Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM
Locked thread | Replies: 506 (Who?), Viewed: 112483 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorial: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=102356[/url]
Page 1 of 21
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Dec 2004 at 3:47 AM Last edited by pinhead : 13th Dec 2004 at 7:48 PM.
Default Tutorial: How to add more Texture Options to Objects
New tutorial with images:

http://72.9.230.162/showthread.php?t=31975
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip MMAT.zip (51.6 KB, 4241 downloads) - View custom content
16 users say thanks for this. (Who?)
Advertisement
#2 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 9:12 AM
I finished up fridge lol. It didn't come out too well it work but it looks kinda funny, do you know what writing it is that showed up lmao.

the only thing about the txt i changed was what looked like the front of the fridge to navy blue... its far from navy blue lol. what happened?
File Type: rar Screenshot.rar (360.3 KB, 822 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 9:24 AM
*lol*
Have to be some sort of new collection, I have made a couple myself this morning...
This is how my stuff turned out... The fridge supposed to be blue and the bedding should have been blue with stars... *lol* :D
Screenshots
Test Subject
#4 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 10:32 AM
Hi Teacher, I would like to know what SimPE won't do?

Thanks Quaxi and pinhead.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 1:16 PM
Okey, this is only getting weirder and weirder...
Tried the bed again, feel free to check out the movie attached...
Flashing bed..?
I wonder what I'm doing wrong here... *lol*
File Type: rar movie006.rar (1.68 MB, 484 downloads) - View custom content
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#6 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 1:28 PM
Pinhead,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write all this out. Very well done.

I decided to start with retexturing bedding, and the first one I tried came out perfectly, although it's ugly because I didn't spend any time on a texture for a trial run

However when I tried to repeat the process I simply wasn't getting anywhere. Spent hours on it. If I used the body~stdMatBaseTextureName_txtr filename, I'd get the hourglass cursor spinning forever when I tried to buy a new bed, forcing me to force exit the game. If I used a texture name of my own, I'd get the object showing up in the catalog, but with the snazzy blue and black flashing texture. Not that it doesn't make an interesting bed, but not what I was looking for

Turns out as far as I can tell the error was actually the fault of Photoshop. The file I was working with was 72 DPI, but when I saved it as a BMP from photoshop (so that I could then use TXTR extractor), Photoshop was saving it as 71 dpi. Saving the file to bitmap from another program seems to have done the trick.

I thought I'd post this in case anyone else is having the same problem. right click on your bitmap image in explorer, chack the advanced properties... if windows is reporting it as 71 dpi, that might be the trouble.

Thanks again, Pinhead. Very cool.

RG

Editted to add: BitzyBus, if you're using photoshop, maybe it's this same problem? I don't know for sure that this is what fixed it, but it's the only thing I can think of that I did differently this last try that worked.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 2:59 PM
No I'm not using photoshop and I checked the files and they are in 72 DPI...
It was when I tried using my own filename I got the flashing bed above too... When I'm using the one in the tutorial I get all this numbers and stuff...
Don't really know what I'm doing wrong...
#8 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 3:24 PM
BitzyBus,

I feel your pain. I was going through the same thing yesterday. I got some with all the letters on it as well as a plain white untextured set. The numbers and letters were in fact the texture name I had specified. I seem to be having more luck today.

Oh, another thing I'm doing differently is to never use - or _ in the texture name (except _txtr of course) or the package file name (which the hash is generated from). That and not saving my BMPs with photoshop are the only things I'm doing differently from last night when I had all the flashing blue images and such.

Luck.
RG
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 4:30 PM
Yes I'm about to go crazy on this... ;-)
I have just made a stereo that flashes in blue and black, VERY nice... Or maybe not... ;-) This time I used the suggested name in the tutorial and not my own and it flashes anyway... I have checked the images and they are in 72 dpi and I have no - or _ in the names... Arggghhh, I badly want this to work...
#10 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 5:00 PM
I had meant to ask earlier, for pinhead or anyone else...

Have you yet tried making new texture options for any object that can get dirty (tub, counter, etc.)? I see that they have unique textures for clean and dirty, rather than the dirt being an overlay. If anyone has tried this, do the clean and dirty versions of the textures have the same hash, or different?

