Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM
Locked thread | Replies: 506 (Who?), Viewed: 112483 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorial: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=102356[/url]
Page 2 of 21
Instructor
Original Poster
#26 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 9:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles
Pinhead,

I'm Using the LIFO images to generate entirely new TXTR files. Thee are no references to the LIFO. in these new files. I generate an entirely new TXTR with TXTR Extractor. So, nope, that's not the problem. Unfortunately. But thanks for the suggestion.

As I said, I am entirely skipping the step of extracting the original TXTR files, since these only get over-written anyway. Works perfectly. It's an unneccesay step in the process.

And yes, I am putting both the clean and dirty versions in a single file. I'm still getting the dirty one to show up in game, but not the clean one. Will certainly post what I did to make it work if I ever can.

RG

lol!
i don't know what happen.. well, i didn't tested yet make a recolor to a object with clean and dirty. i will see this later. i hope we can do it!
Instructor
Original Poster
#27 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 9:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitzyBus
Okey, this is only getting weirder and weirder...
Tried the bed again, feel free to check out the movie attached...
Flashing bed..?
I wonder what I'm doing wrong here... *lol*

When you see this blink thing it's a sign that your package have an error. Something related to the groups, instances and subtypes. When all you guys see this happen, go to package and look for something wrong.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 9:43 PM
im confused..... course that doesn't take a lot!
gawd, i wish someone would just make a program exactaly like body shop only for objects. SimPE Im sure is great but my PC hates it for some reason. We need a program that will load an object base on a screen then export it to <named project folder> ect ect then re import it like body shop does. There by associatin all the files with it so people like me <a lil slower then most> don't have to lol. Im good with pictures lmao anything else just makes my hair roots hurt. Great tutorial though pinhead. And I hope for those of you that are able to recolor some of this stuff will please share it with the rest of us lol. hint hint ahem... ok back to browsing ..... great work ya'll

rain :p

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Don't compare your life to others,
You have no idea what their journey is about.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Instructor
Original Poster
#29 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 9:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmicrain
gawd, i wish someone would just make a program exactaly like body shop only for objects. SimPE Im sure is great but my PC hates it for some reason. We need a program that will load an object base on a screen then export it to <named project folder> ect ect then re import it like body shop does. There by associatin all the files with it so people like me <a lil slower then most> don't have to lol. Im good with pictures lmao anything else just makes my hair roots hurt. Great tutorial though pinhead. And I hope for those of you that are able to recolor some of this stuff will please share it with the rest of us lol. hint hint ahem... ok back to browsing ..... great work ya'll

rain :p

Phervers told me that he is working in a tool to make our lives much easy to do recolors. Don't worry! Maybe soon we can see this tool.
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#30 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 9:55 PM
OK, I managed to add a texture option to an object with clean and dirty states. Hooray.

First of all I put _clean and _dirty in the internal filenames (for TXTR and so on). Tested that ingame, and I still got the original color of the object (the color I started with, not the default color for the object) although the Thumbnails showed my new texture. But it may be necessary anyway so I'm including it.

Then I changed the Family string. I made it up completely, just making sure it had the correct amount of characters and the dashes in the right places and such. This worked. Both the clean and dirty states now show up as they should in game.

Oh, I made a separate file for each, so they would have different hashes (the hash is created from the filename). And then I extracted all of the files from dirty state and imported those files into the one with the clean state to create a single merged package file.

I don't know why my first one didn't work. Maybe because I only changed a few numbers in the Family rather than replacing it with a totally new string, and maybe because I had started with what was the default texture for the object... even though I *had* changed the "defaultMaterial" setting to 0 for False.

At any rate, yay, it worked. Thank you again, Pinhead, for typing up such excellent instructions. This is so much fun.

RG
Instructor
#31 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 10:02 PM Last edited by Motoki : 8th Dec 2004 at 10:06 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozmicrain

Well don't feel bad because I'm confused and I've dug through SimPE, hexedited before, used complex 3D modeling programs, done programming etc.

It seems like you have to jump through a flaming hoop on the the second full moon in July on a tuesday just to recolor an object and even then it doesn't seem to work right. I'll be extremely thankful if Phervers or anyone else could greatly simplify this process.
Instructor
Original Poster
#32 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 10:05 PM
Quote:
Oh, I made a separate file for each, so they would have different hashes (the hash is created from the filename). And then I extracted all of the files from dirty state and imported those files into the one with the clean state to create a single merged package file.

Well, i'm glad that worked!!! cool!
I was thinking about that too. Create 2 separate packages, just to had different hashes and after all done, mixed up in a single package.
Well done, RGiles!

