Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Seasons-friendly Recolor of the Japanese Maple Tree

by nicvncnt Posted 11th Mar 2008 at 10:27 PM

26 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 24 Feedback Posts, 1 Thanks Posts
Thanks are currently OFF: Show Thanks Posts for this thread
Page 1 of 2
Field Researcher
#2 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 11:17 AM
Oh, this is such a cute tree, I love the maples and use them everywhere so this may make my hood more varied.

"Gag me with a reticulated spline!! You're not my cup of tea!" - The Nightlife Prima Guide
Field Researcher
#3 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 11:18 AM Last edited by Canoodle : 15th Mar 2008 at 5:31 AM. Reason: Converted to a 'thanks' post.
This is just brilliant! I can finally feel safe to use custom trees and autumn/winter. I love the autumn colour. Thankyou for working on this.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 1:51 PM
Oh thank you! I was so excited to see this! I've always wanted custom trees to change with seasons but was just not able to to it myself. Hope to see more, maybe resizes of Maxis trees? *wink wink* This was very nicely done! Thank you!
Field Researcher
#5 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 2:29 PM
Great work!What about other trees?

"What's the worst that I can say?
Things are better if I stay.
So long and goodnight,so long and goodnight."-Helena,My Chemical Romance
(( ))
// \\
Field Researcher
#6 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 3:04 PM
This looks really cute (and yeah, I'd be happy to see more stuff like this as well)! :D
Mad Poster
#7 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 4:53 PM
I can't wait to try this. I have the "flashing blue all over the place" problem too since I really am frustrated by the Maxi's trees or lack thereof..lol. If this is the tree replacement I think it is, it's so much better than the puny japanese maple in the game. Thanks and please feel free to keep up the good work!! :D
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 5:03 PM
Do you have a link to the tutorial? I was disappointed that the tree recolors I made for a halloween lot worked great...until Fall when they all turned blue. I asked what to do about it on the SimPE forum, but no one knew back then.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 5:11 PM
Wicked, thank you. I've been having problems with my trees at the moment so I look forward to more. :D

Garden of Shadows; for your goth side.
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 5:58 PM
Wonderful! Thanks so much this is so great to have!!!
Wiki Wizard
#11 Old 12th Mar 2008 at 7:23 PM
This is wonderful, thanks:D

It's ok, we all laugh-snort occasionally!
Check out some of my other stuff here.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 14th Mar 2008 at 2:01 AM
Great idea---I've always wanted someone to come up with a better version---amazing work!! (^_^)V!
Test Subject
#13 Old 15th Mar 2008 at 3:55 AM
Finally!!! I didn't like the flashing blue trees, and deleted all my custom trees.
Test Subject
#14 Old 24th Mar 2008 at 3:30 PM
I hate to say it, but it isn't correct with the passing seasons. The Japanese tree is one big mass of pink blossom in the spring..
I like the idea though!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 30th Mar 2008 at 11:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by moonslave
I hate to say it, but it isn't correct with the passing seasons. The Japanese tree is one big mass of pink blossom in the spring..
I like the idea though!

Oh no, the curse of Bon Voyage strikes again!

At least, I assume it's BV as there have been other reports of it breaking otherwise functional trees.

This recolor definitely works correctly with Seasons, but I don't have any later EP's so cannot currently test it with them.
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 6th Apr 2008 at 8:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by the evil writer
Do you have a link to the tutorial? I was disappointed that the tree recolors I made for a halloween lot worked great...until Fall when they all turned blue. I asked what to do about it on the SimPE forum, but no one knew back then.

I have also been asking around for an explanation about how to do this ... anyone know where Echo´s tutorial is ?

Rose
Test Subject
#17 Old 25th Apr 2008 at 7:34 PM
Default Pink blossoms..?
I like the idea though!

You mean it doesn't look like the screen shot in spring, but instead like a cherry tree? That actually sounds awesome!

(Downloading this!) :D
Test Subject
#18 Old 2nd May 2008 at 3:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mizz Rose Bud
I have also been asking around for an explanation about how to do this ... anyone know where Echo´s tutorial is ?

Rose

Rose, I found it here by searching MTS2 first by Member (for Echo), then on her page I looked for all threads started by her.
Test Subject
#19 Old 18th May 2008 at 8:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nicvncnt
Oh no, the curse of Bon Voyage strikes again!

At least, I assume it's BV as there have been other reports of it breaking otherwise functional trees.

This recolor definitely works correctly with Seasons, but I don't have any later EP's so cannot currently test it with them.

Well, I do not have BV, but I do have seasons, but I was referring to the outside world.. Wait, I'll give you a link
However, I love the green from your tree!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#20 Old 18th May 2008 at 10:17 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 18th May 2008 at 10:44 AM.
I'll try this -- I have Seasons and FT, but *not* BV. I'll let you know how it works .. I'd love to see useable custom trees in my game again! Fingers crossed =)

ETA: Works exactly as advertised in my game -- Spring texture is identical to the Summer one, just like shown in the screens in the OP. Not that I'd have minded cherry blossoms too much .. but they appear to be a BV-only thing.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th May 2008 at 4:35 PM
Well, I do not have BV, but I do have seasons, but I was referring to the outside world.

Thanks Moonslave. I now see that I misunderstood you - you are saying that the tree *should* be a mass of pink blossom in spring. Of course, you are right, but unfortunately Maxis did not assign a unique texture to this tree for spring - spring and summer share the same textures. As this is only a recolor, not a clone, I can only replace textures that already exist in the base object, which is why there cannot be any pink blossom in spring.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 19th May 2008 at 1:24 PM
Thanks Hannova

Too bad that we can´t have that tree with four seasons, it would look so beautiful with blossoms in the spring.

Rose
Mad Poster
#23 Old 23rd May 2008 at 7:04 PM
Oh, this is great!! I love Japanese maples IRL but the ones in game are so puny I never use them...these are beautifully full and lush looking! Thanks!!
Test Subject
#24 Old 16th Jan 2009 at 1:13 AM
this will make a perfec addition to my garden
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 6th Mar 2009 at 2:08 PM
thanks, does it shed the leaves in the fall?
Page 1 of 2