Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #2 - posted on 10th Aug 2017 at 2:58 PM
Locked thread | Replies: 973 (Who?), Viewed: 156135 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorial: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=102356[/url]
Page 2 of 39
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#26 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoki
I'll have to try my hand at a Sims 2 object now that it's sort of figured out. I'll see what I can do when I get home tonight *crosses fingers*

Was it you who made the replacement Argonian head textures? If it was, I know you're a brilliant texture artist, and I can't wait to see what you come up with for this game.

Good luck with it. It's really very easy after you've gotten through it the first time.

RG
Field Researcher
#27 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:50 PM
It worked!!! It worked!!!! Holy Cow! It worked! Do you know how good this makes a person like me feel? Great! Absolutely Great! *does happy dance* Yeeesssssss!!! I made a green tinted fridge! Yippy!
Download - please read all instructions before downloading any files!
File Type: rar Temporary-EditedFridge.rar (158.1 KB, 78 downloads) - View custom content
Test Subject
#28 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:54 PM
Actually in Flight Simulator files, DXT1 and 3 both have mips and alpha channels. As soon as I get this recolor thing down (if I ever do) I'll look into using my FS apps for textures as they all support DXT formats.

I don't have the import local LIFO files option either going to get SimpeP to see if that helps.

great tutorial Pinhead!!!
#29 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:54 PM
Yay Temporary. That's great. Now refurnish my whole kitchen.

Congrats
RG
Field Researcher
#30 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles
Yay Temporary. :D That's great. Now refurnish my whole kitchen. ;)

Congrats
RG

I'm going to make green chairs, tables, bar stools, sofas, beds,...*Muwhahwaha*
Just Kidding. ;)

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose." - Jim Elliot 1927-1956 Christian martyr in Ecuador
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
#31 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 7:57 PM
Quote:
Numenor,
someone has posted a kitchen counter for download in Betas.

Thanks!
*jumps immediately to the Beta forum*
Instructor
#32 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 8:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary
I'm going to make green chairs, tables, bar stools, sofas, beds,...*Muwhahwaha*
Just Kidding.

LOL!
Why not? go ahead!
If i had time to make things...
i didn't played anymore the game also. lol!
#33 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 8:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMCDesigns
Actually in Flight Simulator files, DXT1 and 3 both have mips and alpha channels.

Interesting. I didn't think DXT1 supported any alpha at all. From my experience so far with the sims 2, Objects use DXT3 whenever there is alpha, and it's only binary alpha maps... any shade of greay will be fully transparent. I have not tried DXT5 with it so far.

Maybe it's just how certain game engines handle the formats.

RG
Instructor
#34 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 8:04 PM
DXT1 = Compressed Format (16Pixel Blocks) RGB (16-Bit) no Alpha
DXT3/5 = Compressed Format (16Pixel Blocks) RGB (16-Bit) + Alpha
Instructor
#35 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 8:06 PM
Quote:
Was it you who made the replacement Argonian head textures? If it was, I know you're a brilliant texture artist, and I can't wait to see what you come up with for this game.

Oh no, Silaria did most of those and Arathrax did the rest, but they were gorgeous. I wish I had their talent. I did a few of the human ones, off hand I recall the freckled Breton lady I did, but I tend to agonize over doing the faces and spend way way too much time on one, I'm not one of those people who can mass produce awesome quality stuff, I wish heh. Most of the time I was the originzational drone lol and also did animate some heads.

Oh and I did recall doing alphas with DXT3 now too that I think about but I wasn't sure if I was just remembering wrong lol. I guess I wasn't.
#36 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 8:09 PM
Well I remember your name, Motoki, because it was always attached to great work. It's been a very long time since I have visited those sites.
#37 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 8:25 PM
I am opening a new thread about adding multiple texture options for objects that originally only have one in the General Modding forum so as not to confuse people on this thread. The new thread is NOT a tutorial, but a technical discussion of what will need to be done in order to make retexturing those objects work the same way as described in Pinhead's great tutorial. I hope Pinhead, Quaxi, Numenor, and anyone else who's been following that discussion will join me as I try to sift through the variables. Thee may be a LOT of variables.