Quote:
even though I *had* changed the "defaultMaterial" setting to 0 for False.

Now i see. Don't need change the default material to false if this not writing as True.

Quote:
At any rate, yay, it worked. Thank you again, Pinhead, for typing up such excellent instructions. This is so much fun.

RG

I'm glad for you!! And for me too! lol
I need other options of objects colors to download. Maybe soon we could find other colors on the net. But make them free, pleaaassee! lol
#33 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead
Now i see. Don't need change the default material to false if this not writing as True.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. It's getting a little lost in translation. On the first shower curtain I tried to retexture, I used the red version for the base, which happens to be the default texture for that object. In the MMAT for the clean version of it, "defaultMaterial" was set to TRUE, so I changed it to FALSE. Was that the right thing to do?

Cheers,
RG
Instructor
Original Poster
#34 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 11:16 PM
You are right!
For make another color to objects that have more states (like clean and dirty) you have to change the family hash number in MMAT for the object don't use the base color. This is curious.

And you have to create one package for each state separately (one for clean and other for dirty). After you made all the changes, extract all contents for one package and import them to the other.

For what i said before, i will try to explain better:

You have to change only the "name (dtString)" in MMAT to the name of your texture. You have to change to FALSE only in "defaultMaterial (dtBoolean)" if is set to TRUE. The other things you don't need to change anything. Now we discover that the family hash have to be changed to objects that have 2 states.
#35 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 11:30 PM
Thank you pinhead. That is what I thought you meant about the defaultMaterial.

I'm glad changing the Family also worked for you on items with more than one state.

I am now very curious whether changing the Family on an item that does not have color options already will add new color options to it. I will try this out soon. It probably won't work, but hey, anything is worth a try, right?

Cheers,
RG
Lab Assistant
#36 Old 8th Dec 2004 at 11:59 PM
I finally got my blue fridge!! *lol* Tested the bed again too but the computer freezes when i choose it som there is something wrong with it...
Instructor
Original Poster
#37 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 12:02 AM Last edited by pinhead : 9th Dec 2004 at 12:05 AM.
Now i have a problem.
I don't know, but the texture for the stove that i made disappear. lol!
Only the thumbnail is show up.
dammit!

RGiles, what do you made exactly with the family hash number? Could you to attach your file here as an example? if you don't mind.
Instructor
Original Poster
#38 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 12:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitzyBus
I finally got my blue fridge!! *lol* Tested the bed again too but the computer freezes when i choose it som there is something wrong with it...

I'm glad that you did it!
#39 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 12:10 AM Last edited by RGiles : 9th Dec 2004 at 12:12 AM.
I will certainly try attaching it Pinhead.

The original Family hash was 8c12b482-eeba-4611-be1a-36b229dbf429 (the linen shower curtain)

Edited to add: It looks to me like we can't add texture options for items that don't already have some because those files do not have a MMAT. Is that right? I'm very cheeky. I am going to try creating my own MMAT for an object and then adding options. I expect to fail :D

RG
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: zip showercurtain.zip (57.5 KB, 160 downloads) - View custom content
Instructor
Original Poster
#40 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 12:12 AM
Quote:
I don't know why my first one didn't work. Maybe because I only changed a few numbers in the Family rather than replacing it with a totally new string, and maybe because I had started with what was the default texture for the object... even though I *had* changed the "defaultMaterial" setting to 0 for False.

RG

Oh! I think is my problem now. Because i changed all the numbers and show up, but i open the file again and change only a few numbers in Hash Family. I will try again change all to see if this is my problem.

Instructor
Original Poster
#41 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 12:18 AM Last edited by pinhead : 9th Dec 2004 at 12:22 AM.
Quote:
Edited to add: It looks to me like we can't add texture options for items that don't already have some because those files do not have a MMAT. Is that right? I'm very cheeky. I am going to try creating my own MMAT for an object and then adding options. I expect to fail :D

RG

Yes. You're right.
Only objects that have MMATs we can add more colors. I think if we create a MMAT to the Default color and set to TRUE in MMAT, we can make other colors. I think, not tested yet.. but this is impossible because if you create one and share it and other person creates one an share it also, maybe will cause conflicts...

btw, thanks for the curtains! i like it!
#42 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 12:18 AM
Default Thank you
Thank you i will look at it, i did use what you said in the past in a PM b4 the site change. How to make 11 from starting out with a Lifo file and then in pherver's tool file > new and it would generate all the smaller pics for me... I'm going to look at this and i'll write ya back if i need a bit more help. THanx Brazilian Buddy!!! :o
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 1:12 AM
Yes, I finally got my pink stereo to work... *lol*
But I have a couple of questions...