Thanks for any advice here

RG
#12 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 5:44 PM
In looking over the MMAT files for the dirty-clean texture sets (a shower curtain in this case) I see that each color set is it's own "family" (a dtString like 633a81ea-a294-4600-bd10-7e2d3565a209). And then they have different MaterialStateFlags and ObjectStateIndex for clean and dirty inside each "Family".

Does this suggest we can't retexture objects that have clean and dirty states until some clever person figures out how to generate a correct "Family" string?

Thanks again
RG
#13 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 7:59 PM
So far I'm getting a strange effect when I try to add a new texture option to that shower curtain. I have made both clean and dirty versions of the texture, and both seem to be just fine. After making sure the packages were ok, I combined them into a single package just to be tidy. I get this same efect whether I use the combined package or separate packages for clean/dirty.

When I buy the shower, my new texture shows up in the catalog. Both the large and small thumbnails are generated correctly. When I try to pull it into the game, however, I get the red shower curtain, which is the default for that object. When the object gets dirty, suddenly the retexture appears (the dirty version, as it should be). But as soon as the object is cleaned, it goes back to using the texture for the default curtain.

I get this effect whether I use the original "family" string for the texture set and if I... er... make up a new one

Any ideas?

Cheers,
RG
Instructor
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 8:23 PM
i think i will write a new tutorial explain how to import the textures using TXTR Extractor
I use TXTR Extractor and all of my textures show up correctly.
I will write this today later
don't worry people!
Instructor
Original Poster
#15 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 8:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles
However when I tried to repeat the process I simply wasn't getting anywhere. Spent hours on it. If I used the body~stdMatBaseTextureName_txtr filename, I'd get the hourglass cursor spinning forever when I tried to buy a new bed, forcing me to force exit the game..

This happened to me when i was testing using the import texture process in SimPE plugin. But if you use TXTR Extractor this won't happen.
Don't worry, i will try to explain later how to do it correctly!
Instructor
Original Poster
#16 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 8:30 PM Last edited by pinhead : 12th Dec 2004 at 11:38 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitzyBus
No I'm not using photoshop and I checked the files and they are in 72 DPI...
It was when I tried using my own filename I got the flashing bed above too... When I'm using the one in the tutorial I get all this numbers and stuff...
Don't really know what I'm doing wrong...

When you use your own filename you must click in Assing Hash and after that click in Fix TGI. The numbers are generated and you need them to edit the Groups for TXTR and MATD..
Instructor
Original Poster
#17 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 8:37 PM
Quote:
I had meant to ask earlier, for pinhead or anyone else...

Have you yet tried making new texture options for any object that can get dirty (tub, counter, etc.)? I see that they have unique textures for clean and dirty, rather than the dirt being an overlay. If anyone has tried this, do the clean and dirty versions of the textures have the same hash, or different?

Thanks for any advice here

RG

Yes! I'm working on a stove. But i don't edit the pictures yet.
It's a good question. I will try and see what should be done.
#18 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 8:40 PM
Thanks, pinhead. I have it working just fine now. I was using TXTR Extractor, however the image I was compressing with it had the wrong dpi. But now it's fixed.

If you have any ideas on how to retexture the objects that have a clean and dirty state, I'd really appreciate it.

BTW, if you're going to use the image from the LIFO file to create a new txtr file, you never need to extract the original TXTR. It will only be overwritten completely or removed later. I have been skipping this step and the results are good.

RG
Instructor
Original Poster
#19 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 8:44 PM Last edited by pinhead : 10th Dec 2004 at 1:23 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentechd
I made addition recolor for the refrig as a test case - but then I loose the Blue recolor of the refrig that Phevers did. Removing mine and his showed back up. Obviously a conflict but where?

Is there a max ## of added texture choices an object can have? I added 4 textures to an item worked fine - added a 5th and all but the maxis original options disappeared.

I don't know.. If you use the phervers package as a Base to your new color, i think you forgot to change the instances or groups with the new hash generated by SimPE. Go look through and if you don't find anything wrong, open the phervers' friedge and change the Instance of Model Material to the same number of the TXTR and MATD groups of pherver's package. Please! It's a little error that phervers forgot to change.

i have 10+ new alienwares.. lol! i don't know if have a max number of texture options.. maybe. The moderate fridge have a lot of colors already. I will go check it out.
Instructor
Original Poster
#20 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 8:49 PM Last edited by pinhead : 8th Dec 2004 at 11:34 PM.
Quote:
In looking over the MMAT files for the dirty-clean texture sets (a shower curtain in this case) I see that each color set is it's own "family" (a dtString like 633a81ea-a294-4600-bd10-7e2d3565a209). And then they have different MaterialStateFlags and ObjectStateIndex for clean and dirty inside each "Family".

