Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

MTS Movie Night #2 - posted on 10th Aug 2017 at 2:58 PM
Locked thread | Replies: 973 (Who?), Viewed: 156137 times. | Locked by: Numenor Reason: New tutorial: [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=102356[/url]
Page 3 of 39
Instructor
#51 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 11:42 PM
Okay, I am trying this out now. I decided to make life hard on myself and do something other than a refrigerator so Pinhead's text file doesn't help me. Right now I am scrolling through ALL the MMAT entries in the Materials.package but I imagine there's got to be a better way?
Instructor
#52 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 11:48 PM
Thank you so much for the updated tutorial, Pinhead! I need pictures for these things .
Administrator of Loverat's Tea and Underpants
#53 Old 13th Dec 2004 at 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoki
Okay, I am trying this out now. I decided to make life hard on myself and do something other than a refrigerator so Pinhead's text file doesn't help me. Right now I am scrolling through ALL the MMAT entries in the Materials.package but I imagine there's got to be a better way?

Motoki,

There was a MMAT.txt file released. If Pinhead forgot to attach it to this version of the tutorial, there's a link at the bottom of the first post in his original tutorial.

RG
Test Subject
#54 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoki

The MMAT.txt file is for all objects, not just for the refridgerator. Try copying the Maxis object name, such as "orientalbed-green" and then opening the txt file, pressing CTRL-F and pasting the name. The instance number is what you need to put in the Materials.package Instance Filter.

I know it sounds confusing, if I can clarify further, just let me know!
Instructor
#55 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:06 AM Last edited by Motoki : 14th Dec 2004 at 12:12 AM.
No he posted it, it's my own dumb fault. I thought it was just for fridge #s but it's I guess for everything, though what I want isn't on there. It's a sphere on a stand that's actually a debug test object, Carrigon released it a little while back in a collection of various debug item.

I think the object is: reflective_sphere_stand in objects02.package and the texture is testpattern_txtr_64x64 in objects6.package and testpattern0_lifo_128x128 in objects9.package.

I wanted to retexture it as a globe. Bleh, leave it to me to pick the hardest and most obscure object to find.

*Edit: Okay I think I got that texture wrong because the one I extracted just has #s and I just looked up the screenshot in Carrigon's thread and the texture on the one globe looks different and it looks like the other one doesn't have a texture.

http://forums.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=13187
Forum Resident
#56 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:11 AM Last edited by anglesims2 : 14th Dec 2004 at 12:19 AM.
I am not seeing the stuff you are talking about in the Materials.package? Or what am I doing wrong? Please help?

Ifound it LOL!!!!
Test Subject
#57 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:13 AM
The stuff we are talking about is a separate file called MMAT.txt that is in the first post. It includes all of the objects' MMAT instance numbers and stuff.
#58 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:14 AM
Motoki,

For right now, the only objects you can recolor are standard catalog items that already have more than one texture. Other files are lacking some of the correct data for multiple texture options to appear in the game. We're working on this, though, and it should be possible soon.

For now, pick any object that already has multiple textures.

RG
Instructor
#59 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:16 AM
Oh okay well that makes sense now. Better than banging my head against a wall. LOL Thanks for letting me know.
The ModFather
staff: retired moderator
#60 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:20 AM Last edited by numenor : 14th Dec 2004 at 12:24 AM.
I have converted that text file (that, btw, was originally by Quaxi, if I remember well) into an Excel table, so that searching and sorting is much simpler!
Instructor
#61 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:23 AM
Well, i think that i need revised all the tutorial.
Why some people have problems (the same problems) with the blink dark-blue thing, the texture name all over the object and the red cross on it??
i can't figure out...
Instructor
#62 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by numenor
What are you trying to mod? As long as it has (at least) a MMAT, it should be listed in the MMAT list...
I have converted that text file (that, btw, was originally by Quaxi, if I remember well) into an Excel table, so that searching and sorting is much simpler!

Yes, i shared the Quaxi's MMAT list.
it's the only one i have it.
Test Subject
#63 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:25 AM
Wanna put that up for download numenor? Or is it already up but I am just blind?
The ModFather
#64 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhead
Why some people have problems (the same problems) with the blink dark-blue thing, the texture name all over the object and the red cross on it??
i can't figure out...

