Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Aug 2008 at 9:30 PM Last edited by groovilicious : 23rd Oct 2008 at 5:40 PM.
Default Maxis Master/Slave objects - how to know... {SOLVED}
How do you know which Maxis original object is a Master? For instance, I learned from Ignorant Bliss' tutorial that the Colonial Ironwood bed's bedding is the Maxis Master for all the beds in the game - but what about the other objects?

In particular I'm unsure about loveseat/sofa/armchair sets. When I was recoloring a seating set (the Baroccoco set for example) I was playing a guessing game about whether to recolor just the sofa, loveseat or armchair in the set, and because I didn't know which was the master, I recolored all 3 and wound up with 3 entries in my catalog for the same recolor. Same with the counter sets.

I'm considering the repository technique for a sofa-matching rug, and I need to know which Maxis seat in the set (sofa, loveseat or armchair?) is the one the others take their textures from.

Is there a way to suss out the Maxis Master/Slave by looking in the packages of particular objects, and what am I looking for?
Or, is there a list of the Maxis Master objects in existence somewhere? (~~crossing my fingers that someone's already listed them somewhere~~)

Thanks in advance for your kind consideration!
Advertisement
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#2 Old 9th Oct 2008 at 4:32 PM
I know this is slightly old, but that information comes with the CEP documentation. There is a very large and awesome excel spreadsheet that lays out the recolorable subsets and what is slave/master.
Instructor
#3 Old 10th Oct 2008 at 6:10 AM
Sweet! Thank you HugeLunatic! I was wondering the same thing not too long ago!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 23rd Oct 2008 at 5:31 PM
Wow! Thanks so much!
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#5 Old 23rd Oct 2008 at 6:09 PM
The definitive way to see which is the master of a multi-tile object is to open each OBJD and the one with the Multi-tile subindex == FFFF is the master.

This does not apply to single tile objects, but obviously you only have one OBJD to choose in those anyway.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 8:50 PM
Sweet! Thank you Inge! ~filing this information in a text file~
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 27th Oct 2008 at 9:09 PM
Also when you clone an object and the Scenegraph Rename Wizard comes up, that tells you what's inside that file. It should list all the different types of files (Whether it be TXMT, GMDC, or TXTR, GMDC, SLOT everything) and if the TXTR(s) is/are absent then it's a slave to another object, then you can cancel there and clone another object.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#8 Old 28th Oct 2008 at 12:12 AM
this, in most cases is true, but not always. A surface doesn't require always a texture; sometimes a Material Definition is enough (transparent glass, lamp bulbs, object covered with uniform colours).
Using Inge's words, the definitive way to know if an object is "slave" is looking into the GMND: if there is a tsMaterialsMeshName block containing a reference to an external CRES, then it's a slave object.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#9 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 10:42 PM
Hi
I am having a problem following a subset tutorial by Targa (no longer visits site) and I am not sure where to ask for help? It is step 4 of this tutorial http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=57149.
I have extracted a material definition, and all goes ok until I reach this bit....

If you are planning on using a custom Material Definition that's not glass, (for example, you extracted one from a different package that has the reflectivity or other attributes that you want for your new sub-object's texture), or a custom texture file you have already extracted, where Step 4 says "right-click and select Clone", you'll need to right-click in the right pane and select "Add", and add your custom files.

I cannot get to step 5.

I feel sure I am doing something dumb, and my package is nowhere near in a good state for submitting to object repair, if someone could clarify that would be great
The ModFather
retired moderator
#10 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 11:17 PM
I understand Step 4 this way: Targa provides a Material definition "ready to use", but that can't possibly match everyone's needs and tastes; if you have different needs, then you must create yourself a suitable Material Definition (possibly with its associated texture) to import in your package.

If you are still "learning" the tutorial, and it's the first time you do it, I suggest you to follow the directions, using the provided files.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#11 Old 30th Oct 2008 at 12:29 AM Last edited by leesester : 2nd Nov 2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: solved
Default found the ignorant bliss tutorial
Hi thanks for reply, but I cannot use the existing files, there is nothing there (the rar folder at the top with the flamingo is NOT a rar folder), so I am using the rewritten tute from targa as he is more generic in his approach.

now using ignorantbliss tutorial