Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Jan 2009 at 3:50 PM
Default Changing language?
Ok, not sure if this is in the right place but if it isnt thats because I couldnt actually find the right place :D

In the catalogue description of my new object I want to add the same description but in a couple of other languages apart from English

How the hell do I do that?

Please note: This account is stolen from my son! I R RubberMan! NOT RubberBoy! Thank you :)

Women will never be as successful as men because they have no wives to advise them.
-- Dick Van Dyke
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#2 Old 21st Jan 2009 at 9:39 AM
In the "Pie Menu Strings" file, there's a drop down for language (default to English). Select a different language, then enter in the equivalent description in the same places you did for the English version.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 21st Jan 2009 at 11:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
In the "Pie Menu Strings" file, there's a drop down for language (default to English). Select a different language, then enter in the equivalent description in the same places you did for the English version.

Thanks but that just replaces the English rather than adding other languages...

Please note: This account is stolen from my son! I R RubberMan! NOT RubberBoy! Thank you :)

Women will never be as successful as men because they have no wives to advise them.
-- Dick Van Dyke
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#4 Old 21st Jan 2009 at 11:16 AM
Er... It shouldn't do. Are you sure you're changing the drop down menu to a different language before you change the text?
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 21st Jan 2009 at 12:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Er... It shouldn't do. Are you sure you're changing the drop down menu to a different language before you change the text?

Yeah mate. Ok lets say I wanted to make the description available in English and Portuguese for instance

So I have it on English(UK) and I put in the description name and stuff then I use the drop down and change it to Portuguese(PT) and type in the same thing in Portuguese

It appears to replace the English text in game even though I installed the English language version >.<

-- Dick Van Dyke
The ModFather
retired moderator
#6 Old 21st Jan 2009 at 12:27 PM
Remember to commit after writing each language; and *never* click the button "make default". If you did everything correctly in SimPE, you should be able to see the various descriptions still in SimPE, selecting the various languages from the selector.

Also, mind that "English UK" is a completely different language than the default "English US".

If you really can't work it out, post the faulty package in the Repair Service.

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Jan 2009 at 12:40 PM
Thank Numenor, I think its the proper English that is the problem - evidently Maxis have used "pretend" English as default

Once I use English(US) (spits on ground because that isnt English >.<) it works fine

-- Dick Van Dyke
The ModFather
retired moderator
#8 Old 22nd Jan 2009 at 2:23 AM
I may agree that the Queen's English is somewhat more elegant, but spitting on the ground isn't
As a non-English speaker, I find all the various English versions (UK, US and even Australian) fascinating, for different reasons. But really that the more delightful posts I've read here at MTS2 were written by a user that turned to be a professor at Oxford
And btw, I pronounce "either" as /ˈaɪðɚ/ ("eye-ther")

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.