Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Mar 2009 at 9:19 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 14th Mar 2009 at 6:45 AM.
Default Add Filename Tooltips to Recolors, Automatically! Windows or Mac! - TESTERS WANTED
While MTS2 downloads are down, you can get the Mar 11th beta version from links in this post!

------------------------------------------------------

Filename Tooltips - Add Them Automatically!

This program adds BodyShop tooltips to those mystery recolor packages.
(Clothing tooltips may not show up in CAS if you have later EPs.)

Installation

This program is Windows or Mac, get the appropriate version.
Download the zip file, unzip it. On Windows, don't delete dll's or manifest.

Usage

Double click filenameTooltip.exe (Windows) or filenameTooltip (Mac).
Press the Choose Files button, then select your files. Repeat if you want to add more files.
Choose whether you want to change existing tool tips or only add tooltips if they’re missing.
Choose whether tooltips should be filenames, user specified text, or both. - new in Mar 11 version
Press the Add Filename Tooltips button.
This program will CAS packages (clothing, hair, skins, makeup, eyes, etc.),
while ignoring other packages (objects, sims, walls, floors, houses, lots, neighborhoods).
Press Clear List if you want to process some more files and start again.
edit: Mar 10 - New version should affect only BodyShop files (clothing, skin, eyes, makeup, beards).
Should ignore other files (meshes, walls, floors, fences, terrain, neighborhoods, lots, sims, etc.)
Please check this. Program reports files are "ignored" or "CHANGED".

TESTERS WANTED
version 20090311 beta

Please back up your files before testing this program on them.
If you have a bug to report, please save the debug text that the program prints to a text file and upload it with your bug report. Please tell me what error messages you got, if any. If you want me to look at a certain input file, please give me a link to the file or upload it.

==> DOWNLOAD HERE, not from box below <==
* filenameTooltip for Windows version 20090311 beta
* filenameTooltip for Mac version 20090311 beta

Planned Features for Future Versions

- Select all files in a directory just by clicking the directory.
- Select all files in subdirectories (recursive).

=============================================

Related Software

You may also like Delphy's Download Organizer.
It tells you what types of files are in your Downloads.
It can put your files in subfolders, if you haven't already done so yourself.
Screenshots

Please spay or neuter your pets. --- Cat Music Video! --- my meshes
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 9th Mar 2009 at 7:15 PM
You rock!! I had approximately 800 files fixed with the filename in less than 15 minutes. That included the time I needed to get to where the files were on a different drive than where I put this program. I opened and closed it three times, one time it wouldn't let me select more than one file at a time, but reopening did the trick on that. This program ranks right up there with chocolate cake.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 5:57 AM
yetyak, thank you for trying this out, but did you back up your files beforehand? This program is still in testing. I've been testing it and found out you should not use it on certain kinds of packages, for example mesh files, certain objects, definitely not lamps, etc. It is meant for clothing recolors, hair, and makeup, not all packages.

Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 8:34 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 12th Mar 2009 at 8:26 PM.
Mar 10 - New version
edit: mar 10 is no longer the newest version, for the latest version, see post #1

New version should affect only BodyShop files (clothing, skin, eyes, makeup, beards).
Should ignore other files (walls, floors, fences, terrain, neighborhoods, lots, sims, etc.)
Please check this. Program reports files are "ignored" or "CHANGED".

edit: It should also ignore meshes.

Test Subject
#5 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 10:14 PM
I tried it on just hair and clothes, they are the only things I really want the file name to show on. I omitted the meshes, figuring it wasn't intended for those.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 10:41 PM
This looks really rather good - will come back after March 12th....

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Mar 2009 at 10:58 PM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 12th Mar 2009 at 8:27 PM.
yetyak - Good to hear! Thank goodness for smart and prudent testers.

leesester - Great, it would be good to have more testers. You don't have to wait for downloads to come back. You can get the current version from post #1 Mar 10th version from the next post.

Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 5:21 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 12th Mar 2009 at 7:03 PM.
old new version - 20090310 beta

New in this version
- runs on Windows AND Mac too
- should ignore non-CAS files (please double check this)
- checkbox: change existing tooltips or not
- tooltips can be either filenames or user specified text

edit: downloads removed because this is no longer the current version, see post #1

Test Subject
#9 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 7:45 AM
Oooh, very nice. I'll be giving this a go.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 9:39 AM
Gonna test it out, I like the prospects
Instructor
#11 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 10:56 AM
I downloaded the windows 20090310 beta version from the main post.
I got no error messages, but it refused to change most tooltips for me (I tried rings, hair and clothes). Sorry I cannot be more specific, as I did manage to change a hair and a clothing tooltip (out of about 15 tries), and could not detect any pattern. It got "Ignored" reports for those it did not change.
A feature request: would it be possible to view the existing tooltips, and to have an option like "Add file name/new text to end of existing tooltip"?
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#12 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 5:33 PM
solowren, BlueSoup Thanks for popping in, if you do find time to test this, that would be great.

Gwenke33

You had the "Change Existing Tooltips" checkbox checked, right? If you did, and it was not changing files that you know had tooltips, can you please give me a link to those files? Or post a few of them here in a zip or rar file? I will try to replicate your results and find out what the problem is, and fix it.

The feature you asked for could be added, no problem. I'll just have a third radio button that says "filename + user text" or some such.

Field Researcher
#13 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 6:44 PM
*Noob* This will change if the package already has description?
I mean, my dowloads folders are a mess, so, I can't separate those files which has description.

