Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in
Replies: 2 (Who?), Viewed: 4512 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Apr 2008 at 1:05 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default No vaild codec! Help!

Okay, I'm trying to make a sims2 video. Now when I press video this thing pops up and says no vaild codec found it will not switch to uncompressed yada yada. I've searched and found what codec I should use. It said On2 VP6.1. I tried to change it. I changed it and it didn't make any difference! Can someone please help me?

Advertisement
Super Moderator
staff: super moderator
#2 Old 21st Apr 2008 at 12:01 PM
Dear nicnicchely,

Thank you for posting in the MTS2 Help section. In order to better solve your problem, please go through the following steps as listed below:

This is NOT multiple choice! You must read and go through ALL the FAQs!
  • General - Do the Game Problem FAQ
    You appear to have not gone through our main Game Help:Game Problemwiki FAQ. Please go through and do the steps on this FAQ, including any others that it links to (for example the Game Help:Game Problem-Problem Custom Contentwiki FAQ).

Usually, in the vast majority of cases, actually going through and doing the steps (doing, not just reading) fixes issues - sometimes you may be asked to remove custom content, or to patch - please rest assured that all of our FAQs have been tested by our staff and volunteers and we wouldn't suggest you do something unless it's been known to fix particular issues.

Please read through all of the FAQs above! Doing only one or two of them (when more exist) will usually result in delays not fixing your particular problem.

On occasion you might be asked to do a long FAQ - please make sure you do all the steps and don't just skip over them. You'll often find that these long FAQs have all the details you need. If nothing in the above FAQs fixes your problem you may post again detail exactly which you have done and which steps failed.

Regards,
MTS2 Staff

This is a system generated message
A missing part of me that grows around me like a cage
staff: retired moderator
#3 Old 22nd Apr 2008 at 2:53 PM
The VP6 codec is included with the game, so it should work just fine. How exactly did you try to change the codec? The ini file which tells the game which codec to use is located in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ config, it is called ConfigVideoCapture.ini. You can cause the game to generate a clean copy by removing the entire Config folder and then running the game (save your old one if you have any modified config files or a userstartup.cheat file though). If this doesn't work then try changing the preferred codec in ConfigVideoCapture.ini to one you know you do have on your system- I've never tried this so I can't be more specific! Alternatively, try replacing your VP6 codec with the one from your Sims2 basegame install disc- it should be in a folder called VP6, a file called vp6vfw.dll (I have the CD version of the basegame and it is on my Disc 1). It goes in Windows/ System32- you can just let it overwrite the existing file.

I will choose a path that's clear- I will choose free will
RUSH

Section jump