Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #2 - posted on 10th Aug 2017 at 2:58 PM
Locked thread | Replies: 506 (Who?), Viewed: 112311 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorial: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=102356[/url]
Page 3 of 21
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 2:34 PM
Thank you all who tries to help! Ant thank you pinhead for your patience!!
I don't really got the hang of the TXTR Extractor tutorial... hmmm, the things I have managed to do I have done trough SimPE but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't... I just don't understand because I feel I doing the same thing... Weird...

And I have a major problem with SimPE(?) changing the sizes of the images for those objects that has images in the size 6x3. They are in the correct size but if I go away from the plug in view and then back they have changed to 8x4... Any ideas why?

And Phervers, that tool sounds fantastic, my sims will soon kill for some new wallpapers... *lol*
Lab Assistant
#52 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 3:13 PM Last edited by BitzyBus : 9th Dec 2004 at 3:27 PM.
YES!! I dit it!!!
I did the images smaller then they should be and then the program made them in the right size! Oh, I'm so happy!!! *lol*
Now my sim kids have a new bed!! :p
Screenshots
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#53 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 5:05 PM
Congrats, BitzyBus. And a very pretty bed it is, too.

RG
Test Subject
#54 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 6:58 PM
This is great news. I tryed this, but what I got what wasn't wat I was expecting. Does anyone know why my chair turned into this in game? When I view the txtrs in SimPE, it looks perfect, I downloaded pinheads file for comparison to see if I did somethign wrong, but as far as I can tell, there's nothing different about them internal wise, and pinheads file works in my game. I don't know why mine doesn't work, I used txtr extractor to make the images and they show up fine in SimPE, so does anyone know why this is happening? :confused: I'll try again and see what happens I guess, but I'm disappointed since it didn't work. :\ Hopefully I can get it right the second time though.
Screenshots
Instructor
#56 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 7:14 PM
Some people have reported that their recolored alienware computers that used to work before the patch end up with that weird X texture after the patch. I think Maxis screwed around with something in the object textures for the patched version of the game.
#57 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 7:21 PM Last edited by RGiles : 9th Dec 2004 at 7:44 PM.
I have still had no luck adding new texture options to an object that does not already have more than one option. I believe this has something to do with _cres.

In the MMAT for objects that have them, there is a reference to modelName. This is always the name of the object (from OBJD) with _cres appended to it. I am going go out on a limb and assume cres means catalog resource. Those objects that don't already have an MMAT don't seem to recognize that I'm adding a CRES for them, either for the original texture or the new one.

The problem is either that or that I don't know how to properly generate an Instance number for the new MMAT for the default texture.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I have not looked into catalog files much and don't really know what's in them.

ETA: The CRES flies are in Objects05.package, but I can't get a good look at them because the plugin is busted on the current version of SimPE. I get the following error message: Unknown Embedded RCOL Block cShapeRefNode

Thanks
RG
Test Subject
#58 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 7:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BitzyBus
YES!! I dit it!!!
I did the images smaller then they should be and then the program made them in the right size! Oh, I'm so happy!!! *lol*

I love the bed BitzyBus, thats very pretty I hope I have as much luck!
Field Researcher
#59 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 7:53 PM Last edited by lobstergirl : 9th Dec 2004 at 7:56 PM.
Quote:
YES!! I dit it!!!

Nice! Very well done.

Ok I am about to attempt to make a new texture witht eh texture editer. First I need a copy of the package I am attempting to use right?
Lab Assistant
#60 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 8:18 PM Last edited by BitzyBus : 9th Dec 2004 at 8:42 PM.
Thanks for your comments about the bed!
I have made one in blue too and working on a couple of other ones right now, this is so much fun but it takes A LOT of time and sometimes it gets wrong...

I sort of wonder, when you make a new colour you get the hashnumber and you can't use the same number again. Will this be a problem when it comes to sharing stuff? I guess other people could get the same hashnumber on their objects and that will in that case conflict with the ones allready in the game..??
Hope you understand what I'm trying to say/ask here... *lol*

Edit:
I'm working on a bed right now and just noticed that the bed got the same hashnumber as a stereo I made yesterday :confused: How is this possible and will they conflict even if they don't are in the same category??

Edit again:
Made one more bed and that too gets the same hashnumber as the bed and stereo above... What's going on???
Test Subject
#61 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 8:47 PM
I'm still really confused here about the hash number and now the cres thing? I'm not sure if I'm not doing something wrong or if it's the CRES thing that's messing my texture up. Can someone take a look and see what's wrong with mine? (If anything? Maybe it's just the cres thing?) I'd greatly appreciate it. (I have the patch too BTW if that has anything to do with it not showing. ) Thanks in advance. :D
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar djsbluestripechair.rar (3.9 KB, 86 downloads) - View custom content
#62 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 8:53 PM
jfade, ignore the cres thing. It does not relate to making a new texture for an object that already has more than one texture option. I am just experimenting.

I will take a look at your file.

RG
Lab Assistant
#63 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 9:06 PM Last edited by BitzyBus : 9th Dec 2004 at 9:09 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfade
I'm still really confused here about the hash number and now the cres thing? I'm not sure if I'm not doing something wrong or if it's the CRES thing that's messing my texture up. Can someone take a look and see what's wrong with mine? (If anything? Maybe it's just the cres thing?) I'd greatly appreciate it. (I have the patch too BTW if that has anything to do with it not showing. ) Thanks in advance. :D

There are some image files missing in your package, you have to replace the two lifo files with two imagefiles instead. You will need to add two more images, one that is 128x256 and one 256x512.
And also, the three first images should be 3x6. I had that problem myself but I had it solved by making the image 2x4 when importing it and then SimPE changed it to 3x6.
#64 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 9:15 PM
Yes, it appears to me that the trouble is that you've made your texture based on the TXTR for this object, but really you should extract the LIFO file for it, which is a larger image, and then TXTR Extractor will make the right image sizes.