It's alright to make mistakes you're only human. Inside everybody's hiding something. Take time to catch your breath and choose your moment. Don't slide.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#14 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 7:06 PM
eletrodj If you leave the "Change Existing Tooltips" box unchecked, then existing tooltips will NOT be changed. If you check the checkbox, existing tooltips will be changed. Up to you. You can sort your Downloads folder with Delphy's Downloads Organizer. Link in first post.

Instructor
#15 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 8:06 PM
I think I figured it out: the tool ignores files whose tooltip was changed with the WardrobeWrangler. Or it may simply ignore those which were saved with WW. I tested the first option on one of Liana's male outfits, but I did not test the second. Since most of my accessories and a lot of my clothes have been processed with WW, no wonder I got failures.
I will do some more testing later if needed, but not earlier than Sunday.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#16 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 8:25 PM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 12th Mar 2009 at 8:25 PM.
Gwenke33 Thanks for that report. I'll take a look at what WW does. I didn't know it let you change tooltips, will check that out. I thought that was a feature that jfade was going to add in the next version.

edit: WW lets you add a tooltip to one file at a time. The current version of WW does not automatically set the tooltip to the filename, although it does show you what the filename is, so you could type it in yourself.

If you are telling my tooltip program to change *existing* tooltips, and it's not doing it on files processed by WW, I have a theory why. Will investigate...

-- begin gory technical details --
I check the DBPF STR# resource where tooltips are stored to see if it's a tooltip or something else. Tooltip STR#s made by BodyShop have a blank description field, blank filename (of the STR#, not the package), and text only in the STR# value field. If WW is altering the STR# filename or STR# description, then my program would ignore that STR#.
-- end gory technical details --

If you are seeing *blank* tooltips, and they're NOT being changed to filenames or user text, that's a problem. If that's happening, have a theory about that too...

-- begin gory technical details --
Currently, I check for tooltips that are an empty string, just "". I do not check for tooltips that might be only whitespace, ie " ". Perhaps I need to look into that...
-- end gory technical details --

Instructor
#17 Old 11th Mar 2009 at 11:03 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention that all files I tried had some substantial tooltips (that's one of the main things I use WW for). I made sure that 'change tooltips' was always ticked.
I also made sure that one or more files in the window were always selected, but the programme seemed to ignore that: I either received "changed" for all files in the list, or "ignored", whether one, more, or none of the files were selected.
Test Subject
#18 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 3:09 AM
I had the same issue with the program ignoring certain files as other people did, but other than that it worked like a charm.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#19 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 5:05 AM
Figured out why my program isn't playing nice with Wardrobe Wrangler. WW changes the STR# description field from nothing to "File Edited with the Wardrobe Wrangler, version ..." I can have my program take that into account, no problem.

Test Subject
#20 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 6:34 AM
It won't let me attach that file you wanted.

One thing I noticed while playing tonight, some of the hairs that I had changed with the original version that were being worn by sims had been changed to a different hair. A quick trip to the mirror solved it, and I don't know if it is relevant or not, but figured I'd mention it just in case.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#21 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 6:51 AM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 12th Mar 2009 at 7:54 AM.
yetyak That's pretty darn relevant. I'll see if this occurs with clothing, makeup, etc. too. Should be mentioned in the manual. Did it happen just the one time, after the file was changed, or does it happen each time the lot is loaded? I assume just the one time?

What do you mean by "quick trip to the mirror"? Did you just have them "change appearance" without actually changing anything, and it got fixed by itself, or did you have to change the hair they were wearing yourself?

edit: I tried to reproduce this behavior. Made a sim with a custom shirt and custom hair. Exited game. Fired up filenameTooltip, changed the tooltips of the shirt and hair. Ran the game, sim still had her shirt and hair. No change except for the tooltip. Made the tooltip shorter. Made the tooltip longer. Hair and shirt never changed to a different hair and shirt. Perhaps this only occurs with some files or only the older version of the program, not sure yet.

Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#22 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 7:02 PM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 12th Mar 2009 at 8:28 PM.
New Version - 20090311 beta

* plays nice with Wardrobe Wrangler, will change files modified by WW
* tooltip can be filename, user text, or both (feature requested by Gwenke)

Testers!

If you think some files were ignored when they should not have been, please take a look at the file "filenameTooltip_log.txt". zip that file and post it here, or just copy and paste the text in your post.

DOWNLOAD
* filenameTooltip for Windows version 20090311 beta
* filenameTooltip for Mac version 20090311 beta

Test Subject
#23 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 8:06 PM
The two sims that I remember having noticed that they had different hair were walkbys. One of them, I had a lot member change their appearance (dizzy's hack), then went to that house next and that sim had the right hair. I will try the other sim today, and see if she has the right or wrong hair on her home lot. You know, hers might have been because I changed a bunch of grays to one gray, but didn't get them familied yet. That sounds more plausible, since you didn't have the wrong hair thing happen.
Not actually evil.
Original Poster
#24 Old 12th Mar 2009 at 8:23 PM Last edited by CatOfEvilGenius : 12th Mar 2009 at 9:13 PM.
yetyak The grays / family theory sounds more plausible to me. Thanks for checking that out and letting me know. I try to change just one thing at a time when testing. If you run into any more odd stuff that you think might be due to filenameTooltip, please report it.

Gwenke It would be easy to view existing tooltips, I just need to figure out where to put them so I don't make things look cluttered. They'll probably be in the next version.

Test Subject
#25 Old 13th Mar 2009 at 1:18 AM
I agree that it was probably the gray/family thing, that will teach me to get all excited about the right tooltips so I can be sure I fix the right hairs. I know I should have checked them out better before I started the second part of the project. The few lots I did check had no problems, I should have checked them all instead of figuring I was ok.

I promise I will do better with the next batch!!
Page 1 of 4