Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Site Helper
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Apr 2009 at 11:39 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 30th Apr 2009 at 5:30 PM.
Default CopyLot - Copy a lot into another neighborhood.
Copy a lot into a neighborhood. Especially useful for roadless lots, such as the lots shipped with Sims Castaway Stories, since the game won't allow roadless lots to be moved or placed in a neighborhood. A possible enhancement would allow community lots to be added to an in-game map.

Strategy:
- use technique from http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=275135
- adjust the elevation of the lot, similar to the logic in HoodReplace.
Advertisement
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#2 Old 3rd May 2009 at 6:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
Copy a lot into a neighborhood. Especially useful for roadless lots, such as the lots shipped with Sims Castaway Stories, since the game won't allow roadless lots to be moved or placed in a neighborhood. A possible enhancement would allow community lots to be added to an in-game map.
This is almost trivially easy and represents only a minor variation on repair techniques used to splice lots that get "lost" from neighborhoods: Copy the Lot Descriptor of the missing lot from its original source into the target neighborhood, possibly changing instance values, and if moving from a different source hood rather than relinking a lost descriptor, copy NXXX_LotYYYYY and rename accordingly to match instance. It is even possible to create "Tardis" lots that exist simultaneously in two or more subhoods in this manner, a technique I have used to edit the normally "uneditable" lots that exist in expansion-specific subhoods.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Jun 2009 at 5:18 AM
Mootilda,

Cool. :D

J. M. Pescado,

I believe there're some modders (including you, Mootilda, and me) who can definitely do so easily and fast, but let's think of those without such skills and knowledges.
lol, the reasons to have to a tool like this can be to ease the process as well as to let much more people capable of doing so. Why not?

Say grid point modding, it's definitely easy for those who know what they're doing and esp. those who can programme. With an external Hex-editor, one can just replace all the planned values made by build tool in-game with the desired ones in just a few clicks or at most simple modifications. However, many others may not be so inspired or motivated or free with spare time to learn all the basic knowledges before they can do so. They may not be "awesome" in such modding, but they may be able to make "awesome" lots with TS2GridAdjuster without most of those knowledges.

The tutorial I made has only up to about 123 downloads since released (about a year by now), not counting 2 of my trials and probably some re-downloads. It's such a waste of knowledge if TS2GridAdjuster hasn't emerged and got released.
Test Subject
#4 Old 25th Aug 2011 at 12:49 AM
So, your saying with the additional instruction found on the starting post here, we could essentially copy Castaway lots to the main TS2 game?

After researching this over at MATY's topics about the Stories' game, I immediately figured it was almost impossible, if not definitely, especially those of us who know next to nothing about tools such as SimPE. (I personally have used it some, but nothing strenous like creating an object or hack, otherwise I'd have uploads by now)

So I just would like confirmation before attempting, as I don't like screwing things up.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Aug 2011 at 3:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by NekoGirl
So, your saying with the additional instruction found on the starting post here, we could essentially copy Castaway lots to the main TS2 game?
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that this technique is particularly useful for copying Castaway lots to Castaway neighborhoods, or roadless Sims 2 lots to Sims 2 neighborhoods.
Test Subject
#6 Old 26th Aug 2011 at 2:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that this technique is particularly useful for copying Castaway lots to Castaway neighborhoods, or roadless Sims 2 lots to Sims 2 neighborhoods.

Okay, I had the feeling I was completely off with that idea. Thanks for the quick reply!
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#7 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 4:46 PM
Or for those of us trying to move entire neighborhoods over the safe way. I had a damn fun time trying to move plasticbox's Elsewhere in as a Vacation hood.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#8 Old 10th Sep 2011 at 6:54 PM
You should have just created a version of Elsewhere that was a vacation subhood template.
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#9 Old 11th Sep 2011 at 5:12 PM
I tried that first, but for some reason had trouble with it. I think I was worried about it not having the appropriate vacation townies to go with it. Pb gave instructions on how to move lots between hoods in her post and it worked quite well though.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 25th Mar 2012 at 6:49 PM
Is there a way to look at the terrain and estimate the Z value for a particular location?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Mar 2012 at 4:20 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 26th Mar 2012 at 6:56 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by miros1
Is there a way to look at the terrain and estimate the Z value for a particular location?
Are you asking about the neighborhood terrain? There's an array of elevation values in the Neighborhood Terrain Geometry record in the neighborhood package:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=NHTG

The lot elevations are stored in 3D Array instance 1 in the lot package:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...nstance_ID_0x01

The lot elevation values are relative to the zero-point of the lot, which is usually the elevation of the road. To find the neighborhood elevation of a point on the lot, add the elevation of the lot in the neighborhood to the relative elevation of the grid point on the lot.

The elevation of the lot is stored in the Lot Description in the neighborhood package:
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=DESC

If that doesn't answer your question, could you please be more specific about what you want to know? I wasn't sure whether you were asking from a programming standpoint, a game play standpoint, a modding standpoint, etc.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Mar 2012 at 3:14 PM
One thing that I forgot to mention, which may be helpful: HoodReplace contains logic to adjust a lot's elevation to match the neighborhood terrain. The source code is available in the download thread. You're welcome to steal the algorithm. If you come up with a better algorithm, I'd love the chance to steal yours.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 7th Apr 2012 at 9:23 PM
I think that info should help me crack the nut I'm working on.