RG
Firestarter
#38 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 8:41 PM
Great tutorial! Thanks for all your hardwork. :D
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 9:08 PM
Thanks for this tutorial. Once I learn to ride a bike with training wheels, I'll try it
Test Subject
#40 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 9:30 PM
Default Name Map
I dont have the option Name Map in my SimPe... Is it something wrong with it???
Never used it before...
#41 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 9:39 PM
Hi, Plingplongflikka.

It's not an option in the program itself. You won't see it until you open the file, because it is one of the sub-items stored within the file.

RG
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 9:43 PM
Ok, I followed your tutorial, but I'm currently having a problem whereby on the game screen the texture looks fine, but the s in the HUD view show a load of code where the texture should be. Pic attached.
Screenshots
#43 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 9:54 PM
Now *that* is an error I've never seen before. Is this maybe an object that you tested before, had an error, corrected it, and now it's still showing the same thumbnail image? The thumbnails do get written to a cache file, so unless you delete that cache file and force the game to regenerate all thumbnails, you'll forever have the thumbnail images from your first attempt with the texture.

RG
Test Subject
#44 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 9:54 PM
Ok, hopefully I can get someone to look at it and tell me what is off, been working on this all day. I can get it in the game, but somehow the textures are not associated as I get the blinking blue. I have checked to make sure all the naming is correct and that the hash is correct, been over the tutorial several times and can't find anywhere there might be a conflict. It's probably something simple, but hell if I can find it.

Pinhead , the new tutorial is great, the pics help so much, thanks!
Also thanks to Quaxi for SimPE http://calvirair.com/mcpics/SIMSSTUFF/Testbed.zip

Michael
Test Subject
#45 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 9:57 PM
Bah! I made a mistake somewhere and my cloudy blue fridge came out plain blue >_<
Ah well, I guess I'll have to sacrifice another hour tomorrow making an object *doh!*
Thanks for the tutorial. ^__^
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 9:58 PM
Quote:
Now *that* is an error I've never seen before. Is this maybe an object that you tested before, had an error, corrected it, and now it's still showing the same image? The s do get written to a cache file, so unless you delete that cache file and force the game to regenerate all s, you'll forever have the images from your first attempt with the texture.

RG

I did indeed have that error on the object itself previously, but a few corrections fixed that. Thanks for the quick reply, I know what to do now.
#47 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 10:38 PM
Great tutorial, Pinhead. I am very happy with it!
Thanks for putting in all the effort it!

Small problem.... my fridge turned out to be an "open - doorless" fridge.
No doors, and I can see all the food in it. Looks great, but not what I ment it to be
Where did I go wrong??
#48 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 10:49 PM
Default Perhaps I am missing the obvious
I followed the tutorial exactly, but I must be missing something as my new red checked fridge has ended up with the red X on it and the name of my new fridge written all over it.
It's pretty and all, but not quite what I had hoped to acheive *smiles*.
Could someone point me in the right direction please?

many thanks.
Lab Assistant
#49 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 11:01 PM
Thank you sooo very much for the new tutorial. But, as someone else has said here, the good thing I have done the old one sooo many times (4 days worth) that I have learned a lot. Thank you again.
Forum Resident
#50 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 11:24 PM
Wow thank you Pinhead Very Nice. Excellent. Merry Christmas to you! 10 Stars To you too! Thank You Thank You! How can I put all this in a file with photos like Adobe Reader? Or Can you put them all in a download? Sorry To ask this It would be nice if I can have it on my desk top to go back and forth eaisier then satying on line. Thank you for your long hard work! If I had money I would donate to this sight. I am on SSI and no credit cards or checking accounts only savings. Do they use paypal? I will some day donate in the future due to broke most of the time only three new payments on my computer then upgarding to higher memmory cards etc.

Thank you so much!!!!
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 39