Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 8:24 PM
Could someone help me with this modding problem????
Hello, I recentlly got the DMA Npc's. I absolutely love everything. However, I have a medieval hood, and some of the objects don't fit in with that era. I had this tutorial that I saved right from MTS2 on how to replace NPC's outfits and it explained how to extract and replace meshes and textures.
So I copied the Dma set before I began so I would have a backup.

Okay, I opened the stove package file. It looks just like the most expensive one in game. I was going to do the same thing as the tutorial said by replacing the meshes and textures with Lethe_s' oven mesh and textures. http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=72971 , only these do not have meshes.

I thought that perhaps these were just cloned, but they're not. All of the npc's objects, that were based on maxis meshes, show up with the custom colors that I have of the original maxis meshes. I believe then these are called slave files, and I have no idea exactly how they work, only that they need the object with the original textures to work correctly and in this case they came with the game.

What course of action would I take from here? Do I have to extract the behaves, and things, and paste them into a new package file with Lethe_s' mesh? Could someone help me? I would look for a tutorial before I even posted, but I'm not sure where to begin. Please? I'm eager to learn. I want to do the whole set.

Thank you.
Advertisement
The ModFather
retired moderator
#2 Old 17th Oct 2008 at 8:59 PM
If you want to replace the exterior look of an object, the easiest thing is to do the following:

1) Open lethe's stove and extract all the resources in group 0x1c050000
2) extract also the Text List 0x85
3) in the DMA stove, delete all the resources in group 0x1c050000 and the text list 0x85
4) import in the DMA stove all the files extracted earlier
5) save and test in game: if you are lucky, it will work fine In particular, test if the clean/dirty textures are correctly switched.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Oct 2008 at 9:35 PM
THANK YOU! (yes, the mod father *Numenor* was talking too me! Ha! Ha! *claps hands*
Thanks!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 20th Oct 2008 at 11:39 PM
No, it didn't work right. I turned on the testingcheats and set the state to dirty. It used the original maxis stove texture. Then I set it back to clean, and it turned that flashing blue color, that they do when you don't have something installed properly. (tried ultra clean, but that doesn't work either, I really don't even know what that one is supposed to do.)
The ModFather
retired moderator
#5 Old 21st Oct 2008 at 12:11 AM
Oh! You're right, I forgot one important step.
You have to extract from Lethe's stove also the Text Lists 0x87 and 0x88; use them to replace the ones in the DMA stove.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 10:58 PM
Yes, that worked! And I successfully (I'm pretty sure anyway, my computers having the hiccups at the moment) replaced the hottub with the simstones... It didn't have the same text files, but I replaced 85 and 88. (maybe 87, it's kinda late... forgive me, but it was the text files that were the same in both packages.

I have one more question however...

I want to replace the guitar and bass. But they are both in the same package file. I want to replace the bass with atavera's contra bass and replace the guitar with either his acoustic guitar, or the banjo over at sapphiresims2.com.

How would I do it? I mean they each have their own text lists, but their is only one of each in the Dma guitars package file. (I'm going to use feeEseen's organ for the piano.)

Please help!!!!

Sparklies Bro who is too lazy to get own account....

Ps. Any drum suggestons
The ModFather
retired moderator
#7 Old 29th Oct 2008 at 11:10 PM
Musical instruments are different, and more difficult, because guitars and basses are composed by TWO objects (the stand and the instrument itself); what you have to do is follow the procedure explained in my post #2, operating on the actual instrument (this time, Text Lists 0x87 and 0x88 are not used, so skip that part). I can't be more precise, because I don't know exactly how the DMA packages are composed.