Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for November - posted on 1st Dec 2017 at 10:00 AM
Replies: 6 (Who?), Viewed: 2496 times.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Apr 2009 at 7:33 PM Last edited by robertce : 15th Apr 2009 at 12:35 AM.
Default Spell Pie menu strings
Hello, this is my first post here.
My problem is I'm having troubles finding all the pie menu strings for the spells. The only one I've found is, "54544173-00000000-7FF5C0E3-00000083 -Expello Simae". I found it in the C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Apartment Life\TSData\Res\Objects\objects.package file. I used SimPE and manually looked through all the strings located in that file.

So my questions are:
-Are all the spell Pie menu strings located in this file; C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Apartment Life\TSData\Res\Objects\objects.package?
-Is there anyway to find the pie strings faster without having to look at each pie string?

Thanks in advance


Ps. I've found some of them, yes they are in the C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Apartment Life\TSData\Res\Objects\objects.package file, I'm going through the pie menu strings now found 3 of them....
Advertisement
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#2 Old 15th Apr 2009 at 12:45 AM
Yes. The pie menu strings are in the spells, but not often on the spell object itself. Sometimes they're located on the destination, for spells that are cast on the ground, and othertimes in persondata, for spells cast on sims, and sometimes someplace totally esoteric. Furthermore, there is a finite number of available spells, as far as I know, and as a result it gets tricky to mod in new spells that do something useful. Such modifications are furthermore totally incompatible with each other, so the Highlander Rule applies.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Apr 2009 at 12:55 AM Last edited by robertce : 15th Apr 2009 at 1:14 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. M. Pescado
Yes. The pie menu strings are in the spells, but not often on the spell object itself. Sometimes they're located on the destination, for spells that are cast on the ground, and othertimes in persondata, for spells cast on sims, and sometimes someplace totally esoteric. Furthermore, there is a finite number of available spells, as far as I know, and as a result it gets tricky to mod in new spells that do something useful. Such modifications are furthermore totally incompatible with each other, so the Highlander Rule applies.


Thanks for the info, but I'm not trying to make new spells just change the names of the spell already in game. The reason, I just don't like the names. I've managed to rename all the spells in the spell book, just not on the pie menu.

Is there anyway to search through the object.package files for pie menu strings that contain the words cast spell.../(spell name)?
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#4 Old 15th Apr 2009 at 2:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertce
Is there anyway to search through the object.package files for pie menu strings that contain the words cast spell.../(spell name)?
Sure. Extract all the TTAs and 0x12Es, and grep.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Apr 2009 at 2:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. M. Pescado
Sure. Extract all the TTAs and 0x12Es, and grep.


But if I extract them wouldn't they all go into individual files, that's over 1000 files. Is there anyway to combine the extracted files together to make one easy searchable file?
Sorry to ask, but what is grep, will it combined the files together, or is it another type like TTAs?
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#6 Old 15th Apr 2009 at 6:13 AM
This is grep. You can just grep all the files, and it will tell you WHICH ones have it. If you combined them all into ONE file, you would be back where you started!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Apr 2009 at 7:58 PM Last edited by robertce : 15th Apr 2009 at 9:00 PM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. M. Pescado
This is grep. You can just grep all the files, and it will tell you WHICH ones have it. If you combined them all into ONE file, you would be back where you started!


Thanks, I downloaded grep. I was able to find 6 spells in the pie menu strings located in the C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Apartment Life\TSData\Res\Objects\objects.package!!
Where are the 0x12E files?
Also where else might the spells be located?
Grep really is a great program!
Back to top