Does this suggest we can't retexture objects that have clean and dirty states until some clever person figures out how to generate a correct "Family" string?

Thanks again
RG

I was thinking about this Family's hashing thing, but i create so many textures using the same family hash and nothing wrong happens.. i don't know..
The Material state flags are different for the game knows that one state is Clean and the other Dirty. You have to pay atention to this numbers and try to extract the original MMAT of each type (clean and dirty).

I don't tested yet, but i will go check.
#21 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 8:57 PM
Yes, I did extract separate MMATs and MATDs for each clean and dirty. The only thing I can think of is how does the game know when there is a "dirty" texture, which one to use? Well, it looks like it is the Family. For each color, they use a different family... only on objects that have a Dirty state. I was doing bedding before, and it appears to me all bedding is in one Family, but for Shower Curtain, each color has a different Family which the clean and dirty states share.

Interesting what I'm getting so far, because I know it can read my texture. The clean version appears in the thumbnail, and the dirty version appears on the actual object when it gets dirty.

Hope you have more luck than I've had so far. I was just extracting another set of material files to compare with the one I've already got.

RG
Instructor
Original Poster
#22 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 8:58 PM Last edited by pinhead : 8th Dec 2004 at 11:28 PM.
Quote:
So far I'm getting a strange effect when I try to add a new texture option to that shower curtain. I have made both clean and dirty versions of the texture, and both seem to be just fine. After making sure the packages were ok, I combined them into a single package just to be tidy. I get this same efect whether I use the combined package or separate packages for clean/dirty.

If you have choose a texture that have clean and dirty states, please put the two textures in the same package. This is for when delete the texture in catalog, all 2 states are deleted and the dirty state don't stay useless in download folder.

Quote:
When I buy the shower, my new texture shows up in the catalog. Both the large and small thumbnails are generated correctly. When I try to pull it into the game, however, I get the red shower curtain, which is the default for that object. When the object gets dirty, suddenly the retexture appears (the dirty version, as it should be). But as soon as the object is cleaned, it goes back to using the texture for the default curtain.

I get this effect whether I use the original "family" string for the texture set and if I... er... make up a new one

Any ideas?

Cheers,
RG

I think i forgot to say one thing. When you see the texture in SimPE plugin, make sure to delete the Lifo reference on the texture.
This is why you see the red texture in close. Lifo are the textures used when you Close the camera in a object. I sugest you to use LIFO to edit the textures and create 10 Mipmaps for the texture. This makes the lifo reference turn in a texture and not an external reference. But don't forget to delete the Lifo reference if it show up in PlugIn View
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 9:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead
i think i will write a new tutorial explain how to import the textures using TXTR Extractor
I use TXTR Extractor and all of my textures show up correctly.
I will write this today later
don't worry people!

Thank you!! I'm looking forward to it, maybe I can figure out what I'm doing wrong...
#24 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 9:09 PM
Pinhead,

I'm Using the LIFO images to generate entirely new TXTR files. Thee are no references to the LIFO. in these new files. I generate an entirely new TXTR with TXTR Extractor. So, nope, that's not the problem. Unfortunately. But thanks for the suggestion.

As I said, I am entirely skipping the step of extracting the original TXTR files, since these only get over-written anyway. Works perfectly. It's an unneccesay step in the process.

And yes, I am putting both the clean and dirty versions in a single file. I'm still getting the dirty one to show up in game, but not the clean one. Will certainly post what I did to make it work if I ever can.

RG
Instructor
Original Poster
#25 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 9:09 PM Last edited by pinhead : 13th Dec 2004 at 7:49 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gleesto
I finished up fridge lol. It didn't come out too well it work but it looks kinda funny, do you know what writing it is that showed up lmao.

the only thing about the txt i changed was what looked like the front of the fridge to navy blue... its far from navy blue lol. what happened?

Gleesto, i think you have to exclude the LIFO references in your texture. use the plugin view and delete the lifo references. Don't forget to create 2 new texture sizes for replace this references. One image have 256 pxs and the other have 512 pixels in the bigger size.

Get this example and see what i done:
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 21