The thumbnail for the fridge doesn't show the right colour in the "buy menu", it's still white there but it's blue when you grab it... Is it something I missed to fix..?

And I cant get the bedding to work and when I look at the original texture file the first 3 images is the size 6x3 but everytime I close the file and opens it up again the files has changed to 8x4...??? What's going on with that..?
Instructor
Original Poster
#44 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 1:43 AM
hmmm. I don't know.
About the thumbnail, maybe you forgot to change MMAT with the name of your texture or forgot to change the instance with the hash number of the texture generated by SimPE. Or i'm wrong.. I'm losing my mind tried to think in all this stuff! lol
But look in the MATD group and see if is set to the same group of the texture. I think this causes this problem.. maybe i'm wrong.. i'm crazy right now! lol
#45 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 1:51 AM
BitzyBus,

If this is the same package that had not been working before, or has the same hash that you were working with when the object was flashing blue, then this thumbnail was generated from the old bad file. It stores them permanently. The thumbnail for items that are flashing blue shows up as a pale blue.

Maybe it's that?
RG
Instructor
Original Poster
#46 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 2:28 AM Last edited by pinhead : 11th Dec 2004 at 9:59 PM.
I tried to edit my first post, but it's not possible to have a long text on the post. Here's the second part.

PART 2 - How to use TXTR Extractor

After your created package is done, select the texture image and click with the right mouse button on it and choose "Export" (IN SimPE!!!)
Other thing, Isn't in PlugIn View!! The right click is on Packed Files part.

Open TXTR Extractor and go to the .simpe file that you extracted.
You will see the texture in the Viewer and the name will show in the box upper left.

Copy the name of the texture (incluing the extension like: #0x76f3cd25!pinhead-alienware4_txtr )

Select File/New in the program menu.

A box will open. In the first space you have to select the edited .BMP file.

*** Everytime i create a new texture, i use LIFO #0 (512 pixels on the bigger size) of that object color to edit. And i suggest you use this method also. When i'm looking for the LIFO, i don't extract only the image. I extract the LIFO, with .simpe extension, and i open this file in TXTR Extractor. Then i export using TXTR Extractor. It will create a .BMP file with alpha channel included and it will save this .BMP in tXtr extractor's folder under "export" subfolder.

The second space you have to select the .simpe file (the Texture Image file that you exported)
In the TXTR Format box, you have to select the apropriate mode of the base texture.
the next box you can choose the number of Mipmaps to be create.
In texture name you have to paste the name of your texture with the extension _txtr on there.

Click import and it will be save automaticaly.

Go to SimPE and open your package.
Select the Texture Image and right click on it. Select "Replace" and choose the same .simpe Texture Image that you exported and edited with TXTR Extractor.
Click File/Save (don't need to click in "Save" on the plugin View tab).

I hope this helps the people with problems in show up the textures correctly

screenshot:
Screenshots
Test Subject
#47 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 6:39 AM Last edited by Dial9forPancakes : 9th Dec 2004 at 7:25 AM.
Could this knowledge be used to solve why so many are missing the default color options for the Alienware computer? I'm stuck with green, no more blue or black. :confused:

Hmm... Would it be possible to duplicate the textures and override the originals to have them show up?

EDIT: Nevermind. I was able to get them back by re-installing several times over it with the in-game custom content browser. :D
Instructor
Original Poster
#48 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 10:41 AM
Some more info:

i was trying to use the SimPE plugin to import the textures. Well, its works if you choose RAW24bit in the compression, but the size in Kb of the package expand in about 30x.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 10:45 AM
About thumbnails: they are generated once for each object, when you then change texture thumbnail will not change... If you want to have proper thumbnails you can delete package they are stored in, but then game recreates them, when you select an object in design mode, it is slow.. package is My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Thumbnails\DesignModeThumbnails.package.

About tool i was talking about, when finished it will provide functionality of adding floors, wallpapers, color options and probably roofs(colors), terrain paints (not sure), but it needs a lot work, so dont expect it sooner than in 2005
Lab Assistant
#50 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 3:15 PM
Pinhead-- thanks for the tute on TXTR extractor. Things were not working out using SimPE for changing the image files, but for the life of me couldn't figure out how to get the extractor to work.

But not out of the woods yet..I've followed your directions but keep getting the message that this "bmp image is not valid"? any guesses?
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 21