Look for yourobjectname0_lifo... there will be one that says 1_lifo, and another that says 0_lifo. The 0 one is the largest image. Since your object is a chair, you'll find it in objects07.package

Luck!

RG
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 9:34 PM
I must admit I'm a bit curios about what you people have made so far... Would be fun to see some of your recoloured objects.
And I wonder, I have been asked to share some of my recolours, can I put them in the download section or should they be in the beta tester section..? Don't really know where to put it :confused:
So far I have made four different singlebeds (and some other objects) and I starting to get the hang of it, it's easier to look for the problems if it doesn't work... *lol*
I have also noticed that SimPE is very tricky when it comes to saving, it happens a lot that you click commit and save but when you return to the file it have changed back to the original...
Screenshots
Instructor
Original Poster
#66 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 10:32 PM Last edited by pinhead : 9th Dec 2004 at 10:45 PM.
Quote:
I sort of wonder, when you make a new colour you get the hashnumber and you can't use the same number again. Will this be a problem when it comes to sharing stuff? I guess other people could get the same hashnumber on their objects and that will in that case conflict with the ones allready in the game..??
Hope you understand what I'm trying to say/ask here... *lol*

Edit:
I'm working on a bed right now and just noticed that the bed got the same hashnumber as a stereo I made yesterday :confused: How is this possible and will they conflict even if they don't are in the same category??

Edit again:
Made one more bed and that too gets the same hashnumber as the bed and stereo above... What's going on???

You have to change the filename of the package before you change the name of the texture and create the Hash number. If you already made a bed and use the existing package you had create for a base, open the base and go to "File/Save As..." and change the name of the package. Open again the new packaged renamed and change the name of the texture. The hash will be modified
Lab Assistant
#67 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead
You have to change the filename of the package before you change the name of the texture and create the Hash number. If you already made a bed and use the existing package your create for a base, open the base and go to "File/Save As..." and change the name of the package. Open again the new packaged renamed and change the name of the texture. The hash will be modified

Thanks, I just noticed that... Don't really know how the stereo was connected but there is a lot of stuff I don't know... *lol* I just do it anyway. Can't thank you enough for this tutorial! :D
Instructor
Original Poster
#68 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 10:46 PM Last edited by pinhead : 9th Dec 2004 at 10:49 PM.
Quote:
Thanks, I just noticed that... Don't really know how the stereo was connected but there is a lot of stuff I don't know... *lol* I just do it anyway. Can't thank you enough for this tutorial! :D

Yes. Iīm learning a little more about this hashes stuff.
I notice in the Plugin menu of SimPE has a Hash Generator, but so far i donīt understand how to use this properly.

I saw some informations in the WIKI but itīs too "complex" for my illustratorīs brain... LOL

http://www.modthesims2.com/wiki/TGI
Instructor
Original Poster
#69 Old 9th Dec 2004 at 11:00 PM Last edited by pinhead : 9th Dec 2004 at 11:41 PM.
i was reading my tutorial and i think i need change some things on there. Now i know that the hash is created reading the name of the package and not the texture. And have a lot of information there that i think that makes this process too confusing...

and my bad english of course... but donīt think that will be fixed. lol!
Instructor
Original Poster
#70 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 12:16 AM Last edited by pinhead : 10th Dec 2004 at 12:20 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfn
Pinhead-- thanks for the tute on TXTR extractor. Things were not working out using SimPE for changing the image files, but for the life of me couldn't figure out how to get the extractor to work.

But not out of the woods yet..I've followed your directions but keep getting the message that this "bmp image is not valid"? any guesses?

.Sorry for the delay of my aswer. I didnīt saw your message before.

Well, something is wrong with your file.
Just a few questions to see if all is ok with your program:
Do you installed Nvidia DDS Utilities?
When you save your .bmp has alpha channel on it?
Do you select the bmp in the right location (from the TXTR New fileīs box)

well, i never had problem like this, so i donīt know whatīs wrong..
Lab Assistant
#71 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 12:54 AM
A couple of questions again...

I know that you should set "defaultMaterial" to false but I would like to know why...

And, does anybody know if it's possible to make beddings for only single beds or only double?? Would be great if you could make like children bedding and that would only be avalible for single beds...
#72 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 1:06 AM
BitzyBus,

defaultMaterial means that the texture is the one that will be applied to the object if you do not select any color options and instead just place the object. Since each object already has a default color, if we created another default color we'd be causing a conflict.

And on the bedding, since that's the object I started with, I can say nope. Bedding applies to both single and double beds, and in fact to texture the single bed, you are using 1/2 of the texture for the double bed which gets added on to the smaller single bed image. I would love to know what lunatic came up with THAT mapping But try it... fill in the single bed part of the image with one texture and the double bed part of the image with a different one, and you'll see you have a single bed that is 2-tone.

Cheers,
RG
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 1:10 AM
Okey, thanks, it thought it was that way...

*lol* Yes I know about the bedding... *lol* I have made some and it's really hard to make patterns as you like because of the stupid way the image is created...
#74 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 1:21 AM Last edited by RGiles : 10th Dec 2004 at 1:25 AM.
About the bedding, the weird texture that is yellow and orange and the sheets are purple... That's labeled "Template" and it might show you where the borders are so that you can line up your patterns right. I haven't looked at it too closely yet.

ETA: Yes, that template texture DOES show the cut-line, so it should help a great deal in making textures on the single bed line up right.
Instructor
Original Poster
#75 Old 10th Dec 2004 at 1:24 AM
I will try the bed today later to see what you're talking about.
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 21