In my experience, the flashing blue thing means that there's a wrong reference to the txtr file(s), while the red cross (on a white texture with some words written on it) should mean that the graphic engine CAN find the file but can't handle it (improper format or corrupted); I noticed that the words on the white texture often report the name of the faulty file
The ModFather
#65 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shurst2004
Wanna put that up for download numenor? Or is it already up but I am just blind?

I never posted it before, you are not blind...
But I can't post it here because it's a "tutorial" forum and I haven't enough posting rights here (can't add attachments) :mad: GRRRR
If more people are interested, I could create a new thread in General Modding, maybe...
#66 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:34 AM
Quote:
i can't figure out...

Some people were forgetting to add _txtr at the end of their filename for the texture image.

There may be some errors sometimes with removing the #hashnumber! from in front of the 2 lins to the TXTR in MATD. That's still fairly untested, so maybe we should leave the hash there. It may not always work without it, especially is 2 people choose "fridgetest1" as their texture name and it conflicts.

And sometimes, rarely, but still... sometimes SimPE is corrupting the textures, but it's not that often at all.

RG
Instructor
#67 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles
Some people were forgetting to add _txtr at the end of their filename for the texture image.

There may be some errors sometimes with removing the #hashnumber! from in front of the 2 lins to the TXTR in MATD. That's still fairly untested, so maybe we should leave the hash there. It may not always work without it, especially is 2 people choose "fridgetest1" as their texture name and it conflicts.

And sometimes, rarely, but still... sometimes SimPE is corrupting the textures, but it's not that often at all.

RG

yeah.. but sometimes with the hash value in front can't work in some objects. I tried that to minimize the problems.. i don't know what to do for now.
Instructor
#68 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:40 AM
Quote:
In my experience, the flashing blue thing means that there's a wrong reference to the txtr file(s), while the red cross (on a white texture with some words written on it) should mean that the graphic engine CAN find the file but can't handle it (improper format or corrupted); I noticed that the words on the white texture often report the name of the faulty file

But why they are still making mistakes? i don't get it.
All of the changes are complete covered and everything is on the pictures with examples where to change and what to do...
I can't understand.
Test Subject
#69 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:41 AM
Default question
Thanks for the turotial.
It seemed clear enough I mustered my courage and downloaded the newest version of SimPE and decided to give it a try.

With my usual luck, on the first pictorial step I hit a snag. I found and opened up the objects02.package But Instead of the file types list on the left, with 'Name Map' etc. Mine says Directory of Compressed Files, File List, and Materials Description? instead.

And of course, I am one of those people who are good at following directions but lost when things are different. What did I miss doing, please?
Instructor
#70 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:45 AM
strange. for me is setted to Name Maps and not File List.
#71 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:49 AM
Quote:
But why they are still making mistakes? i don't get it.
All of the changes are complete covered and everything is on the pictures with examples where to change and what to do...
I can't understand.

Well, as I said, a few times the problem has been a corrupted texture, and that's just something we'll have to live with. It's pretty rare that SimPE causes this now, but it still can happen.

I think you've been very clear, and sometimes when people are reading, they just miss something, and there's nothing you can do to prevent that. It's not possible to change the tutorial so that everyone will get it right the first try. Relax, you've done a wonderful job, and now there are a lot more people who have been successful who are also helping answer the questions. shurst20004 is helping a lot and others as well. So have a cigarette, relax, don't worry. You did excellent work.

RG
Instructor
#72 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 12:58 AM
Quote:
I never posted it before, you are not blind...
But I can't post it here because it's a "tutorial" forum and I haven't enough posting rights here (can't add attachments) :mad: GRRRR
If more people are interested, I could create a new thread in General Modding, maybe...

That would be great.
Lab Assistant
#73 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 1:07 AM
OMG Thank you, Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!!!!
FU paysites I'm making my own fridge!!!! lol :p
Instructor
#74 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 1:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles
So have a cigarette, relax, don't worry. You did excellent work.

RG

lol!
Yep! i need one right now!
I'm trying now recolor a bed with SimPE only to make sure that the old problem with wrong sizes don't still be there. You already checked this?
#75 Old 14th Dec 2004 at 1:13 AM
Pinhead,
Yes, I've been having very good luck with using just SimPE to import and recompress the TXTR. The most recent 4 bests I added to the BETA section this morning were all done that way. Much faster than switching programs, and no errors at all.

RG
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 39