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 12:36 PM
Something in the CRES must be off... Anyway you've sorted it another way now haven't you?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 9th Oct 2007 at 1:46 PM
Yes, I'm good to go now, thats for your suggestions too.

Jimbo-