Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 3:59 PM
Default Repository a slave to multiple masters? Is it possible?
Let's just say I want to make a sofa set-matching rug, and I want to link a (slave) rug to several different (master) Maxis sofa sets... Is it possible and if so, how do I do it?

I have dutifully searched the forums, and even participated in a thread I thought was applicable but was not, so thank you in advance for your kind consideration!
Advertisement
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#2 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 4:41 PM
I don't believe that's possible. You may be able to link separate recolourable subsets of the same item to multiple Maxis objects (for example, a chair might be able to have the frame linked to another Maxis chair's frame, and the seat linked to curtains or bedding) but the actual slave linking is done to one specific object, thus you'd have to have separate rugs for each couch you want to link to.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 5:02 PM
Thank you for the quick response! I was hoping that there was a way to 'add' subsets to the GMDC, SHPE, and GMND in addition to 'replacing' as done in IgnorantBliss' tutorial... It was worth hoping for anyway! Wouldn't it be nifty to have a 1x2 rug that pulled *all* the different shower curtains textures? :D
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#4 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 5:17 PM
There may be a way I don't know about - I'll fully admit I'm not the most accomplished of creators, but I'm pretty sure it's not possible to link to multiple objects for a single subset due to the way slave objects work. It would be mighty cool to have an object that did that, but it would also be cool if I had a pony and a jetpack, and I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 5th Aug 2008 at 5:25 PM
Thanks for the giggle! Keep hope alive!
Fluffy
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Aug 2008 at 8:51 AM
groovilicious,

i have to second HP on this, in that it's not possible, using the normal repository technique, to link a subset to different masters.
the best you could do without messing with bhavs, is to make two subsets (if it's a rug, it shouldn't be a poly heavy mesh anyway), basically the same mesh twice, and link those to different maxis colour sets. You can only do that for two, since they'll both take up one line in the catalog.

Now, i'm going to go out on a limb here (and far out of my comfort zone), and assume that using bhavs, it might just be possible. It'll probably involve new pie menus and whatnot.
Echo and, i think Inge, have at some point made a window that you could 'open', that basically switched to a different texture if you clicked on 'open' or 'close' in the pie menu. If you're still inclined, you could have a look at that one.
Also, i hope i'm not misquoting creators here.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Aug 2008 at 3:46 PM
I am familiar with Inge's Autoshade, which has a pie menu to open and close, and even a timer option. So, I think I understand what you're saying, but I don't believe I'm motivated enough to try to mess with BHAVs to accomplish this. You're right in that the rug meshes I've been fooling with are VERY low poly (just planes) - so it's not a huge deal for game space to have more than one rug... perhaps I will play with adding subsets. During my wishful thinking, I never had it in mind that adding a subset meant adding an additional mesh - that's something to consider as well. I know that I've seen more than one subset that contains a duplicate mesh in a jewelry set I downloaded, but I'm assuming that's completely different and off-topic. I'll search about for instructions on adding a subset for a duplicate mesh, and take another peek inside Inge's autoshade. Thanks so much for your kind response!